gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:42:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Jon Stebbins Thread  (Read 139778 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »

I considered posting this elsewhere on the general on-topic forum, but then I thought 'hey, there is a thread for this author' and so here I am!

I read all of your book on Dennis yesterday. The obvious and immediate benefit was that of extolling the virtues of Dennis as a (severely underrated and underused) musician, artiste, and person. Conversely, it also made it really hard to not keep disliking Mike. For someone who supposedly cares about his family he has an odd way of expressing it... I get the impression that the Lovester is a shrewd businessman first and foremost and that although he loved his family, when they got in the way of the gravy train, he was, shall we say, a wee bit callous. At the risk of making this delightfully simple, one-dimensional portrait more complex -- and so to ruin the quaint narrative -- can you comment a little more on your own impressions with Mike?

Forgive me if this question has been asked far too many times before and is, at this point, absurdly uninteresting to you.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2010, 01:23:20 PM »

I considered posting this elsewhere on the general on-topic forum, but then I thought 'hey, there is a thread for this author' and so here I am!

I read all of your book on Dennis yesterday. The obvious and immediate benefit was that of extolling the virtues of Dennis as a (severely underrated and underused) musician, artiste, and person. Conversely, it also made it really hard to not keep disliking Mike. For someone who supposedly cares about his family he has an odd way of expressing it... I get the impression that the Lovester is a shrewd businessman first and foremost and that although he loved his family, when they got in the way of the gravy train, he was, shall we say, a wee bit callous. At the risk of making this delightfully simple, one-dimensional portrait more complex -- and so to ruin the quaint narrative -- can you comment a little more on your own impressions with Mike?

Forgive me if this question has been asked far too many times before and is, at this point, absurdly uninteresting to you.
My personal impressions of Mike have improved to a degree since I wrote that book in '98/'99. However, any honest book on Dennis would need to explore the negative side of the Dennis/Mike dynamic and mine did from an admittedly pro-Dennis stance. It could have been worse and I have the interviews to prove it. But yes, that book frames Mike as a kind of Dennis nemesis and for that story i think it holds true. If you ever have occasion to read my David Marks bio from 2007 The Lost Beach Boy you'll see that Mike is one of the most positive characters in that story. He comes off as one of the good people in Dave's tale. Different stories, different perspectives. Is Mike a hero or villain? Depends on who you ask. From the BB's extended family of people I've interviewed there are more who would count him as villain, but less of them who would say that on the record. So, not everyone's favorite guy, but one that still commands respect.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »

My personal impressions of Mike have improved to a degree since I wrote that book in '98/'99. However, any honest book on Dennis would need to explore the negative side of the Dennis/Mike dynamic and mine did from an admittedly pro-Dennis stance. It could have been worse and I have the interviews to prove it. But yes, that book frames Mike as a kind of Dennis nemesis and for that story i think it holds true. If you ever have occasion to read my David Marks bio from 2007 The Lost Beach Boy you'll see that Mike is one of the most positive characters in that story. He comes off as one of the good people in Dave's tale. Different stories, different perspectives. Is Mike a hero or villain? Depends on who you ask. From the BB's extended family of people I've interviewed there are more who would count him as villain, but less of them who would say that on the record. So, not everyone's favorite guy, but one that still commands respect.

I have not read your book on Marks, unfortunately, although it's definitely on my to-read list! It is curious though, that he comes across so positively when dealing with David Marks, as you say. I'm sure you discuss this in your book so forgive me if this too is a mundane question (or one with an obvious answer) but do you think Mike's geniality towards David is because he was not family? I mean, surely while David was in the band from around its formation to 1963, Mike had enough time to get a good sense of who 'David Marks' was -- and I don't think Mike was so adamantly anti-drug at that point, so.... what else could it be? I don't think it's quite that simple, of course, because although Brian and Dennis [I am here bracketing out Carl because I'm not entirely sure of their relationship] were family, Mike still seemed to treat them less than respectfully at times. They were, after all, also significant contributors (or in some cases hindrances) to money-makin'! What I mean to say is, do you think David's relative distance from the family dynamic of The Beach Boys made him "lucky" in that way?

Why are people so reluctant to speak poorly on record about Mike, anyway? Is it simply that he's so litigious? It's not like he's scared of running his mouth about stuff, whether informed or not; on record or otherwise!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »

Basically, in the Beach Boys world, everyone works for / is related to / is best friends with / was married to / slept with everyone else -- or may at some point. So everyone knows dirt about everyone else, and everyone is fairly willing to dish if you're a fan and polite. But everyone is also off the record on the subject because there's still a living in playing the music or enjoyment in staying in the family. So everyone tries to stay in the good graces of Mike / Brian's org / Al, etc.

So basically, yeah. You'll hear super bad stuff about Mike. You'll hear crazy stuff about Brian -- let's just say that "out of it" doesn't begin to describe the man some days. And Al certainly hasn't been sunshine and light all the time. But while it's fun to talk about in private, it definitely doesn't pay to broadcast stuff -- about any of the BRI principals.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:02:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »

Mr. Stebbins.... I've been dying to read The Real Beach Boy for a while now, but read that a new version is coming out. I'd much rather see the money spent go into your pocket rather than those of the sleaze merchants making a profit off your work on Amazon. Waiting for the new version is definitely going to be worth it, right?  Smiley

No mas, por favor.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »

Jon, I may have asked this before.  But, what are the odds, in you opinion, of ever seeing a Carl Wilson bio?  Some great stuff there and I think there is so much below the surface, behind the scenes, the early years and the later years, that would make a fascinating, low key, yet powerful story.

The youngest Wilson brother, quietly taking the reins of the Beach boys while his older brothers deal with other issues and interests.  The strong, gentle baby brother.  His struggles with drugs and temptations.  His insistance on high quality BB performances.  The solo years and music, the return, his relationship with Dean Martin, his wives, Billy, and Dino.  His battle with Cancer.  And so much more on his relationships and influences within the band.

That is a great idea! Out of the whole band, I think Carl is the most overlooked. Which is a shame, with everything that he did behind the scenes. I mean, the guy was just barely out of school and he had to basically "replace" his brother in the band that was going head to head with bands such as The Beatles. Being a kid just out of school is damn near impossible in itself.

I once read that because Carl kept his private life very secret to the outside world, that's the way his family and friends want to keep it. But maybe they are also scared by all those terrible Beach Boys-books that did more damage to the band than one might think. Fortunately the last decade or so saw the release on some very, very good books written with respect while telling the truth

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »

Mr. Stebbins.... I've been dying to read The Real Beach Boy for a while now, but read that a new version is coming out. I'd much rather see the money spent go into your pocket rather than those of the sleaze merchants making a profit off your work on Amazon. Waiting for the new version is definitely going to be worth it, right?  Smiley
I have been working (on and off) on an expanded, updated and revised version, and I'd say its a safe bet it will be worth the wait. However, the wait is still an undetermined length as I have other projects eating up much of my time, making it hard to make consistent progress. Ive already blown my self set deadline twice, and will probably blow it again if i set another one. I'll announce it here when its ready, hopefully that won't be too terribly much longer. I have another Beach Boys book coming out this year...

http://halleonardbooks.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=332994&lid=8&keywords=FAQ&menuid=10283&subsiteid=168&

http://halleonardbooks.com/search/search.do?subsiteid=168&keywords=FAQ&menuid=10283
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »

I was at Book Expo this week and was happy to see that the folks at Hal Leonard had your upcoming title prominently displayed.  Looking forward to reading it.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2011, 12:31:11 AM »

Aloha Jon - Enjoyed your interview on Icon Fetch.  I think you are a wonderful journalist and I greatly enjoy your books.

Reading your posts on the Carol Kaye thread, you, rightfully so, frustrate over journalists not doing their homework and spreading false facts about Dennis 'the drummer', or, in other threads/print, about David Marks membership in the Beach Boys.  And how these erroneous statements become embedded in the public's mind as fact.

But I have to point out that you were somewhat guilty of the same thing in your Icon Fetch interview (unless they cut it).  You (obviously) correctly state that David was living across the street, on the first four albums and Al didn't play on an album until number three.  And, of course, the Carl/David signature guitar sound.  Anyone listening though, not familiar with the real story, would certainly think Al Jardine was not an original member.

I'm sure you get tired of explaining the tricky story that how they were both original members (Al being on the first single 'Surfin').

Apologies for being picky bout that.  I know the interview was time limited and the Al/David story does take a few minutes.

Aloha and happy holidays!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »

I loved Beach Boys FAQ! It was one of the easiest, most entertaining pieces of work I have ever read. Thank you! Looking forward to your comments after the reunion is said and done.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2012, 12:56:23 AM »

Aloha Jon - Enjoyed your interview on Icon Fetch.  I think you are a wonderful journalist and I greatly enjoy your books.

Reading your posts on the Carol Kaye thread, you, rightfully so, frustrate over journalists not doing their homework and spreading false facts about Dennis 'the drummer', or, in other threads/print, about David Marks membership in the Beach Boys.  And how these erroneous statements become embedded in the public's mind as fact.

But I have to point out that you were somewhat guilty of the same thing in your Icon Fetch interview (unless they cut it).  You (obviously) correctly state that David was living across the street, on the first four albums and Al didn't play on an album until number three.  And, of course, the Carl/David signature guitar sound.  Anyone listening though, not familiar with the real story, would certainly think Al Jardine was not an original member.

I'm sure you get tired of explaining the tricky story that how they were both original members (Al being on the first single 'Surfin').

Apologies for being picky bout that.  I know the interview was time limited and the Al/David story does take a few minutes.

Jon - Bummed you didn't address this.  And to think I've bought all your books. Sigh...........

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2012, 01:15:04 AM »

Jon - Bummed you didn't address this.  And to think I've bought all your books. Sigh...........

Instead of being bummed, maybe you could bump your post letting him know that even though he's a very busy man, you'd love a few moments of his time and you're bumping the thread just in case he missed your question. 

Or maybe your post just wasn't worth a response.  Wink LOL Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2012, 02:04:16 AM »

Maybe it'll all be explained in Jon's next book "Al Jardine – the Clean Beach Boy"…  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2012, 02:18:25 AM »

Maybe it'll all be explained in Jon's next book "Al Jardine – the Clean Beach Boy"…  Grin

I'd read it. It's weird how many people I know who know people but I don't have that many stories.  Al's book would be the shortest I think, but he had the right idea: buy a piece of paradise on the central California coast and live there forever. He's certainly never had his mind shattered or sued his family members a bunch of times.

Any plans for more Beach Boys books, Jon? You could write the companion books for Lost & Real and then release a box set when they're all done!!!

But defnininitely rerelease teh Dennis book before that happens.

No mas, por favor.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »

I'd read it too (I thought you were using past tense for a second when I saw your reply -  thought I'd missed a book!), and yes, Al seems to have thought along the same lines as Neil Young in terms of buying a piece of California and living in peace.  Broken Arrow, Red Barn…

Visited the California coast, including Big Sur, in around 2001 or 02 and loved it to bits. Noticed Al's name in the list of benefactors at the Monterey Bay Aquarium too, so he's not just there to reap the benefits but is putting something back in.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 19, 2012, 01:01:49 AM »

Aloha Jon - Enjoyed your interview on Icon Fetch.  I think you are a wonderful journalist and I greatly enjoy your books.

Reading your posts on the Carol Kaye thread, you, rightfully so, frustrate over journalists not doing their homework and spreading false facts about Dennis 'the drummer', or, in other threads/print, about David Marks membership in the Beach Boys.  And how these erroneous statements become embedded in the public's mind as fact.

But I have to point out that you were somewhat guilty of the same thing in your Icon Fetch interview (unless they cut it).  You (obviously) correctly state that David was living across the street, on the first four albums and Al didn't play on an album until number three.  And, of course, the Carl/David signature guitar sound.  Anyone listening though, not familiar with the real story, would certainly think Al Jardine was not an original member.

Apologies for being picky bout that.  I know the interview was time limited and the Al/David story does take a few minutes.

Jon - Bummed you didn't address this.  And to think I've bought all your books. Sigh...........

Instead of being bummed, maybe you could bump your post letting him know that even though he's a very busy man, you'd love a few moments of his time and you're bumping the thread just in case he missed your question.  

Or maybe your post just wasn't worth a response.  Wink LOL Cool Guy

Jon posts on the board all the time.  Yeah, you're right though he is busy.

Obviously, you haven't heard the interview. Geek
But try a little humor  bro (instead of slinging the do do). Like John Manning above, who gave me a good laugh.  Funny!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:51:06 AM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 19, 2012, 03:21:49 PM »

Aloha Jon - Enjoyed your interview on Icon Fetch.  I think you are a wonderful journalist and I greatly enjoy your books.

Reading your posts on the Carol Kaye thread, you, rightfully so, frustrate over journalists not doing their homework and spreading false facts about Dennis 'the drummer', or, in other threads/print, about David Marks membership in the Beach Boys.  And how these erroneous statements become embedded in the public's mind as fact.

But I have to point out that you were somewhat guilty of the same thing in your Icon Fetch interview (unless they cut it).  You (obviously) correctly state that David was living across the street, on the first four albums and Al didn't play on an album until number three.  And, of course, the Carl/David signature guitar sound.  Anyone listening though, not familiar with the real story, would certainly think Al Jardine was not an original member.

Apologies for being picky bout that.  I know the interview was time limited and the Al/David story does take a few minutes.

Jon - Bummed you didn't address this.  And to think I've bought all your books. Sigh...........

But try a little humor  bro (instead of slinging the do do). Like John Manning above, who gave me a good laugh.  Funny!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was full of humor; maybe you just didn't understand?
And probably, Jon has better things to do than check his self-named thread and address things that don't need to be addressed

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »

I thought it was full of humor; maybe you just didn't understand?
And probably, Jon has better things to do than check his self-named thread and address things that don't need to be addressed
John Manning is a funny dude. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:54:24 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »

Whoa...sorry about not responding to all of the above posts. Because this "Honored Guest" section or thread is separated from the normal/general threads...I rarely think to check it. Usually I just scan the general thread topics and if there's one I want to read or comment on i go there, then I leave the board. I need to start checking in here as part of my routine.

To Surf Rider...thanks for pointing the thing about Al out. I haven't listened to the interview since I did it...but I understand what you're saying. Since nearly every short bio or snippet regarding the Beach Boys lists Al as the orig. member and ignores David, i tend to try to emphasize his original Beach Boy status, and if i did it in a way that diminished Al's founder status that was wrong of course. I think the point I often make is that the press...pop music press, teen mag press etc... from the earliest mentions of the Beach Boys until 1964 never utter the words Al Jardine. If you were to discover the Beach Boys in say 62 or 63 as a lot of us did, there was never any indication that a guy named Al played in the band and was replaced by Dave. Dave was always written up as one of the original members of the group. Then, suddenly in '64 there was this other guy. And at that point the story changed to, well he was the original member, and the other guy Dave was just filling in. And that's the way its been told ever since...until a few of us started reminding people that that was basically propaganda and that both Al and Dave were part of the genesis of the Beach Boys. I need to remember that not everyone is up to speed on that fact yet.

To Stack, Melt, Bgas, and John...Like Al, I have a little piece of the Central Coast of California too. Actually i rent one...but I live with my family near Morro Bay, its a beautiful place, and on a clear day i can see all the way up to Big Sur and i always wave to Al in case he's looking down the coast. I do have plans for more Beach Boys books, revising and expanding the Dennis book, and then there's a couple others in the works too. Not a book on Al or Carl or any individual (Other than Dennis), but two more on various aspects of the whole group. Everything will be announced later this year...til then i have to stay quiet about the details. There's also the possibility of another documentary focusing on the Beach Boys reunion etc...but from a much different angle than the official one that is also in the works...I'm talking to people about all of that now. Might happen, might not.

Thanks so much to the people who read my books, and more thanks to those who then take the time to comment on them...I'm a lucky guy, and I really appreciate the great people on this board.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

Whoa...sorry about not responding to all of the above posts. Because this "Honored Guest" section or thread is separated from the normal/general threads...I rarely think to check it. Usually I just scan the general thread topics and if there's one I want to read or comment on i go there, then I leave the board. I need to start checking in here as part of my routine.

To Surf Rider...thanks for pointing the thing about Al out. I haven't listened to the interview since I did it...but I understand what you're saying. Since nearly every short bio or snippet regarding the Beach Boys lists Al as the orig. member and ignores David, i tend to try to emphasize his original Beach Boy status, and if i did it in a way that diminished Al's founder status that was wrong of course. I think the point I often make is that the press...pop music press, teen mag press etc... from the earliest mentions of the Beach Boys until 1964 never utter the words Al Jardine. If you were to discover the Beach Boys in say 62 or 63 as a lot of us did, there was never any indication that a guy named Al played in the band and was replaced by Dave. Dave was always written up as one of the original members of the group. Then, suddenly in '64 there was this other guy. And at that point the story changed to, well he was the original member, and the other guy Dave was just filling in. And that's the way its been told ever since...until a few of us started reminding people that that was basically propaganda and that both Al and Dave were part of the genesis of the Beach Boys. I need to remember that not everyone is up to speed on that fact yet.

To Stack, Melt, Bgas, and John...Like Al, I have a little piece of the Central Coast of California too. Actually i rent one...but I live with my family near Morro Bay, its a beautiful place, and on a clear day i can see all the way up to Big Sur and i always wave to Al in case he's looking down the coast. I do have plans for more Beach Boys books, revising and expanding the Dennis book, and then there's a couple others in the works too. Not a book on Al or Carl or any individual (Other than Dennis), but two more on various aspects of the whole group. Everything will be announced later this year...til then i have to stay quiet about the details. There's also the possibility of another documentary focusing on the Beach Boys reunion etc...but from a much different angle than the official one that is also in the works...I'm talking to people about all of that now. Might happen, might not.

Thanks so much to the people who read my books, and more thanks to those who then take the time to comment on them...I'm a lucky guy, and I really appreciate the great people on this board.

Thanks Jon.  I truly get how frustrating the David think must be.  I think it's generally accepted in rock and roll that, if you are on the first album, you are an original member.  I never hear Ringo getting dogged for not being an original member.  Al was on the first single.  David was around but not on the session.

I have to confess that when I got into the Beach Boys in 1972, I just assumed Al was there from the start.  Plus, I was listening to Carl and the Passions and Holland, not the first three albums.  I was a baby when records came out with David, not Al.  Kudos to you for setting history straight (and continuually trying to).

And I can't wait to see David Marks, original Beach Boy, playing those famous licks live with the band again.  It's sad we don't have Carl and Dennis, but we do get David again.

Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »

Awesome! I'll be on the look out for sure, can't wait!!

CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »

Hi Jon,

Good to see you posting on here! I have a question about a passage in your book. Whilst talking about Time To Get Alone you say that Carl's produced version was not good enough so it went un-released. Is this your opinion or did Carl/Brian decide it wasn't quite good enough to release as single? I for one would have loved this to have become public property but it would be interesting to know what stopped it being a hit.

Thanks in advance! Smiley

C
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2012, 08:37:22 AM »

Hi Jon,

Good to see you posting on here! I have a question about a passage in your book. Whilst talking about Time To Get Alone you say that Carl's produced version was not good enough so it went un-released. Is this your opinion or did Carl/Brian decide it wasn't quite good enough to release as single? I for one would have loved this to have become public property but it would be interesting to know what stopped it being a hit.

Thanks in advance! Smiley

C
Hi,
I heard the Carl produced version some years ago and it struck me as more minimal and kind of murky compared to Brian's track. I'm not an expert on the chronology of those sessions but I assume Carl's was recorded later than Brian's...probably in late '68 or early '69. The exact reason why Carl took a crack at the song is a mystery to me, but maybe he felt the Brian version was more of a Redwood song than a Beach Boys song. Anyway, i think Brian's track with the Beach Boys vocals on it is a fantastic recording, and in comparison Carl's was kind of half baked and I think incomplete. But its certainly a fascinating piece of music no matter.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »

Thanks for the reply Jon. Time to Get Alone is by far the best BB song in my eyes and my favourite song of all time. All versions are magical. I just love it and want to know more about the history of it, people's thoughts about the recordings etc. Is there much on this?
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »

While I've already read (and enjoyed) FAQ cover-to-cover, I still occasionally open it & just read at random; it's always interesting. Today, I happened to read an Alan interview from August, 2009, about the possibility of a BB reunion (page 272). He was "adamant that a full-scale tour- rather than a TV special- would be needed to see him take the stage as a Beach Boy again" (Howie Edelson's words describing Alan's feelings) & that "you rehearse your ass off, make it the best you can, and you tour as a unit" (a direct Jardine quote). Well, 2 & 1/2 years later, the first part is about to happen. Kind of eerie. Who would have ever thought this could happen in 2009? BTW, later in the interview, even Alan said he didn't think it would. I sure hope all band members believe in the second statement.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx