gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 07:30:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 136986 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: October 21, 2011, 11:33:14 PM »

well, of course they're gonna avoid the stream, too! anything short of owning a physical copy is A SPOILER.

I am listening to this album for the third time, and it's growing on me. I fear that no matter how mediocre a product Brian puts out my subconscious will eventually convince me that I like it, just because it's Brian. I'm really diggin' this. I thought Colors of the Wind was really terrible, thought it took all the life out of the song. But now I see it as a slow groover. Jeff's backing vocals don't seem as obnoxious as they seemed to me during the first two listens. After the album ends I'm probably going to listen to it again. I'm being completely serious here.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 22, 2011, 12:04:34 AM »

well, of course they're gonna avoid the stream, too! anything short of owning a physical copy is A SPOILER.

I am listening to this album for the third time, and it's growing on me. I fear that no matter how mediocre a product Brian puts out my subconscious will eventually convince me that I like it, just because it's Brian. I'm really diggin' this. I thought Colors of the Wind was really terrible, thought it took all the life out of the song. But now I see it as a slow groover. Jeff's backing vocals don't seem as obnoxious as they seemed to me during the first two listens. After the album ends I'm probably going to listen to it again. I'm being completely serious here.

The vocal arrangement on Colours of the Wind is actually really lovely.

The other vocal highlights are the outro to Baby Mine, and the brief vocal interlude (where Brian briefly pops up in the harmony) in Can You Feel...
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: October 23, 2011, 07:00:42 AM »

Before he's done I'd like an In The Key Of Disney 2  Cool with some real classic stuff. Think this ITKOD is a bit disappointing... no 'Zip-a-dee-doo-dah' for starters nor 'Chim-chim-cheree', nor 'A Whale of a Tale'. Not gonna happen.

And I still cannot figure out the shadow beneath the Woody on the cover in relation to the light source. Looks a bit odd.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: October 23, 2011, 11:10:44 AM »

I fear that no matter how mediocre a product Brian puts out my subconscious will eventually convince me that I like it, just because it's Brian.

I thought that way too once upon a time, but then I heard 'Speed Turtle'...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 23, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »

I fear that no matter how mediocre a product Brian puts out my subconscious will eventually convince me that I like it, just because it's Brian.

I thought that way too once upon a time, but then I heard 'Speed Turtle'...
I buy them all, but I rarely, if ever listen to them again. Except for BWPS and Gershwin, the other CDs just sit on the shelf.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 24, 2011, 05:13:35 AM »

Decided to buy it. Glad I cancelled my CD for $9.99 though. Got the MP3 album for $3.99 and it had an extra track on it.

Gonna listen later though. I have a class soon and I'm listening to other music for my history of rock class currently.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 24, 2011, 08:26:08 AM »

Yeah...such awful timing for this release lol. I'll review it then:

1. You've got a Friend in Me: Not bad but not crazy about the arrangement. Too "rocking". Interesting "Love You" style synths however.
2. The Bare Necessities: Really love the into. I'm digging this after not originally liking it at first. The monkey hollering is a bit much though  LOL
3. Baby Mine: Not bad. Wish it was sung slower. Bridge is fantastic.
4. Kiss the Girl: Interesting gospel intro that goes right into a "Mexican girl" like track. Why did they take so many of those great background parts (Ya-YA-ya-ya's and the whoa whoas)? Really could have been much better.
5. Colors of the Wind: Great track. I really don't like the original version of the song but this arrangement is fantastic. Nice vocal by Brian as well.
6. Can you feel the love tonight?: Nice bridge but I'm disappointed with this. Uninspired arrangement of one of my favorite Disney songs.
7. We Belong Together: This is the only Disney song I haven't heard out of all of these. Once again there's a Mexican Girl vibe. Twice guys? Seriously?
8. I Just Can't Wait to be King: Very similar to Bo Diddley...and by that I mean the song. Also, the lyrics are based on the Elton sung version which approximately 4 people have ever heard  LOL Oh and this isn't really that great ala Can you feel.
9. Stay Awake: Wow...what a vocal! Such a sweet performance by Brian. This is easily my favorite track.
10. Heigh-Ho / Whistle While You Work/Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life For Me): Great instrumental linking these songs. Very SMiLE like.
11. When You Wish Upon a Star: Another great performance that is not overloaded. Perfect ending track.

Overall, I'm disappointed in overall. It's not THAT bad but there was so much potential here and it was half-assed. The last few songs though are VERY good but just not enough to save it from a few others (especially the Lion King tracks) which are just terrible.

Will have to review the bonus tracks later. Gotta head to class.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 24, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »

So yes, you can buy the entire album for $3.99 from the Amazon MP3 store.

If you want to buy the physical copy you can buy the extra tracks separately from Amazon! This is a change for the better.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: October 24, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »

So yes, you can buy the entire album for $3.99 from the Amazon MP3 store.

If you want to buy the physical copy you can buy the extra tracks separately from Amazon! This is a change for the better.

IF you live in the USA.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »

Interesting gospel intro that goes right into a "Mexican girl" like track. Why did they take so many of those great background parts (Ya-YA-ya-ya's and the whoa whoas)? Really could have been much better.

To my ears, it's not like Mexican Girl at all. It's a full-blown Spector homage. (They do both have castanets, I suppose.) And for my money, a really breathtaking track and reinterpretation.

I will say that I definitely like the album more than you, but I agree overall on the Lion King tracks. Not the best moments here. Although we've had numerous people pop up recently touting the CYFTLT, so who knows ...
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 24, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »

Bonus tracks:
A Dream is a Wish your Heart makes: Intro is very Sail on Sailor like but a nice production. This has become another favorite. I like the end ("A wish that your heart makes...HEART) because it just seems very Brian.
Peace on Earth: Another nice song. These two bonus songs plus the price make getting the MP3 album an easy choice.

On the other hand though, Brian's management tweeted to get the album for $3.99...tomorrow  LOL
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 24, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »

The more I hear "Baby Mine" the more I love it. Simply beautiful...

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 24, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »

I'm going to buy this on my way to work in the morning, as is my tradition with every one of my favorite musicians.  All I've heard so far is "Whistle While You Work" which I thought was fantastic.  So I've got about 10 hours to go!  Brian! I'm sending you 10 bucks tommorow! LOL

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 24, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »

I should be gettin the Disney cd + the new DVD from The Hollies on Thursday..!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42:20 PM »

I have to say, the bonus tracks on this are the real deal. Seems like we've been pretty consistently getting bonus tracks from BW since the beginning of his solo career -- and some of them are essential, some not. Almost all of them could be used for expanded versions of albums ...

BW 88

All the b-sides, etc. This expanded album is already out, actually!

IJWMFTT

This Song Wants to Sleep With You (only one b-side, but what a b-side!)

OCA

What a Wonderful World (poor-quality copy floating around out there -- outstanding)
Rhapsody in Blue (unbooted)

Imagination

In My Room (live -- meh.)
Imagination, South American vocals only mixes (nice but inessential)

GIOMH

Don't Worry Baby (with Wendy and Carnie -- has it ever been established where this track came from or why it was made?)

BWPS

Multiple instrumental-only tracks -- all gorgeous.

TLOS

Good Kind of Love w/ Carole King
I'm Into Something Good w/ Carole King
Oh Mi Amor
Message Man
Just Like Me and You (All except the first are essential)

BWRG

Let's Call the Whole thing Off (meh. Really points out how of-a-piece the finished album was)

ITKoD

A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes
Peace on Earth (both really sweet tunes -- kicked off, I would think, to make space for some of the 80s and 90s vintage stuff)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: October 26, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »

I picked this album up today.  I really really like "Colors of the Wind", I can't believe how uh... 'delicately' he sings the song.  It sounds like "Busy doin' Nothin".  Beautiful.  It kind of has the treatment that Don Was gave him... he's trying to showcase his vocal, more than the production which stays out of the way for most of the song.  What you're left with is Brian singing like a 7 year old child.  On a Disney album, and on a beautiful song, it works IMHO.  He does the same thing, pretty much, with "Can You Feel The Love Tonight".  I think they're both excellent, although I imagine it wouldn't be everybody's taste.  I've rarely heard Brian sing so reserved.  Absolutely beautiful vocals in my opinion.  If he ever has anybody ask if his voice is still there, all he has to do is play one of those two tracks.  He literally sounds like a child in parts.  He sounds younger than he did in the Beach Boys.  It's incredible.  Again it wouldn't work on everything, but it sure works on these two.  I'm not saying they're better than the originals, I'm just saying Brian put his touch on them and they're beautiful.

Most of these songs I have either never heard, or have heard very rarely.  I don't think the Newmann songs are done very well.  He has a certain style of songwriting that in my opinion clashes with Brian's style of singing.  It just doesn't work.  Sadly, I'm going to have to join the masses and say I wish he would have done the album a little less democraticaly, and just did more classic songs.  No It's a Small World?  No "Song of the South"?  I mean there's probably 50 songs he could have done that are better than some of the stuff on the album.  I'm the type, too, that enjoys the newer movies, I just think Brian would have fit better with some of the real classic stuff.  Chim Chim Cheree?  Come on.  Predictably, I loved Bare Necessities, Baby Mine, and Heigh Ho.  

I've only listened once, I'll have to give it some more time on some of the songs I'm not really familiar with.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:29:48 AM by Ron » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: October 26, 2011, 12:28:52 AM »

"Song of the South" is super taboo. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone covering a song from that other than zippa dee doo dah.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 26, 2011, 12:30:59 AM »

That's the song I meant, I don't know if I've ever even heard Song of the South, but I think that was also the name of the movie.  People are too damn uptight though, I guess that's easy for me to say though since I'm not black, lol. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 26, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »

Disney got 8 stars in the latest NME review section. NME's for young hipsters, so that's cool.

Though I'm assuming that's so they can give Smile 10 and claim they've always supported BW's wacky work!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: October 26, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »

"Song of the South" is super taboo. you'd be hard pressed to find anyone covering a song from that other than zippa dee doo dah.

Apparently up for reissue on DVD/BluRay next year.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: October 26, 2011, 02:49:27 AM »

I have to say, the bonus tracks on this are the real deal. Seems like we've been pretty consistently getting bonus tracks from BW since the beginning of his solo career -- and some of them are essential, some not. Almost all of them could be used for expanded versions of albums ...

GIOMH

Don't Worry Baby (with Wendy and Carnie -- has it ever been established where this track came from or why it was made?)

I know someone was lobbying for "Believe In Yourself" to be included on this, as a bonus or in the body of the album. Then again, I know it was also suggested that the album not be released at all; both excellent suggestions, IMVEO.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:36 AM »

Can you imagine? We'd be all talking about another botched album project of original material, done at the same time Brian was recording BWPS and whilst he was obviously in good form, and apparently it has the band on it, and the arrangements are the best of his solo career thus far, and it was the wife&managers fault and, and......  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #772 on: October 26, 2011, 02:59:11 AM »

Anyone know if the Amazon bonus tracks will be released on Amazon UK?  If not, can someone Perhaps Mail me? Please!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: October 26, 2011, 03:58:29 AM »

Anyone know if the Amazon bonus tracks will be released on Amazon UK?  If not, can someone Perhaps Mail me? Please!!!

I covered myself by ordering the US version from the US. Price is so low it's hardly an issue, but the shipping's slow.

“We live in divisive times.”
MBE
« Reply #774 on: October 26, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »

GIOMH

I know someone was lobbying for "Believe In Yourself" to be included on this, as a bonus or in the body of the album. Then again, I know it was also suggested that the album not be released at all; both excellent suggestions, IMVEO.  Grin

Well as there is no vinyl I really will put hearing this one on hold. Bad idea.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:11:48 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx