gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 05:51:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 136477 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 14, 2011, 06:10:03 PM »

Saw people complaining about how Brian hasn't "evolved" over time in talking about this album. It baffles me how people can even think most folks are capable of keeping up with their creative peak a decade after the fact, let alone a good 45 years after the fact. *shakes head*

Tom Waits, anyone?

Definitely Tom waits.

I would also put out there The Flaming Lips.

also some of the classical masters did there best works well into old age: Liszt, Buckner, and Beethoven just to name of few.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 14, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »

I was going to say--generally with "classical" composers, their work improves as they get older; you don't get that "softening" with old age and resting on one's laurels sort of thing that a lot of people think is just a natural part of a life in music. I'm guessing there's something about working in a pop framework/context that leads artists to believe that their time and relevancy inevitably passes because of the fleeting nature of that world.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 14, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »

I think it's a mixture of several things.

1.) Classical music is complex and hard to create. It's like writing a lengthy textbook or complicated novel. Few people in their 20s can manage it at the highest level -- some can, but many more have to work until their 30s and 40s (even 50s!) to achieve real mastery or innovation.

2.) Pop music is much simpler and easier to create. I mean, anyone with a few weekends free can learn three chords on a guitar, write some words, and bash out a simple tune. But because it is, at its base, so limited, people have to work really hard to evolve as pop creators. Brian was already pushing the three-minute pop song as hard as he could in his mid-20s. What was there left for him to achieve, technically, for the rest of his career?

3.) Classical composers don't really interact with pop culture. While fashions come and go in that world, it can take decades for the winds to shift. In pop, it can be a year or two (or a month or two!). There's just an incredibly different time horizon, which discourages pop creators from taking a longer-term view. I think it's no accident that the musicians who've had the most unusual and involving latter-day careers (people like Waits), are very seldom teen idol types. They were always a little askew.

4.) Finally, classical composers aren't (always) performers. They can look as crazy as they want, or be as old as they want. The music they create is judged as its own thing. How much of what Brian does currently is judged on his odd behavior on stage, his short interviews, etc., etc.? And imagine how daunting that must feel for someone as sensitive as Brian.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 14, 2011, 06:37:14 PM »

Saw people complaining about how Brian hasn't "evolved" over time in talking about this album. It baffles me how people can even think most folks are capable of keeping up with their creative peak a decade after the fact, let alone a good 45 years after the fact. *shakes head*

Tom Waits, anyone?

Definitely Tom waits.

I would also put out there The Flaming Lips.

also some of the classical masters did there best works well into old age: Liszt, Buckner, and Beethoven just to name of few.

Of *course* there are exceptions, but it's so, so, so rare.

Brian wrote more great songs from 65-70 than just about any band or artist who's been around for 20, 30, 40 years. And then there's the good/great stuff before and after that. He worked like a dog, leave 'im fuckin' be, already. He doesn't *need* to prove himself anymore, he's done ten times as much as the average pop songwriter. And yet he still does prove himself from time to time - not with the Disney record, obviously, but yeah.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 14, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »

You're on the money, runners.

Brian is more than entitled to just do projects that interest him, like the Gershwin record. Compared to the Disney, you can tell he's really feeling those songs and wants to mould them into new forms. The leads on the Disney material are good, but the arrangements are mostly poor, imo. Give or take Stay Awake and Kiss The Girl.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: October 14, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure that booklet will have that picture of Brian with the Disney shirt from back in the day

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: October 16, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

When was it announced that "Peace on Earth" from "Lady & The Tramp" would be on this album?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: October 16, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »

Seeing as I haven't heard that song in relation to anything on this box, I must say..... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU CHATTING ABOUT

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: October 16, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-music&field-keywords=in+the+key+of+disney+brian+wilson&x=19&y=15

Check it out, track #5. It's a beautiful song.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: October 16, 2011, 05:56:04 PM »

"Peace on Earth"

Where did this song come from, sounds beautiful

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: October 16, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »

It's from "Lady & The Tramp". I have to admit, this cut and "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" are pretty inspired choices compared to a lot of the ones that made the actual album. I might have to make my own mix CD and throw these two in with the rest.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: October 16, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »

It's from "Lady & The Tramp". I have to admit, this cut and "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes" are pretty inspired choices compared to a lot of the ones that made the actual album. I might have to make my own mix CD and throw these two in with the rest.

Both sound brilliant..

Strange choice making them exclusive to amazon..

It's like "Oh Mi Amor" on the TLOS album, how that didn't make the regular album I'll never know

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: October 16, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

You've got me beat there, sir. Can't tell much from the 30 second snippet.... But what is it doing in track #5? Have they changed the sequence since the leak?

Edit - Being an eejit, don't mind me. It's the same as usual.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:14:31 PM by hypehat » Logged

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 17, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »

You've got a Friend in Me is up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMm0P35BQxg
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 17, 2011, 12:46:32 PM »

Both sound brilliant..

Strange choice making them exclusive to amazon..

It's like "Oh Mi Amor" on the TLOS album, how that didn't make the regular album I'll never know

This sounds superb -  possibly a standout, tho' that's going by the wee snippet offered there. 

Somewhat bugged by the fact that it's cheaper to order the amazon.com exclusive version and have it shipped to the UK than it is to buy the emasculated standard version.  Hadn't expected (or noticed) TWO bonus tracks. 

Ah well, a bonus is a bonus!

Any word on a vinyl release yet?

“We live in divisive times.”
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 17, 2011, 01:06:03 PM »

ugh, that foskett sound
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 17, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »

That should be an ironic "indie pop" band name or EP title: That Foskett Sound.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: October 17, 2011, 01:52:41 PM »

That should be an ironic "indie pop" band name or EP title: That Foskett Sound.

LOL

(ps, we really need 'like' buttons for posts here).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #718 on: October 17, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »

I was going to say--generally with "classical" composers, their work improves as they get older; you don't get that "softening" with old age and resting on one's laurels sort of thing that a lot of people think is just a natural part of a life in music. I'm guessing there's something about working in a pop framework/context that leads artists to believe that their time and relevancy inevitably passes because of the fleeting nature of that world.

I think whatever you do, you're at your most productive, instinctive and creative in your teens and 20's. All those synaptic pathways are flashing, connections being made over both hemispheres of the brain.

If you're lucky, you really learn your craft and find your voice during that period. Once your brain starts to wind down, you have the technical abilty to carry on in your chosen sphere.

I think a lot of classical composers were using up earlier, unused ideas in their later work, but bringing to these ideas the mature craftsmanship they had spent a lifetime honing. This is certainly true of Beethoven, whose later works are full of themes and melodies which had spent years in his notebook / head.

I find this true of myself. I find it harder and harder the older I get to create the raw material. I can still do it but it takes longer. However, when I was young I did not have the patience / technique, to fully realise my music. Now I have 25 years experience in structuring and arranging music. Thankfully I churned out so much raw material in my youth that I can live off it for years. So really it's a perfect marriage. In short, learn your craft. Music is numbers.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: October 17, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »

Wow, the "You've Got a Friend In Me" video is terrible. Why even bother if you're going to put out crap like that? I'd rather have a CG Brian singing while he does a dance in his bathrobe.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: October 17, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »

Wow, the "You've Got a Friend In Me" video is terrible. Why even bother if you're going to put out crap like that? I'd rather have a CG Brian singing while he does a dance in his bathrobe.

Better yet, put the music along with a Jib Jab of Brian
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 17, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »

They went all out!! Really stretched the budget! $4.20 of there hard earned down the drain!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 17, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »

Interesting. Everybody is a critic for a lp that hasten been released yet;;; Cool Guy.. We all know that BW is a sensitive soul.. if we had internet in 60"s nothing would have EVER been released.. Sweet Jesus stop and let him CREATE...!!!!!!!!!!!!.. Imagine tryin to create SMILE with the INTERNET watching you EVERY ..MOVE....!! COMON people.. I have purposely not listened to  anything online.. WHY..?.. cause dont U remember his reaction to KHJ L/A/.. H+V..HELLO..!!!!!!!!Let BW do what he does + accept finished product..i like the OLD days when BB released a NEW lp. .. and i had NO IDEA what was coming my way.... SCUSE me BW is not a genius.. He is a very ORIGINAL artist.. With very original influences +ideas.. even if he is half way there + band helps him out..!!!!HELLO..,, He is a true original...!!.. You dont think he doesnt hear critics  raggin on his NEW stuff,,, BW is about PEACE,,!!..And BW FINISHED ..SMILE..!!.. 2004.. toured 04/05.... He said that his released product was more positive + uplifting than original BB/SMILE.. I totally agree..!! The BB Smile Is more DARK ..OK.. In this world that we live in ...NOW.. !!.. Dont U want a positive message from BW.... HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 17, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

It is, as the title says, a lyric video. It's a specific form on YouTube these days.

One of the best-known was the original one for C-Lo's "F-You." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAV0XrbEwNc

Yes, it's cheap, but it's basically done to gauge interest and see if people want to see a more expensive, fully produced video. It's a real thing.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 17, 2011, 06:59:25 PM »

I was aware that it was playing off of the Cee Lo Green video, but at least the "f*** You" video does it classier. They gave it an old film effect and used bold solid colors, giving it an Pod ad look. Meanwhile, Brian's video looks like it was rendered by a student at a local community college, who then thought it would be cool and easy to copy off of the "f*** You" video.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx