gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681515 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 04:46:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 137044 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:09 PM »

"Kiss The Girl" is the best Brian song in a decade

Grin

Yes it is. Love the production and his vocals. It actually sounds like a hit.

You're both wrong - Stay Awake is the business, imo. Brian's vocal is so fragile. it's actually a perfect little production.
Still can't get over how great Brian's vocals are on this album.
Me too. God, I love this disc.

Same, remove "Love Tonight"  and you don't have one skippable track

Beautiful album

RIP Ghost, he lived a life of a thousand posters

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 22, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »

everything feels a lot emptier without him...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:45 PM »

He's a "nobody", he'll be back

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 22, 2011, 09:59:07 PM »

I ain't afraid of no ghost. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc Grin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:02:03 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 22, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »

i'm not familiar with the board history but i'm hopeful that'll be the truth
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 22, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »

They always do.  Roll Eyes

I  don't know, this album has a lot of missteps. The power ballads, the Newman songs (I mean, I love Randy but those are his two most insipid tracks), I Just Can't wait to be king...

At least Bare Necessities is the bestest song ever written, so that saves the entire thing  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 22, 2011, 10:06:41 PM »

I  don't know, this album has a lot of missteps. The power ballads, the Newman songs (I mean, I love Randy but those are his two most insipid tracks), I Just Can't wait to be king...

At least Bare Necessities is the bestest song ever written, so that saves the entire thing  Grin

I'm a sucker for them all  Razz Except the Elton song

*shudder*

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: September 22, 2011, 10:08:14 PM »

I even like that one! Actually, I think his vocals are better than Elton's, as Brian is singing it with no little passion.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 22, 2011, 10:09:17 PM »

This Disney album is a good album for both parents and children alike

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:30 PM »

This Disney album is a good album for both parents and children alike

Nice gift purchase too, that's my Christmas shopping sorted

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 22, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »

Gotta say, I'm in agreement on the clunkers in the album.

Can You Feel the Love is already a song with great harmony vocals (Davey Johnston, Kiki Dee and Rick Astley !!! sing on Elton's version), which is probably why it was picked for this project. But Brian doesn't seem to know what to do with it, either arrangement wise or with his own vocals. I Just Can't Wait to Be King, on the other hand, has a great idea for the track, but Brian's lead is incredibly un-rocking. It's like he was prepared to sing a ballad and wandered into the sessions for this rock tune.

On the other hand, he sounds about as good as he ever has in his solo career on "Colors of the Wind" and some of the other ballads. "Baby Mine" is darling. And yeah, "Kiss the Girl" really just _works._

I think of this album overall as a self-consciously modest, low-key effort after the grand ambitions of the Gershwin project. At the same time, the Disney songs slot really naturally into Brian's style. Several of the tunes sound like things he could have written (not the case for Gershwin, I'd say). It's a very comfortable sounding record.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:26:59 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 22, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »

if you can't make fun of death dying sexuality etc... well that's just no fun, who says life is serious? this was my revelation falling from a bridge , life is hilarious. even the bad stuff
Yuck, thats one twisted "revelation"

don't ever develop even a passing interest in spirituality, friend, because it will go RIGHT over your head.

Banned. Good friggin' riddance. I have seen some buttholes in my day but this one takes the cake.
Thanks, glad this is over.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 22, 2011, 11:25:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9stYGxxcujg

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 23, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »

Perhaps my previous posts just contained negativity, i have stated before that Brian is a better singer than in the sixties. By that i do not mean his range or quality of voice has improved, but his intonation has, hes intonation is spot on on this record. He also sounds more relaxed while singing, and the consequence of relaxing is that he can put more emotions in his vocals.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 23, 2011, 12:59:50 AM »

No, no, You've Got  A Friend In Me is the BEST track, I swear. That crazy descending synth part and Brian's vocal delivery make for BW gem in my book. Also love Baby Mine. The rest, at this point, I can take or leave.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: September 23, 2011, 01:49:19 AM »

I'm not kicked sideways by the tune, but Brian's vocal on "Colors of the Wind" is a jaw-dropper.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
homeontherange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 23, 2011, 02:01:58 AM »

if you can't make fun of death dying sexuality etc... well that's just no fun, who says life is serious? this was my revelation falling from a bridge , life is hilarious. even the bad stuff

don't ever develop even a passing interest in spirituality, friend, because it will go RIGHT over your head.

Banned. Good friggin' riddance. I have seen some buttholes in my day but this one takes the cake.

Why would you do that? Sucks to see the one guy who's been posting the interesting and exciting threads lately, get banned. And also treating subjects in a way that's not "55 year old man from Leeds"-humour, which was pretty refreshing.

He obviously got angry because of all the unnecessary personal attacks, just because you didn't like his views/humour, or because you got "offended" by something. He doesn't have anything against homosexuals, Wirestone. Watch South Park for god's sake. He's just having a laugh, and it doesn't mean anything. You have to be able to joke about everything, because a joke.. is a damn joke.

It's really fucking incredible actually, that a board works like this. Just ban the people you disagree with, and everything will be fine right?

Please don't ban me.  Cry
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: September 23, 2011, 02:07:44 AM »

The guys was everywhere like a rash... or like John Stamos.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 23, 2011, 02:28:08 AM »

Why would you do that? Sucks to see the one guy who's been posting the interesting and exciting threads lately, get banned. And also treating subjects in a way that's not "55 year old man from Leeds"-humour, which was pretty refreshing.

He obviously got angry because of all the unnecessary personal attacks, just because you didn't like his views/humour, or because you got "offended" by something. He doesn't have anything against homosexuals, Wirestone. Watch South Park for god's sake. He's just having a laugh, and it doesn't mean anything. You have to be able to joke about everything, because a joke.. is a damn joke.

It's really friggin' incredible actually, that a board works like this. Just ban the people you disagree with, and everything will be fine right?

Please don't ban me.  Cry

Yes. Everything will be ahhhhhl right! As in, "Don't you know it's gonna be... ahhhhl right!" Now I can enjoy the board again. FINALLY.

Regarding all things Dis, wish I grabbed a listen when you guys did. Based on what I'm reading, it seems like we've got at least a couple gold nuggets in there. I dug Gershwin, so I'm sure I'll dig this.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 23, 2011, 02:46:59 AM »

I've given this album one listen. These Disney songs are not my cup of tea, but Brian's vocals do sound very nice. I'm hoping that these songs will grow on me with some repeated listenings. As expected, When You Wish Upon A Star is the standout track for me.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
smokeythebear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 23, 2011, 02:49:46 AM »

I'm not kicked sideways by the tune, but Brian's vocal on "Colors of the Wind" is a jaw-dropper.

You are right on the mark there Andrew as usual, my first impression was why not make a whole record in this style.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 23, 2011, 02:53:22 AM »

Personally I didn't find Ghost to be funny or interesting, but I just dealt with it. I didn't call him out or say sh*t to him or try and argue with him, I just let him do his thing and if some people enjoyed it, there was nothing wrong with that. I don't understand why it has to be the same thing over and over again with this board where any member with an idiosyncratic opinion or style quickly becomes a pariah that posters here feel obligated to put down at every possible juncture. This board would be a much nicer place if people here didn't take every little thing so personally, sometimes it feels like people take just being disagreed with as some unacceptable insult.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 23, 2011, 03:02:16 AM »

Even if ghost is a little out of line sometimes, I think it's wrong to ban him. He definitely makes this board an interesting read at times.

As for BWITKOD - I agree with Andrew that Brian's vocal on 'Colors of the Wind' definitely is better than anything he's done the last couple of years. I still don't think any of his vocals are amazing though - he still sounds like a 69 year old singing - a bit out of breath, a little 'snuffled'. Some of the arrangements on this album are pretty cool though. I still also think he should've left 'When you wish upon a star' alone - the original Cliff Edwards version is so breathtakingly amazing, that nothing can touch it IMO.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: September 23, 2011, 03:04:48 AM »

Fair point, and well-argued, Fishmonk, but my personal problem with the guy was that he was like Lady Gaga: quirky gets to be tedious real quick when it's all over the place and in your face. Less is more: a well-aimed dart trumps the blunderbuss.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 23, 2011, 03:13:21 AM »

Personally I didn't find Ghost to be funny or interesting, but I just dealt with it. I didn't call him out or say sh*t to him or try and argue with him, I just let him do his thing and if some people enjoyed it, there was nothing wrong with that. I don't understand why it has to be the same thing over and over again with this board where any member with an idiosyncratic opinion or style quickly becomes a pariah that posters here feel obligated to put down at every possible juncture. This board would be a much nicer place if people here didn't take every little thing so personally, sometimes it feels like people take just being disagreed with as some unacceptable insult.

It's not that I disagree with his views regarding BW (although I do, to be brief), it's the fact he was unrepentantly offensive to other posters. Did you actually read the posts they banned him for?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx