gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 11:36:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 137011 times)
rogerlancelot
« Reply #525 on: September 22, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »

obviously Melinda ruling her kingdom like the queen of Wilson

Source, please.

Brian Wilson doesn't release music to release art. He releases music to get a pay check. He personally probably doesn't give a sh*t as long as he's got enough money to continue living in comfort. But he's out there doing all these sh*t to make money for his empire. Women rule the empire because they care about trivial things. Man is in the clouds rolling with God, every man is a Christ waiting to flower into full manifestation. Brian is a Buddha and a Saint. He's just out there working - what they do is all for the dollar. They have a team of bankers who tell them what kind of stuff will sell to the most people - the masses - the people who will see a Disney album and just buy it, for the kids or whatever. Nothing too weird Brian, we want to sell some units this time.

Uh. Source much?

This made me laugh so hard I almost chocked to death! I'm sure everybody realizes that both of these posters are the same person. Classic!  LOL
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 22, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »

The more I listen the more this album reminds me of "Imagination"
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 22, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »

Funny -- some folks on another board have been saying similar things. And it's easy to forget that Brian's current band has had several folks from the Imagination sessions as crucial members from the beginning. Scott Bennett and Mertens are both on that record -- Mertens is on quite a lot, too. Original BW band drummer Todd Sucherman was all over Imagination as well.

So I guess my point is that Imagination was actually a starting point for this band in some ways. And it's not like the Wondermints were ever a grunge-y, punky outfit, either.

-----

It also gets exhausting to deal with this whole BW and puppetmaster Melinda thing -- the griping has gone on for more than 10 years now. It's borderline chauvinistic. It's BW's choice and his life. He picks strong people to surround himself with so he doesn't have to make the tough calls or unpleasant decisions. It means no one ever holds him accountable. If folks don't like this album -- and I'm sure a lot of people don't and won't -- let's blame Brian, not his band or his management or wife. His name is on it. He's responsible.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 01:21:36 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #528 on: September 22, 2011, 01:42:08 PM »

His name is on it. He's responsible.

It's not that simple at all though is it.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: September 22, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »

Thing is, he still has to answer to it, simple or not. Same reason that he was scared s**tless the night of the Smile debut...whether it was mainly him, VDP, Darian, Rich Sloan, or Glee Love who wrote and finished the material, Brian's name was ultimately on the project, so he would have had to answer for it. Same with anything else bearing his name as the artist.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 22, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: September 22, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »

I can kinda see that, but unlike Imagination his vocals aren't processed to all hell and stacked to high heaven. He doesn't have that 'robotic' sound he had until his last couple of solos. Plus, the mix doesn't sound tinny and plastic-y.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 22, 2011, 07:37:09 PM »

It's not that simple at all though is it.

I just have a personal limit to how much I can feel involved in any of the BW psychodramas. They're interesting from a biographical standpoint, and if one is doing scholarly analysis of the albums, I suppose a limited amount of this would be interesting.

But ultimately I've grown really sick of it. Brian lives a complicated, tortured life. He has sought out and attached himself to a series of Murry surrogates over the years, people who drive him to achieve but also serve the role of "heavy" to the people in his life he doesn't want to deal with. As is the case with some abuse victims who don't fully deal with their trauma, he has sought to replicate and fix that relationship repeatedly. Add in the mental illness and the pampered life of a rock star, and you have someone who -- while I admire his work and the soul shown in his music -- I find exhausting as a person.

So I take the work on its own terms, with a light sprinkling of background. I let the 69-year-old with the emotional maturity of an angsty preteen handle himself.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 22, 2011, 08:06:17 PM »

Wirestone is right y'all, deal with it.

Also, would Brian bother to do any music in mono these days? I mean, if he's allowed! Roll Eyes
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 22, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »

Wirestone, you are hugely on the money.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ghost
« Reply #535 on: September 22, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »

of course brian would mix in mono if it was for himself or how he really wanted it. are you that stupid that you think he'd want to use stereo? first of all stereo sucks. second of all mono rules. phil spector - pet sounds. don't you get it? brian wilsin IS mono. the proof that an album is not entirely 100% a brian wilson creation with his artistic stamp of approval is if it's in stereo. brian can't even hear stereo so he can't mix it. that means the only way brian envisions a mix of his own damn music for YOU is in mono so you should really get into it and see the stereo for what it is, more fan mixes using content that brian oversaw while it was recorded to tape, and then mixed it in his own unique way.
ghost
« Reply #536 on: September 22, 2011, 08:17:20 PM »

although the difference would really be negligible if it weren't for the word that broke the thing in two and made it an entirely new work of eisdom that became doubly important over the years being that time rusteth not on the heart of the mind which heareth words with eyes and ears with sounds the snake that uncoils and rises high is the cross the crucifixion the resurrection of these times when the soul burns forth. of all things know one thing that no thing is something and something is nothing.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: September 22, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »

Brian may have wanted it to be mixed in mono, but it's 2011...no way it would be released in mono.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »

Ghost you are turning "shock and awe" into "crash and Burn"...

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 22, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »

Do we have to go through this with this clown every freaking year?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: September 22, 2011, 08:22:54 PM »

It would appear so.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

ghost
« Reply #541 on: September 22, 2011, 08:25:58 PM »

i was just being.... fasheeshush, about anything in stereo not being 100% BW - it's technically true since he can never mix stereo for us in a way that will make sense to us as stereo listeners if he really cannot hear it. so any mix has to involve someone else ghosting the mix for him as he goes between each speaker building a mental map of the sound placement in a stereo field. remember, brian wilson, intelligent mind, but can his imagination be trusted? perhaps it is the nature of stereo itself to fragment but brian's original mono mixes always sound inimitable and very dynamic to me. the stereo mixes of his work starting with the friends album lose something that a legitimate BW mono mix would have given them, i do believe. i'm curious to hear of any brian mono mixes of love you stuff - does it exist?

does any brian made mono mix exist of any of his music after 1967? or did he just give up on mixing to mono entirely? i've always suspected he takes a day for himself during his albums and mixes himself a nice mono mix for his own enjoyment when the mood strikes him. otherwise, how could he ever reference his own work or listen to it for nostalgia or enjoyment if he can't hear it properly in stereo?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 22, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »

my face right now,

ghost
« Reply #543 on: September 22, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »

Do we have to go through this with this clown every freaking year?

f*** you man and everyone here that thinks like you

i make so many quality posts about brian wilson & the beach boys and you know it and everyone here knows it. so i balance it out with a little esoteric humor for the hip cats in attendance. so what. you in particular are just mad because i won't apologize to you for using homosexuality as a humorous resource in another thread. what's up your butt all of a sudden.

talk about being personally offended - i have to read posts from you people telling me to commit suicide better next time, to leave, that i'm not welcome round these here parts of town, and so on. what's with the witch hunt here? can't handle a little intelligent free style thought?

whatever. i'll just stop posting if it will please the majority here but every time i leave i think - well, wait a second, a couple of people hate me there right? but what about that other handful that say they enjoy my posts? why shouldn't i stick around for them? why do the guys that hate me get to win?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 22, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »

Oh wow.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »

Ah, message board train wrecks! It's so ... 2003. I hear the young people do it all through sexting and Facebook now.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »

how could he ever reference his own work or listen to it for nostalgia or enjoyment if he can't hear it properly in stereo?
i don't think that's how deafness in one ear works

(unless you mean through headphones)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »

Ah, message board train wrecks! It's so ... 2003. I hear the young people do it all through sexting and Facebook now.
Just trying to keep this board free of the crap thats in sexting and facebook that trolls like ghost are putting on here.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:44:43 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ghost
« Reply #548 on: September 22, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »

how could he ever reference his own work or listen to it for nostalgia or enjoyment if he can't hear it properly in stereo?
i don't think that's how deafness in one ear works

(unless you mean through headphones)

no i am saying just that, that if he hears with only one ear then he will perceive the sound of two stereo speakers playing a stereo mixed song will just be one blur or sound depending on exactly how he is positioned in relation to the speakers and their relation to each other and evrything else. he cannot accurately judge mixes of his albums whatsoever. this is my opinion based on how i try to imagine being mostly deaf in one ear. he can create a rough sketch in his mind of an imaginary stereo sound but it's just an estimation on kind hearted BW's part to appeal to the stereo freaks. Brian would fucking LOVE me for being into mono. he'd be like oh man, come to my secret music room, i've got a juke box full of spector!  Cool Guy
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 22, 2011, 08:50:53 PM »

just fill your ear with marshmellows, cover it with your hand, and stand in the middle of the speakers. that should be enough to fold down stereo.

brian probably listens to mixes through speakers and then gives his approval if everything sounds on the ball. the placements of the speakers or your position don't really matter much if he's close to them and they're being played loud enough.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx