gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 11:13:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: In The Key Of Disney  (Read 137009 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »

I didn't think it was that bad until the font hit me
what's the story with the font?
"Rage Italic" is its name I think. You see it in everything, they might as well have used Comic Sans.
OH wait, no. I don't think it's Rage Italic. You can tell that it has some crude Photoshop filters, though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:02:35 PM by bakabaka » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

i like the cover, i don't like the font as much. but the whole idea of the cover is great. makes sense.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »

Hmm:

•   “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” (from “Toy Story”)

Great choice. This is perfect for Brian.

•   “Bare Necessities” (from “Jungle Book”)

Obvious lol. Good use of Brian's "deep" vocals

•   “Baby Mine” (from “Dumbo”) *a doo-wop lullaby

As many have said, this definitely looked like a possibility from the start.

•   “Kiss the Girl" (from “The Little Mermaid”)

While not my favorite song from the movie, I think it'd be tough for Brian to do "Part of your World"  Grin

•   “Colors of the Wind” (from “Pocahontas”)

Prefer "Just around the River Bend" but this is better for Brian

•   “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” (from “The Lion King”)

HELL YES! This was my big hope for the album. Easily a top 3 Disney song for me.

•   “We Belong Together” (from “Toy Story 3”)

Haven't had the chance to watch Toy Story 3 yet  Sad

•   “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” (from “The Lion King”)

Should be nice though perhaps "Circle of Life" would've been better

•   “Stay Awake" (from “Mary Poppins”)

Almost forgot about this song. Interesting choice

•   “Heigh-Ho/Whistle While You Work” (from “Snow White”) [instrumental]

Interesting choice for a instrumental medley.

•   “When You Wish Upon a Star” (from “Pinocchio”)

Let's be honest...we all saw this coming  LOL

Even more pumped now. Only disappointment is no Aladdin songs.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »

So happy about "Baby Mine" and "Color Of The Wind" which are my 2 favorite Disney songs.

And Ghost's alternate artwork is interesting although I am looking forward to Earcandy's spin on it.

I'm looking forward to this cd.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:32:29 PM by After Bathin' With The Brucies » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2011, 10:12:28 PM »

If his vocals are anything like they were on TLOS or (especially) BWRG, then we're in for a treat.
Yap. Guys, it's gonna be great.

I really don't get what you guys are hearing. I think one of the big problems with BW recordings these days (and back in 2004 for that matter) is in fact his vocal performance. He sounds kind of slurred, and not to mention heavily tuned at times. And this is the primary reason on why I rather would not see the Disney album be released (which it of course will be). Trying to make a new version of for instance 'When you wish upon a star' is in my opinion pointless. The original is so good both musically and vocally that I think a BW version per today would not go well with me. Brian anno 1966 on the other hand, I can only imagine being close to perfect.

I never understood people that think like you.  If it's not your cup of tea, just don't buy the album.  Don't say you don't want it released, because that screws the rest of us over!  Why does the world have to conform to what you want it to be?  Let Brian release music if he wants, if you don't like it, don't listen to it.  "I rather would not see the Disney album be released" to hell with you. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »

It seems a significant oversight by Brian and everyone running his life for him that he should have two albums ready for release virtually simultaneously. If he was Radiohead of something then it might not make any difference as wealthy middle-classfans would just happily buy both.

I don't know what world you live in, but in my world, it's not that big of a deal to buy two albums, within the same month.  Sorry.  It's just not.

Good for you, Ron.

Personally, every few weeks once the food supply & money supply runs very low, I end up getting by on a few slices of bread per day and feeling like there's a void in my stomach from the hunger. Purchasing the expensive Smile Sessions set and this new Disney album is not even worth thinking about at the moment. The only way I'll ever afford the former is if someone gives me $200 free, otherwise it would take a while to save up that much and not need to use it on more practical things.

Send all your canned goods to my house, please.

A. Less Internet
B. More Work
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2011, 10:15:13 PM »

Thanks man! Looks great.  I hope the album sounds as fun as the cover looks.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »

If his vocals are anything like they were on TLOS or (especially) BWRG, then we're in for a treat.
Yap. Guys, it's gonna be great.

I really don't get what you guys are hearing. I think one of the big problems with BW recordings these days (and back in 2004 for that matter) is in fact his vocal performance. He sounds kind of slurred, and not to mention heavily tuned at times. And this is the primary reason on why I rather would not see the Disney album be released (which it of course will be). Trying to make a new version of for instance 'When you wish upon a star' is in my opinion pointless. The original is so good both musically and vocally that I think a BW version per today would not go well with me. Brian anno 1966 on the other hand, I can only imagine being close to perfect.

There's a lot of music and artists I don't like but (Smiths/Morrissey excepted) I don't tell other fans their albums shouldn't be released: I just don't listen to them.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ghost
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »

It seems a significant oversight by Brian and everyone running his life for him that he should have two albums ready for release virtually simultaneously. If he was Radiohead of something then it might not make any difference as wealthy middle-classfans would just happily buy both.

I don't know what world you live in, but in my world, it's not that big of a deal to buy two albums, within the same month.  Sorry.  It's just not.

Good for you, Ron.

Personally, every few weeks once the food supply & money supply runs very low, I end up getting by on a few slices of bread per day and feeling like there's a void in my stomach from the hunger. Purchasing the expensive Smile Sessions set and this new Disney album is not even worth thinking about at the moment. The only way I'll ever afford the former is if someone gives me $200 free, otherwise it would take a while to save up that much and not need to use it on more practical things.

Send all your canned goods to my house, please.

A. Less Internet
B. More Work

Work is for phosphorus deficient brains.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/brian-wilson-the-key-of-disney?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Songs on the album are: 

•   “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” (from “Toy Story”)

•   “Bare Necessities” (from “Jungle Book”)

•   “Baby Mine” (from “Dumbo”) *a doo-wop lullaby

•   “Kiss the Girl" (from “The Little Mermaid”)

•   “Colors of the Wind” (from “Pocahontas”)

•   “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” (from “The Lion King”)

•   “We Belong Together” (from “Toy Story 3”)

•   “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” (from “The Lion King”)

•   “Stay Awake" (from “Mary Poppins”)

•   “Heigh-Ho/Whistle While You Work” (from “Snow White”) [instrumental]

•   “When You Wish Upon a Star” (from “Pinocchio”)

Thank you for the link.  The ONLY ONE I'm not excited about, is "Colors of the Wind", I don't see how in the hell he's going to pull that off.  The original was pretty crappy, I liked it because the video had the beautiful Vanessa Williams singing it, so hell it was good to watch, but I don't think the song's that great.  Take away Vanessa Williams, and I really don't see any reason for me to listen to it, lol.

Maybe he'll shock me.  The other ones, ALL sound interesting.  I agree the Lion King ones might be weak; I'm so used to Elton John's versions of those songs, it's really been oversaturated over the years, I've heard those two songs millions of times it seems.  Maybe Brian can put enough of a twist on them that they'll sound new again.  Bare Necessities is going to be awesome.  

The thing though that dissapoints me the most is all the great songs that he didn't record.  Hell he would have had to do 5 cd's though to satisfy everybody, so I understand.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »

The most interesting point here? Brian has actually completed and had a record company release both albums of a "two-album deal." It's never happened before!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »

They had to have known that BWRG wouldn't sell a ton of records, and they went ahead and did the second one.

They keep suggesting that Brian was approached about doing a Disney album, and he said he wanted to do a Gerswhin album first. 

So  if that's true, maybe Disney did him a solid, and this is the album they really wanted to get behind? 

Wtih the success of Rod Stewart's cover albums, and Michael McDonald's cover albums, they might be trying to pull something like that out of their hat.  Brian can't support the album with tours the way those guys did, though.  Oh well it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »

The most interesting point here? Brian has actually completed and had a record company release both albums of a "two-album deal." It's never happened before!

Damn - beat me to it !  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »

I guess you could make a case for GIOMH and BWPS ... but why would you want to?
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2011, 12:44:34 AM »

Which song will be Shortenin' Bread this time?
(Desert Drive, Going Home, I Got Rhythm,...)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2011, 01:53:53 AM »

SCrew ther fucking mouse.
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2011, 02:37:39 AM »

SCrew ther friggin' mouse.
Its going to be interesting to hear Brian's arrangement of "When You Wish Upon a Star"( Brian's inspiration for "Surfer Girl") complete with Beach Boys-esqe backing vocals.
Sounds like a perfect fit to me.

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »

I didn't think it was that bad until the font hit me
what's the story with the font?

Which one does George Jones sing? Need to hear that....

Thanks to a tip from Christian, I found it. The Possum sings "You've got a friend in me" with Kathy Mattea. Great job by George as could be expected
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8uJm7UBHFY

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2011, 05:02:22 AM »

Are we putting bets on whether or not the first and last songs on the album are done a cappella?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:03:16 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2011, 05:55:21 AM »

Desert Drive and I got Rhythm have that riff?

where at?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2011, 07:31:43 AM »

When I saw the tracklist, the first thing that popped in my head was, I'll bet he does When You Wish .... acapella. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »

I hope it's going to be "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150284295279235&oid=34250497240&comments

First songs up - Heigh Ho/Whistle While You Work

AND IT'S AMAZING

Can't find a version for the non FB brigade....
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:45:35 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »

Yeah I lke the merging of the Pirate theme with Whistle While You Work.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2011, 12:49:32 PM »

This bodes really well for the project though - it's so silly, which is what I hoped it'd be.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 35 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx