gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:06:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: W i l d H o n e y  (Read 61271 times)
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »

Great album, it sure threw me for a loop when I first heard it, but coming after Smiley Smile, it sounded a lot more "normal."  It's part of what my friend and I call the Lo-Fi Trilogy (Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends) which were all under produced on purpose (to neat effect).  At first I was a little annoyed at the production on Wild Honey, but it works - that's just the feel of the album.  I'm listening to it at work now and it's just great.  Puts you in a good mood! Grin

If any album could be called SMiLE, Wild Honey is it!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »

WILD HONEY!

Am I the only one who finds this album to be ten times more interesting than SMiLE (in any form)? I could listen to Wild Honey/Aren't You Glad/Here Comes The Night/A Thing Or Two/Let The Wind Blow etc FOREVER. Those are some psychedelic, happening songs. Brian/Mike at their best! Most ecstatic and carefree! Where did they get so much soul? Bruce becomes God when he plays organ solos. Also, Wild Honey/Wind Chimes is the best A/B ever made! Most psychedelic! I've never heard the sessions for this album, just a few stereo mixes which I did not like at all.

How do you all play the music? I play the mono albums through a Marshall guitar amp. I raise the mids a lot and the gain a little and blast the volume. Incredible experience to hear this album in such a way!

Wild Honey is quite often my favourite BB record. It's just so uncomplicated and has none of the 'what ifs' of Smile or Pet Sounds' burden of greatness.

I get what you are saying about it being psychedelic although not sure if this is a word I'd use. It think it feels very bright and colourful and bursts with energy like so many psychedelic records, I hear you on that one, although there are no typical psychedelic hallmarks. The picture you posted captures the feel of the album perfectly.

PS. Welcome back, Nobody!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:31:31 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
GroovinGarrett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »

While we have a WH topic..

Personally I think the 2 fer sounds terrible, sound wise is that the best out there or is there a better sounding release to buy?

Japanese "Pastmasters" (Toshiba/EMI CP21-6013).

If you have vinyl capability, try the mono Capitol green-label reissue from 1981 (Capitol SN-16159).

Thanks a lot I'll go dig around for those

No problem, Shady.

A well-known audio engineer refers to the Pastmasters discs as "flat transfers" from the Capitol masters. I personally think he's full of merda (and ego), but the CD is the best-sounding Wild Honey I've heard. Most of the Pastmasters Beach Boys CD's sound great compared to the 2-fer's, EXCEPT for Pet Sounds, avoid that one.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »

If you have vinyl capability, try the mono Capitol green-label reissue from 1981 (Capitol SN-16159).

True dat! 

Most of the Pastmasters Beach Boys CD's sound great compared to the 2-fer's.

True dat, too!

Not sure what "flat transfers" means, but they definitely have a superior audio quality to them compared to other sources!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »

True dat! 

Most of the Pastmasters Beach Boys CD's sound great compared to the 2-fer's.

True dat, too!

Not sure what "flat transfers" means, but they definitely have a superior audio quality to them compared to other sources!
Go to psychedelic music on wiki-It will help you figure out just what this music was and who really made it-They do mention GV as being one of the first to use the theremin-but that's about it for psychedelia from the band during that period. Upon release, WH was not considered psychedelic whatsoever.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »

Go to psychedelic music on wiki-It will help you figure out just what this music was and who really made it

According to the page on Psychedelic pop, The Beach Boys made it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_pop

Note too that the article on psyche pop basically said exactly what I said about how pop and psyche merged in the late 60s and developed a particular sound as a result:

Psychedelic sounds were also incorporated into the output of early bubblegum pop acts like The Monkees and The Lemon Pipers with "Green Tambourine" (1968) and Tommy James and the Shondells with their number one "Crimson and Clover" (1969).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:35:32 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:12 PM »

A "flat transfer" would mean that no additional equalizing, compression or other mastering tools were used for its presentation - what you get is the straight sound off of the existing master tape.*

*Those with much more audio  mastering experience than I can feel free to correct or elaborate.

Personally, the organ solo on the WILD HONEY title track sounds very psychedelic to my ears, but nothing else.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »

Can't say, I've never heard "Smile".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
ghost
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

Just a thought, rather reminiscent of a Zen story...

First I heard Wild Honey and it was all crispy clean soul pop songs. Then I heard Wild Honey and it was an explosion of vibrating sound colors. Now I hear Wild Honey and I hear crispy clean soul pop songs exploding out of the speaker in vibrating sound colors.

Psychedelicize
your perceptions, and Wild Honey reveals itself. Then disappears again. POOF!

oldsurferdude
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 01:45:49 PM »

Go to psychedelic music on wiki-It will help you figure out just what this music was and who really made it

According to the page on Psychedelic pop, The Beach Boys made it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_pop

Note too that the article on psyche pop basically said exactly what I said about how pop and psyche merged in the late 60s and developed a particular sound as a result:

Psychedelic sounds were also incorporated into the output of early bubblegum pop acts like The Monkees and The Lemon Pipers with "Green Tambourine" (1968) and Tommy James and the Shondells with their number one "Crimson and Clover" (1969).

Pet Sounds  psychedelic? Nope-not a chance-wiki was off on that one-of course GV certainly was. WH  was not in any way psychedelic.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »

Pet Sounds  psychedelic? Nope-not a chance-wiki was off on that one-of course GV certainly was. WH  was not in any way psychedelic.

So let me get this straight: you tell us to go look at wikipedia to find out what psychedelic music is and then when we actually do go to wikipedia and find something that you disagree with, the source that you initially gave to prove us wrong suddenly lacks credibility? You have officially given up your right to be taken seriously in this dicussion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:55:46 PM by rockandroll » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »

A "flat transfer" would mean that no additional equalizing, compression or other mastering tools were used for its presentation - what you get is the straight sound off of the existing master tape.*

*Those with much more audio  mastering experience than I can feel free to correct or elaborate.

Personally, the organ solo on the WILD HONEY title track sounds very psychedelic to my ears, but nothing else.
The title track is the only one that sounds psychedelic to me, as well. The organ solo is both psychedelic and funky. Also, that is my understanding of a flat transfer, as per the Hoff at that other board.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
David Kennedy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »

While we have a WH topic..

Personally I think the 2 fer sounds terrible, sound wise is that the best out there or is there a better sounding release to buy?

I picked up the EMI SVLP 300  album 180 gram and I think it sounds really good. Not sure how it compares to the others  but I was happy with it.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »

Hi, Nobody. Still a chode?  Roll Eyes
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »

From Venezuela, courtesy of EBay, the almost perfect union: 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 02:36:59 PM »

The title track is the only one that sounds psychedelic to me, as well. The organ solo is both psychedelic and funky. Also, that is my understanding of a flat transfer, as per the Hoff at that other board.

Thank you!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:38 PM »

Is that what Brian told you he was "saying" with the album? When I say psychedelic I don't mean as a musical genre but how I hear the sound.

Yes, it is what Brian told me. He was going for a "compact, less trippy, soul/R&B record." My ears tell me he was moving away from the heavily produced psychedelic/progressive thing, and toward short pop songs with simple production. But if you're not talking about musical genre when you call it psychedelic, then i guess you can call it anything. Call it linoleum or gravel. Let's call it good and agree.
MBE
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »

I love Smile and Pet Sounds and much of the early stuff, but I partially agree with Billy 1967-72 is a facinating era. I wouldn't say Wild Honey is better than everything that came before it, but man it is great. Brian and I talked about it and even a little bit about the original LP lineup.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 03:29:47 PM »

So let me get this straight: you tell us to go look at wikipedia to find out what psychedelic music is and then when we actually do go to wikipedia and find something that you disagree with, the source that you initially gave to prove us wrong suddenly lacks credibility? You have officially given up your right to be taken seriously in this dicussion.
Get this straight, proving anyone wrong wasn't the point, jack. If you r e a d it, (try it slower next time) you'll see that it  does a faily good job at explaining what kind of music it is-and I said that I don't agree that PS or WH  qualify as that brand of music. And, further, you may want to take note that I do agree that GV was part of the genre, so button up RR -if you wanna argue all night, bring it on, Clem. Angry
oldsurferdude
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »

Took me years until I finally realized how brilliant this record really is. Carl's lead vocals are just incredible, as is the overall low-fi sound/production and of course the passionate organ/piano playing. The lyrics make you wish Brian and Mike would've continued their writing partnership in that particular style a little longer. Let The Wind Blow is every bit as good as anything on Pet Sounds I think.

I agree that the pairing of Wild Honey and Wind Chimes makes for quite a spectacular single... always been a huge fan of the spooky Smiley Smile rendition of Wind Chimes!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »

Get this straight, proving anyone wrong wasn't the point, jack. If you r e a d it, (try it slower next time) you'll see that it  does a faily good job at explaining what kind of music it is-and I said that I don't agree that PS or WH  qualify as that brand of music. And, further, you may want to take note that I do agree that GV was part of the genre, so button up RR -if you wanna argue all night, bring it on, Clem. Angry

Like I said, you entirely forfeited the right to be taken seriously when you made it abundantly clear that you were not prepared to have this discussion in good faith. Your playground tirade that came in lieu of a real response to my post is only further evidence that you are simply unwilling to participate in a rational discussion. Who would want to "argue all night" with someone like that?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »

Like I said, you entirely forfeited the right to be taken seriously when you made it abundantly clear that you were not prepared to have this discussion in good faith. Your playground tirade that came in lieu of a real response to my post is only further evidence that you are simply unwilling to participate in a rational discussion. Who would want to "argue all night" with someone like that?
Oh, obviously  someone with your mentality and "rationality".
Jason
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »

Hi, Nobody. Still a chode?  Roll Eyes

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

EPIC FUCKING WIN!
ghost
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »

I may be a ghost but I'm no nobody.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx