gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681484 Posts in 27638 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 06:22:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best live act you've ever seen in person.  (Read 27206 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2012, 06:37:21 AM »

Jeff Mangum? Holy sh!t!

I am seeing Jonathan Richman soon. Will he topple the mighty Spiritualized? I am also seeing Randy Newman a few days before, which will kick many breeds of ass, but I don't think he's bringing a symphony, which I really want to see at some point.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »

Probably a tie between Springsteen and Arcade Fire.

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2012, 01:43:36 PM »

I haven't been to see many of "the greats" as lots of folk here have but I think the best gig I've been to was Thomas Dolby, I had a smile on my face the entirety of the walk home, all night and most of the day after (compare that to the time I saw Morrissey when instead of having a smile on my face I had a bruise on my rib).

Same goes for The Beach Boys/BW gigs I've attended - I like to measure how good a concert was by the toothiness of my post-gig smirk.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

...the time I saw Morrissey...instead of having a smile on my face I had a bruise on my rib

Ouch, but your adventure sounds like to could have come straight from the lyrics of a Morrisey song  Smiley

'94, Frank Black's 'Teenager of the Year' World Tour, Newcastle (Australia) - Only me and 19 other people show up, but it doesn't stop Frank and Band who crank it like they're in front of 100000 punters.  We all get a turn to stand about a metre away from Frank and bask in his Kimono clad glory. Unbeatable!

Had a big smile on my face after the Pet Sounds Tour '02, even tho' they didn't play Pet Sounds (Brisbane gig)!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:52:57 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
sheffmark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »

The Smiths at Sheffield City Hall in 1984.
New,exciting and different! Grin
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2012, 05:59:33 PM »

Lowell George era Little Feat

If it runs amuck, call the duck
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »

On a whole rock and roll show extravaganza thing, I'd have to say Rush.  I like them, never been a huge fan, but that show I saw was amazing. 

On a singer songwriter kind of vibe, it'd be a toss up - I've seen awe inspiring solo shows by Robyn Hitchcock, Ray Davies and Warren Zevon.

On a local level - Art Steele Blues Band in the basement of the long gone, but fondly remembered Sheehan's Pub in Northampton, MA.   Possibly the most entertaining, wild, awesome night of music I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »

Mine would have to be Brian Wilson. I was at his (I believe) first show of the Pet Sounds Symphonic Tour in Easton, Pennsylvania. Nothing better than watching (and listening) to the master at work on his greatest creation.

Honorable mentions would go to O.A.R. and Goo Goo Dolls from their respective shows at Lock Haven University. Its quite an experience to see bands like these in a college atmosphere!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »

Lowell George era Little Feat

So jealous of you. Little Feat kicked so much ass live with Lowell George. Waiting For Columbus is the best for a band supposedly 'past their prime'. When did you see them?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2012, 12:46:22 PM »

In Denver at Ebbets Field---1973

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »

AC/DC 1981 at the Los Angeles Forum!

I was just kid, but pretty musically aware, and my best friend's heavy metal brother took us!

They opened with Hell's Bells and then ripped right into Let's Get It Up!

I'd never experienced such power and energy and force, and had never heard anyone sing like that!!!!!!

I've seen "better" bands and "better" shows, but there has never been an experience like that.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41:37 AM »

Probably Jeff Mangum, Feb. 4, 2012.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 04:52:32 AM »

Jonathan Richman, last night at the Union Chapel.

Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 06:41:18 AM »

I don't even have to think hard on this question, but the best live act I've ever seen goes to Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in Denver, 2002.  They played for two and a half hours and absolutely blew the doors off the place.  It was my first time hearing a couple of the songs (Racing In The Street, Land of Hope and Dreams) and a number of the tracks from The Rising album were full of emotion.  I wept during Empty Sky - it was so beautiful with only Bruce and Patty Scialfa singing with just a lone piano for accompaniment.  The whole concert was amazing though, with intensity on every song.  I have a good bootleg of the show, but it doesn't even begin to do it justice.  The show was just amazing.

A close second goes to Tori Amos in Denver, 2001.  She played in a small venue (The Paramount Theatre) and we had seats in the 5th row.  It was just Tori playing Piano/Organ with no backing musicians.  Her performance was so raw and emotional in the way she connected with the audience.  On some songs it was like I was the only one there and the song was just for me.  (Unfortunately, the songs would end and I would be reminded that Tori has a bunch of loons in her fan base Cheesy ).  I have a great bootleg of this show too.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »

Jay Black
David Cassidy (seriously!)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 02:41:03 AM »

Brian performing SMiLE at London's RFH moved me the most, but the most impressive had to be Queen at Wembley stadium. Look hard at the DVD and you can see me in the crowd ... somewhere  Razz

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »

AC/DC 1981 at the Los Angeles Forum!

I was just kid, but pretty musically aware, and my best friend's heavy metal brother took us!

They opened with Hell's Bells and then ripped right into Let's Get It Up!

I'd never experienced such power and energy and force, and had never heard anyone sing like that!!!!!!

I've seen "better" bands and "better" shows, but there has never been an experience like that.
Awesome........

Mine would be Brian&Band in Summer 2009... the ol' man in damn fine form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmsyJRa5BLE
Liamo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »

First time I saw Brian Wilson, October 15, 1999, Moore Theater, Seattle. Musically amazing, of course, but also because it just seemed like such a miracle. And I've never, even at other Brian shows, felt such love for a performer emanating from the audience. Pete Buck and Eddie Vedder were sitting together a few rows ahead of me. Folks noticed them (Buck kept walking up and down the aisles), but nobody really cared because, you know, we were there to see a real legend.

As far as sheer musicianship, King Crimson live in 1982 on the Beat tour. Astonishing tight, passionate peformance of incredibly demanding material. Also Zappa on his last tour (twice) and Prince on the Lovesexy tour.

And of course, Springsteen. Many times.

Yes it was definitely all the more special for being so unexpected. Saw the 2002 tour when he came to Dublin. Had been a fan for many years but never considered it likely to see him perform. Still remember sitting with my brother thinking about our late father during Lay Down Burden. A very special night
SBonilla
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

The Beatles at their Candlestick show, from right behind the 3rd base dugout.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »

Jonathan is a 'go every time he's in town' guy for me.  He's always good, but maybe once every three or four shows he's just AMAZING.  Watching him when he really clicks with an audience is one of the best things in life.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

Jonathan is a 'go every time he's in town' guy for me.  He's always good, but maybe once every three or four shows he's just AMAZING.  Watching him when he really clicks with an audience is one of the best things in life.

Without any doubt , Queen at Wembley Stadium in July 1986 ( Freddy was very much at the top his game ) and I was very very lucky to go to Live Aid at Wembley the summer before , rather surreal watching my fav band ( BB's ) on big screens and the audio as if they actually there at Wembley and the crowd rocking out when in reality they were playing thousands of miles away  - Happy memories
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2012, 11:02:38 AM »

Without any doubt , Queen at Wembley Stadium in July 1986 ( Freddy was very much at the top his game ) and I was very very lucky to go to Live Aid at Wembley the summer before , rather surreal watching my fav band ( BB's ) on big screens and the audio as if they actually there at Wembley and the crowd rocking out when in reality they were playing thousands of miles away  - Happy memories

Alternatively the worse show I have ever seen but a top drawer band ( and I have seen them a few times ) was The Stones at Ashton Gate (home of my team Bristol City) in 1982 , terrible...
However the day was saved with a superb set by (another one of my fav bands) The J Geils Band
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »

He's so so soooo good - the night ended with him just going off mic, in the front row and singing several verses of When We Refuse To Suffer and utterly captivating the entire room. He also dances like a bloody champion  Grin

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2012, 11:39:13 AM »

Not the best show I've ever seen in my life, but I saw Of Montreal last night and it was the best of the 8-10 of theirs I've seen. Really, really a good show. Very entertaining (as always) but also by far the most musically talented group they've put forward.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »

Hey Ocean! with opener Aidan Knight last Wednesday were fantastic, definitely up there with The White Stripes, Guy Davis, and Corey Harris as some of the best live shows I've seen!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx