gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:13:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best version of Wouldn't It Be Nice from Pet Sounds. Mono vs. Stereo mix?  (Read 7806 times)
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »

I need help settling a debate among BB friends. One claims Mono mix, original is better, another die hard BB fan claims to like Stereo Mix of Wouldn't it Be Nice? I told them I would ask the experts at the Smiley Smiley Forum.

So BB experts sound off,

Wouldn't it be Nice Stereo Mix or Mono?

Thanks,

Adrian
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »

its personal preference

and its my right not to tell you

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »

Hi Adrian, imo all of Pet Sounds needed to be heard in a stereo mix.... far too much going on for one channel.  Cool

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »

Stereo for Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows. Mono for every other song on Pet Sounds.

WIBN has so many elements that it sounds almost chaotic in mono - you can barely hear the harmonies in the second verse. Whereas when I first heard WIBN in stereo I had an epiphany that the Beach Boys were the greatest musical act to ever grace the planet....and I still believe it and will probably always believe it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »

you had a GREAT epiphany!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »

The stereo mix is good for learning about the backing instruments. The mono mix is more to listen to vocals and be blown away by the deep autobiographical lyrics.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:22:11 PM »

The stereo mix for me. You can really hear the superb background vocals more clearly, and l love the cleaner sound of the accordions.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »

I'd say if you want to learn more about how "WIBN" fits together, listen to it in stereo. If you simply (simply!!!) want to enjoy one of Brian's masterpieces, listen to it in mono. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jason
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »

Well, in all fairness, there are two different stereo mixes of Wouldn't It Be Nice, so I must ask for specifics.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »

Well, in all fairness, there are two different stereo mixes of Wouldn't It Be Nice, so I must ask for specifics.
Mike Love bridge vs. Brian Wilson bridge? IMHO, it doesn't sound right without Mike.

Too  many years listening to the original mix, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:31:49 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »

Mono mix all the way.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »

Depends on how you're listening to it... each mix has it's own strong points.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »

For 26 years I heard the mono version on various vinyl and CD releases. Then I heard the stereo version in 1996 and was BLOWN OUT!!! Been listening to the stereo mix ever since. Nothing like that wide dispersion of ambient sound between the speakers!

Not even a second thought about it. The stereo version. Brian or Mike on the bridge in stereo - doesn't make much difference to me but slightly prefer Mike in the middle there like he was on the original mono mix.

Stereo. The way Brian didn't cut it.  Grin  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:23:30 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »

Wouldn't it Be Nice is genius, period. Listening to the stereo version is a crystal clar view of the layers by the master artist. HOWEVER, the stereo version loses it's wall of sound punch that is delivered in the mono version.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 04:50:39 PM »

I prefer the stereo mix of WIBN too, it just comes alive.  Mono sounds dull by comparison.  Interesting that Mike sings lead on the mono bridge, but it doesn't make the song better than in stereo.

I enjoy the mono Pet Sounds for the different elements in the mix.  The double tracked lead vocals on You Still Believe In Me along with the louder bicycle ring always sounded better to me.  I also like the end of God Only Knows in mono.
aerolls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:58 PM »

So, let's say you pick stereo mix, which version do you prefer Brian or Mike singing in the bridge?

I prefer the 2000 Stereo mix with Love on bridge on Summer Love Songs compilation.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:01:35 PM by aerolls » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 05:06:55 PM »

Stereo, for all the reasons stated above.  I always loved the song, but when I heard it in stereo, the musician in me was just blown away by the little details that I'd never heard before, vocally and instrumentally.  I appreciate the mono for what it is, being Brian's vision of how the song should sound, but only being able to hear a fraction of that amazing arrangement is a travesty!  Even Brian has said that the stereo mix allows you to hear more of what was actually there.

I prefer Brian on the bridge too, if only because Mike's vocal has always sounded phoned in to me.  Brian sounds like he gives a damn about what he's singing, whereas Mike doesn't - odd, because I love Mike's singing on the rest of the record.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »

I prefer the stereo, particularly for "I'm Waiting for the Day"--it makes those lead vocals on the chorus a lot less harsh. On the mono, it's like he's shouting...it wants to feel passionate and intense, rather than brash. (I'm speaking for a song here...lock me up, quick!)

I agree that the stereo helps you hear the instruments more clearly. The mono kinda mushes 'em all up.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »

The stereo mix of IJWMFFT loses the weird organ like soundat 0.05 seconds into the song. All of those weird background sounds are lost sereo PS IMO fo the worse.. LGAFA loses it's bassiness. On mono I think the vox sound like they peak out on the loud parts whereas I prefer the clarity of the vox on the stereo versions.
Bill Ed
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »

My favorite is the stereo mix with Mike Love on the bridge. But of course I love the mono mix too.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »

For 26 years I heard the mono version on various vinyl and CD releases. Then I heard the stereo version in 1996 and was BLOWN OUT!!!
Not even a second thought about it.
Same here. No contest. Its like finally having sex without wearing a condom.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 11:38:17 PM »

yeah i'll take the stereo too.  There's too much going on for mono to take and sound nice.  it gets way muddy in mono.
David Kennedy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 01:06:07 AM »

I usually play the album in stereo except for "You Still Believe In Me" I enjoy it more in mono for some reason.  But "Wouldn't Be Nice" for me sounds better in stereo, especially with headphones on.

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 03:30:31 AM »

I enjoy both, but mono has the slight edge being as Brian intended it !
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 04:49:18 AM »

But then again, since 1995 Brian has had a change a heart. Now he intends for us to listen to both.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,