gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 03:39:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love was right about everything.  (Read 10739 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

It’s not too surprising that each group’s perceptions of Mike are very different.

That's like a serious kick to the balls. The Real Beach Boy is a Beach Boys fan, period. He is a walking, breathing, living Beach Boys encyclopedia and most of all, you can tell he loves the music.

I can surely vouch for that statement.  Grin

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »

The fun in the sun, goodtime side of the Beach Boys is just as sophisticated as Pet Sounds and Smile!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »

The fun in the sun, goodtime side of the Beach Boys is just as sophisticated as Pet Sounds and Smile!
I learned that one after listening to knock-off bands from "the fun in the sun" period and finding out they were nowhere near as good as the BB's.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 02:30:42 PM »

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

It’s not too surprising that each group’s perceptions of Mike are very different.

Don't presume to tell me what I "seem to value" with regards to the Beach Boys. If you even read my posts on here you'll find that I heap tons of praise upon Pet Sounds, Smile, Smiley Smile, Friends, Sunflower, and Love You along with the fun-in-the-sun material. I would suggest that in future you at least be in possession of a convincing argument to back up your ridiculous remarks and refrain from hiding behind such goshdarned nonsensical "generalization' terminology that you use to mask your lack of said argument.

Hey, no offense intended whatsoever.  It’s just that everything I’ve seen from you, whether it’s your screen name and the picture that goes with it, your consistent defense of Mike, or your various comments on the music, makes me think that you’re strictly a “good time oldies” type guy.  Nothing wrong with that—just one perspective on music.

But if I’m wrong about that, I apologize.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »

Mike did sing on post fun in the sun songs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:37:01 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 02:38:35 PM »

Yeah, I can't hate the guy who wrote "All I Wanna Do" and "Big Sur"!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2011, 02:41:13 PM »

I also took it for granted everyone assumed it was only my opinion.....

I take it for granted that everyone is posting their own opinion; except AGD, of course, who posts "The Facts".

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 02:41:26 PM »

Mike did sing on post fun in the sun songs.

That's a great point that, unfortunately, shouldn't have to be made at this late stage.

I still really just don't get how some Beach Boys "fans" can't seem to wrap their heads around the possibility that there are other fans out there who love the Beach Boys as much as them but love the whole package: Mike's turbans, bad jokes and all.

I really see no reason for this.

Watch the Knebworth DVD and the boys can tear through Little Deuce Coop like no one's business then bust into Cottonfields/Heroes And Villians without skipping a beat and without Mike having to go change into something "cool and edgy" first.

THAT'S THE BEACH BOYS!

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:42:31 PM by Erik H » Logged
Jason
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »

This is only a generalization, but there will always be two competing groups of Beach Boys fans.  One group is drawn by complex albums like Pet Sounds and Smile and is fascinated by Brian.  The other group, like Real Beach Boy and a number of others, seem to value mainly the fun-in-the-sun, good time stuff, and don’t care too much about the sophistication of the music.

Don't presume to tell me what I "seem to value" with regards to the Beach Boys. If you even read my posts on here you'll find that I heap tons of praise upon Pet Sounds, Smile, Smiley Smile, Friends, Sunflower, and Love You along with the fun-in-the-sun material. I would suggest that in future you at least be in possession of a convincing argument to back up your ridiculous remarks and refrain from hiding behind such goshdarned nonsensical "generalization' terminology that you use to mask your lack of said argument.

Hey, no offense intended whatsoever.  It’s just that everything I’ve seen from you, whether it’s your screen name and the picture that goes with it, your consistent defense of Mike, or your various comments on the music, makes me think that you’re strictly a “good time oldies” type guy.  Nothing wrong with that—just one perspective on music.

But if I’m wrong about that, I apologize.

First off, my name and the picture that goes with it started as an in-joke between Jonas and myself (at one point he was The REAL Real Beach Boy with a picture of Dennis as his avatar) and just went on from there.

I am a Beach Boys fan, period. I like pretty much everything they ever put out. I am not merely a "good time oldies type guy" although I will admit that without those I wouldn't be where I am now. My discourse on (specifically) this forum has been on a range of topics related to the Beach Boys.

Yes, I will admit to consistently defending Michael; in cases where I have offered an opinion it was done in a way that would diffuse a range of generally idiotic and ignorant remarks made by several "fans". Michael isn't even my favorite Beach Boy. That honor (LOL) goes to Brian, and has from the early days of my fandom. However, I did not close off my mind to the contributions of the others, including Michael. I suppose I'm more willing to accept them as a package deal, and not as "Brian, Dennis, Carl, Al, Bruce, and that bald asshole". Your mileage may vary. That's fine. They're the Beach Boys. They're the best fucking band in rock music. All nine of them.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »

Amen!!!

And it also depresses me how some people talk about loving the "oldies, fun fun fun stuff" as if there is anything in the hell wrong with that stuff other than it being awesome and earth shattering!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »

And I should probably qualify: my favorite BBs era was Surfin Safari through Pet Sounds, but my favorite album is , by far, Holland.

Brian is my favorite Beach Boy

My top two Beach Boys songs are Goin On and Getcha Back (that ought to say something in and of itself)

I think Dennis is the greatest solo artist in history.

Carl is the greatest singer in history

Mike/Brian are one of the most important songwriting/co-lead singing teams in music history.

Greatest band of all-time: THE BEACH BOYS
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »

Erik, you are a sound fella and I am sorry I incited your ire in this thread.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »

Amen!!!

And it also depresses me how some people talk about loving the "oldies, fun fun fun stuff" as if there is anything in the hell wrong with that stuff other than it being awesome and earth shattering!
Beach Boys were good at any music they tried in 1960s period. The TAMI show and the lost concert showed the original 5 members would rock the early material live like no other band.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:10:38 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »

Hey, no apology necessary!

It's serious business discussing turbans, baseball caps, Hawaiian shirts, bad jokes, extremely tight white pants, Stamos, TM lectures, scratchy red beards, robes, bald heads, sub-Jagger stripper-esque dance moves, oldsurferdude, Kokomo .....

.... but we do it with Love  Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »

.... but we do it with Love  Smiley

You keep that filth to yourself, this is a family messageboard  Wink

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 03:12:03 PM »

awww group hug everyone group hug

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »

You keep that filth to yourself, this is a family messageboard  Wink

My bad!

That sort of thing is between oldsurferdude and his shrink, and is none of our business. But let's get him in on the group hug too, please!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:13:53 PM by Erik H » Logged
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »

turbans, baseball caps, Hawaiian shirts, bad jokes, extremely tight white pants, Stamos, TM lectures, scratchy red beards, robes, bald heads, sub-Jagger stripper-esque dance moves, Kokomo

Hey, that's what I like about Mike Love! :D Who else combines all these elements into one person?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »

Mike is far from my favorite Beach Boy, which is Brian for the obvious reasons. Carl is my favorite singer, especially in concert. My favorite songs, in order are: Wouldn't It Be Nice, Darlin' and Fun Fun Fun. Albums: Today, Sunflower and Love You. My favorite songs are not even on my favorite albums. I like everything, even SIP, for the most part.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »

turbans, baseball caps, Hawaiian shirts, bad jokes, extremely tight white pants, Stamos, TM lectures, scratchy red beards, robes, bald heads, subjugate  dance moves, Kook

Hey, that's what I like about Mike Love! :D Who else combines all these elements into one person?
Mike truly is the man because he is jack of all trades with awesomely cheesy and cornball behavior.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »

Mike is far from my favorite Beach Boy, which is Brian for the obvious reasons. Carl is my favorite singer, especially in concert. My favorite songs, in order are: Wouldn't It Be Nice, Darlin' and Fun Fun Fun. Albums: Today, Sunflower and Love You. My favorite songs are not even on my favorite albums. I like everything, even SIP, for the most part.

In some ways, I envy those of you that can pick your favorite song(s)/LP(s);   I can't do it.
There are just TOO many, and other than  SIP/SC, I love all of them, allbeit at different times. I can never single them out.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:18 PM »

Let's just say they are songs and albums that I can listen at any time, that I never get tired of, ever. I have always had an affinity for Wouldn't It Be Nice since the first time that I heard it as an 11 year old kid. For me, it is the greatest song ever written.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »

Sounded like a fact to me. Come on, no need to get pissy about it. Challenge my front man opinion, not that I mistook what you meant, like I'm a mind reader. IMO would work nicely, and hardly any extra typing required. I'll state this next thing as opinion, but it is most likely a fact; Mike Love was, is and will continue to be the face of The Beach Boys. Good frontmen usually are...discuss. Wink

Two observations

1) One could put up a good argument that the Beach Boys best live era (1972-1974) was also a time when Mike's role was more limited in terms of leads and presense (Carl was front and center)

2) Didn't Bruce serve as the emcee in the late 60's until his departure?

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2011, 04:04:23 PM »

I'd say that's absolutely the best live period as far as being a tight, exciting, working unit that could stand up to the most popular and well oiled live acts of that time (and anytime really) , but for myself, as THE BEACH BOYS, I'm especially fond of the Brian led prime and 76-80 with Dennis back on drums!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »

And by "well oiled" I am not making reference to the shirtless Mike pics on the In Concert album jacket!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx