gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:38:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Who is The Bestest of The Best?
The Ronettes
The Crystals
The Shangri-Las
The Supremes
The Marvelettes
The Velvettes
The Honeys
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
The Dixie-Cups
The Shirelles
The Paris Sisters
Gladys Knight & The Pips
Barbara Lewis
Little Eva
Darlene Love
Lesley Gore
The Chiffons
Rosie & The Originals
The Chordettes
The Fleetwoods
Other (Tell us about them!)

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Great 60's 'Girl Group' Poll  (Read 10039 times)
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:24 PM »

Cool topic!

I'll have to go for the obvious choice - the Ronettes. Not only do I think that their best songs easily make the output of any other girl group pale in comparison, they were also incredibly sexy - which I don't think you can honestly say about a lot of the other groups mentioned. (Though Mary Weiss was really hot!  Grin)

I don't understand why the Fleetwoods figure in the poll? Gary Troxel sang lead on 99% of their songs. Now there's an underrated group who recorded a wealth of beautiful stuff, though I wouldn't call it girl group pop... My favourite by them would probably be this late recording, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the original version of this classic song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A00Ub78Vm_E

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »

Has anyone ever listened to Rhino's 'One Kiss Led To Another' girl group box?

IT'S INCREDIBLE.

Kinda renders the concept of a poll a bit useless - so many one-offs in the genre. I can't believe music this good exists, and that some bastards still think rock music was somehow dead inbetween Buddy Holly and The Beatles. The girl group has probably got the perfect pop song somewhere, I just haven't found it yet....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 03:17:39 AM »

Has anyone ever listened to Rhino's 'One Kiss Led To Another' girl group box?

IT'S INCREDIBLE.

Kinda renders the concept of a poll a bit useless - so many one-offs in the genre. I can't believe music this good exists, and that some bastards still think rock music was somehow dead inbetween Buddy Holly and The Beatles. The girl group has probably got the perfect pop song somewhere, I just haven't found it yet....

In complete agreement about the ridiculous "Doldrums" theory. As for the perfect GG record, my money would probably be on either "He's So Fine", "(The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up" (that false ending!) or "Give Him A Great Big Kiss". H'mmm.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »

I already voted months ago for the Shangrila's.  The reason I went with them, isn't because I think they were the most talented.  the Supremes, the Ronnettes, probably many girl groups were actually much better singers and even made better songs, but when you say "Girl Group" you kind of draw up notions of girls in high school, being girly and cute in an 18 year old way.  The Ronnettes were great because Veronica had such an incredible voice, and the songs were so well written, and the production was perfect.  The Supremes were the original Divas, some of the greatest music of all time, they're like the Godzilla female group, nobody will ever be on their level.  The Shang-ri-las, though, were a GIRL group.  They sang stupid songs about running away from home, or kissing their boyfriend, or dating a guy with a motorcyle, or whatever.  Now *THAT* is what a Girl Group is all about.  They were easily my favorite. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 11:05:28 PM »

they were also incredibly sexy - which I don't think you can honestly say about a lot of the other groups mentioned. (

I always thought that Diana Ross pulled off 'sexy' when they were singing, and she had that thing she did with her shoulders.  I never understood what people saw in her, until I saw that the first time.  Something about it makes me want to have sex with her.  LOL. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8O6tEYKNRM&feature=related

My Diana Ross, in my mind, is still just like that.  Same type of dress, she's in Black and White, she's standing on a stage.  The newer Diana Ross doesn't exist.  Same thing I've done with Michael Jackson, lol.  He never got past the mid 90's in my mind. 

By the way watching that video, makes it really hard not to go back and vote the Supremes best ever.  I think they were so talented it's easy to forget just how great they were. 
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »

Nothing beats Dancin' in the Street and Nowhere to Run!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:28:28 AM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »

Except for Leader of the Pack and (Remember) Walking In the Sand!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2011, 03:42:12 AM »

And Be My Baby, Be My Baby, and don't forget Be My Baby! [/Brian Wilson Mode]

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 01:37:16 AM »

When discussing girl groups in past threads, I said they're stupid. Here will say it again - stupid, starting with hairstyle ending with the girl group singing. Despite it, I choose The Chordettes. Songs catchy, light, sunny, filled with positivity & really charming voices ("Mr. Sandman" immediately gives you good mood which imo is music's chief purpose). Cool thing about this band is you don't hear uber-lush slick arrangement in the girls' songs. It's in compare simplistic. To these ears, the less "powerful", the better.
Black girl groups - The Supremes due to Diana Ross (d'uh!). She's really good, the best lead singer, beats any lead singer in listed here groups. Besides, some hits by Supremes miles better than the others'. Except Chiffons' sunny bright "One Fine Day" & Lesley Gore's cool chords-driven "It's My Party" (the single song by her I like). But, yep, the best is The Chordettes. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 07:29:26 AM »

When discussing girl groups in past threads, I said they're stupid. Here will say it again - stupid, starting with hairstyle ending with the girl group singing.

Aww. How can anyone not love The Shangri Las?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01YePzk29Mc

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »

As a child (6-7 years old) my favorite groups were the Chiffons and the Dixie-Cups (and their locally iconic song, Iko Iko).
A little older I liked the Shangri Las.
I came to love the “edgier”songs such as the Marvellettes’ Don’t Mess With Bill. And the later songs of the Supremes.

Favorite woman singers are Lesley Gore (love You Don’t Own Me) and Dusty Springfield.

As for big hair I was too young for it but it was the style back then - my oldest sister and her friends had the poofy big hair.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2018, 05:05:52 AM »

As a child (6-7 years old) my favorite groups were the Chiffons and the Dixie-Cups (and their locally iconic song, Iko Iko).
A little older I liked the Shangri Las.
I came to love the “edgier”songs such as the Marvellettes’ Don’t Mess With Bill. And the later songs of the Supremes.

Favorite woman singers are Lesley Gore (love You Don’t Own Me) and Dusty Springfield.

As for big hair I was too young for it but it was the style back then - my oldest sister and her friends had the poofy big hair.

Yes indeed, E. "He's So Fine" is one of the iconic NYGG records.

I used to own the stunning "Don't Mess With Bill" on one of three Hitsville USA comps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVsW_6AomOQ

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx