gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 06:40:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Band movie--a question about it  (Read 47524 times)
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »

I've got a question for the BBs sages. I haven't been able to find much info on the production of the American Band movie. What I am wondering specifically is when the voice-over narration was recorded (for instance, BW's narration that plays over the top of the "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" scene.) I know the movie was released in 1985, would it be safe to assume that the BB's voice-over's and filmed interviews were done in 1984, or was the production of the movie spread out over many years?  Thanks for any info.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:40:51 PM »

I've got a question for the BBs sages. I haven't been able to find much info on the production of the American Band movie. What I am wondering specifically is when the voice-over narration was recorded (for instance, BW's narration that plays over the top of the "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" scene.) I know the movie was released in 1985, would it be safe to assume that the BB's voice-over's and filmed interviews were done in 1984, or was the production of the movie spread out over many years?  Thanks for any info.
I think we've discussed Brian's involvement on the film and that based on my (and others on the Board)'s observation, most footage was taken from the 'bedroom scene' era of Brian and that Brian wasn't involved that much because of Landy, thus using old footage/interviews...but that's just my opinion based on observation.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »

Judging from how Brian looks in the referenced scene, I'd say it was mid-1976.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »

A lot of it is 1976 special outtakes. Much of the rest is from The Old Grey Wistle Test.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:59:22 AM »

Some snippets come from this interview with Bob Harris:

http://www.globalimageworks.com/clip-brian-wilson-interview-beach-boys-1874_023?id=45092&search_string=brian+wilson&submit_x=0&submit_y=0&search_type=all&startrow=0

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »

Thanks so much for the info! This board is a pretty amazing resource.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:11 AM »

Wow, I had never seen the full interview, thank you so much for the link!
I love how he speaks of "Hey Little Tomboy", "My Solution" and "Mount Vernon and Fairway", of all songs!

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 01:27:56 AM »

Other people can actually get the interview to load?! It just loads forever for me.  Cry

No mas, por favor.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 01:35:53 AM »

Other people can actually get the interview to load?! It just loads forever for me.  Cry

I signed up for an account with them (Global Image Works) and am slowly downloading the thing in MOV format. I'll let you know if it works! Piping hot clam chowder enemas.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 01:56:29 AM »

I signed up for an account with them (Global Image Works) and am slowly downloading the thing in MOV format. I'll let you know if it works! Piping hot clam chowder enemas.

Sweet, thanks. It actually started playing though, surprisingly. Been trying for a couple days.

Fascinating interview. Is there more stuff like this?

No mas, por favor.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »

That was fantastic! Odd that the audio only worked in the right channel (Brian's deaf ear of course). I think I'll convert it into a mono AVI..... Oh, and that clam chowder thingy!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 02:26:18 AM »

I'm actually downloading them without having an account..   Smokin
But lots of goodies there, too bad many are silent.

And yeah, some take ages to start playing...

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 03:51:18 AM »

American Band uses interview footage shot for the 76 special (Brian in bed, his birthday, Dennis and Carl in the studio discussing Murry, etc) also footage shot in 1980 for the Twentieth Anniversary special (Dennis on his boat, Carl on the beach, etc) and some footage shot in 1981 for another TV show (Carl discussing why he left the band, etc) and some linking footage actually shot in 83-84 (such as Al and the Hawthorne Football team)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 06:05:18 AM »

…lots of goodies there, too bad many are silent.

Not wrong!  Type "Beach Boys" into the search field and see what comes up:

http://www.globalimageworks.com/clip-brian-wilson-in-recording-studio-1874_026?id=45094&search_string=beach+boys&submit_y=10&search_type=all&startrow=0

… for example…

“We live in divisive times.”
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 11:36:53 AM »

…lots of goodies there, too bad many are silent.

Not wrong!  Type "Beach Boys" into the search field and see what comes up:

http://www.globalimageworks.com/clip-brian-wilson-in-recording-studio-1874_026?id=45094&search_string=beach+boys&submit_y=10&search_type=all&startrow=0

… for example…

This website is awesome!  In that first clip, the lady at the end looks like the woman that is referred to in a caption in WIBN as Alexandra or Gene's Mother.

The last clip on that first page is hilarious.  Brian: Culture Club is my favorite band that I have heard recently....especially Boy George, how he dresses up like a girl.....we could do that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:42:26 AM by Parks Asher » Logged
Jason
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »

Piping hot clam chowder enemas.

Unreleased Zappa album title?  LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »

Great film archive site, but a few quick points on that firehat clip.

Obviously it's not a film of "Fire" as labeled, because the film was shot by Dennis inside the control room of Western #3. Two very interesting things to look for in that clip:

Van Dyke Parks wearing a firehat:

Brian and a mystery engineer or assistant engineer also wearing the hats. Can anyone identify the engineer with the white shirt, tie, and firehat behind Brian?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »

I could swear Van Dyke said he did not attend the fire sessions. But there he is.

Or...did he attend the fire sessions, didn't like what he saw happening, then split the project?

Can anybody clarify?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »

It's been established almost since the footage was released on An American Band 26 years ago that this is not the "Fire" session: aside from the presence of people who weren't there (Mike, Carl, VDP), the AFM for "Fire" states it was recorded at Gold Star, as does the Siegel article.

However... when I interviewed him in the control room of Western Three back in late March 1985, Chuck told me a funny little story about the "Fire" session, and it wasn't until I was back at the hotel that it hit me, with almost physical force, that as it was recorded at Gold Star, why was he there, engineering ?  So, unless I totally misunderstood/mistranscribed from the tape what he was saying, maybe there was a further "Fire" session. Go figure.

It's late now, but tomorrow I'll post what he actually told me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »

It's been established almost since the footage was released on An American Band 26 years ago that this is not the "Fire" session: aside from the presence of people who weren't there (Mike, Carl, VDP), the AFM for "Fire" states it was recorded at Gold Star, as does the Siegel article.

However... when I interviewed him in the control room of Western Three back in late March 1985, Chuck told me a funny little story about the "Fire" session, and it wasn't until I was back at the hotel that it hit me, with almost physical force, that as it was recorded at Gold Star, why was he there, engineering ?  So, unless I totally misunderstood/mistranscribed from the tape what he was saying, maybe there was a further "Fire" session. Go figure.

This night is going to seem almost 40 years long.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 05:34:51 PM »

… it wasn't until I was back at the hotel that it hit me, with almost physical force, that as it was recorded at Gold Star, why was he there, engineering ?  So, unless I totally misunderstood/mistranscribed from the tape what he was saying, maybe there was a further "Fire" session. Go figure.

Could the clip have been from a mixing session, maybe when the crackling sound effects were added? Might explain why everyone's stood around doing nothing, ie, no sign of any instruments actually being played. Presence of Al & Carl etc also… shouldn't they have been touring when Fire was actually recorded?

Other guess would be a session for one of the bells & whistle style variants?

Just shots in the dark…

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »

Mr. Doe, besides your fantastic book and website, what other research have you done over the years? Who and when have you interviewed folks from the BB-Universe? I'd love to read this stuff if it's posted anywhere  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »

… it wasn't until I was back at the hotel that it hit me, with almost physical force, that as it was recorded at Gold Star, why was he there, engineering ?  So, unless I totally misunderstood/mistranscribed from the tape what he was saying, maybe there was a further "Fire" session. Go figure.

Could the clip have been from a mixing session, maybe when the crackling sound effects were added? Might explain why everyone's stood around doing nothing, ie, no sign of any instruments actually being played. Presence of Al & Carl etc also… shouldn't they have been touring when Fire was actually recorded?

Other guess would be a session for one of the bells & whistle style variants?

Just shots in the dark…

I'm thinking the same thing. Short of hearing the actual story about Chuck Britz, the first thing I had in mind was asking when did they add those sound effects to Fire, and given that this film was Western I thought perhaps this was that session.

A mix session would be a possibility, but so would a vocal session. Or any number of sessions where Brian wanted the folks around him to don fire hats, and we have no way of knowing exactly how many times he made that request.

I also found it humorous that I wrote above the photos "obviously it's not a film of "Fire" as labeled", only to see the very next response ask about "Fire"... Grin However, in light of this forthcoming information from Chuck Britz, the clip may damned well be "Fire" after all! Ironic.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »

Mr. Doe, besides your fantastic book and website, what other research have you done over the years? Who and when have you interviewed folks from the BB-Universe? I'd love to read this stuff if it's posted anywhere  Wink

Over the years I've interviewed/spoken to:

Brian
Carl
Dennis
Alan
Bruce
David
Scott Bennett
Darian Sahanaja
Probyn Gregory
Nelson Bragg
Jack Rieley
Steve Kalinich
Chuck Britz
Steve Desper
The Honeys
Dan Rutherford
Barbara Charren-Wilson
Ed Roach
Jasper Dailey
Sharon Marie
Mark Linett
Alan Boyd
Gene Landy
... and others who requested anonymity.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »

... and others who requested anonymity.

Okay we'll spare you having to break the confidences but what did Chuck say that time? Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx