gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:17:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to entirely embarrass a friend :-D  (Read 20752 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »

If it means I have to wait a couple more months while they get the deal locked down for the Frank Holmes artwork, I'll wait. No problem at all. They need to get this thing right. Frank's a great guy and he deserves this, and so does Brian and the fans.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »

Let's really hope they don't use a Mark London cover.  ( nothing personal)

Agree with you 100%. Nothing personal on my part either.

Thirded. I'd be surprised if they'd commision new artwork for this though. If Frank's image isn't used I suspect we'll get the Smile type along the same lines as the 78. It could be classy, as that Smile type has a lot of personality, but of course it would not be a patch on them using Frank's image.

What are the chances we get the original booklet somewhere in this? I guess the pages may be scattered throughout the 60 page book. Would be great if it's there as an insert inside the vinyl (Actually, was the original booklet planned as an insert? I just presumed this). Or with the CDs if they did a Japan mini LP thing and reproduced a miniature booklet for that? Oooh, so much potential for disappointment with this!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:41:47 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2011, 01:01:14 PM »

Thirded. I'd be surprised if they'd commision new artwork for this though. If Frank's image isn't used I suspect we'll get the Smile type along the same lines as the 78. It could be classy, as that Smile type has a lot of personality, but of course it would not be a patch on them using Frank's image.

What are the chances we get the original booklet somewhere in this? I guess the pages may be scattered throughout the 60 page book. Would be great if it's there as an insert inside the vinyl (Actually, was the original booklet planned as an insert? I just presumed this). Or with the CDs if they did a Japan mini LP thing and reproduced a miniature booklet for that? Oooh, so much potential for disappointment with this!

Given that the original booklet was Frank's artwork and BBs photos; and also given that Capitol /EMI has decided not to use Frank's artwork for the box, I'd say there's no chance of getting the orignal booklet.
 But I have to believe we'll be getting lots of photos.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2011, 01:28:37 PM »

Given that the original booklet was Frank's artwork and BBs photos; and also given that Capitol /EMI has decided not to use Frank's artwork for the box, I'd say there's no chance of getting the orignal booklet.

Hang about, is it official that Capitol/EMI aren't using Frank's artwork? When did that happen?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2011, 02:54:21 PM »

Hang about, is it official that Capitol/EMI aren't using Frank's artwork? When did that happen?!

I haven't heard it from Capitol; I was told today, by someone that seems pretty solid with their info, that someone else( other than Frank) is doing the artwork for the box

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »

Given that the original booklet was Frank's artwork and BBs photos; and also given that Capitol /EMI has decided not to use Frank's artwork for the box...

Care to show me your source for that ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »

I haven't heard it from Capitol; I was told today, by someone that seems pretty solid with their info, that someone else( other than Frank) is doing the artwork for the box

Is it possible that someone else is doing the overall design of the set, but UTILIZING FH's original art? Or is your source implying (or stating outright) that FH is out completely?

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »

Can I just say that I've never liked Frank's artwork?

Iconic, yes, and historically accurate -- so I agree it would be nice to see it in the boxed set.

But I've always found it rather amateurish looking, and kind of tacky compared to the sophisticated music from the sessions.

I'm not that much of a fan of the London design either -- I love the embossed cover, but the old-engraving-clip-art stuff inside misses the point almost as much as Frank's work.

[Edit]
 I've always felt there was some visual aspect to the music that no one has quite found yet. In some ways, I find the cover of Smiley Smile the most appealing of all. But that's a finished album ...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:11:44 PM by Wirestone » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »

Michael Vosse talking about the Smile Shop cover in 1969...

That's why they had something as dumb as the "Smile Shop" on the cover. And everybody who knew anything about graphics, and about art, thought that the cover was not terribly well done . . . but Brian knew better: he was right. It was exactly what he wanted, precisely what he wanted. And he stuck to it until they went into the Smiley Smile thing, by which time the whole idea had collapsed anyway.

It is going to be incredibly disappointing if the Smile shop cover isn't used.  Having the booklet illustrations would be great, too, but their absence wouldn't be as hard to take.  For all these years, most of us have operated under the assumption that an official Capitol release would feature the original cover.   To finally do an official release without the iconic cover will be a huge mistake.  Of course, I (and undoubtedly all of the other hardcore fans here) will still buy whatever they release... no matter what's on the cover.  That's not the point.  Sure, the world won't end if we get a different cover, but I and many others will feel a bit cheated.  Also, I wonder if the lack of the Smile Shop cover won't subtly contribute to the perception that what we're finally getting isn't the REAL Smile, after all.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  When anyone who knows anything about the Beach Boys' Smile expects it to have a certain cover, but it comes out with a different cover, might it not plant a seed of doubt about the validity of the whole enterprise?

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »

Hey, I'm a huge fan of Frank's work, and I'll be sorely disappointed if it's not used in this release, but I'm not getting any younger.  I, for one, will NOT be happy to wait until 2013 for the Smile box.   Sure, a delay of a month or two would be fine.   But a year or two?  I must part company with you on that one.  

I'm hoping that sensible minds prevail on both sides and mutually agreeable terms are reached... soon.

I agree.  Without Holmes' artwork, the box will always be historically deficient.  But if reasonable terms can't be reached soon after good faith negotiations, it's time to move on.  And if it were a project budget decision of paying ridiculous $$ for the artwork vs. paying a collector for some unbooted gem (a completed CIFOTM for instance), I'd take the set in a brown paper bag.  

I wonder if we will ever learn what kind of negotiations have been going on behind the scenes?  Has there ever been a similar archival project where so many original tapes are missing?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:38:51 PM by Les P » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »

Hey, I'm a huge fan of Frank's work, and I'll be sorely disappointed if it's not used in this release, but I'm not getting any younger.  I, for one, will NOT be happy to wait until 2013 for the Smile box.   Sure, a delay of a month or two would be fine.   But a year or two?  I must part company with you on that one.  

I'm hoping that sensible minds prevail on both sides and mutually agreeable terms are reached... soon.

I agree.  Without Holmes' artwork, the box will always be historically deficient.  But if reasonable terms can't be reached soon after good faith negotiations, it's time to move on.  And if it were a project budget decision of paying ridiculous $$ for the artwork vs. paying a collector for some unbooted gem (a completed CIFOTM for instance), I'd take the set in a brown paper bag.  

I wonder if we will ever learn what kind of negotiations have been going on behind the scenes?  Has there ever been a similar archival project where so many original tapes are missing?

That's a good argument; it's just that I bet Capitol is balking at paying the price for Collectors' tracks too.  They've got their market, plus they already have SO many tapes to draw from, why bother paying out today, what they won't likely recoup tomorrow?

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »

That's a good argument; it's just that I bet Capitol is balking at paying the price for Collectors' tracks too.  They've got their market, plus they already have SO many tapes to draw from, why bother paying out today, what they won't likely recoup tomorrow?

Today I went back and re-read this account of lengthy negotiations for "Shut Down Vol. 2" master tapes, and I just imagined this going on with multiple collectors of SMILE material and how much cash that could add up to.   You're right...Capitol knows the diehards like us will buy the box no matter what is on there.  Having a completed CIFOTM (for instance) isn't going to be what sways a casual BB fan to buy it.  So you're right, there's no reason for them to pay out a lot of cash they can't recoup.  They may be spending some extra money for the prestige factor - and they deserve credit for that -  but at the end of the day they still are a commercial enterprise.

http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/3164/the-reel-deal/
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:35:50 PM by Les P » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:29 AM »

Oh crap - that's a bummer indeed. I really hope by artwork you just mean 'design' and that the design is as unobtrusive as possible. If this thing has newly illustrated artwork by anyone other than Holmes it will be a great shame.

Thanks for the info . With all respect, I do hope you're wrong though!  Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2011, 01:34:36 AM »

The Capitol press release detailed who was handling the art – as in, the design, not the actual illustrating. That might be the answer. Don't have a link to it right now – anyone?

“We live in divisive times.”
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2011, 02:57:20 AM »

The Capitol press release detailed who was handling the art – as in, the design, not the actual illustrating. That might be the answer. Don't have a link to it right now – anyone?

THE BEACH BOYS’ LEGENDARY ‘SMiLE’ ALBUM SESSIONS TO BE RELEASED THIS YEAR BY CAPITOL/EMI
Never-Before-Released Original 1966-’67 Album Sessions Compiled for 2CD and Digital Packages and Deluxe, Limited Edition Box Set

Hollywood, California - March 14, 2011 – Between the summer of 1966 and early 1967, The Beach Boys recorded, in several sessions, a bounty of songs and drafts for an album, SMiLE, that was intended to follow the band’s 1966 masterpiece, Pet Sounds. The sessions were ultimately shelved, and The Beach Boys’ SMiLE has never been released. With the full participation of original Beach Boys Al Jardine, Mike Love, and Brian Wilson, Capitol/EMI has collected and compiled the definitive collection, ‘The SMiLE Sessions,’ for worldwide release this year in multiple physical and digital configurations.

The SMiLE Sessions presents an in-depth overview of The Beach Boys' recording sessions for the enigmatic album, which has achieved legendary, mythical status for music fans around the world. The SMiLE Sessions will be released in 2CD and digital album packages and a deluxe, limited edition box set.

Co-produced by Mark Linett and Alan Boyd, all of The SMiLE Sessions’ physical and digital configurations will include an assembled album of core tracks, while the box set delves much deeper into the sessions, adding early song drafts, alternate takes, instrumental and vocals-only mixes, and studio chatter. The SMiLE Sessions invites the listener into the studio to experience the album's creation, with producer, singer and bassist Brian Wilson's vision leading the way as he guides his fellow Beach Boys, singer Mike Love, drummer Dennis Wilson, lead guitarist Carl Wilson, rhythm guitarist Al Jardine, and newest member Bruce Johnston (who'd replaced Brian Wilson in the touring group during 1965), through the legendary sessions.

"I'm thrilled that The Beach Boys' original studio sessions for SMiLE will be released for the first time, after all these years,” says Brian Wilson. “I'm looking forward to this collection of the original recordings and having fans hear the beautiful angelic voices of the boys in a proper studio release.”

“One of my favorite songs from the SMiLE sessions is ‘Wonderful’,” says Mike Love. “The song truly lives up to its title, as do many of the tracks on SMiLE. Cousin Brian was at his creative peak during those sessions. I’m unaware of anything that comes close in pop music.”

“I recently played some of my personal acetates from the SMiLE sessions and they held up really well,” says Al Jardine. “We would come home from touring and go straight into the studio to record. Brian couldn't wait to show us his latest ideas. We were recording SMiLE and Pet Sounds material simultaneously, so the tracks and vocals all have the same great quality. Most of the vocals were done at Columbia Studios in Hollywood, across the street from Western Studios, where most of the tracking was done.”

“For me, it's always been about the way Brian Wilson brilliantly composed and 'voiced' his amazing chord progressions and melodies,” says Bruce Johnston. “SMiLE really made me smile!”

“Personally, I loved it,” the late Carl Wilson said in 1994 of the SMiLE sessions (from the Don Was-directed documentary, Brian Wilson: I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times).

“In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is,” the late Dennis Wilson told a journalist in 1966 of the planned SMiLE album.

What Brian Wilson brought to the table, in his effort to maintain The Beach Boys' position among the top rock 'n' roll bands of the day, was beyond what anyone could have expected. Beginning with “Good Vibrations,” then into SMiLE, Wilson had begun to construct songs in a modular form, crafting individual sections that would later be edited together to form a coherent whole. In several intense bursts of creative energy, Wilson, drawing on the talents of the finest studio musicians in Los Angeles and utilizing the best studio facilities available on any given day, laid down dozens and dozens of musical fragments, all designed to fit together in any number of possible combinations. No one had done this in pop music, and Wilson had just created “Good Vibrations,” The Beach Boys’ best-selling record in a long string of hits, by using this method. His next endeavor would be an album-length version of this unique and luxurious songwriting parlance: SMiLE.

In 1965, Brian Wilson had met an up-and-coming session keyboard player and songwriter, Van Dyke Parks. Noticing Parks' conversational eloquence, Wilson felt that he could help to volley The Beach Boys’ songwriting into the wave of broader-messaged and socially-conscious rock 'n' roll that would come to define the '60s. They were soon collaborating on keynote songs for SMiLE, including “Heroes and Villains,” the band’s follow-up single to “Good Vibrations.” Wilson and Parks would also co-write “Surf's Up,” “Vegetables,” “Cabin Essence,” “Do You Like Worms,” “Wonderful,” “Wind Chimes,” and other bits and pieces of the SMiLE tapestry. Parks also introduced Beat-Pop artist Frank Holmes to create album sleeve art and a booklet interpreting the album’s James Joyce-mode lyrics.

The reason SMiLE did not see a release in early 1967 had more to do with back room business that obscured the creative side of the program than anything else. In late 1966, The Beach Boys formed Brother Records, initially to produce outside artists. Soon, however, The Beach Boys would become embroiled in a court action with Capitol Records with the goal to become the top-selling artists on their self-owned, independent label. The group withheld “Heroes and Villains” and announced they would instead release “Vegetables” – recorded with the band’s own money in April of '67 – on Brother Records. By July of 1967, Capitol Records and The Beach Boys had come to terms, with Capitol agreeing to distribute the band’s Brother Records, and it was agreed that SMiLE was no longer to be the band’s next album.

The SMiLE Sessions’ global release date, complete track lists, and artwork will be unveiled soon.

“Surf's up, aboard a tidal wave, come about hard and join the young and often spring you gave. I heard the word, wonderful thing ... a children's song... ”
– from “Surf's Up” (Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks)

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2011, 03:12:33 AM »

I guess one way to put the squeeze on a artist would be to suggest there is a plan B. Not saying this is happening in this case. Wink

This set without the FHs cover would be like a reissue of 'Pet Sounds' without the sheep. A no brainer! Roll Eyes
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2011, 03:15:02 AM »

Darn, I was a mile or two out.

The info came from Peter Reum on this very board:

I would like to say that Domenic is writing the notes for the booklet and insert for the two cd set. Tom Recchion, the Art Director at Capitol/EMI is selecting content for visuals and layout, as well as the overall product`s non cd/vinyl content. Dom is also helping Tom with finding "stuff" needed for the booklet. Domenic is a valuable part of the team assembled for The Smile Sessions, and is playing an integral role.

Tom Recchion -  could that be the guy bgas was alluding to?

What we need is a wonderful handy reference book to the SmileyBoard so we can look this stuff up in a nanosecond!  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2011, 03:40:51 AM »

Darn, I was a mile or two out.

The info came from Peter Reum on this very board:

I would like to say that Domenic is writing the notes for the booklet and insert for the two cd set. Tom Recchion, the Art Director at Capitol/EMI is selecting content for visuals and layout, as well as the overall product`s non cd/vinyl content. Dom is also helping Tom with finding "stuff" needed for the booklet. Domenic is a valuable part of the team assembled for The Smile Sessions, and is playing an integral role.

Tom Recchion -  could that be the guy bgas was alluding to?

What we need is a wonderful handy reference book to the SmileyBoard so we can look this stuff up in a nanosecond!  Grin

It will all be included in my forthcoming book The Smile Sessions Finally Released in 2011, or How To Piss Off Phil Cohen At One Fell StrokeGrin

Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »

It will all be included in my forthcoming book The Smile Sessions Finally Released in 2011, or How To Piss Off Phil Cohen At One Fell StrokeGrin

Will that also be released before October?   Razz
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »

Day after the box.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »

Day after the box.

Ahh, January 11th, 2012, then

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »

Day after the box.

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

Day after the box.

Can this be pre-ordered at Amazon?

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:14 AM »

Day after the box.

Can this be pre-ordered at Amazon?

Only pre-ordered at Borders.

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »

earcandy can replace Taylor as eye candy AFAIC Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx