gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:16:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86058 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 24, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »

Why is it that everyone feels they deserve to get things for free?

Why does Mojo get to profit from someone else's creativity is, I think, a question is a lot harder to find a convincing answer for.

Hmm. Let's see, here'e three: 
They've invested the time and $$ to run their business, and they're paying for the right to use that creativity; 
They're the ones that put out this issue that includes the , somewhat, free 45.
They pay people to write the articles in their mag( good or bad)

Why do people feel they deserve to sponge off the people that have spent the $$ to buy the mag? ( some people don't mind sharing, obviously)
I'll be glad to provide you my snail address, if you'll send me everything you own, that I desire to have. Plese make a list of everything you have, so I'll know what to ask for.
Sir, don't forget you are living in a world where people are taught property rights do not matter and that everyone should somehow benefit from someone else's work without lifting a finger and that...well, you get the idea. Garbage in garbage out.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 24, 2011, 11:38:34 PM »

\
Hmm. Let's see, here'e three:  
They've invested the time and $$ to run their business, and they're paying for the right to use that creativity;  
They're the ones that put out this issue that includes the , somewhat, free 45.
They pay people to write the articles in their mag( good or bad)

I'm afraid none of those are convincing.

1. The fact that the magazine is paying to profit from someone else's creativity doesn't justify the fact that they are earning money from the work that someone else has done. Just because they have sacrificed some of that profit by "paying for the rights" is hardly compelling. Ultimately, they are packaging the 45 with the intention that it will help sell more magazines. So in other words, it's okay to profit off of work done by other people if you're a magazine. But if you simply want to hear the music without profiting anyone, then it's a serious problem. So, basically, the key thing here is profit - doesn't matter if it's the creator.
2. So I should be thankful that Mojo is giving me a 45 that is "somewhat free" but I should complain when someone asks to drop the "somewhat"?
3. This has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Why do people feel they deserve to sponge off the people that have spent the $$ to buy the mag? ( some people don't mind sharing, obviously)

Please provide evidence that proves that you know what "people feel" when they are making this request.

I'll be glad to provide you my snail address, if you'll send me everything you own, that I desire to have. Plese make a list of everything you have, so I'll know what to ask for.

Uh huh - in what fairy tale land do you live in where when you send someone a copy of a song, do you lose the song from your own possession as a consequence?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:58:49 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 24, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »

Sir, don't forget you are living in a world where people are taught property rights do not matter and that everyone should somehow benefit from someone else's work without lifting a finger and that...well, you get the idea.

Where is this taught, exactly?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 25, 2011, 01:39:16 AM »

Jeez, bgas has gone all Lars Ulrich on us!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 25, 2011, 02:11:40 AM »

I'm afraid none of those are convincing.

1. The fact that the magazine is paying to profit from someone else's creativity doesn't justify the fact that they are earning money from the work that someone else has done. Just because they have sacrificed some of that profit by "paying for the rights" is hardly compelling. Ultimately, they are packaging the 45 with the intention that it will help sell more magazines. So in other words, it's okay to profit off of work done by other people if you're a magazine. But if you simply want to hear the music without profiting anyone, then it's a serious problem. So, basically, the key thing here is profit - doesn't matter if it's the creator.

The big difference is that Mojo and BRI have mutually agreed on the entire procedure. That is, BRI says, "if you pay us xxx you are licensed to make a profit by using our work." When you copy the single into a format so that someone else can play it, you have not entered into any agreement with BRI to do so. You can define how much you disagree with that all you like, but that is the law and you will find both BRI and Mojo on your case if you started making a habit of doing so.  Just playing devil's advocate.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:41 AM »

Hey, is it too late to be the recipient  of a shiny new PM? I'm getting weary of haunting the youtubes in hopes of some wonderful surprise.

Maybe the mag wuill get to a store near you soon( I'm still hoping for me) and you can buy the mag. OR get one from MOJO, or Ebay.

I bought the magazine. Can someone PM me a fucking turntable to listen to the record that came with it?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: June 27, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »

Hey, is it too late to be the recipient  of a shiny new PM? I'm getting weary of haunting the youtubes in hopes of some wonderful surprise.

Maybe the mag wuill get to a store near you soon( I'm still hoping for me) and you can buy the mag. OR get one from MOJO, or Ebay.

I bought the magazine. Can someone PM me a friggin' turntable to listen to the record that came with it?

Post Of The Month winner.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 27, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »

Well, got mine today and if not for the record it would have been a total waste of time

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JJ3810
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 29, 2011, 12:17:29 PM »

For those of you who have given up looking at your local outlets as I have, CD Universe is shipping these at $23.50:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=8539317&Style=MUSIC
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 29, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »

Bought one locally today for $16.99. Came in a sealed plastic bag, so I guess I'll never actually see the record....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 29, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »

I bought the magazine. Can someone PM me a friggin' turntable to listen to the record that came with it?

Post Of The Month winner.  Grin
You obviously have not seen the recent threads started by my mate the monk and Bill!! Oh and Phils' over on the blue!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: June 29, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »

Bought one locally today for $16.99. Came in a sealed plastic bag, so I guess I'll never actually see the record....

Where's the fun in that?  Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 29, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »

It's not about fun; it's about feeling the vibrations coming thru the bag, and picturing what's really enclosed inside. Very akin to An Act of Creation

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:43 PM »

It's not about fun; it's about feeling the vibrations coming thru the bag, and picturing what's really enclosed inside. Very akin to An Act of Creation

LOL LOL LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 30, 2011, 12:12:47 AM »

Sounds more like Schrödinger's Cat to me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 30, 2011, 12:28:59 AM »

Sounds more like Schrödinger's Cat to me.

Wouldn't the Cat suffocate if it came in a sealed plastic bag?

“We live in divisive times.”
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 30, 2011, 01:07:07 AM »

Only if the bag was over its head as well.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 30, 2011, 01:21:11 AM »

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

You been watching too many California-made movies Bro'!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 30, 2011, 01:21:26 AM »

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

You been watching too many California-made movies Bro'!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:42:17 AM by John Manning » Logged

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: July 08, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »

I finally bothered to look for the Mojo special at the foreign magazine shop, as I thought even with the SMiLE part being not so terrific, it would be nice to have it. But the price was 22.95 Euros, which I thought was a bit much. That's about $32.85. How much was it in the US and the UK?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 08, 2011, 01:42:19 AM »

It was £10 in the UK, equivalent to about $16.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 08, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »

It was £10 in the UK, equivalent to about $16.
Yes, here it was $17. 

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 08, 2011, 07:30:44 AM »

Sir, don't forget you are living in a world where people are taught property rights do not matter and that everyone should somehow benefit from someone else's work without lifting a finger and that...well, you get the idea.

School, TV, every single politician ever.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 08, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »

School, TV, every single politician ever.

Oh come on, all of those politicians totally need those luxury cars they're leasing with our tax money. HOW COULD THEY POSSIBLY RUN THE COUNTRY IF THEY WERE FORCED TO DRIVE TOYOTAS?!

Even though that's barely dipping a toe into the pool. Maybe compared to what they spend it's more like just knowing that the pool actually exists.

If only we could have our cake and eat it like the people "running" our country get to. And yeah, they're running it. INTO THE GROUND.  Cool Guy

Anyways. Why you guys think it's okay to go off topic?

No mas, por favor.
Paulos
« Reply #474 on: February 18, 2012, 07:02:05 AM »

Resurrecting an old thread as didn't want to start a new one for no reason - I have just got back to the UK after travelling and I found that I had ordered 2 copies of the Mojo Smile special with the Cabin Essence/Wonderful yellow vinyl 45. This means that I have a spare which I am happy to send to anyone who didn't manage to get it (if anyone has a spare H&V record day vinyl they want to swap that would be even better!). 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx