gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 02:41:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MOJO Special Spolier  (Read 86007 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: June 21, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »

I was given a heads-up on how poor this might be some weeks before the special was out, and at someone else's urging I emailed Mojo, offering to proof and if needs be correct it, gratis. No reply.

And yes, I can't imagine a similarly significant Beatles piece going out without having been cross-checked with a minimum of five noted experts.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:00:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 21, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »

Very badly writen articles. I can't believe the Todd Gold is even used anymore. In the US it's been out of print since 1992.

Sloppy research. No excuse for it.

I wonder: the writer(s) in question get paid good money for their work. Yet many of us here could have done a better (sterling) job on the topic, and perhaps even under withholding all kinds of info (bleg-related) that would not have pleased the folks who permitted the free 45 to be released.

What is the world coming to?

I raised the same issue either here or buried elsewhere in another Smile-related discussion: How does this continue to happen? Quite frankly, I can name a handful of people - some professionals, some semi-pros, some amateurs - who would bring a level of passion, accuracy, and sheer enjoyment to a Smile writing project set for publication. I guess it's the way the system works, but knowing just how passionate and how obsessive fans of *this particular music* can be (I'm guilty as charged...), you would assume the pertinent facts would be checked before publishing an article. No one is perfect, but damn a simple call or email for verification to one of at least 20 people on this board alone could have made a difference.

Then again, even a place like McDonalds gets sloppy every so often and forgets the onions on your cheeseburger...out of an honest mistake or not giving a damn, who knows. Smiley

I think we might all be too close to the subject to give an objective view – that'd be why the mags commission pieces from journos, not fans.  That said, a true journalist wouldn't make such calamitous boo-boos… Aye, as guitarfool2002 says we all make mistakes – that's one of the processes by which the truth is eventually arrived at (as a journo I confess, mistakes, I've made a few) – but it sounds like these pieces are based on someone else's mistakes, mistakes which were outed long since.

I'm guessing that at least one might not get another commission from Mojo…

“We live in divisive times.”
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 21, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »

Journalism ain't what it used to be - facts no longer seem to matter

Cheers

Richard
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »

Who wrote the Mojo article? I remember being dissapointed with the big Smile feature Mojo did in 2004. Lots of references to the 'Earth Chant" and other made up merda.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 21, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »

Someone finally posted "Cabin Essence" from the single on youtube so us mere mortals can hear it (ahem).
http://youtu.be/8KntylDaudk
Boy, except for the surface noise—I think the infatuation with vinyl is anti-music myself—I've never heard this song sound more powerful. Great, great mix. In mono, this sounds like what I think BW had in mind all along: tender, spooky, ageless, and deep. It's also more complete-sounding as an arrangement than I've ever heard it before. I think they got the balances just right.
It's not the left side of the stereo mix. What a goofy idea, sorry. And If ya can't trust Mark and Alan, I just dunno what to say.

I agree totally. Man the fellow who even dared suggest that the 45 mixes were just fold down mixes ought to be publically executed.

It was Andrew who first suggested that it may one channel of the 20/20 mix. And it was me who synched the tracks and discovered that it most probably was.

I do hope tp god you are not directing this execution threat to me!

I expressed an educated opinion, and in no way criticised the track, and was careful to say that due to  missing tapes this was probably their only course of action.

I am always very respectful of other people on this site, even if I do not agree with them.

If this was directed to me booger fooger or whatever your name is then this is unacceptable. Don't even joke about killing someone. I find it extremely threatening and offensive.

Would this offend anyone else to be told you should be executed, or am I over reacting?

I'm all for debate, and have a thick skin, but I feel this crosses a line.

And if you don't agree with me, then synch the friggin' tracks yourself. To me it seems pretty obvious, unless you don't have the intelligence to understand  my earlier posts.

Aplogies to everyone else for this outburst, but this really p*ssed me off.

Mr Mooger Fooger, who was the subject of what is commonly referred to as self-deprecating humour wrote on Page 13 of this thread:

"OK I just put on the 45 to hear what exactly was done to the tracks. Cabinessence is as mentioned a mono mix. I'm leaning towards either a right only or left only channel fold-down to mono as it doesn't exhibit the electronic double tracking effect you hear if you do a fold-down mix to mono of the 20/20 version (or on the stereo 20/20 track if you simply play it as is on the album in stereo). There is no discernable addition on or processing of the track other than what is mentioned above."

What do you know: Mooger Fooger suggested it was a left channel fold down. He then called for his own public execution after finding out it was a silly idea.

Let's friggin lighten up for Pete's sake.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:31:51 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: June 21, 2011, 10:35:16 AM »

Who wrote the Mojo article? I remember being dissapointed with the big Smile feature Mojo did in 2004. Lots of references to the 'Earth Chant" and other made up merda.

Three articles:

Sylvie Simmons, pre-Smile

Harvey Kubernik, new interviews about Smile

Will Hodgkinson, post-Smile

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: June 21, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »

just to add my 2 cents ...

i received this last night and played the record: i agree these tracks never sounded better.  i'm kind of an analog purist and i can usually tell when the vinyl was pressed from a digital source, and i swear this sounds analog.  i'm assuming it was edited digitally but my ears tell me otherwise.  for instance, i find the DW pacific ocean blue sundazed reissue to sound good but definitely sounds like a digital master.  i know i'm dreaming, but maybe they mixed it to tape?  we'll see ...

in any case, it sounds super good and i'm really excited, more than before about the SMILE box ... they really made these sound like true original beach boys mono mixes.

the magazine articles are fine, too ... i think these are the best Brian Wilson/Al Jardine/Mike Love interviews I've read in a long time.  Brian talking about what it was like to work on 8-track, Al and Mike both seem more pensive and almost cosmic/existential ... i think everyone's heads and hearts are in a good place and it looks like we're gonna see something very special here.  i can't think of anything negative to post about this magazine or the 7" ... it's really great news!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: June 21, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »

the magazine articles are fine, too ... i can't think of anything negative to post about this magazine or the 7"

You're obviously reading a different magazine to the rest of us, then: the errors in the first and third articles are multiple and crass.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: June 21, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »

the magazine articles are fine, too ... i can't think of anything negative to post about this magazine or the 7"

You're obviously reading a different magazine to the rest of us, then: the errors in the first and third articles are multiple and crass.

nah, i get that there are errors, and i'm not saying the writing is superb or anything (not on par with yours sir!) ... certainly looks like a rush job, and yeh, i'm not into the pseduo-autobiography quotes, just saying that OVERALL i'm quite pleased with the package and the good elements outweight the bad! it's written for those who are totally unfamiliar and i think it comes accross just fine ... i mean, it perpetuates the myth; i think that's kind of cool.  once people dig in, they will get to the real details.

and yes, there are limitations in what Mr. Linnett, Mr. Boyd and their crew had to work with (i agree that "cabin essence" sounds like the bulk of it was taken from one-channel of the "20/20" master ... it has that "20/20" haze to it ... EQ, solid-state board, tape bias, whatever the sheen was) BUT, it sounds GREAT, it sounds AUTHENTIC -- which is such great news that I can't really find fault or nitpick!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:03:23 PM by DonnyL » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »

duplicate !
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:03:07 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #435 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »

Someone finally posted "Cabin Essence" from the single on youtube so us mere mortals can hear it (ahem).
http://youtu.be/8KntylDaudk
Boy, except for the surface noise—I think the infatuation with vinyl is anti-music myself—I've never heard this song sound more powerful. Great, great mix. In mono, this sounds like what I think BW had in mind all along: tender, spooky, ageless, and deep. It's also more complete-sounding as an arrangement than I've ever heard it before. I think they got the balances just right.
It's not the left side of the stereo mix. What a goofy idea, sorry. And If ya can't trust Mark and Alan, I just dunno what to say.

I agree totally. Man the fellow who even dared suggest that the 45 mixes were just fold down mixes ought to be publically executed.

It was Andrew who first suggested that it may one channel of the 20/20 mix. And it was me who synched the tracks and discovered that it most probably was.

I do hope tp god you are not directing this execution threat to me!

I expressed an educated opinion, and in no way criticised the track, and was careful to say that due to  missing tapes this was probably their only course of action.

I am always very respectful of other people on this site, even if I do not agree with them.

If this was directed to me booger fooger or whatever your name is then this is unacceptable. Don't even joke about killing someone. I find it extremely threatening and offensive.

Would this offend anyone else to be told you should be executed, or am I over reacting?

I'm all for debate, and have a thick skin, but I feel this crosses a line.

And if you don't agree with me, then synch the friggin' tracks yourself. To me it seems pretty obvious, unless you don't have the intelligence to understand  my earlier posts.

Aplogies to everyone else for this outburst, but this really p*ssed me off.

Mr Mooger Fooger, who was the subject of what is commonly referred to as self-deprecating humour wrote on Page 13 of this thread:

"OK I just put on the 45 to hear what exactly was done to the tracks. Cabinessence is as mentioned a mono mix. I'm leaning towards either a right only or left only channel fold-down to mono as it doesn't exhibit the electronic double tracking effect you hear if you do a fold-down mix to mono of the 20/20 version (or on the stereo 20/20 track if you simply play it as is on the album in stereo). There is no discernable addition on or processing of the track other than what is mentioned above."

What do you know: Mooger Fooger suggested it was a left channel fold down. He then called for his own public execution after finding out it was a silly idea.

Let's friggin lighten up for Pete's sake.

What can I say. I apologise wholeheartedly Mooger Fooger
I obviously didn't read back over the previous threads, and completely misunderstood
I know it's no excuse, but I periodically suffer from acute insomnia. I sleep for about an hour, then wake up unable to sleep again. After several nights of this I become over sensitive, paranoid and extremely irritable..
I apologise again for inflicting this on you.
As I say, no excuse, but an explanation

Normal service will now be resumed.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 21, 2011, 06:48:51 PM »

I was given a heads-up on how poor this might be some weeks before the special was out, and at someone else's urging I emailed Mojo, offering to proof and if needs be correct it, gratis. No reply.

And yes, I can't imagine a similarly significant Beatles piece going out without having been cross-checked with a minimum of five noted experts.

Ha!! Exactly what I thought. If this were the Beatles, everything would be painstakingly verified 10 times over to get every single fact right. Roll Eyes
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 21, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »

Bought mine just for the pictures..

Honestly given up on anything BB Related ever getting it right, well apart from the smile sessions I hope  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 21, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »

Bought mine just for the pictures..

Honestly given up on anything BB Related ever getting it right, well apart from the smile sessions I hope  Grin

WOW!  There's a pipe dream.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 22, 2011, 02:03:54 AM »

duplicate !

The universe, perhaps?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 22, 2011, 02:13:35 AM »

Bought mine just for the pictures...

Just to ensure I didn't miss out I ordered mine from the local newsagent. Still not arrived. Suspect it might be caught up somewhere in the Menzies/Smiths duopoly.

Have also ordered from the publisher but seems they're struggling too.

Sad

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 22, 2011, 02:29:45 AM »

Bought mine just for the pictures...

Just to ensure I didn't miss out I ordered mine from the local newsagent. Still not arrived. Suspect it might be caught up somewhere in the Menzies/Smiths duopoly.

Have also ordered from the publisher but seems they're struggling too.

Sad

Mike Love is doin' his evil thang again, it seems.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 22, 2011, 12:05:32 PM »

What can I say. I apologise wholeheartedly Mooger Fooger
I obviously didn't read back over the previous threads, and completely misunderstood
I know it's no excuse, but I periodically suffer from acute insomnia. I sleep for about an hour, then wake up unable to sleep again. After several nights of this I become over sensitive, paranoid and extremely irritable..
I apologise again for inflicting this on you.
As I say, no excuse, but an explanation

Normal service will now be resumed.

No worries and don't worry about it. Now let's crack open some champers and await the box-set.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: June 23, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »

If this were the Beatles, everything would be painstakingly verified 10 times over to get every single fact right. Roll Eyes

Ach! Those evil Beatles!  Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 23, 2011, 06:59:52 AM »

If this were the Beatles, everything would be painstakingly verified 10 times over to get every single fact right. Roll Eyes

Ach! Those evil Beatles!  Roll Eyes

Aye, and I bet there's no mention in this inaccurate, ill-informed mag of how the Beatles (thanks to Derek Taylor, the two-faced, backstabbing swine) listened to all the SMiLE tapes then plagiarised them for Sgt Pepper is there, eh? eh? EH?   Angry Angry Angry

Angry Angry Angry

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 24, 2011, 12:50:32 AM »

Just received the mag and read 2/3 of the BBs stuff so far. One or two nice quotes and an uncharacteristically talkative Brian but in the main, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 24, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »

Hey, is it too late to be the recipient  of a shiny new PM? I'm getting weary of haunting the youtubes in hopes of some wonderful surprise.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 24, 2011, 08:38:11 PM »

Hey, is it too late to be the recipient  of a shiny new PM? I'm getting weary of haunting the youtubes in hopes of some wonderful surprise.

Maybe the mag wuill get to a store near you soon( I'm still hoping for me) and you can buy the mag. OR get one from MOJO, or Ebay.
Why is it that everyone feels they deserve to get things for free?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »

Why does Mojo get to profit from someone else's creativity is, I think, a question is a lot harder to find a convincing answer for.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 24, 2011, 10:07:36 PM »

Why does Mojo get to profit from someone else's creativity is, I think, a question is a lot harder to find a convincing answer for.

Hmm. Let's see, here'e three: 
They've invested the time and $$ to run their business, and they're paying for the right to use that creativity; 
They're the ones that put out this issue that includes the , somewhat, free 45.
They pay people to write the articles in their mag( good or bad)

Why do people feel they deserve to sponge off the people that have spent the $$ to buy the mag? ( some people don't mind sharing, obviously)
I'll be glad to provide you my snail address, if you'll send me everything you own, that I desire to have. Plese make a list of everything you have, so I'll know what to ask for.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx