gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:01:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what do we know is in the Smile Box set ??  (Read 7401 times)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

Ok, Lets put our hearts and brains together and say what we know is gotta be in the Smile Box set??. I wish we had a tracklist by now but looks as if we have to wait till the last moment boo hoo  Smiley
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 01:48:13 PM »

Heroes and Villians
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »

Heroes and Villians
LOL
Jason
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »

That song is a piece of sh*t. :D
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 02:06:12 PM »

Can't Wait Too Long

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:07:56 PM »

I'm hoping that the special Mojo will provide us with some good information in less than 2 weeks.  I know that some here have expressed skepticism that it will reveal anything new, but I am expecting some solid details.  Clearly, the inclusion of the special vinyl single is an indication that this Mojo special was prepared with close cooperation from Capitol Records.  Moreover, you don't put out a cover story about Smile proclaiming "It's here! At last!" and then spend 20 pages NOT giving the reader at least some idea of what the "it" that's here is.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:15:23 PM »

I'm hoping that the special Mojo will provide us with some good information in less than 2 weeks.  I know that some here have expressed skepticism that it will reveal anything new, but I am expecting some solid details.  Clearly, the inclusion of the special vinyl single is an indication that this Mojo special was prepared with close cooperation from Capitol Records.  Moreover, you don't put out a cover story about Smile proclaiming "It's here! At last!" and then spend 20 pages NOT giving the reader at least some idea of what the "it" that's here is.

Article isn't about the box, it's about Smile. Unless Capitol have a press release dated 6/14/11 or earlier readied, I doubt there'll be much - if any - new info on the project. Hopefully, I'm entirely wrong on this. We shall see. As for it being "the full story"... got my doubts.

As for why no track list announcement... maybe it's still evolving, is my conjecture.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:16:39 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »

Article isn't about the box, it's about Smile.

But the box is what's "here. At last."   Not yet, of course, but that's what they're talking about.  And this issue may still be on the news racks in a few months when the box is out (hopefully).

As you say, though, we shall see.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:33:41 PM »

I just want some concrete information.

I've been on holiday for a week with no internet access, which I believe is conducive to a happy holiday.

I thought there might be some news when I got back, and was disappointed to find more speculation and the same old animosities.

With regards to this post though......

SMiLE has through the years inspired me and disappointed me in  equal measures.

I would expect no less from the boxset.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »

Article isn't about the box, it's about Smile.

But the box is what's "here. At last."   Not yet, of course, but that's what they're talking about.  And this issue may still be on the news racks in a few months when the box is out (hopefully).

As you say, though, we shall see.

English construction and grammar not your strong suit, is it ?  Grin

"The Beach Boys Smile It's Here ! At Last ! The full story"

Which means, at last, the full story is here. Which of course, it won't be. If they had any inside scoop on the box, that would have been flashed very prominently. The copy for this would have had to have been turned in at least two months ago, and of course commissioned before then... which takes us back quite neatly to early/mid-March. Anyone here recall what happened early/mid-March ?  Roll Eyes

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »

. Anyone here recall what happened early/mid-March ?  Roll Eyes

Let's see....without looking back at anything, and right off the top of my head; Fishmonk said something that pissed everyone off, Bill Tobleman was waxing zen prophetic, AGD was telling everyone they were wrong and he was right, and that girl that claimed to be Dennis' daughter was being stalked by a lesbian with an unhealthy attraction to her.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 03:12:24 PM »

Since you asked, I'd say that reading comprehension actually is my strong suit.  My verbal GRE score was 750 (>99% percent of graduate school applicants in the U.S.).

We haven't been pining for decades for the release of "the full story."  The "it" that's here at last is The Beach Boys' Smile.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

Since you asked, I'd say that reading comprehension actually is my strong suit.  My verbal GRE score was 750 (>99% percent of graduate school applicants in the U.S.).

We haven't been pining for decades for the release of "the full story."  The "it" that's here at last is The Beach Boys' Smile.

AGD's (we call him Slim over here, or Mr 50%) interpretation of the cover lines is correct in my opinion.  I spent 13 years writing cover lines for another mag… no qualifier but I get an insight into their thinking…  Grin

As for what's the set, I think we can safely guess that four tarcks on the 78rpm 10" set will be on, along with the two on the Mojo special 45rpm.  Full stop. The rest is anyone's guess.  Only Steve Hoffman knows the answer.

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 04:39:49 PM »

I was going to guess that the main interview would be with Steve Hoffman. Mid-March was exactly the time frame that he saved The Smile Sessions from being scrapped due to us fans talking about it too much.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »

Sorry, I'm all SMiLE track-listed out.  Tired of speculating. Tired of reading all the various track lists submitted on message boards over many years.  Tired of home-brew fan mixes and bootlegs.  After all that, I'm patient and able to wait for the formal release.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »

There is not one track list...obviously there is a track list for the double cd package, another for the bigger package, and a third for the lps. Maybe that is one reason things are not being announced. It is a challenge to work through all that stuff and perosnally I think the original July 12 date was way too optimistic.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »

There is not one track list...obviously there is a track list for the double cd package, another for the bigger package, and a third for the lps. Maybe that is one reason things are not being announced. It is a challenge to work through all that stuff and perosnally I think the original July 12 date was way too optimistic.

And thus the mystery of SMiLE continues...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »

. Anyone here recall what happened early/mid-March ?  Roll Eyes

Let's see....without looking back at anything, and right off the top of my head; Fishmonk said something that pissed everyone off, Bill Tobleman was waxing zen prophetic, AGD was telling everyone they were wrong and he was right, and that girl that claimed to be Dennis' daughter was being stalked by a lesbian with an unhealthy attraction to her.

Wow you have total memory recall.  Grin
Whatever happend to Denny's child anyway?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »

Currently know configurations:

2CD set:
1 - "best-we-can-do" album
2 - sessions

4/moreCDs/2LP/2single box:
CDs - expanded sessions, all titles 'hopefully' covered, CD 1 probably as per the 2CD set. Maybe.

LPs - sides 1-3 as per CD 1 of 2CD set, side 4... anyone's guess.

45s - probably not the RSD 78s, otherwise no idea.

download - probably box contents, hopefully no bonuses.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 12:55:23 AM »

Sorry, I'm all SMiLE track-listed out.  Tired of speculating. Tired of reading all the various track lists submitted on message boards over many years.  Tired of home-brew fan mixes and bootlegs.  After all that, I'm patient and able to wait for the formal release.

The wisest and most sensible comment I've yet read on this whole farrago. It's going to happen, in a few months (sorry Phil, but it is - Capitol don't care about you) so until then, keep an eye on the radar and otherwise proceed as usual.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:56:44 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 03:04:48 AM »

It's a pity that if one wants the 4 CDs you also have to have the LPs. I don't want the LPs because I don't have a record player, and they are likely to be just vinyl versions of the 2 CD set anyway.

They should do 2 CD, a 4 CD and a separate vinyl version of the 2 CD. That way we can express as much or as little interest in the project as we like, without having to shell out for stuff we don't want.  Smiley

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 03:29:28 AM »

Better to have it all in one place, really - I personally can play them all, bu what about shelling out astronomical amounts for all the stuff we DO want in multiple instances? The big box will be best value for money, f'sure.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 03:41:58 AM »

It's a pity that if one wants the 4 CDs you also have to have the LPs. I don't want the LPs because I don't have a record player, and they are likely to be just vinyl versions of the 2 CD set anyway.

They should do 2 CD, a 4 CD and a separate vinyl version of the 2 CD. That way we can express as much or as little interest in the project as we like, without having to shell out for stuff we don't want.  Smiley

Know where you're coming from but I daren't even breathe when it comes to format -  I'm afraid the slightest ripple in the space/time contiuum might scupper the release.  Let's just see it out there, then complain about the format!

Suspect that within a couple of years there'll be a standard 4CD version available without exotic packaging. POB, BWPS have each had less luxurious releases since their initial outing. And look at Miles Davis's Bitches Brew – since the 4CD "complete sessions" it's been repedalled in a variety of formats.  I think this catalogue release will be around for a while.

“We live in divisive times.”
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »

It's a pity that if one wants the 4 CDs you also have to have the LPs. I don't want the LPs because I don't have a record player,
Dear sir,
 Buy a record player. Do you enjoy listening to music with amazing fidelity and wonderful dynamic range? Buy a record player. If only for the aesthetics of holding a big slab-o-vinyl with large artwork to peruse you should have one. They don't cost much and the format has been around for, like, a hundred years unlike whatever crummy format you must have, and seems unlikely to go away anytime soon. Seriously, get one.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »

I think it's worth noting that it was the original Billboard announcement that described the release configurations, and NOT the official press release from a few days later. The press release only promises "multiple physical and digital configurations" and "2CD and digital album packages and a deluxe, limited edition box set." I think they left themselves some wiggle room to tweak the configurations, and we'll get the exact specifics when they issue a new press release with the release date and the track list. It's also intriguing (though proof of nothing) that the press release never says FOUR CDs -- that was also in the Billboard article. However, in the accompanying interview Mark Linett said it would take "at least" three CDs to cover the sessions. So...

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx