gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 05:27:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to destroy a classic.  (Read 7451 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpe2PdLdn5Y

Roll Eyes

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »

Pt 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myN2mxuHddA

This is even worse.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d46sWCdmees
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:20:47 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f29jcB1bZLI

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »

Can't quite believe what I've just seen !!!
Jason
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »

I'm about to take probably the most controversial position ever to have been taken on this board with regards to Stamos; unlike the other Johnny-and-Janey-come-latelies who have guested on lead vocals on a Beach Boys tune (think the 25 Years Together special), John does at least show a measure of respect for the material. Granted, the whole power ballad production doesn't seem to fit the tune, but all of Summer In Paradise had that punchy, loud guitar sound. I'd argue that his heart was in the right place, but the execution came off horribly.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »

I'm about to take probably the most controversial position ever to have been taken on this board with regards to Stamos; unlike the other Johnny-and-Janey-come-latelies who have guested on lead vocals on a Beach Boys tune (think the 25 Years Together special), John does at least show a measure of respect for the material. Granted, the whole power ballad production doesn't seem to fit the tune, but all of Summer In Paradise had that punchy, loud guitar sound. I'd argue that his heart was in the right place, but the execution came off horribly.

The reason I despise Stamos has nothing to do with his wanting to be Dennis Wilson so much it hurts (although I'll grant, it doesn't do him any favours: Dennis has been dead for over 27 years and he's still cooler than he'll ever be), and everything to do with An American Family.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:45:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:53:01 AM »

That is hands down one of the worst things I have ever heard.

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD, THE BRIDGE NOOOOO
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:54:49 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jason
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »

The reason I despise Stamos has nothing to do with his wanting to be Dennis Wilson so much it hurts (although I'll grant, it doesn't do him any favours: Dennis has been dead for over 27 years and he's still cooler than he'll ever be), and everything to do with An American Family.

I don't think anyone is going to dispute the American Family issue.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »

Wow. I think we need a vomiting smiley face icon to convey what I think about that. Stick to the drums Moonie!

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »

How much did Stamos have a hand in American Family? I thought he just threw money at it for the producer credit.

Agreed!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »

Dreadful. He sounds like Brian.  Cheesy

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vcqB9okP4k

Start exactly at :58

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »

I've tried to find a crappy cover of Disney Girls but amazingly I don't think one exists. Cass, Garfunkel and The Captian have all done decent versions of it.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:38:43 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BT3dxOeBHM

In my opinion a vast improvement on the original
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:50:19 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »

I've tried to find a crappy cover of Disney Girls but amazingly I don't think one exists. Cass, Garfunkel and The Captian have all done decent versions of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXCF_qgheLo

Depends on taste. Some may remember this is the guy who won the Eurovision for Norway a couple of years back.
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »

Some people might hate me for writing this but Stamos's covering of that song has helped the band's popularity. Particularly the Full House version. That show is still one of the most popular foreign shows in Japan for example, and people have said to me that the reason they are fans of The Beach Boys is due to having heard that song first.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:06 PM »

Depends on taste. Some may remember this is the guy who won the Eurovision for Norway a couple of years back.

Lol that sounds almost  karaoke. Eesh.

No mas, por favor.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

Some people might hate me for writing this but Stamos's covering of that song has helped the band's popularity. Particularly the Full House version. That show is still one of the most popular foreign shows in Japan for example, and people have said to me that the reason they are fans of The Beach Boys is due to having heard that song first.
No one hates you, because what you wrote is common knowledge. Maybe we should start a thread listing all the bad things that people have told us is the reason they first got into the Beach Boys. Summer Dreams. American Family. Kokomo. Stamos. There's your top 4.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 04:27:22 PM »

No one hates you, because what you wrote is common knowledge. Maybe we should start a thread listing all the bad things that people have told us is the reason they first got into the Beach Boys. Summer Dreams. American Family. Kokomo. Stamos. There's your top 4.
Yeah I remember watching one of the Beach Boys Bio's and it got me hooked. That and the Best of comps that my dad had!
Watching these covers has got my day off to a bad start!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »

now that is sh*t

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »

way better than myke and bruth's version.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »

sh*t son, at least Mike & Bruce play the same sections in the same order

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »

I thought kenny did alright. also, stamos is at least trying to keep the average person looking in the BB direction. but the troggs really do blow, as always.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »

They made a half-decent effort with the music...

But, the gawd-awful shirts!  Yikes! LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx