gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:45:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Were the sections of The Elements ever enumerated?  (Read 25377 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2011, 01:48:46 AM »

Then why doesn't MOC contain or evoke all 4 elements? Must not be the fire element then...

The song fire is just about fire, fire doesn't contain earth water or air. These things are pure, they can't be divided up any further. They are simply themselves. They're elements. Today we've replaced this notion with the chemical elements on the periodic table. But the idea is the same. All matter can be broken down into some combination of the four elements. I didn't say that each element must contain elements of the other three. That's actually precisely the opposite of what I said. The fact that MOC doesn't evoke the other four elements is exactly what makes it elemental. I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with the above comment.

Trees are not the same thing as earth. Yes, Earth is a planet, and plants and animals live on it. But earth, the element, is dirt. The element earth does not include just everything within the planet Earth's biosphere. Plants grow out of dirt, but that does not mean they are the element earth. Plants and animals, by mass, are mostly water after all. Why would slowly creeping fauna (i.e. animals that are >50% water) represent the earth element in particular? In the scheme of the classical elements plants and animals contain different proportions of all four elements. A jungle just isn't any more aligned to the element earth than it is to the other three elements. Wood contains fire, plants need water to grow, and all the animals of the jungle breath air. I just don't feel like the connection is there. If the song is about plants and animals, why does that mean it has to be about earth? Why couldn't the song just as easily be about water, air, or fire?

So okay, jungles are not any more earth than they are fire wind or water, right? But you say, maybe Brian was using these things to represent earth. But why? Earth represent itself. Earth is earth. Earth embodies lethargy, mass, weight, gravity, practicality etc etc. Any song about earth would likely want to represent those qualities. In astrology, an earth person is supposed to be more conventional, safe, sturdy, and practical. A massive jungle full of wild animals would never be called any of those things. So why would Brian use those things to represent earth? They don't embody any of the traits earth is supposed to possess.

It seems to me, and this of course isn't meant as an insult or anything, that you're making too strong a connection between the element earth and just nature. You're thinking about earth more in a "Mother Earth" type way, but that's not the same thing as the element earth.

Personally I just don't see a good reason to believe that Fall Breaks is Earth. So the song evokes plants and animals for you. That doesn't make the song about earth, the element. The fact that the song is called "Fall Breaks and Back to Winter" tells you what the song is about, it's about winter. When I listen to the song I don't hear anything about jungles, I hear howling winter winds. Whether or not the song evokes that for you, you can't deny that the title does indicate going "back to winter". I'd say that Brian simply took his one riff that he liked, the MOC riff, that, yes, was also connected to other songs as well, and simply re-purposed it yet again into a totally new song that was conceptually completely unrelated to either "The Elements" or SMiLE.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:52:31 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2011, 04:04:07 AM »

Um.........
Right..

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2011, 05:42:39 AM »

Um.........
Right..

So, you cracked first.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2011, 07:53:58 AM »

Brian was asked by Byron Preiss's researchers about the Elements...

Sadly, he wasn't - all those boxed quotes are taken from various magazines down the years. Which would have been cool, if they'd been given a source... but they weren't and the few mystery quotes remain just that.

In the case of the infamous "Air" quote, Brian was asked *something* related to that while the band was at MIU as Bicyclerider mentioned, and the "piano piece" quote was Brian's answer: This one at least can be pegged to an actual event rather than an unnamed source or random article. I know this because that researcher (we'll call him JD...) was a visitor on an earlier BB's board and answered the question directly. If he is still around, I hope he chimes in on this: The only contact I had was posting a question to him on a board and reading the reply. If someone knows him personally maybe they could ask him directly too and clear it all up.

That single quote has carried a lot of weight in the past 30+ years! I guess because folks like Vosse and Anderle have said they didn't know what Air would have been, in quotes only a year or so removed from the actual Smile project.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2011, 08:12:12 AM »

Hang on, 18th of May, Fishmonk *does* have a point there that it's not fair to simply dismiss out of hand. Even if a given song from the SMiLE sessions has some connection to a later track on Smiley Smile (and as we all know, several of them do, either lyrically or musically), it's not necessarily fair to assume that the Smiley number has the SAME underlying concept (musically OR lyrically) as its SMiLE ancestor.

OK, so Wind Chimes, H&V, Wonderful and Vegetables on Smiley Smile have *direct* antecedents in the SMiLE sessions (and I guess Good Vibrations, kinda - it's just the same song). And there are many musically related SMiLE/Smiley Smile parts. But the later tracks are often completely different lyrically, musically, or in thematic terms. Obvious examples first: even amongst the tracks with the same names, Wind Chimes is a ton creepier, more discordant and 'darker' on Smiley Smile. Wonderful and parts of Heroes & Villains too (in my opinion).

And amongst the less closely related tracks... well, as I sort of said on another thread recently, "Keeni Wak A Pula" doesn't mean 'Remember The Day, Remember the Night', and worms have nothing obvious to do with whistling (or, more specifically, 'Whistle In'), despite the strong musical connection between the two. The ancient concept of four underlying, indivisible Elements and a famous fire-raising cow don't have anything to do with the end of Autumn and the beginning of Winter (or Woody Woodpecker, come to that). And if you put the circular piano riff from the end of 'Child Is Father Of The Man' (well, the ending of that track as it was on Brian's 2004 version of SMiLE, anyway - that bit with the muted trumpet, anyway...) from a minor key into a major one, you get the intro riff for 'Getting Hungry'... but the theme of 'Getting Hungry' is not a happier version of 'Child Is Father Of The Man'. In fact, it seems to be about a man, uh, well, consumed with desire, frankly.

There are those here that have said that 'Little Pad' is a simplified 'Cabin Essence', reduced in scope and ambition both musically and thematically. I can't say I see it myself — I see a very little bit of a musical connection (the quarter-note feel in the opening verses of 'CE' is also there in 'LP', for example, but that's hardly a huge connection that uniquely binds these two songs). And there's a whole load of OTHER stuff in Little Pad that ISN'T in Cabin Essence (a Hawaiian theme; beautiful humming vocals; an organ-driven semi-chorus; and a stoned-sounding intro), and vice versa (*dramatic* dynamic contrasts between the verses and chorus; chromatic bass runs; 'orientalised' instrumentation with non-Western scales; and complex, elegant 'Parksian' lyrics encompassing concepts as diverse as the feeling of a dwelling on a frontier settlement, the all-consuming effect of the coming of the railroad on the same, and 'the oriental mind going off on a different track'. To say nothing of the dear old crow and his cornfield which were so beloved of Mr Love, and the thresher and his wheatfield!). Surely it's more accurate to say that there are more differences than similarities between these two tracks?

Put simply: if something planned for SMiLE resembles something on Smiley Smile, doesn't mean it *necessarily* ended up as the same kind of artistic statement there. And that surely holds true for SMiLE-era fragments that were recycled *later* than Smiley Smile, too. So just because the bass line from a SMiLE-era version of Wind Chimes ended up in 'Can't Wait Too Long', doesn't mean the latter was about some wind chimes. And, perhaps more controversially, I would contend that just because I Love To Say Dada musically resembles Cool Cool Water on Sunflower, and because that 1970 track also incorporates the SMiLE-era 'Water Chant', it still doesn't *necessarily* follow that 'I Love To Say Dada' was going to be the 'Water' section of The Elements on SMiLE in 1966-7.

I mean that the relationship in the later tracks doesn't guarantee that the relationship was definitely there in the earlier tracks at the time they were originally recorded.

MattB
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »

apologies in advance, you've probably answered this elsewhere, but which fragment do you feel best represents earth? swedish frog? was it a pythagorean trip and the earth element was to represent the sphere in its placement in the frequency spectrum of the heavens?

according to fludd's universal music terra is Γ, or low G. is swedish frog grunting in a low G? maybe you would need to speed it up to determine. what other chants did he compose in G?

i like this as a model for the proper smile element suite: http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta19.htm

earth, water, air, fire...or maybe the other way around

sorry im still pretty new to smile. the elements are really fascinating! i appreciate all the knowledge you guys provide.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

I can't see any specific fragment representing "earth", however something around the "vegetables" concept would be my best guess. Look to the chants: water is pretty obvious, air is pretty easy to spot if "air" represents breathing rather than wind, and that leaves earth, which would be the vegetables theme.

The confusing thing is how Brian's interests were literally scattered all over the place at this time, as someone has mentioned. So he could have been referencing astrology, numerology, alchemy, Subud, or simply eating healthy vegetables at one point or another. It's very hard to pinpoint, which makes it fun.

"Swedish Frog"? Goofing around in the studio is my guess for that fragment's origin rather than something that could be attached to another theme. But again, it's all in what you hear.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2011, 08:23:36 AM »

Brian was asked by Byron Preiss's researchers about the Elements...

Sadly, he wasn't - all those boxed quotes are taken from various magazines down the years. Which would have been cool, if they'd been given a source... but they weren't and the few mystery quotes remain just that.

In the case of the infamous "Air" quote, Brian was asked *something* related to that while the band was at MIU as Bicyclerider mentioned, and the "piano piece" quote was Brian's answer: This one at least can be pegged to an actual event rather than an unnamed source or random article. I know this because that researcher (we'll call him JD...) was a visitor on an earlier BB's board and answered the question directly. If he is still around, I hope he chimes in on this: The only contact I had was posting a question to him on a board and reading the reply. If someone knows him personally maybe they could ask him directly too and clear it all up.

That single quote has carried a lot of weight in the past 30+ years! I guess because folks like Vosse and Anderle have said they didn't know what Air would have been, in quotes only a year or so removed from the actual Smile project.

That would be seriously helpful. That said, my faith in the accuracy of 1977 BDW answering a question about something that happened 11 years previously is very low.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »

To be honest, I put "Air as a piano piece" in the same category as Barnyard Billy and strings on Surf's Up Pt. 2
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2011, 09:07:45 AM »

The accuracy and dependability of a single quote from Brian can be debated all day long, but it remains a direct quote from Brian himself. The only hard audio evidence to possibly connect something to an air theme other than Wind Chimes is the breathing clip, and that was far from a musical statement, more like a studio experiment.

Barnyard Billy loves his chickens...that was kind of funny for Brian to throw all the Smile folks a bone like that. It would be better if an outtake surfaced on this box with that very vocal line somewhere on Barnyard! Cheesy

AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »

apologies in advance, you've probably answered this elsewhere, but which fragment do you feel best represents earth? swedish frog? was it a pythagorean trip and the earth element was to represent the sphere in its placement in the frequency spectrum of the heavens?

according to fludd's universal music terra is Γ, or low G. is swedish frog grunting in a low G? maybe you would need to speed it up to determine. what other chants did he compose in G?

i like this as a model for the proper smile element suite: http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta19.htm

earth, water, air, fire...or maybe the other way around

sorry im still pretty new to smile. the elements are really fascinating! i appreciate all the knowledge you guys provide.

Hurrah!!! I've been dying for someone to get into this side of SMiLE, i'm a bit weak on this but really really interested in it!!

Anymore info on this and SMiLE?? please say yes!!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2011, 11:13:02 AM »

The accuracy and dependability of a single quote from Brian can be debated all day long, but it remains a direct quote from Brian himself.

I suppose if we had never heard the Fire element and he described it as a string and timpani piece, we would be as equally incredulous. In my mind when he says a piano piece, I just imagine some tinkering on a piano, which of course couldn't possibly represent Air. I still find it somewhat improbably, but who knows?
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »

Um.........
Right..

Dude, you couldn't even make ONE post that wasn't like this. All your stuff about being respectful is smoke, you're just a troll and that should be clear to everyone now.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »

Well firstly I think an order of the elements would go, Fire, Earth, Air, Water. The fact that Brian started with Fire says something. Even when he might not have had an idea of what the other three elements would be, he was still pretty clear on Fire being first. Why? Well in astrology the first sign is Aries, a fire sign. Then Taurus, Gemini, and Cancer, Earth, Air, and Water. That pattern then repeats another two times. Might Brian have been following this order? That would make Earth second.

Let's talk about I Wanna Be Around as earth. Now we know Carol Kaye said that this represented earth and was to follow Fire. How true is this? This comment is mostly dismissed, did it turn out Carol wasn't actually at that session? Or did other people there contradict her?

In the early 60s a number of artists recorded I Wanna Be Around, it's a popular song, established, safe, practical. A standard. A popular cover. That sounds like earth doesn't it? In a way, this would be very clever I think. Earth is sturdy, what's sturdier than a cover? Even the lyrics "I wanna be around to pick up the pieces, When somebody breaks your heart" have an air of dependability and reliability, like "you can count on me".

Lots of people say that the elements were separate from the rest of SMiLE, and didn't really thematically fit in. But Fire clearly snaps into the Americana theme. Do you think a completed Elements would have looked like this?

The Elements
-Mrs. O'leary's Fire (Fire)
-Earth
-Air
-Water

Which of those things is not like the others? If you're going to do a suite of four songs representing four members of a group, why have one of them stand out like that? Could it be possible that all four elements were to be based in americana? If Earth was a cover, then that's a continuation of that theme. Could we have the same thing for air and water?

Air is about intellectualism. Air is more about rationality and thought. Water is the element of the subconscious, it's tied with emotion, creativity and sentimentality. I think the two songs representing air and water would represent those traits. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:08:23 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »

In the early 60s a number of artists recorded I Wanna Be Around, it's a popular song, established, safe, practical. A standard. A popular cover. That sounds like earth doesn't it?

No, not in the same way that Fire sounds like Fire. When I hear Mrs. O'Leary's Cow, I don't need to be told that it's part of an Elements suite, or any contextual information. Nor do I need to know a single solitary thing about astrology, Ancient Greece, Buddhism, etc. The track simply evokes the sounds of Fire to any casual audience in the Western world. The same can be said for the Water Chant, whether it was meant to be part of the Elements or not. I think why so many people are compelled to believe that the Water Chant was Water is because it plays the same aural trick that MOC does.

In a way, this would be very clever I think. Earth is sturdy, what's sturdier than a cover? Even the lyrics "I wanna be around to pick up the pieces, When somebody breaks your heart" have an air of dependability and reliability, like "you can count on me".

Well, you're specifically thinking about one of the particularly astrological understandings of Earth. In the meantime, you are omitting not only the other astrological meanings, but also all the other cultural assumptions regarding the Earth element. There's nothing about MOC that leads me to believe that Brian was inserting astrological characteristics into the sound of the Elements. Sure you could say that Fire sounds "rebellious" and "angry". But you can also say it sounds like Fire, which would naturally sound angry. Don't forget too that Wilson later said that you could make a track called Fire and have it sound like a candle. So, clearly, he was more about sonically capturing the word, not capturing other words that are associated with that word. Word?

I also don't really think that it's clever because it just requires too much work on the part of the listener in order for it to make sense. Part of Wilson's genius, after all, was making something very complex appear to be not complex at all.

Lots of people say that the elements were separate from the rest of SMiLE, and didn't really thematically fit in.

Well, if the theme of Smile is experimental music that had not really been heard much in pop music, then it absolutely fits in.

But Fire clearly snaps into the Americana theme.

In title only, unlike H&V, DYLW, Wonderful, and Cabin Essence. Am I missing anything?

Do you think a completed Elements would have looked like this?

The Elements
-Mrs. O'leary's Fire (Fire)
-Earth
-Air
-Water

No, I think the elements would have looked like a track called "The Elements", just as it appeared on the note to Capitol. In fact, we know that that is indeed how it would have looked on the album jacket.

Anyway, I'm not too sure on this, but wasn't MOC simply referred to as "Fire" during the Smile sessions?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:04:13 PM by rockandroll » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »

You think if there was a wind track it would sound like eden ahbez's song "Tradewind" from his 1960 LP. An instrumental song with wind sound effects. Could that track have been the impetus of the whole enterprise?

Random observation:

I have been listening to The Versatile Henry Mancini this afternoon and, not only does it have a tremendous Pet Sounds feel (I've read this album did influence Pet Sounds), but I noticed the song 'The Breeze and I' opens with what sounds like wind-chimes (to signify wind). Granted, this doesn't have to do with the supposed piano track dubbed 'Air' - but perhaps Brian carried over his influence of Mancini from Pet Sounds to SMiLE for the song 'Windchimes'.

I know there was the photo of Brian with Ahbez taken during the SMiLE sessions, but has Brian ever talked about Ahbez influencing his music? Or is the answer in the elusive 'Dumb Angel Gazette #4'?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »

Let's talk about I Wanna Be Around as earth. Now we know Carol Kaye said that this represented earth and was to follow Fire. How true is this? This comment is mostly dismissed, did it turn out Carol wasn't actually at that session? Or did other people there contradict her?

Actually, we don't know that at all, because it isn't true: what CK said was that Brian told her it represented the rebuilding after the fire (the 'woodshop' part) - nothing about Earth - and yes, she was on the 11/29/66 session, playing guitar. No-one else has ever said anything like that... but irrespective, she never said it was Earth.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »

Anyway, I'm not too sure on this, but wasn't MOC simply referred to as "Fire" during the Smile sessions?

The AFM sheet says "The Elements (Fire)", and in the Siegel article, Brian calls it "Mrs. O'Leary's Fire" - the 'cow' bit seems to be a reasonably recent addition.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:51:21 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »

Lots of good points rockandroll.
The title MOF comes from the Goodbye Surfing article, Brian told Jules Siegel that it would be called that.

I think capitol really jumped the gun printing the sleeves. If Brian had finished SMiLE in 1967 the tracklisting on the back may well have been totally incorrect. Capitol may have printed all new sleeves, and if not I think all future printings would have a revised tracklisting printed on the back to you know, match the actual content of the album.

So maybe on the second printing we'd have:

The Elements:
Mrs. O'leary's Fire
Earth
Air
Water

You say that Fire was americana "in title only", well isn't title important? The title pretty clearly places the song in the americana context. Why Brian would introduce this naming convention for only the first part and then simply leave the other three with boring titles like that seems kind of odd.

I think the only reason that we all universally agree the song evokes fire is that the title leaves no question that it is fire. If it wasn't for the title, we'd probably have some people saying that it evoked something different. Maybe most of us would hear fire, but if it wasn't for the title I don't think we'd ever know concretely, I'm sure some fans would argue all types of things about the song.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »

Actually, we don't know that at all, because it isn't true: what CK said was that Brian told her it represented the rebuilding after the fire (the 'woodshop' part) - nothing about Earth - and yes, she was on the 11/29/66 session, playing guitar. No-one else has ever said anything like that... but irrespective, she never said it was Earth.

Thanks for the clarification. I really didn't know which is why I asked.
If there is any truth to the order Fire-Earth-Air-Water, if Brian picked up on that ordering as it exists in astrology, then part 2 of The Elements would likely be earth, and if IWBA/Friday Night/Woodshop/Workshop would follow Fire, then, well you get the picture.

I really think the whole thing is questionable. Would The Elements have even included all four elements? Would it have included just four sections only? Would it even have been all a single continuous medley? We have evidence pointing in different directions, but it's all very fuzzy, I think we can say very little about the track.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »

I think capitol really jumped the gun printing the sleeves. If Brian had finished SMiLE in 1967 the tracklisting on the back may well have been totally incorrect.

Quite likely, but Capitol didn't jump the gun: based on what Brian had told them, i.e. that he would "in all probability" deliver the Smile master by 1/15/67 (internal memo from Karl Engemann dated 12/16/66), they needed something to put on the back of the cover. Remember, previously Brian had always delivered on time. I know some folk here don't care for my fact based nuts and bolts approach to Smile, but there are some things you can't just wish away or ignore. Capitol were doing what they did because they trusted Brian to fulfil his side of the deal.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. I really didn't know which is why I asked.
If there is any truth to the order Fire-Earth-Air-Water, if Brian picked up on that ordering as it exists in astrology, then part 2 of The Elements would likely be earth, and if IWBA/Friday Night/Woodshop/Workshop would follow Fire, then, well you get the picture.

I really think the whole thing is questionable. Would The Elements have even included all four elements? Would it have included just four sections only? Would it even have been all a single continuous medley? We have evidence pointing in different directions, but it's all very fuzzy, I think we can say very little about the track.

I think the elements/astrology notion has merit - Brian was into astrology in a big way then and it ties in nicely with the back sleeve.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »

The AFM sheet says "The Elements (Fire)", and in the Siegel article, Brian calls it "Mrs. O'Leary's Fire" - the 'cow' bit seems to be a reasonably recent addition.

Only in the context of Smile would as early as 1972 be considered "recent."  LOL
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »

Lots of good points rockandroll.
The title MOF comes from the Goodbye Surfing article, Brian told Jules Siegel that it would be called that.

I think capitol really jumped the gun printing the sleeves.

Well, like AGD suggests above, they had to print up something assuming that the album would be finished.

If Brian had finished SMiLE in 1967 the tracklisting on the back may well have been totally incorrect.

I think that the order would have been different on the album itself, certainly. Nevertheless, the track listing is a pretty good indication of where Brian's head was at for Smile in December '66, which was pretty much when his vision for the album reached its climax. After December 15th, the album was largely abandoned.

Capitol may have printed all new sleeves, and if not I think all future printings would have a revised tracklisting printed on the back to you know, match the actual content of the album.

I don't think they would have wasted the money of making new sleeves. Wasn't there a note about "see the vinyl for correct playing order" or something to that effect? I think they accepted the list knowing that the actual track list on the album wouldn't correlate.

So maybe on the second printing we'd have:

The Elements:
Mrs. O'leary's Fire
Earth
Air
Water

Maybe. But "Fire" was understood to be simply part of "The Elements" both in its recording and in its listing to Capitol. So my hunch is that "Mrs. O'Leary's Fire" wasn't official at the time despite Brian calling it that in an interview or it may have been the title before Brian conceived of The Elements as a track.

You say that Fire was americana "in title only", well isn't title important?

Well, ultimately, "Fire" is simply part of a track that has the title The Elements, which I think is important.

Yes, titles are important but I'm simply saying that it doesn't quite fit in with the other tracks in the same way you are suggesting.

The title pretty clearly places the song in the americana context. Why Brian would introduce this naming convention for only the first part and then simply leave the other three with boring titles like that seems kind of odd.

No one is suggesting that, though. Some people argue that, say, Air is Wind Chimes. Others will argue that Air is something we don't know. I, meanwhile, am suggesting that there was really just one title.

I think the only reason that we all universally agree the song evokes fire is that the title leaves no question that it is fire. If it wasn't for the title, we'd probably have some people saying that it evoked something different. Maybe most of us would hear fire, but if it wasn't for the title I don't think we'd ever know concretely, I'm sure some fans would argue all types of things about the song.

Maybe, but that's not really to my point. I am comparing Fire to your assertion that "I Wanna Be Around" could be Earth. For MOC, I could see someone saying, "Hey that totally sounds like a fire" and someone else saying, "No, it sounds like a fire engine, not a fire." That would be very likely. But I can't imagine sitting in a room, listening to "I Wanna Be Around" on its own (completely divorced from any known context of The Elements) and someone saying, "This totally sounds like Earth." I can only assume that the follow up would be: "What do you mean?" "Well, it's a cover." "Yeah?" "Well, you know a cover is something durable." "It is?" "Well, sure. It's something you can depend on." "It is?" "In that it's safe. You know, it's been recorded a bunch of times so people know it. It's part of a tradition." "Oh, I see. Wait a minute - why is that like Earth?" "Well, stability is a characteristic of the Earth sign in astrology." "I thought it was sensuality." "Well, that's one of them. But stability is one too." "Oh." "So, it sounds like Earth, doesn't it?" "I guess. If by Earth you really mean stability and therefore every cover of a traditional song sounds like Earth. Then, yes, it sounds like Earth." "Boo ya!"

I am not trying to be silly here. I'm just saying the differences between the two examples are too astronomically different. But it also shows the kind of difficulty that Brian certainly would have had in creating a piece where someone could say: "That sounds like Earth" and someone else would say: "I was just about to say that too!" After all, what the hell does Earth sound like? I couldn't tell ya, but something tells me the same man who wrote Mrs. O'Leary's Fire and the Water Chant could in November 1966.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:17:22 PM by rockandroll » Logged
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »

i wanna be a round like a dough nut slamma jamma canon balla outta space man

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: