gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:21:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New date for Smile sessions.  (Read 23484 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2011, 12:22:28 AM »

I think the albatross is really a blessing in disguise. Can anyone look back in their past and not want to change something? It's understandable that a person wouldn't want to revisit painful memories, but it seems to me the lessons have been learned. The outcome is positive. The difficulty comes from being under a microscope, so I want to add to your remarks for the naysayers out there... Judge not lest ye be judged and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I remember something George Harrison said in an interview when he decided to do the Bangladesh concert about using the John Lennon school of thought of going all out. Let's make it big. I can't help but think the best thing to do is take ownership. Just own it and tell people "yeah I did some stuff or stuff happened, but that's in the past... now take me off the top ten crazy guy list and check this stuff out!" You either get it or you don't... sometimes it takes people time to hear something they are not ready to hear. I think there are more people in the world who understand what Brian offers that don't speak up... who has the loudest voice? As a performer, I learned if you touch just one person in the audience, you have succeeded. The rest will just have to wait and maybe one day they will hear it, too. I did read that Van Dyke wished the celebrity of the piece hadn't become so big, but I see it as part of the beauty and the humanity of the whole thing. I still remember the conversations taking place 20 years back. I wasn't into it at the time but I still remember my friends talking about SMiLE... it is a part of people's lives and will more than likely remain. It doesn't matter what people think it should or shouldn't sound like, as long as it doesn't sound like a bad mp3..yikes. I think Brian has really only said one thing about this release... that people will get to hear the music with the "angelic voices" of the Beach Boys... and he is right and that is where I am keeping my expectations. It is a positive thing. Loved reading your interview, btw.. great stuff...

That is an awesome post.
jc22
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »

This is still not on the EMI schedule in the UK. Does anyone know any more about the UK release of this?

And also, do EMI have any money to release this anyway?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »

This is still not on the EMI schedule in the UK. Does anyone know any more about the UK release of this?

And also, do EMI have any money to release this anyway?

No they don't. That's why the big box will sell at GBP 1,000.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 01:37:09 AM »

And also, do{es} EMI have any money to release this anyway?

Assuming they're paying Mark and Alan to sift through the vaults and remaster the material for release, and assuming their press officers don't work for nothing, and assuming the flyer inserted into the Good Vibes 10" 78prm Record Store day wasn't a hoax, one might assume that EMI assumes it has the money to release this anyway.

That or they've decided to perpetuate the SMiLE myth by bringing it this close to release and then scuttling it for another 46 years.

(This is my attempt at an AGD-style "logic" answer - marks out of ten folks? Grin)

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2011, 02:01:00 AM »

Assuming they're paying Mark and Alan to sift through the vaults and remaster the material for release, and assuming their press officers don't work for nothing, and assuming the flyer inserted into the Good Vibes 10" 78prm Record Store day wasn't a hoax, one might assume that EMI assumes it has the money to release this anyway.

That or they've decided to perpetuate the SMiLE myth by bringing it this close to release and then scuttling it for another 46 years.

(This is my attempt at an AGD-style "logic" answer - marks out of ten folks? Grin)

Cheesy  8 out of ten, easily so.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2011, 02:12:29 AM »

6/10 - needs more waffle and a touch of righteous indignation.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2011, 02:24:40 AM »

Not to mention a complete lack of sarcasm to another poster or even a hint of inside knowledge without revealing a source! Grin

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:26:58 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2011, 02:45:47 AM »

Not to mention a complete lack of sarcasm to another poster or even a hint of inside knowledge without revealing a source! Grin

Yeah, that too.  Smiley

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2011, 02:49:14 AM »

police sure, but no other member would get away with that ban-free like AGD always does... this guy can speed drive, park wrongly, and cross lines like Denny once did, without being, um, repercussed...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2011, 02:56:35 AM »

That's 'cause I'm such a great guy. Must be true, my mom told me I am.  Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2011, 02:58:39 AM »

LOL ...surely!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2011, 02:59:42 AM »

LOL ...surely!

Just between you and me... I have the negatives.  Wink

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2011, 04:17:24 AM »

LOL ...surely!

Just between you and me... I have the negatives.  Wink

No you don't - I do  Grin

Cheers

Richard
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2011, 03:35:15 PM »

Loved reading your interview, btw.. great stuff...

What interview? Is there a link I missed that you could offer us?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »

I believe this is the interview OBLiO was referring to:
http://vandykeparks.com/miscfiles/opensky.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 02:16:28 PM by WaxOn » Logged
OBLiO
Smiley Smile Associate

Do The Hokey Pokey with all your might

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »

Yes, that's it. Tons of insight and put quite a bit into perspective for me. Doesn't mean we can't expand on it, but the crux is there.

"Remember - only you can prevent forest fires" - Smokey the Bear
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »

Yes, that's it. Tons of insight and put quite a bit into perspective for me. Doesn't mean we can't expand on it, but the crux is there.

I haven't read that interview in a few years now, but it's certainly one of the best out there on Smile.  It's not possible to thank Mr. Reum enough for everything he has done for Brian over the years.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »

Thank you for your post! It is weird how one`s life changes from being an outsider observing to a partcipant to a part of the story. I have begun writing again recently for David at ESQ, and it is a wonderful departure from my regular job, which can be very intense. David Beard has kindly asked me to join the staff at ESQ, which I have accepted,and I am working on a piece now covering the post BB in Concert through 15 Big Ones era. I`ll be contributing an article to the Smile Sessions issue in the fall as well. I am reworking a 1992 article on the BW work outside the Beach Boys as well. Who knows what the future brings?

If it runs amuck, call the duck
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

Wow, looking forward to reading your articles, Peter!
PhilCohen
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »

Thank you for your post! It is weird how one`s life changes from being an outsider observing to a partcipant to a part of the story. I have begun writing again recently for David at ESQ, and it is a wonderful departure from my regular job, which can be very intense. David Beard has kindly asked me to join the staff at ESQ, which I have accepted,and I am working on a piece now covering the post BB in Concert through 15 Big Ones era. I`ll be contributing an article to the Smile Sessions issue in the fall as well. I am reworking a 1992 article on the BW work outside the Beach Boys as well. Who knows what the future brings?

Is this dropping a hint that there WILL be a "Smile Sessions" box this fall? Generally, the online discussion of the project(both here and on the forum at Brian's website) has quieted down to a very occasional post. There isn't much more to discuss.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »

If I read Peter correctly, it seems there will be a Smile Sessions edition of ESQ this fall...the Smile box may yet precede it!

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2011, 04:13:36 PM »

Is this dropping a hint that there WILL be a "Smile Sessions" box this fall? Generally, the online discussion of the project(both here and on the forum at Brian's website) has quieted down to a very occasional post. There isn't much more to discuss.

So I guess you don't believe it's coming out?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »

Believe it or don't. Either way it's NOT a fall breaks thing. SMiLE is a SUMMER release.  Summer begins:   

The astronomical summer as mandated by the International Astronomical Union begins June 21 in the Northern Hemisphere and December 22 in the Southern Hemisphere. These dates are only "official" for the IAU.

The climatological summer as mandated by the World Meteorological Organization begins June 1 in the Northern Hemisphere and December 1 in the Southern Hemisphere. These dates are only "official" for the WMO.

Canada and the USA customarily observe the astronomical summer while Australia and New Zealand follow its climatological counterpart. Preference for the two methods of reckoning vary among other western countries. Many Asian countries use lunar dates to reckon the first day of summer.( but who cares about them backwards folks anyway?)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »

Phil is a perfect pessimist. Not that there's much wrong with that in and of itself, but this box is coming. It just hasn't been finalised yet, but I guess we have Al to blame for the premature announcement.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »

There is no doubt in my mind Smile Sessions is coming out. When will depend upon when the agreement can be reached within The Beach Boys that they all are okay with the package. I don`t see that taking too long once a final proposal is made. So patience is in order...and all the drama on these boards does nothing to make things happen any faster than it is meant to happen. I know the folks working on the project are TOTALLY committed to doing right by Brian and The Beach Boys and presenting something that everyone will be proud of.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 06:13:43 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx