-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317908 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: December 04, 2019, 08:49:09 PM »

Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child "Relic". Went thru myriad book titles with annotations to get to at least 5% interesting subject. "Relic" about museum's new figurine discovered by paleo-expedition group. It's sci-fi - being sci-fi enthusiast, choose it to read. Quit seeking, thanks to it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: December 06, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »

A friend had recommended a book as a "pick me up, " so I'm reading it . It's A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen. Bowen, a street performer in the UK, befriended Bob. And as usually the case, adopted stray cats are the best. Bowen has written later books about Bob.

I had received a FB post about books from the 1920's that are worth a read. One in particular caught my eye - Giants in the Earth, by O. E. Rölvaag. It's translated from Norwegian  (I de dage). I'm a sucker for books about pioneers ( in this case, Norwegians settling in the Dakota territory ). Also like books about people trying to restore old farmsteads. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 03, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »

I joined the Shakespeare2020 group on FB and am presently reading and discussing "Twelfth Night."
 Looked at all the books I haven't read and decided to re-read Lewisohn's long book on the Beatles . It's the first of a supposedly 3 volume set.Who knows when volume 2 will be out. I had been following a hundreds page thread on the Hoffman Board but it got hijacked by a couple of knuckleheads and the thread was locked. Volume 1 covers the band from its beginnings to the end of 1962. I'll probably be long gone by the time the final volume gets out.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 08, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »

A friend had recommended a book as a "pick me up, " so I'm reading it . It's A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen. Bowen, a street performer in the UK, befriended Bob. And as usually the case, adopted stray cats are the best. Bowen has written later books about Bob.
Did mention it b4, ditto film adaptation in Film Thread. Looks like you didn't catch it. Well? New book by good writer - Jerome Klapka Jerome "Diary Of Pilgrimage". To start, travel book = jolly good, interesting. Next, few chapters reading but can tell it's good choice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 09, 2020, 06:25:04 AM »

Nice book, "...Pilgrimage". Would like to read his famous "3 Men In Boat Without Dog" or whichever's the title (I know it's "Three..." but I like adhering to my individual style writing digits as digits. Thus, "3..."). I hear it's humorous & adventurous = good blend.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:58 AM »

I just started Beartown, by Fredrik Backman. It's about a small town obsessed with ice hockey. So far, it's pretty enjoyable. Lots of character development.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 09, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »

Nice book, "...Pilgrimage". Would like to read his famous "3 Men In Boat Without Dog" or whichever's the title (I know it's "Three..." but I like adhering to my individual style writing digits as digits. Thus, "3..."). I hear it's humorous & adventurous = good blend.

That's very funny. I know you prefer cats but the dog (called Montmorency) is crucial to this book (I have it here). It's Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog).

I don't know if you read stuff onscreen but if you do, it's here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/308/308-h/308-h.htm

PS: How about removing that ugly post from the "Welcome Thread"? Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 09, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »

There's a complete works of Jerome Klapka Jerome for my ereader for about 2 dollars and have downloaded it. 6000+ pages!

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 10, 2020, 07:26:52 AM »

The gutenberg link is the Internet mistake. Empty link.
Soviet 1979 film translates "Three Men In Boat (Discounting The Dog)".
6000 pages per 2$ - wow, cool deal.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 10, 2020, 07:44:57 AM »

PS: How about removing that ugly post from the "Welcome Thread"? Grin

Thank you!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 10, 2020, 08:36:02 AM »

You coulda just edited it instead of bringing up again & again.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »

You coulda just edited it instead of bringing up again & again.

Well we hardly ever talk so I'm making the most of it. Cheesy

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 28, 2020, 05:46:23 AM »

Which means - you ask INCESSANTLY to delete post (*did it*), yet...when I ask you to edit replies *still* mentioning it, you refuse? Next time, ask thousand times to delete/remove/erase blah blah any reply - I will NOT do it.
Back to business. Sure finished reading Klapka, great guy, funny book. 3.5/5.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 28, 2020, 06:37:46 AM »

How does once count as INCESSANTLY?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 08, 2020, 04:28:15 AM »

Which means - you ask INCESSANTLY to delete post (*did it*), yet...when I ask you to edit replies *still* mentioning it, you refuse? Next time, ask thousand times to delete/remove/erase blah blah any reply - I will NOT do it.
Back to business. Sure finished reading Klapka, great guy, funny book. 3.5/5.

Glad you enjoyed it, RR.  Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 08, 2020, 05:27:25 AM »

Not surprised K&C series didn't get his name right. Never liked their translations either - read it back to back with their English twins - loose, inaccurate, blunders galore. You picked bad series to read Klapka in Russian (btw, didn't know you study Russian. The Peter trip gave idea p'haps). Shoulda picked series by different publisher - say, "Fabulous Books By Fabulous Writers". They got his name right - Jerome *Klapka* Jerome.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 08, 2020, 06:33:52 AM »

The problem with reading books written in a foreign language - what translation to use.
I read reviews from those fluent in Russian. This translation of The Idiot is too literal and has no nuance. That translation takes too many liberties and isn't literal enough.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 08, 2020, 08:06:29 AM »

Yes, Russian is that way - I read Russian-English back-to-backs like I said earlier & many things difficult to convey in English, especially archaic Russian terms but as well many present day things that difficult to find its English equivalents. But, I should reckon interpreter who studied Russian, *lived* in Russia 10-20 yrs & smb. who's in fact got Russian heritage can translate it with 85% accuracy.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 05, 2020, 10:36:50 AM »

I've gotten through a few books since my last post.
-Beartown, by Fredrik Backman (good)
-Mystery Train, by Greil Marcus (half good)
-And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie (good)

Now, I'm reading Chronicles, Volume One, by Bob Dylan.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 05, 2020, 11:48:37 AM »

-Mystery Train, by Greil Marcus (half good)

Oooff! What, I wonder, was half bad about this book? Okay, à chacun son goût and all that but yes, I'm curious, GH. I loved it from start to finish.

And. while I'm here, I wonder what happened to RangeRoverA1...

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: March 05, 2020, 01:22:10 PM »

I read the fifth edition of Mystery Train. The Notes and Discographies section was longer than the main part of the book, and to me it became tedious to read. I skimmed the last 100 pages. From what I understand, Greil Marcus has expanded the Notes and Discographies with each edition. I think it starts to detract from the quality of the narrative.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 21, 2020, 02:22:58 PM »

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 21, 2020, 06:41:02 PM »

You really read Stephen King? Didn't think you read frightful tales. Btw, "It" is best to see than read.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 22, 2020, 04:57:02 AM »

You really read Stephen King? Didn't think you read frightful tales. Btw, "It" is best to see than read.

I only read the topical message spelled out by the book titles, from top left to bottom right. Some creative soul arranged some of the books in their library.  Wink

I've never read SK. As for films, I've only seen Carrie, the 1976 version with Cissy Spacek.

Wow, you do have a good memory! It's true, I'm not a fan of frightful stuff generally speaking. I did enjoy the first two Terminator movies and Aliens (I watched them with my son) and those were pretty heavy.

I read a book of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft once. They were very well written but they scared the life out of me! Poe is different--I can read him without any trouble, don't know why.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 22, 2020, 05:34:50 AM »

I finished Dylan's Chronicles (enjoyed) and followed that up with Woody Guthrie's Bound for Glory (loved). Now, I'm reading Ficciones, by Jorge Luis Borges, which has been on my to-read list for like 20 years. So far, so good.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: