-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317941 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 15, 2019, 01:49:25 AM »

Frederick Chopin bio.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 22, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »

Frederick Chopin bio.
Which one?
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 22, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

The Proud Tower-barbara tuchman

I'm not reading it now. I'm finished +I suppose it's due back soon. Though, I never finished the essay on the Dreyfuss Affair. Good god, what a tedious bit of history , that.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 23, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »

Russian series ZZL ("Life Of Distinguished People").

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gruelingpace
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 23, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »

Russian series ZZL ("Life Of Distinguished People").
The treachery of your Pan-slavism knows no bounds!   Head Spin
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 07, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »

As February is Black History Month in the US, I decided to focus strictly on African American fiction and history.

I am presently reading Langston Hughes' debut novel, Not Without Laughter, which is a semi autobiographical story about a Black family growing up in Kansas in the early 20th century. Hughes was primarily a poet and that's how I'm familiar with him.

After that I will read Ralph Ellison's novel Invisible Man, which was influenced by TS Eliot's The Waste Land and Dostoevsky 's Notes from Underground.

For the history, it's Isabel Wilkerson's acclaimed The Warmth of Other Suns. It's about the Great Migration of southern African Americans starting around the period of World War I and lasting until around 1970. They were fleeing the "Jim Crow" laws in effect, and also hoping to find better paying jobs.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:09:04 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 08, 2019, 12:54:52 AM »

As February is Black History Month in the US, I decided to focus strictly on African American fiction and history.

I am presently reading Langston Hughes' debut novel, Not Without Laughter, which is a semi autobiographical story about a Black family growing up in Kansas in the early 20th century. Hughes was primarily a poet and that's how I'm familiar with him.

After that I will read Ralph Ellison's novel Invisible Man, which was influenced by TS Eliot's The Waste Land and Dostoevsky 's Notes from Underground.

For the history, it's Isabel Wilkerson's acclaimed The Warmth of Other Suns. It's about the Great Migration of southern African Americans starting around the period of World War I and lasting until around 1970. They were fleeing the "Jim Crow" laws in effect, and also hoping to find better paying jobs.

I wish I had your stamina, E. I've stopped reading altogether at present. Just sudoku puzzles for me right now.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 08, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »

Stamina? Moi?  Grin

No it's determination, gotta force myself to do it. I used to read a lot more when younger but now it's getting harder to concentrate.

I love Sudoku as well as crossword puzzles.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 18, 2019, 04:33:20 AM »

Will join discussion - dislike sudoku (snoozzze); like scanwords. 3D Reasonable brains differ.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: February 18, 2019, 06:37:40 AM »

Reasonable brains differ.

I have to agree with you there, RR.  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 18, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »

When you get to be an old lady as I'm getting to be , Sudoku and crossword puzzles keep the brain cells working.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: February 18, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »

When you get to be an old lady as I'm getting to be , Sudoku and crossword puzzles keep the brain cells working.

Haha. Tell me about it! LOL

@RangeRover, now you've joined the discussion: Did anyone ever tell you your English is absolutely excellent? No? Then I'll do it now. Roll Eyes

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 18, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »

That must be joke. My English is 3/10.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 19, 2019, 01:35:40 AM »

That must be joke. My English is 3/10.

Not joke.  Tongue To begin with, I understand everything you say. But not just that, you say it with flair and humour--rare commodities in a second language.

So don't underestimate your qualities, RR. ;=)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: February 19, 2019, 04:16:24 AM »

So don't underestimate your qualities, RR. ;=)

This +10

It's great that you don't "play it safe" but rather "D--- the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" *

* famous quote by American Admiral David Farragut
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:28:03 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: February 20, 2019, 12:28:44 PM »

Btw, checked thru Russian to foreigners study books & tried to read them with English speaker's eyes - best to leave the idea, you will not, people, tackle it. Written in super-difficult style with weird methods.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 02, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »

Bought the book about grand duchesses Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia. New York Times bestseller, no less 3D (btw, good to see that Americans enjoyed reading about this subject). Written by Helen Rappaport who previously published book about their last days in Ipatiev house aka House Of Special Purpose in which they got killed eventually. But back to this book, she describes the girls really well, distinguishing each. I got to the interesting bit when the war starts in 1914 & quickly big houses, palaces, castles turn into hospitals, Alexandra sees to it, she takes her Big Pair Olga & Tatiana to join as nurses, they study the course in it & despite being royals living in luxury, they act like professionals, they see everything - bleeding head, operation at cutting leg, soldiers with different injuries, operation at getting out the glans (sp?) etc. - yet they get used to it right away. Tatiana especially excelled in it, the doctor even praised her, said she's born nurse. She's better at it than elder sister Olga & even mother, either would get tired very quickly working till late hours in hospital. Tatiana wouldn't, by many accounts. There's many details about this time frame. Little Pair Maria with Anastasia would visit their sisters, assist them with little things but with time, they get duties too, in their hospital in Fedorovsky village. Being young, they didn't get thru special training like OT but they arrange things in it, donate money, help with supplies & see the harsh reality which differs than previous happy years travelling in private yacht to relax with fam. The girls & Alix tell about hospital news to father NII in daily letters who took Alexei wih his teacher & governor Pierre Gilliard to Stavka, place to meet with military Russian & foreign allies.
Interesting to read. Seek it, people, read.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:19:17 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 04, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »

Glad you like The Romanov Sisters book.

In several weeks I will go to a place in western North Carolina, around the mountains, for some R and R and casual talks and films concerning Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), and Hitchcock. So I'm reading short stories featuring Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot, along with  stories featuring Holmes such as The Hound of the Baskervilles, which I had previously read in an English Literature class back in 1976-77.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 05, 2019, 03:47:37 AM »

I'd like to find now the book about royal kitchen, it may be even titled as such. Been mentioned few times in alexander palace site. What the royals of the past ate, the kitchen menu in different seasons/ years & even selected recipes. I'd like to read it when I will've read the OTMA book.
Tell what this "R and R" means. If you go to mountains, there's fresh air. Then it should be "for some F and A". Who's the best sleuth - Marple, Poirot, Holmes? I'd say Sherlock.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 05, 2019, 04:45:20 AM »

Tell what this "R and R" means. If you go to mountains, there's fresh air. Then it should be "for some F and A". Who's the best sleuth - Marple, Poirot, Holmes? I'd say Sherlock.

I'd say E's going to the mountains for some Rock and Roll. I may be wrong, of course. Tongue

Sherlock's my choice, particularly when he's played by Benedict. Roll Eyes

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 05, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »

R and R - rest and relaxation! But wouldn't mind a bit of rock and roll after a few days...

Yes, Benedict is The best.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 05, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »

Good, I knew it's not "rock & roll". It wouldn't make sense. But why shorten it "r and r"? Just say it full "rest and relaxation", I didn't even know this phrase. Please, people, don't forget that there's non-native English speakers posting here. Make it convenient for everybody.
& I asked you question which sleuth is the best to you, NBBF - not which actor is the best Sherlock. I'm curious to know who do you like - Marple, Holmes, Poirot? Answer.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 05, 2019, 11:03:35 AM »

Sorry. Should have written "R and R (rest and relaxation)" . That way you would have known what I was talking about, and you would have learned a common American expression.
One of these days I'll learn - did that to you earlier when I wrote TLC , which means tender loving care.

Let me get back to you in a couple of days to answer your question. I haven't read so much of Poirot so will take care of that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:04:49 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 10, 2019, 06:37:21 PM »

Of the three the best for me right now is Miss Marple.

Won't be able to go on trip after all. No one in my family will be able to make sure my Mother is properly cared for, nor be able to take care of the animals. The weekend night sitter is afraid of dogs and freaks out if our pup gets anywhere near her. And it 's too expensive to board the animals.So I'll go for a  shorter period of time (Monday-Thursday) to our place in the woods, and take the animals with me. I've had one day off since 1 October so am looking forward to a little rest. Will walk around the property (beautiful now, many things blooming), do jigsaw puzzles, read, and sleep. Hope to read some of the things that I would have on the trip.
Or at least that's the plan.. Who knows what will happen?!  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:39:13 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 18, 2019, 05:25:14 PM »

Can you explain the Marple choice?
What you mean by "our place in the woods"? You got fam ranch there?

Take 2:
Can you explain the Marple choice?
What you mean by "our place in the woods"? You got fam ranch there?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:33:38 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: