-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317934 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 06, 2018, 04:14:17 AM »

Hello, Buckethead. Thanks to the link! I just now looked thru it, looks like jolly cool site. Would like to start with checking "Letters of Maria from Exile in English and Russian". She's my fave, that's why.
Tbh, "who is whose relative" aspect doesn't interest in the least bit. Mainly due to the fact it isn't precisely easy to memorize such many inter-connections.
Baba Yaga is the main villain in Russian cartoons (plus the guy version Koschei Bessmertny/K. Immortal). In animal cartoons, it's wolf & fox.

Didn't read, smb. else read it to me - to be exact, Elizabeth Klett - audiobook "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman discovered at random via google horror audiobook results. https://elizabethklettaudio.com/2013/02/08/free-audio-friday-the-yellow-wallpaper/amp/
In the link you'll see Klett shared free d/l with her narration (just half-hour) &, to people who'd like to read it than hear, link to the short tale. I chose d/l. Initially disliked it due to frightful background music absence. It's best with music. Besides, didn't like Klett's voice, she didn't change it to give frightful mood, it seemed. It took few times to get used to it & I did hear the changes then.
The book isn't frightful, smb. may describe it "eerie". 3/5.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:50:40 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 06, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

Hello! Thanks for the info on the male version of Baba Yaga. I'll definitely check that out.  We were all awe of the visual beauty of the cartoon from the 1940s.  Funny how folk and fairy tales have similar themes and archetypes across cultures.

I can't get enough of the relationships between the Romanovs and other royals. A favorite book was based on the interactions and correspondence between  "Nicky, Georgie, and Willy" (everyone found Wilhelm totally annoying) right up through WWI.

Regarding Maria, I have always found her to be breathtakingly beautiful. Posters on the Alexander Palace  site regularly argue about these things. Apparently, Russians of the day typically fawned over Tatianna, but Maria, IMO., would have been a classic beauty in any age or place.

The readings on the website also affirm the degree to which the kids were sheltered. Also interesting there are the recollections of surviving Romanovs on what It was like growing up and living within the bubble, with such limited choices and pressures to conform. Sandro Michailovich has an  interesting recollection of a conversation with relative Wilhelm II about harsh upbringings  and cloying expectations.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 06, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »

Russian cartoon animation is quite sth. indeed. Many praise it, can see why. There's cartoon done by different animation technique (literal translation) "Hedgehog In The Fog". It took few yrs back prestigious international (iirc) prize. It's about hedgehog sitting daydreaming thinking about sth. whilst its noisy hasty friend bear is calling it. I frankly find it dull but mother finds it charming. Maybe you'll like it too.
Mother & aunt say that Disney cartoons & generally American cartoons didn't impress them. I didn't agree with it but at the same time the U.S. cartoons I'd seen use the same technique, slightly updated maybe with times. When in cartoons here you can see various means being used. F.ex. cartoons with plasticine characters & settings. But could be it isn't Russian creation/ the other cartoon industry beat it to it.
I wouldn't know.
There's sth. really ugly about Tatiana's face, maybe too far-set eyes. She's not even the next prettiest to Maria (to these eyes, it's the eldest sister Olga, esp. when she smiles, type "grand duchess olga nikolaevna smile" in google pics. It's important to add father's name "nikolaevna" to get accurate results as there's many Olgas in Russian history, f.ex. Olga Alexandrovna). "Tatiana" is ugly name too, short name will be even worse - Tanya. Mariya/ Maria is, as you may've guessed, English "Mary". The most popular name here miles away. Short names galore - Masha, Manya, Marusya, Marishka, Makha, Mashenka, Mashka. Btw, don't find tsarina beautiful as many say either. Neither when she's young nor married to NII. Which isn't, ofc, to say she's ugly. Ditto her sister Elisabeth (with the "s") which many consider to be much beautiful than Alexandra. Then again, I didn't see every single pic of Ella & Alix. Or they're just not to my taste. As to guys, they say NII, Felix, Dmitri-sth. to be lookers. Well not by me. I will agree about Zinaida Nikolaevna, Felix's mother to be great beauty. She must be the best-looking woman I'd seen in quite some time, albeit retrospectively or belatedly or what they say. Don't confuse with Yusupova Zinaida *Ivanovna*, totes different looking lady, the above mentioned Zina's granny I believe. Speaking of Yusupovs, it's rather aggravating to see people spell it with 2 s's - "Yussupov". Think even historians did it, gah. It's NOT correct.
What's the favorite fun fact(s) about Romanovs fam besides the inter-relations & survivors' recollections? Or general fun fact(s) about living during NII's reign? Curious about your answers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:45:09 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 07, 2018, 04:46:40 PM »

There was a friendly, sympathetic hedgehog in the Baba Yaga cartoon about the evil swan geese (kind of like the Wicked Witch's flying monkeys). He was very sweet and helpful, kind of whistled as he spoke.

Juicy tidbit #1: Not sure if I shared this before, can't find in on the board. Anyway, Felix Yusapov had a penchant for dressing up in his mother's clothes, jewelry, make-up, hair done up to excess. (This by his own admission.)  He tells of days as a student in England when he was crossed-dressed in an  unsavory part of town and King Edward, who was known to be a frequent visitor, attempted to pick him up. Felix and NII's niece only "kind of" stayed married after leaving Russia; I'm sure his "hobby" must have been off-putting for her.

Juicy tidbit 2: Ballerina Matilda Kshesinskaya was NII's lover before he married, then was lover to Sergei Mikhailovich and his cousin, Andrei Vladimirovich. Had a child with one, paternity is unclear. She died in poverty in Paris.

Regarding Tatiana, some have suggested that she had "Slavic" features, which were especially prized in that time and place. Nastya always reminded me of numerous female gym teachers that I have had over the years (as a student).  I do think that NII was very handsome, took after his extremely cute mother.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 07, 2018, 05:58:45 PM »

I'd seen the cartoon with Baba Yaga & geese-swans. It's about sister & her little brother, right? Parents went to the trip telling girl to look after brother, she didn't very well & birds took him to Baba Yaga. Then pech, apple tree & sth. else forgot helped to hide her with brother. Is it that?

Tatiana used to be pretty till she grew. & godawful "big, pressed down balloon"-like hairdos uglified the girls.
The bit about Nastya looking like gym teachers made me chuckle. Many say that she looks boyish. Who is the sympathetic character to you in reading about this timeline in Russian history? Anybody nice (except their respective kids) or everybody is bad in different ways to you?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: October 07, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »

Read that the future Lord Mountbatten went gaga when he met Maria.
Towards the end of his life he kept a photo of Maria in his bedroom.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 10, 2018, 06:27:37 AM »

Edgar Poe would be in Top 5 favorite writers list. "Hop Frog" - 5/5.  It, "Black Cat" & "Berenice" I regard as Edgar's best right now. Smb. compared him to H. P. Lovecraft. Can't see blatant similarity. Perhaps I could when I read at least 15 titles by H. I read 3 random short tales by him.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 11, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »

F. Rabelais "Gargantua & Pantagruel" - reading few pages. Eccentric. We'll see if it's good.

I read that many moons ago. It's hilarious at times but there's rather a lot of it. Grin
Finished - 2/5.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 11, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »

I'm slowly working my way through David Friedrich Strauss's "The Life of Jesus Critically Examined," an early-to-mid 19th century piece of Biblical criticism in the (ongoing) quest for the historical Jesus. From what I've read about it by others, it's one of the earlier, truly critical attempts at such a task. While I'm very interested in the topic, it's really slow going, absolutely agonizing to be honest. The language (translated from the original German) is still very dated, and the occasional references to the Greek originals do me no favors. (I'm thinking of trying to learn New Testament-era Greek, actually, as I keep coming across this issue.) I've already renewed it once and still have something like 650 pages (out of about 800) to go. But on the positive side, I don't anticipate people putting in requests for it, so I may get a couple more renewals.

But at least I can laugh every time they write "connexion" instead of "connection." I don't know why, but it tickles me.

For fun I've been reading Tolstoy's Hadji Murat, too, but I feel bad when I switch over to it considering all the work ahead of me on the Strauss.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 13, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »

As per Buckethead, decided to finally check alexander palace site. I read letters & diaries by Romanov children to mother, father, relatives, various people's who knew children accounts, tales, casualties. Read the board attached to site.
The discussion that interested me the best is about who resembles who. Smb. brought good point about neither of 5 kids looking like parents, they look like previous generation ancestors. F.ex. Maria many agree looks like her grandmother Dowager Empress Marie Fedorovna & by physical strength like Alexander III. I.e. she looks like her father's side. Tatiana they find similarity with cousin Irina Yusupova, yet some think she looks like "Alix", mother. Many say she's got exotic face, looks draastically different than her 4 siblings.
I disagree about each p.o.v. about Tatiana but agree about Maria (still she's got her individual features that make her prettier than MF & AIII).
Looking at the pictures gracefully shared by many parties - there's even special Romanovs archive in Beinecke Library of rare books & manuscripts in Yale, in its site you can see big Romanov family picture collection - anyhoo, looking at the pics posted, studying them (I like studying old b&w pictures), here's my conclusion:
Olga - looks like neither, apparently she looks like father when they were babies, I didn't see NII's baby pics yet. If not "neither", then I'd say she looks like "Nicky" & "Alix" blend.
Tatiana - ditto. Totes different than parents. & those far-set eyes puzzle it further.
Maria - as mentioned, looks like father's side but not immediate parents.
Anastasia - well before she grew teenager, she looked like big sister Tatiana when she (T.) was the same age. Thin long face, thin classic nose, defined chin. Which doesn't make her different than Olga either who had delicate features as well. But when A. grew, she changed really big time, it's when people began comparing A. with Alexandra. They posted pics of young teenage Alix back to back with Nastya's pics. Sure, in the surface there is similarity. But, when you look better, it's not much. Again, looks like either neither parent or mixture.
Alexei - everybody universally agrees he looks like mother/mother's Hessian side. Hm, maybe but tbh, if there's smb. in Romanov kids looks like good mixture of their parents, it'd be Alexei. In pics with him & NII, just them together, you can tell it isn't some random boy posing with tsar - it's his son. Alexei's got father's face features too, it's esp. telling in his last pics.
Speaking of, read as well, in the site AND MB, detailed circumstances leading the royal fam to abdication, description how they died. Poor children. Didn't luck out. I chocked reading esp. about Alexei & Olga, that she made crossing sign when seeing gun directed at her. I shan't write details in case smb. eats supper now. What's really puzzling - smb. said in board that in girls' dresses the diamonds were hid, sewn by Alix or smb. in the fam, like they knew they were gonna die by gun & Alix/ smb. got this bullet-proof idea, that's why the 1st bullets apparently didn't kill the girls. Is it fact?
Looking at pics, reading diaries & letters, I'd say I liked Olga the best. Maria is such fun & prettiest (duh) but there's sth. in Olga that appeals to my eyes. Smb. aptly described "Olga is pictured with thoughtful pensive look". It really fits her, plus she's got the best smile of them all, very attractive, enigmatic paired with genuine & frank, topped off with kind & warm, mixed in as well with goofy. Lotta facets to that smile. Kinda like Gioconda (sp?).
Many interested in Grigoriy Rasputin's Alexei's healing & influence in the Royal fam. Say it's interesting figure in history. Doesn't make sense imo. As I gathered, it's just some chap advised to/ discovered by Alix when usual doctors couldn't help Alexei's hemophilia. Then he got killed which could be beginning to serious changes but if you forget that bit, the chap isn't big deal imo. Pretty harmless figure who happened to look "scary" maybe. That's about it.
Would like to read next to letters, diaries, tales the outside the royal house events during NII's leadership.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 15, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »

Isn't it great, RRA!?! It's as much fun as Smileysmile.net, even better arguments!

Regarding the issue of sewing jewels into the garments, I believe the purpose was to take something of value with them if/when they were to escape or be exiled from Russia. Those who did get out typically could take relatively little with them, and all funds in foreign accounts, as well as land holdings and homes in Europe had to be "repatriated" during WWI, so nothing to rely on on the outside. Felix Yussapov (family even richer than Romanovs) and Princess Irina struggled, as they had never had to economize and blew through their funds. NII's sister Olga ended up dying in a small apartment above a beauty shop in Canada. Eyewitness accounts do indicate that bullets bounced off of the girls and they had to be bayoneted to death.

Agree that Maria looks like father's side. Actually, like Alexander III - in a much prettier way, but similar "substantial" build. If you are into Olga, there is an adorable pic of her as an infant with mom and dad visiting great-grandma Queen Victoria. Alexandra was quite close to her, as her own mother, Alice, died when A. was just a young girl. She was nursing her children through diptheria and contracted it. QV became a mother figure, despite the fact that she and Alice were often at odds regarding mothering. There is a memoir on the site written by a close friend of A. who mentions that her pictures did not do her justice because an essential aspect of her beauty was her coloring. Something like glowing light golden skin and auburn hair. I personally think that rich and important people tend to be viewed through rose-colored lenses, that many would not be seen as anything special were it not for that. Example: Princess Diana. Great clothes, make-up, hair done by pros at all times, but in context of real life? Nah.   

Rasputin was an interesting man. Adhered to philosophy that one must sin a lot and seriously to experience the transformative power of absolution. Many women accused him of sexual assault, others, especial high society ladies, seemed to have animalistic physical attraction to him. Yusspov and many Romanovs were seriously disturbed by the man's well-known and seemingly hypnotic influence on Alexandra, especially after NII took over command of the army, saw him as one more reason the country was about to erupt.  Yus and NII's nephew were part of the planning and implementation of the murder, and NII was pissed off to no end when relatives pressured him to go easy on them. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 15, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »

I see. Btw, may I correct you? It's Yusupov with single "s", mentioned here before. Posters in that board make mistakes in names. My advice - don't repeat them.

It explains why main language Alexandra used with children is English instead of German, albeit they could speak it little bit. The kids' letters to mother were in English. To NII - in Russian.

See, Rasputin's figure's surrounded by myths & legends. It's difficult to believe, things like he could manipulate people, used tricks to influence high society etc. Too much noise about plain old chap. What was he - 70? 50? Even 40's old. When you get thru this rubbish, he's just old chap assigned to heal Alexei when the city, qualified doctors couldn't. But, perhaps there's crucial historic details about Rasputin's role in NII's time I didn't read.

NB: In free time, can you get back to Reply #629? Asked you questions. Ta in advance. :D

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 16, 2018, 07:39:34 PM »

Thank you for the correction.

Yes, the girls spoke English and Russian (and French, probably, as it was the language  in which the upper crust communicated with each other.) That was a big reason why Grand Duchess Olga (NII's sister)  did not believe that Anna Anderson was Anastasia - the woman spoke only German.
Russians who resented  Alexandra's "Germaness" were not well informed.

Rasputin died around age 40. While it is probably true that much of what we hear/read about him is the stuff of folklore at this point, he must have had enough people in Romanov circles concerned about how the general populace perceived him, and at a time when the Romanov's position was already shaky, that they took the risk of killing him. And there are  charismatic  people who do have gifts of manipulation with vulnerable people. Are you familiar with cult leaders such as Jim Jones? Sometimes I try to put myself in A's shoes. She had a hemo brother die  as a toddler from a fall, then watches her own child almost die in agony. People experiencing great blood loss exhibit a great deal of anxiety, which, I suppose, doesn't help the situation in a physiological sense. So R comes and perhaps has a quasi-hypnotic effect that calms the boy and he improves? Perhaps. Better, anyway, than the reported treatment of ASPIRIN, of all things, that the doctors gave him. Guess we'll never really know.

Regarding your question: I've been giving that a a lot of thought. I'll get back to you on that. My initial thought is that I don't perceive the Romanovs  as all bad. Some seem to have been pretty sympathetic figures. What do you think? What is the general perception in modern Russia on this topic?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 17, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »

I read that the main language upper crust communicated during NII's reign is Russian. French faded away by then, it was popular at previous rulers' times. Posters who read great deal about this time in Rus. history said sth. along the lines that NII even disallowed French or sth. to the effect.

This AA thing's continuing endlessly, people discuss her EVEN despite knowing she's not Anastasia, a-am-a-zing. Shouldn't they quit giving her attention then? Nope, they can't, apparently.
1stly, Anna doesn't look ANYthing like Anastasia. You couldn't find 2 more different faces. I'm puzzled that Olga Alexandrovna didn't look at THAT fact, strangely paying attention to the language usage which is good evidence, sure, but it's 2ndary to appearance.
Next & important - NOBODY could survive/ escape/ you name being trapped in the house surrounded by numerous guards & people who hate big time the royal fam. It's impossible. They all died, including Anastasia. Basta. End of.
People must face it by now, it's been 100 yrs. It's disrespectful to Nastya to go about discussing AA like she's real deal. Anna Anderson is nobody, just some lady who should've stayed that way instead of getting recognition, popularity, publicity etc.
What's puzzling too, is in many such cases with imposters people try many *other* things to prove their identity & just at the *last* minute they check DNA. It's like the last resort. AA's DNA showed she's not Romanov fam. They waited too long to check it. It should be done right away.

Yes, that question. But there's the other question in Reply #629, 1st paragraph. I described the cartoon I'd seen & wished that you confirm if it's the cartoon you'd seen with pupils, going by characters I listed etc.
Russians' perception of the last tsar's ruling is negative. Romanovs - mixed views. Many as you sympathize some individuals. As for me, I just recently began to study this era & read about notable people who lived that time to give you fair & balanced answer. In the meantime, look fwd to your answers. Smiley

Related to topic we discuss, here's my fave anecdote about Olga, read in thread "Olga's anecdotes", quote taken in the kids' Irish nanny Margaret Eagar's book "Six Years At The Russian Court":

>>>Once there was a cinematograph exhibition for the children and some friends. One picture showed two little girls playing in a garden, each with a table before her covered with toys. Suddenly the bigger girl snatched a toy from the little one who, however, held on to it and refused to give it up. Foiled in her attempts, the elder seized a spoon and pounded the little one with it, who quickly relinquished the toy and began to cry. Tatiana wept to see the poor little one so ill-treated, but Olga was very quiet. After the exhibition was over she said, "I can't think that we saw the whole of that picture." I said I hoped the end of it was that the naughty big sister was well punished, adding that I thought we had seen quite enough as I had no wish to see anything more of such a naughty girl. Olga then said, "I am sure that the lamb belonged at first to the big sister, and she was kind and lent it to her sister; then she wanted it back, and the little sister would not give it up, so she had to beat her."<<<

& here's fave by Tatiana, same book by their once-nanny:

>>>One day the children and I were walking in the garden of the Winter Palace. The Emperor has some really beautiful collie dogs, and these were taking exercise in the garden at the same time. One of them, a young untrained creature, jumped on Tatiana Nicolaivna's back, and threw her down. The child was frightened and cried most bitterly. I lifted her up and said:
"Poor Sheilka! she did not mean to hurt you; she only wanted to say 'Good-morning' to you."
The child looked at me and said, "Was that all? I don't think she is very polite; she could have said it to my face, not to my back."<<<

I like esp. Olga's. Hilarious.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:05:42 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 17, 2018, 07:22:55 PM »

That little film Olga saw sounds like one of the earliest films made. It's only about a minute long.
It's on YT . It's called Child Quarel - Lumiere Brothers 1896 (yes, "quarrel" is misspelled).
Every time I see this film I wish I could pick the crying baby up. It's funny and sad at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:25:47 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 18, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »

Yes, I suspected as much it's sth. by Lumiere bros. At any rate, Olga's comment is funny & equally smart. Kids, as well as many adults would see film as is. She viewed it differently; going by various recollections describing each grand duchess, she didn't say things to induce laughs &/ or dropped jaws.
Btw, short clips showing Imperial fam exist in various documentaries (mute ofc). F.ex. smb. at alexander palace MB described OTMA walking downstairs to get to boat/ ship. Would be cool to check it via yotube.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 18, 2018, 05:30:47 PM »

NBBF - Wow. I've never seen a film that old. Kind of neat to know that OTMA watched this same one we see!

RRA1 - Yes, the cartoon you describe sounds just like the one we watched in class. Some kids whined that they were not babies, what the h____am I doing, etc., then after a couple of minutes they were silent, mesmerized. We did a lesson Russian naming customs and some students remembered the that the girl was addressed differently by others (Marushka, Marishenka, etc. We have nicknames, but not so many ways of addressing someone based on relationship.)

Love your gems about the girls. They sound so normal!

Re: AA - I believe that Olga did mention that the face was dissimilar to that of her niece, even making allowances for such a difficult life.

Thanks for the correction about French. Forget where I read it, but my impression was gotten from a memoir written by, I believe, an NII cousin who, along with his brother, delighted in pissing of older ladies by using Russian. Of course, they were teens at the time; things might well have been changing quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMRvQEM6y8M
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 18, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »

As I understand, it's OT who went to see films. Ms. Eagar would've said sth. about MA. In fact, she'd written this funny tale prior to telling Anastasia's birth. & if Nastya arrived by that time, she wouldn't likely see the film consciously. Might be bored. Then I say "little pair" shouldn't count.
You've yourself got many nicknames! :D Betty, Betsy, Liz, Lizzy, Eliza, Beth, Liza, Betta...
Well, even thru difficult living state people don't change to the point they start looking like smb. *else*.
What's in the video? Can't check it. Is it, by chance, Imperial fam clips I mentioned?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 06:29:06 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 31, 2018, 05:31:52 PM »

"Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It's nice. I shan't rate it. I'd seen trailer to the 90s film adaptation - looks inferior. Smb. at alexander palace board funnily compared face-wise the young actress playing Mary to Anastasia. She's not my fave grand duchess but she's prettier than Kate Maberley. There isn't any likeness. Book-wise, "Secret Garden" isn't as good as "Little Lord Fauntleroy", it's Burnett's milestone.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 31, 2018, 08:56:03 PM »

As the link to it came up today in my FB news feed, I read the short story "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. It's been many years since I'd last read it. As chilling as ever.  Shocked

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 11, 2018, 08:16:05 AM »

What's in the video? Can't check it. Is it, by chance, Imperial fam clips I mentioned?
Well. Since I didn't get the answer to the quoted question - yes/no would, at least, suffice - I checked the link when Internet/ youtube went fast. It's indeed Imperial fam clips. Pity it's bad/ grainy quality. Stupid voices saying stupid thing too (some dummy repeats "5...5...17" Roll Eyes). Doesn't match contents AT ALL. Btw, reading alexander palace board, it's not the entire thing, users described sth. else in addition to clips in the vid, f.ex. footage exists with the girls training with their respective regiments, dressed as hussar & such.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:17:36 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 11, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »

RRA! - Sorry! I haven't been able to hop on SS lately. Agree that the vid is really fast, grainy, and I'd rather not have fake sounds inserted. I've not seen the girls training with their regiments, although somewhere are photographs of the older ones in uniform, IIRC. (I somehow doubt that they trained with them, probably just "reviewing" the regiments.)

NBBF - Agree about "The Lottery." The stark juxtaposition of the wholesomeness and normalcy to the final scene is like a kick in the gut. I think I was in 6th grade or so when I read it. There was a short movie based on the story. Oh! Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyhVg31iaQ

Ed Begely, Jr. plays one of the little tow-headed boys (Harry? Henry?).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 12, 2018, 07:24:12 AM »

Apology accepted.
*Each* grand duchess been assigned regiment. Even Anastasia (btw, it really infuriates me when posters at alexander palace shorten the name to "Ana". It's 100% wrong, short name is Nastya, full stop!). You're right there's pics with big pair in their respective regiment uniforms AND don't forget Maria. Pics with Anastasia in uniform either don't exist or saved in the archives. Nope, they didn't just review, it's full rehearsal, the girls give commands, ride in horses (albeit sideways girl-like sitting) with their legion etc. It's definitely training, yep. I read plenty info at alexander palace site & board. There's many annoying posters but many good, respectful, willing to share what they know without being uptight & snobs. I esp. like the place in the site in which entire books' content is posted to be read by EVERYbody for FREE. Isn't it fantastic? Such generous kind admins/ host. IT's the way it must be done around the Internet. Wishful thinking, yep.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 12, 2018, 05:02:49 PM »

RRA! - Interesting about the girls -  shall have to look further through AP website. Agree about the books. I enjoyed  "Sandro" Mikhailovich's  tome.
Even though it was written from his probably somewhat serve-serving perspective, it gives an interesting glimpse into the Romanov world.
One tidbit that I recall was when he met not-too-distant cousin Wilhelm of Prussia (can't recall if he was yet Kaiser W.), whose brother married S's sister. The two compared notes, commiserated, really, about the  harsh upbringing and expectations of males in their stations. S. also told a story of attending a dinner with many in the extended Romanov fam. An older teenage brother or cousin was asked what he planned  to do upon attaining adulthood. When he responded that he would like to be a writer or naturalist or something, there was some tension in the air. Then a decadent dessert was served, and  the young man was pointedly passed over. The message: Young Romanov males should know better than to express interest  in any career other than the military or navy. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 12, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »

Buckethead, by checking Anglo-English dictionary, I didn't find "serve-serving" you used. Could you tell its definition? Thanks in advance.
Re: regiments - read detailed thread "OTMA's regiments".
There's debates about saying last name Romanov & Romanoff. Tsar & czar. Many alexander palace users agreed it's right to spell Romanov & smb. said czar is archaic spelling - tsar is definitive today. Will you bring your views about these?

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: