-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 33   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 317857 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2015, 07:46:23 AM »

I'm behind on books.  ...  has been sitting on my shelf for about 4-5 years. 

Glad I'm not the only one with that problem. The booty from my past couple of trips to the bookstore are still sitting in stacks on a table, on a shelf. I mean to read them all immediately ... I just don't.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »

I'm behind on books.  ...  has been sitting on my shelf for about 4-5 years.  

Glad I'm not the only one with that problem. The booty from my past couple of trips to the bookstore are still sitting in stacks on a table, on a shelf. I mean to read them all immediately ... I just don't.

Everytime I get close to being caught up, I wind up getting more books.  
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:15:04 AM by KDS » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2015, 08:11:51 AM »

You have bookstores too? What magical planet do you all live on? Where I live it's only Barnes and Noble with the same limited best seller-pop books and read-them-already classics. I used to spend hours daily browsing bookstores, but they're all gone! The only place I've been lately with decent bookshops is New Orleans.
Even Cambridge is lacking.
KDS
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2015, 08:16:33 AM »

You have bookstores too? What magical planet do you all live on? Where I live it's only Barnes and Noble with the same limited best seller-pop books and read-them-already classics. I used to spend hours daily browsing bookstores, but they're all gone! The only place I've been lately with decent bookshops is New Orleans.

Here in the Baltimore area, we have a nice used bookshop called Ukazoo.  We also have a big bookstore called Greetings and Readings which sells books as well as gifts, apparel, and greeting cards. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »

Here in the Baltimore area, we have a nice used bookshop called Ukazoo.  We also have a big bookstore called Greetings and Readings which sells books as well as gifts, apparel, and greeting cards. 
Soooo jealous. Browsing online is just not the same.
KDS
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2015, 08:28:56 AM »

Soooo jealous. Browsing online is just not the same.

Very true.  I feel the same way about CDs.  We still have some for real record stores here. 

Although I will admit, when I do browse for books at a bookshop or record store, it's usually to get ideas for my Amazon Wish List. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:38 PM »

This weekend, I started reading "Stoner," by John Williams. I had come across an article discussing it as a somewhat neglected classic that is having a resurgence. I'm enjoying it so far. Always nice to have a pleasant surprise come out of nowhere.

Just finished this. Loved it. Highly recommended as a beautiful, easily digestible novel.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »

Notified of the free e-book download by NoiseTrade - "Surviving Christmas" by Anne Marie Miller. We'll see. Not bad, a bit too religious but the girl is cool in my book. 3D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:18:23 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »

I get lots of notifications from NoiseTrade. I can't catch up with downloading free e-Books (though there is an option to submit $1 or 2. No thanks. police ). Help!  Tongue

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2016, 11:34:25 PM »

After binging on Chandler over the last few months (and especially enjoying The Long Goodbye, which seems to have some Brian Wilson resoance), I'm re-reading some Ross Macdonald, starting with The Underground Man: http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/ross-mcdonald-underground-man.html
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 08, 2016, 07:34:36 AM »

Calling for recommendations. I'm in a drought at the moment. I started reading Upton Sinclair's "The Millenium" and Gunter Grass's "The Tin Drum," and haven't advanced beyond the first couple dozen pages of either. At least at the moment, neither is keeping my attention or interest.

So, anyone have any tips for a good novel or two? My favorite writers are Knut Hamsun, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Richard Ford, Albert Camus. I've enjoyed Jhumpa Lahiri, Philip Roth, FS Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Vlad Nabokov, Leo Tolstoy, Raymond Carver, Saul Bellow, Stephen Dixon, JP Sartre, John Cheever, Arthur Phillips, JM Coetzee.

Anybody got any ideas?

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #236 on: January 08, 2016, 09:24:43 AM »

Try Glen David Gold's Sunnyside.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I sold a dozen or so books and, while there, looked around for your suggestion, but it wasn't in stock. I'll keep an eye out, though.

I picked up I.B. Singer's "In My Father's Court," (while I had the second volume, I never had this one), Oleg Pavlov's "The Matiushin Case," and Sarah Hall's "The Beautiful Indifference."

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2016, 09:30:11 PM »

James Hadley Chase - Strictly for Cash. Didn't finish the reading but it's interesting & adventurous.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 25, 2016, 06:50:47 AM »

Still reading this (I'm a slow reader). I hope to finish it soon.  Cool Guy 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2016, 10:52:19 PM »

Clotilde Landais "Stephen King As A Postmodern Author" (2012). I'm at page 60 & I like it. Interesting theories wrt "fictitious writer and doppelganger" during discussion of "The Dark Half" & "Secret Window, Secret Garden". I didn't read the books but watched the films. This is must-read for Stephen King fans.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2016, 10:00:35 PM »

Eternal Troubadour: The Improbable Life Of Tiny Tim

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »

http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/michael-chabon-telegraph-avenue.html

This, after owning it for four years. Sometimes life gets in the way.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2016, 11:06:47 PM »

Alfred Hitchcock "Collection of short stories" (in Russian)
Agatha Christie "Miss Marple" (my favorite detective 3D)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:30:01 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2016, 11:09:32 PM »

Apparently, he wasn't so tiny...  Evil
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2016, 05:57:25 AM »

Robert Lawrence Stine "Scarecrow walks at midnight". My favorite re-read in his "Goosebumps" series.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:25:44 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2016, 07:49:00 AM »

Who cares about height?
Roll Eyes
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »

Duck Tales comics. 3D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:34:53 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »

Calling for recommendations. I'm in a drought at the moment. I started reading Upton Sinclair's "The Millenium" and Gunter Grass's "The Tin Drum," and haven't advanced beyond the first couple dozen pages of either. At least at the moment, neither is keeping my attention or interest.

So, anyone have any tips for a good novel or two? My favorite writers are Knut Hamsun, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Richard Ford, Albert Camus. I've enjoyed Jhumpa Lahiri, Philip Roth, FS Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway, Vlad Nabokov, Leo Tolstoy, Raymond Carver, Saul Bellow, Stephen Dixon, JP Sartre, John Cheever, Arthur Phillips, JM Coetzee.

Anybody got any ideas?
Based on your Russian lit. enjoyment, I'd recommend Nikolai Gogol.
Based on the international aspect of your list, I'd recommend Kawabata for a start with Japanese literature or Naguib Mahfouz for Egyptian.
If you want further South African reading, you could try Nadine Gordimer or, if you like reading plays, Athol Fugard.
If you like literary criticism, Axels Castle by Edmund Wilson contains a great discussion of the movement that produced Fitzgerald and Hemingway and will lead you to several other interesting writers.
Based on your list I think you may enjoy Emile Zola or Guy de Maupassant.
My favorite Roth novels are the Zuckerman books. My favorite Nabokov is Pnin.
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »

The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov if not already mentioned.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 33   Go Up
Print
Jump to: