-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 15, 2019, 11:24:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  The What Are You Reading? Thread
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The What Are You Reading? Thread  (Read 98865 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 15, 2019, 01:49:25 AM »

Frederick Chopin bio.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Jolly Christmas!

Buy medieval clogs at million dollar auction.  Bring certified cashier's check or armored truck of bullion.
greenhorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 22, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »

Frederick Chopin bio.
Which one?
greenhorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 22, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

The Proud Tower-barbara tuchman

I'm not reading it now. I'm finished +I suppose it's due back soon. Though, I never finished the essay on the Dreyfuss Affair. Good god, what a tedious bit of history , that.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 23, 2019, 02:10:24 PM »

Russian series ZZL ("Life Of Distinguished People").

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Jolly Christmas!

Buy medieval clogs at million dollar auction.  Bring certified cashier's check or armored truck of bullion.
greenhorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 23, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »

Russian series ZZL ("Life Of Distinguished People").
The treachery of your Pan-slavism knows no bounds!   Head Spin
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 07, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »

As February is Black History Month in the US, I decided to focus strictly on African American fiction and history.

I am presently reading Langston Hughes' debut novel, Not Without Laughter, which is a semi autobiographical story about a Black family growing up in Kansas in the early 20th century. Hughes was primarily a poet and that's how I'm familiar with him.

After that I will read Ralph Ellison's novel Invisible Man, which was influenced by TS Eliot's The Waste Land and Dostoevsky 's Notes from Underground.

For the history, it's Isabel Wilkerson's acclaimed The Warmth of Other Suns. It's about the Great Migration of southern African Americans starting around the period of World War I and lasting until around 1970. They were fleeing the "Jim Crow" laws in effect, and also hoping to find better paying jobs.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:09:04 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 08, 2019, 12:54:52 AM »

As February is Black History Month in the US, I decided to focus strictly on African American fiction and history.

I am presently reading Langston Hughes' debut novel, Not Without Laughter, which is a semi autobiographical story about a Black family growing up in Kansas in the early 20th century. Hughes was primarily a poet and that's how I'm familiar with him.

After that I will read Ralph Ellison's novel Invisible Man, which was influenced by TS Eliot's The Waste Land and Dostoevsky 's Notes from Underground.

For the history, it's Isabel Wilkerson's acclaimed The Warmth of Other Suns. It's about the Great Migration of southern African Americans starting around the period of World War I and lasting until around 1970. They were fleeing the "Jim Crow" laws in effect, and also hoping to find better paying jobs.

I wish I had your stamina, E. I've stopped reading altogether at present. Just sudoku puzzles for me right now.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 08, 2019, 07:31:57 AM »

Stamina? Moi?  Grin

No it's determination, gotta force myself to do it. I used to read a lot more when younger but now it's getting harder to concentrate.

I love Sudoku as well as crossword puzzles.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: