-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Exodus Part Three: The Resign Thread + The Long Version Of What Happened
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Exodus Part Three: The Resign Thread + The Long Version Of What Happened  (Read 59749 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2006, 09:50:13 PM »

Well.

I'll say it again, just to be sure.

Well.

I've read what's left here on the thread (from sundry commets it's obvious that parts have been deleted), and I'm left with this thought.

Charles is admin, and indeed owner of this MB, and as such I take it as a given that he has access to the content of PMs. No problem there.

The problem I have is with an admin who choses to reveal on the board the content, if not the text, of private[/i] conversations between himself and a poster, for whatever reasons (but especially those of self-justification). That violates every principle involved in being an admin, and forces me to the uncomfortable conclusion that the word 'private' has a different meaning here when compared to the rest of the world. This is unacceptable to me, for trust once broken can never be completely restored.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2006, 02:07:48 AM »

Each time I come back to this site, more and more members are dropping like flies because of silly internet drama. I may not've been here as long as the rest of you all, but it was the people that kept me coming back. It was the people that made me want to contribute my opinions and ask questions and not just be a lurker like I am on so many other boards of interests that pertain to me. I never made one post on the Blueboard, because I didn't like the overall aura and feeling of the board. But here, I post daily.

Or at least I used to. Ridiculous drama which I don't even fully understand from people old enough to know better has lead to a demise of the community that I loved. Sometimes the board was the highlight of my day. Now it's just an afterthought.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2006, 02:45:12 AM »

The problem I have is with an admin who choses to reveal on the board the content, if not the text, of private[/i] conversations between himself and a poster, for whatever reasons (but especially those of self-justification). That violates every principle involved in being an admin, and forces me to the uncomfortable conclusion that the word 'private' has a different meaning here when compared to the rest of the world. This is unacceptable to me, for trust once broken can never be completely restored.

Andrew, I may be wrong, but everything I "revealed" in my post was already known.  THAT WAS PART OF MY POINT.  Everytime I've had a private conversation with Laurie, or some others here, it ends up becoming fodder for public conversation and gossip.

I'm sorry you've seen fit to end your time on this board.  I will state again, it's not necessary. 

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Octave Doctor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2006, 02:53:57 AM »

One more thing before I say goodbye to this insane thread for good...

Jon, the fact that you have banned Chuck from your board and yet have the audacity to come here to his board to attack him speaks volumes about your character.

Cowardly, and so not "rock n roll." Sad
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2006, 02:59:50 AM »

While I appreciate Jon speaking out here, Octave, you make a point to consider.

Susan has suggested it would be best if let this be for now.  I believe she may be right, or at least that I shouldn't respond to every accusation from every "guest."  I will repeat this:  I did not harass anyone on this board.  And it is clear to me that there are long standing issues that people have with me that go beyond two private messages I sent to someone here.  Such as, considering one self to be the "founder" of this message board, and declaring parts of the larger web site "lame."  The very existence of this board and site is offensive to some, no matter I say or do.

Also, while I find the declarations of the demise of this site and board to be premature, it is true they are of a limited lifespan, like everything in this world.   If I found it necessary to shut down any part of this Beach Boy experiment, I'd miss it, but my real life would go on.  But I'm not buying the casket just yet.  I've not asked people to pick sides, or used this to grow the membership of my board.  I simply want people to know what they are talking about before they make a decision about me.  I don't want someone's negative opinion of me to be based upon private messages others have chosen to share and talk about.

I will now do my best to say as little as possible.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 03:18:59 AM by Charles LePage » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2006, 03:16:30 AM »

I'm confused because at one time I got my back up and took people to task because I thought Laurie Arleen was a teenager who was being harrassed and sexually teased with many inappropriate things being done and said in her direction by many people. Because I didn't read every post in every forum, I wasn't aware she was an adult woman and was I made to feel sort of foolish [maybe that was just me] because I didn't know this was supposedly alright because it was supposedly "joking" around.

I'm not taking sides one way or another yet and I don't want to be involved or PMed with anything because if I were I would feel compelled to take it up directly with those involved for clarification and I'm not really feelin' up to it at the mo'. I think everyone needs to turn it down a notch or several and you all work it out. Maybe they already have because I haven't read every post in this or other threads either.

I guess I am foolish.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Kirk Lowdermilk
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2006, 03:31:08 AM »

I think it will be good because this place won't be stunk up w/Ian's farts anymore. A talented wrtier certainly-about every 800th post. And now that he's at the other place, you know it's only a matter of time until he melts down over there about something, and then there will be more drama!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2006, 03:33:16 AM »

ATTENTION!!! Just to make this clear:

- I have no idea what has happened on these boards while I was away. And to be honest, I don´t even want to know it.

- I will continue to write on both boards, so please don´t attack me for not taking one side or the other, ok?

That´s all.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2006, 03:44:09 AM »

I'll stick around...theres too much good music talk on this site...people have to be careful that revelaing personal information on the internet is not always a wise thing...I noticed this about certain posters...they spill their whole life on the net and of course people will flock...

Love & Mercy

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
carlydenise2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2006, 04:52:39 AM »

WOW!  What in the WORLD  happened here?Huh!! Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked  
I guess I have never wandered over to this side of the schoolyard before, I usually just post on the on topic stuff.  I had no idea there was another Smile board or a sandbox.  
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2006, 04:54:01 AM »

a decent night's sleep makes all the difference...two good posts, I plan on stayin...It's not so much that "what happened" was insignificant, although in the bigger scheme of things it might be...it's just that the SS board is so vast,I'm sure there are posters on it who have little if any idea that the Sandbox exploded,sh*t flyin everywhere...

WE NEED THE SANDBOX

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2006, 04:56:31 AM »

WOW!  What in the WORLD  happened here?Huh!! Huh Shocked Shocked Shocked  
I guess I have never wandered over to this side of the schoolyard before, I usually just post on the on topic stuff.  I had no idea there was another Smile board or a sandbox.  

Trust me Carly, you don't wanna know...maybe that's what they mean by "ignorance is bliss"

"schoolyard" is right...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:59:46 AM by scooter » Logged

asswax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2006, 09:17:37 AM »

electronic lynching.  best post ever.  i agree with it.  octave doctor is the doctor, and the doctor is in.

the smile shoppers up in arms are self-righteous children.

everyone else seems to be cool.  if not, prove it.  if you can't, shove it.

i'm gonna drop this now.  but we'll see if this happens again "laurie".  (i use quotes because i don't know you or jon or charles or ian or anybody, just my computer screen) 

i assume you've taken measures to assure that doesn't happen again.  as an adult, i assume you can take care of yourself.

we'll see.  glad it's a new day.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2006, 09:43:52 AM »

From Jon Hunt on The Smile Shop:
That's fucking BULLSHIT. Nobody had ever said anything like that. Of course, who knows what we said, since the entire thread is deleted -- Chuck could claim at this point that we said he liked to f*** pink elephants, and there'd be no proof.

Yes, we're all out to get him. That's such BULLSHIT -- we said what I just said above: he posted a photoshopped partially-naked picture of Laurie.

As a guy that had no idea about any of this drama, I can't comment on what I think happened..  but it DOES
sound strange that so many people have access to the PM's Charles was sending that girl.  It seems she was
forwarding this stuff to a lot of people and that's problematic.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 09:46:39 AM by TV Forces » Logged
asswax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »

i agree.  this paley/wilson thing was so secret that person number one was ONLY allowed to tell four other people.   Huh

time will tell.  if the same thing happens again over there, we'll know what the deal is.   Shocked
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2006, 11:22:19 AM »

Just want to say that I think Charles has done a wonderful job here and I will certainly stick around.  This board is run much better than the old one was, in my opinion.  And the lynch mob they've gathered over at the new one is appalling.

Love and merci,  Dan Lega
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2006, 11:30:57 AM »

From what I've seen, the reaction to whatever the f*** happened (creeping someone out???) is incomprehensible. Chuck, damn fine board you got here.
I don't get it. Never will, I imagine. People I like, really cool people are deleting their accounts here.
asswax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2006, 11:57:30 AM »

What I Gathered:

Laurie was creeped out by Chuck e-mailing her everyday, and it took a while for her to get up the courage enough to tell him so.

Chuck wasn't e-mailing her everyday out of creepiness, he thought it was a mutual thing, to greet each other everyday and carry on a "behind the scenes" PM relationship.

I would imagine that Arlene suddently felt out of the blue creeped out, because she remembered she had a husband, and she shouldn't be having "behind the scenes" PM relationships with anybody.

So she stops Chuck who thought he was being harmless, by telling him he's making her uncomfortable.  Chuck is mad because he was being harmless, and he's afraid that she'll spin on everybody that the opposite is true.  So he starts mocking her in public by saying that everything is "making him uncomfortable"...because if she was PM'ing him, why wouldn't she be PM'ing others about their PM's!!!

Jesus.  Anyways, here we are today, and we can see what happened and what didn't.

THE END
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2006, 12:04:43 PM »

I don't come into the sandbox that often because I like to keep my nose clean. If it wasn't for this topic, I could have been none the wiser to any of this of apparent controversy. As it is, it has nothing to do with me, so I don't give two bags of sh*t. I was never that fond of the "victim" to begin with, so I'll not spend much time, effort, or emotion, worrying about who is right or who is wrong in this situation.  It's cyberspace, for Christ's sake. Go outside and take a walk.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

gotta love the cliffnotes version better than all these pages Wink

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2006, 12:41:42 PM »

Yeah, move that post to a new topic line, The Short Version of what happened.

People can form online friendships, with instant messaging and daily PM's, that has nothing to do with sex or harassment or anything else.  It sounds like Charles thought that was what was going on.  But the bottom line is when someone tells you they're uncomfortable with something you're doing, you have to stop - and there's no point in defending yourself to that person, because being uncomfortable is subjective.  There's no logic involved.  To continue to make posts referring to being uncomfortable, and attacking the person's credibility regarding the previous incident with the Prof, is inappropriate.  You apologize and you stop, that's all.

That said, it seems this whole incident has been blown way out of proportion.  Internet drama for those who don't have enough drama in their real lives I gather.
asswax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2006, 12:53:47 PM »

I agree.  Everyday posts with a married member of the opposite sex?  Even if harmless, BAD IDEA.

I agree, it was the mocking that made Laurie finally come out and tell people about everything.  Mocking.  BAD IDEA.

I agree, BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION.

You kinda have to wonder what the motivation of someone is, when they blow things out of proportion.  Other things at work.  The animosity between Jon/John/Chuck, the deal with the Prof (whatever the hell that was...you see, you don't tell people things, they give things less credence...sorry!), the blind jokes, the photoshop pics, the deleted threads.....yadda yadda

Water under the bridge as long as it's clear that Chuck didn't rape or kill or threaten anybody. 

Laurie just got mad at being mocked (if no one knew about her telling Chuck she was uncomfortable about his daily PM's to her, then who would know Chuck was mocking her?).

Nobody's fault.  Somebody started throwing around terms like "sexual harrassment" though, and that is wrong.  BAD IDEA.  Show me the money, I'll show you there was no "sexual harrassment".  Just Chuck mocking someone, not taking someone seriously, and this other person getting mad about it...and getting revenge by having it be the last straw and inviting Jon/John to start a big ruckus and try to destroy this board they hate.

THE END
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »

that  sounds about right to me mikea...It's the fuckin Internet,I'd wager that half the people on it aren't who they claim to be,the Internet is FULL of wackos (It takes one to know one)...In spite of "her" avatar (which Charles sez he didn't notice) I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that "Laurie" was a lonely over weight white guy with little reason for living (like me)...Except there may be people who have met her IN PERSON, but how would we know for sure...I know I'm contributing to the sh*t but "BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION" barely scatches the surface...

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2006, 01:23:46 PM »

mikea, I would point out that the entire stream of PMs lasted maybe a few days, and were brief in nature, "hello, how are you" type things.  I didn't think it was inappropriate for either of us, spoused or otherwise.  I didn't even know she was married at the time.  That's why I was surprised when she announced she felt "uncomfortable."  And, when it stopped immediately, I was equally surprised to see it come up in conversations, over and over again, and see the story grow.  Now I see that apparently I have called her a "slut," which I never did, and I have said what happened with the Professor was all her fault, which I didn't.  Now it's said I was being "creepy."  And so on.

The complaints related to the "exodus" are fascinating.  It's bad that I have ever deleted a message thread, even though it was normal for message threads to be deleted on the Smile Shop board.  It's bad that I took proactive measures to make sure someone couldn't harass someone for months before being discovered, even though that lack of moderator action was part of what allowed the Professor to do what he did.  For many it appears it really boils down to this: me, this board and this site are going to be offensive by their very existence, no matter what has been said or done.  There have been efforts since the board started to encourage people to leave, and this is just the latest and best selling point.  I also notice Jeff's very good point about the wisdom of having an extended thread about me on a board I'm banned from was completely ignored.

Also, while I appreciate the support I've received, I wouldn't want anyone to make a decision about someone or something without adequate investigation.  I don't encourage anyone to say "so and so told me what happened, and that's good enough for me."  Friendship and loyalty are excellent traits, but you have to decide if an important conclusion should be based only upon what a friend told you or not.  Here again, which board on the internet to use or not use is not exactly an earth shattering decision.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:57:00 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2006, 01:26:24 PM »

Those PM's can be like playing with fire.  I would venture to say that many of the people who post here have had at least one somewhat regretable experience in the realm of pm's.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: