gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:09:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks interview in the latest Record Collector  (Read 30325 times)
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:30 AM »

There's a three page interview with yr man in the new issue of Record Collector, out this week in the UK. Smile is touched upon in the final couple of questions (on the imminent reissue, Parks says, "I'm happy just to see -finally- that Mike Love had learned to eat crow"), but the interview focusses on the series of 45s he's about to issue, on upcoming live shows, and the current political climate in the US. He also mentions that he's compiling a CD called "Arrangements", a "selection of collaborations which sit in ignominy in the Warners vault", which should be good.
It's a fantastic piece, and so refreshing to read an interview with someone of Parks' wit & intelligence.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »

There's a three page interview with yr man in the new issue of Record Collector, out this week in the UK. Smile is touched upon in the final couple of questions (on the imminent reissue, Parks says, "I'm happy just to see -finally- that Mike Love had learned to eat crow"), but the interview focusses on the series of 45s he's about to issue, on upcoming live shows, and the current political climate in the US. He also mentions that he's compiling a CD called "Arrangements", a "selection of collaborations which sit in ignominy in the Warners vault", which should be good.
It's a fantastic piece, and so refreshing to read an interview with someone of Parks' wit & intelligence.
...over and over the crow cries uncover the Lovester... Wink
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »

awesome quote. 
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »

You know what I find interesting? That Mike Love, the supposed devil, never really takes a lot of shots at VDP, yet every chance he gets, Van Dyke talks a bunch of sh*t about Mike Love.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »

You know what I find interesting? That Mike Love, the supposed devil, never really takes a lot of shots at VDP, yet every chance he gets, Van Dyke talks a bunch of merda about Mike Love.

Probably because Mike doesn't have to. Mike can laugh all the way to the bank. VDPs strikes me as a very well-mannered guy who doesn't think much of money or fame (heck, isn't he in overalls or a tux anytime a picture is taken of him?)....he doesn't seem like the type of person to hold a grudge for nothing....there's obviously a good reason for his annoyance.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »

I think VDP has other reasons to be annoyed at Mike - Saddling him with the bill for a private plane is an obviously dick move. And lest we forget, Mike Love is an ass.

I bet Parks has been saving the 'Eat Crow' line for fucking decades though   LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »

LOL that post made my day lol

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »

I think VDP has other reasons to be annoyed at Mike - Saddling him with the bill for a private plane is an obviously dick move. And lest we forget, Mike Love is an ass.

I bet Parks has been saving the 'Eat Crow' line for friggin' decades though   LOL
High Five Rock! Love Thumbs Up Hello w00t! Listening Drinking Buddies Kiss Evil
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:22 PM »

Parks is the modern day Mark Twain, he's a treasure of a lost era.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »

You know what I find interesting? That Mike Love, the supposed devil, never really takes a lot of shots at VDP, yet every chance he gets, Van Dyke talks a bunch of merda about Mike Love.

mike wouldn't exactly help his cause if he opened his mouth..again.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »

Love it.  (no pun intended)  Cool Guy
MBE
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »

I hear you.
Van Dyke just doesn't act classy when it comes to Mike. Don't care what Mike did or didn't do it's still not classy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:06:05 PM by MBE » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »

i think mike did his damage already.  Mike pretty much junked van dyke's work, that's a pretty personal attack.  van dyke can take his shots. 
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 11:45:44 PM »

he will...mark my words. it will be understated and harmless at this point, but with the media frenzy that will erupt over the summer, Mike won' t be able to resist.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 02:54:28 AM »

he will...mark my words. it will be understated and harmless at this point, but with the media frenzy that will erupt over the summer, Mike won' t be able to resist.
I can picture it now, Al, Brian, Bruce and Mike are atop Capitol Tower, there are film cameras and interviewers, about halfway through something snaps in Mike, he says something like 'And I still don't know what that line means!', Brian walks out, uses his veto and SMiLE is never heard of again....  LOL
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:21 AM »

Hopefully he won't get after Brian and VDP but will return to his celebrated RR HOF commentary on Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger. LOL
oldsurferdude
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »

I hear you.
Van Dyke just doesn't act classy when it comes to Mike. Don't care what Mike did or didn't do it's still not classy.
Van Dyke is excused when commenting on someone with absolutely no class. Razz
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »

I think VDP cares so much that he carried his bitternes towards Mike for decades. He has not many nice things to say about Brian's music either. He's not a fan of Brian's music and Brian's not a fan of VDP's.

Truth is ML sang the hell out of VDP's lines. There are records that attest to it... And his Cabinessence vocals were heard by the public as early as 1969, so probably it's time Van Dyke moves on. The airplane incident sounds like one of those VDP stories to me: entertaining fiction with a touch of reality. Like the story about Lennon's remarks on ML.

Maybe there was a reason for Brian's speech at Ringo's b-day.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »

He has not many nice things to say about Brian's music either. He's not a fan of Brian's music

Huh?  In every interview I've ever seen, VDP is effusive in his praise of Brian Wilson's musical genius.  Sure, he has taken a few shots at the other Beach Boys for wanting to stick to the cars-and-girls formula,  but with regards to Brian, he's been uniformly positive.  Show me something negative he ever said about Brian's music.

I can't really blame VDP for carrying a grudge.  Remember "The Beach Boys: An American Family" made-for-television movie?  

Gee, if I were portrayed negatively and falsely in a major network television movie... and my name were mentioned 7 or 8 times... and I had to get a lawyer and threaten to sue unless they would change the name of "my" character, I think I'd be a little upset, too.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »

What did VDP say about Lennon and Mike Love? Can't be anyworse than being called an All American Bullet-headed Saxon Mother's Son.  Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 12:47:28 PM »

On the contrary, I think Mike sounds quite bored, or indifferent, singing the ooh, three or four portions of Smile he gets solo spots on (The Cantina, Crow, the shared H&V verse, sunny down snuff, and some others I've probably forgotten)? Probably doing it at the insistence of Brian.
His bass singing is, as usual, tiptop, but he is really not bringing it on those leads.

And if you were Van Dyke, wouldn't you be mad? Here is a struggling songwriter, given the chance to write for the most successful young man in American pop music, with the success, acclaim, and all the rest that that entails, and the chance slips by because there is resistance in the band (I know there are other factors, mostly Brian's mental state) making things difficult. That's how he calls it. He has to leave. And he gradually sees the Beach Boys (and he works in the periphery for quite some time), who he personally witnessed as being on the cusp of something amazing, slowly twist and turn into a very sad affair, with dwindling musical/commercial stakes. And he sees Mike Love happy and Brian, well, not. In simplistic terms. I can understand wholly why VDP would be mad at Mike. Hell, sometimes I'm mad at him!

Not only did Mike Love stiff VDP with the bill for a private plane (and VDP is nowhere near a rich man), he also bloody assassinated his character in that TV show. And, i repeat, Mike Love is an ass! A great singer, talented (if limited) writer, and I don't wish he was still pumping gas, but still. The man is an ass.

The Lennon story is in here, I think http://www.vandykeparks.com/miscfiles/latimes0004.html. I also distinctly recall in one Beatles bio Paul or George recalling that he took lots of contraband with him to sell to fellow meditators in Rishikesh.....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:50:46 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »

Thanks hypehat. This is news to me.  Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »

On the contrary, I think Mike sounds quite bored, or indifferent, singing the ooh, three or four portions of Smile he gets solo spots on (The Cantina, Crow, the shared H&V verse, sunny down snuff, and some others I've probably forgotten)? Probably doing it at the insistence of Brian.
His bass singing is, as usual, tiptop, but he is really not bringing it on those leads.

And if you were Van Dyke, wouldn't you be mad? Here is a struggling songwriter, given the chance to write for the most successful young man in American pop music, with the success, acclaim, and all the rest that that entails, and the chance slips by because there is resistance in the band (I know there are other factors, mostly Brian's mental state) making things difficult. That's how he calls it. He has to leave. And he gradually sees the Beach Boys (and he works in the periphery for quite some time), who he personally witnessed as being on the cusp of something amazing, slowly twist and turn into a very sad affair, with dwindling musical/commercial stakes. And he sees Mike Love happy and Brian, well, not. In simplistic terms. I can understand wholly why VDP would be mad at Mike. Hell, sometimes I'm mad at him!

Not only did Mike Love stiff VDP with the bill for a private plane (and VDP is nowhere near a rich man), he also bloody assassinated his character in that TV show. And, i repeat, Mike Love is an ass! A great singer, talented (if limited) writer, and I don't wish he was still pumping gas, but still. The man is an ass.

The Lennon story is in here, I think http://www.vandykeparks.com/miscfiles/latimes0004.html. I also distinctly recall in one Beatles bio Paul or George recalling that he took lots of contraband with him to sell to fellow meditators in Rishikesh.....

Post of the day, without question.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »

Why I oughta....  Grin

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »

I hear you.

i think van dyke handles it in a pretty classy way.  Has he ever actually called mike names?  that'd be unclassy.  and he doesn't here.  Y'know what i doubt mike has EVER done?  that would probably fix all of this?  mike apologize to van dyke. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx