-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:57:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Questions about Audacity.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions about Audacity.  (Read 14880 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »

I have a few questions about Audacity and I was hoping somebody could help.

1. Once you save an Audacity file, how do you convert it to something like Winamp, or an AVI. file?

2. I was playing around with "panning" between the left and right channels. I noticed on a recording that there are certain instrument and vocal elements that are only on one particular channel. My question is, how do you take one channel of a song(the left, for an example) and move it to the other side(the right)? In other words, I want to be able to hear a specific channel of a song, but on both the left and right speakers playing simultaneously. Is there even way to do that with Audacity?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »

1. You want to export the file to be able to save it as any file format that isnt Audacity's.

2. You can highlight the whole channel, copy it, and paste it on a new mono track.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »

1. You want to export the file to be able to save it as any file format that isnt Audacity's.

2. You can highlight the whole channel, copy it, and paste it on a new mono track.
Thank you! I just tried to extract and it worked.  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:19:52 AM »

Could you try to explain a little more clearly on how I paste it on a new mono track? I copied the specific channel I want. But I'm stuck on what to do next. Where do I go(edit, view, transport, etc)?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:50:01 AM »

Make a new mono track, then paste your copied audio into that. Simple.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »

But how do I make a new mono track?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »

In my latest copy of Audacity, it's under Tracks>Make New. but in older ones, it's under Project iirc

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 01:29:17 AM »

The track that I'm using is stereo and it is telling me copying a mono track to stereo isn't allowed.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 04:58:50 AM »

well, no - I don't think Audacity can divide it against itself... The result would be something like duophonic, right?

In response to your initial question, Split your stereo track. Now, there should one marked left, and the other right. Click on the dropdown menu on the track, and instead of Left make it Mono. Delete or mute your other track.... If you want it 'stereo', instead of making it mono, duplicate it and turn the duplicate to Right....

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »

well, no - I don't think Audacity can divide it against itself... The result would be something like duophonic, right?

In response to your initial question, Split your stereo track. Now, there should one marked left, and the other right. Click on the dropdown menu on the track, and instead of Left make it Mono. Delete or mute your other track.... If you want it 'stereo', instead of making it mono, duplicate it and turn the duplicate to Right....
I can't get the split function to highlight to be able to click on it. I can do "split new", but the new track is the left one, just like the first file.

Edit: I just now got the split function button to work, but when I click it absolutely nothing happens.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:44:09 PM by Jay » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:25 PM »

I figured it out!!  Grin Thanks a bunch for all the help!!  Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:38:06 PM »

I have one more question about Audacity. Let's say that there is a recording with an equal amount of vocal and instrumentation on each channel. Is there a way to totally remove the vocals of a track, and keep the music? Whenever I hit the mute button, it mutes the entire track. Or can it be done in Adobe Audition?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »

I can't get the split function to highlight to be able to click on it. I can do "split new", but the new track is the left one, just like the first file.

Edit: I just now got the split function button to work, but when I click it absolutely nothing happens.
Ok, I did it once before a few days ago...so why can't I do it now? lol

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 05:06:45 AM »

Because Audacity rarely operates on reason or rhyme?  Grin

I don't know about your new query - you could try making it Out Of Phase, i suppose. which I think you can do with a click in the latest version - vocal remover, or somesuch.

Alternately, split your stereo track ( i think you got confused last time, as theres the dropdown menus on the top of the window, but I meant the one on the track itself - that little arrow).

Make both mono, on the same dropdown menu.

Then select one track and invert it - voila, you have  removed yr centre channel and hopefully a big chunk of vocals. Although this is rarely perfect.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:09:59 PM »

Oh, perhaps I should mention that I'm using Audacity 1.3 Beta, if that makes any difference.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »

Because Audacity rarely operates on reason or rhyme?  Grin

I don't know about your new query - you could try making it Out Of Phase, i suppose. which I think you can do with a click in the latest version - vocal remover, or somesuch.

Alternately, split your stereo track ( i think you got confused last time, as theres the dropdown menus on the top of the window, but I meant the one on the track itself - that little arrow).

Make both mono, on the same dropdown menu.

Then select one track and invert it - voila, you have  removed yr centre channel and hopefully a big chunk of vocals. Although this is rarely perfect.
OK, I gave up on Audacity.  Grin I managed to do what I wanted using Cool Edit Pro...and the damn time limit for saving files expired on my demo version. I have the greatest luck.  Roll Eyes

I'm confused about when you said split the track. I have two options, "split new" and "split". I did "split" and absolutely nothing happens. If I click "split new", it creates a new track...but it's just an empty space. No file is there.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 04:07:01 AM »

It's an option on the track itself, not on the menu across the top! Click on the arrow just by the name of the track....

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

It's an option on the track itself, not on the menu across the top! Click on the arrow just by the name of the track....
*deleted*
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:52:07 PM by Jay » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »

Ok, I split the track on the drop down menu, but they are both marked as the right channel.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »

Get back in that  dropdown menu, should be able to change that! Options for Left, Right, or Mono...

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »

Ok, let's start at the beginning*. When I load the file into Audacity, I go into the "drop down menu" and split the track? Do I have to "highlight" file file first, before I do anything?

*I'm sorry if I'm bugging the hell out of you by now.  Grin

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »

You can post me a beer if this gets REALLY out of hand  Grin

Yeah! We're talking a stereo track into two mono tracks, right? If, for some reason, both of them claim they are right channel, you can change that in the same menu again.... What next?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »

What I would like to do is take the right channel of the recording and move it to the left side, so you hear music coming from the left and right speaker, but only the right channel. I panned the track to the right channel and saved the file. Should I use that file, or use the original? I'm using the "right channel only" version I saved last night. Anyway, I load the file in Audacity and "highlight" it. I then go into the little drop down menu on the file itself, and not the one at the top of the page, right? I clicked on "Split Stereo Track" It is now showing two files, and both are panned to the right side. Now what? I tried panning one of the files to the left side, and then muted the channel. I'm stuck on what to do next. Have I done it right so far?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »

"What I would like to do is take the right channel of the recording and move it to the left side, so you hear music coming from the left and right speaker, but only the right channel."

If I parse this correctly,you can use that same little drop-down menu to take your single, right channel track and make it mono, hence it comes out both speakers. Either delete or mute the left channel.

Just to clarify, when i say it's labelled left right or mono i'm talking about the little dialogue just under the name of the track, not the panning dial - that will stay central despite the track only playing out of the right speaker, in a spectacular feat of logic.

I'm kinda confused as to why both are coming out as 'right channel' when you make the split, though - are you panning the Stereo track to the hard right before splitting? It should become two tracks, one marked 'left' and the other 'right'....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:37:49 AM by hypehat » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »

"What I would like to do is take the right channel of the recording and move it to the left side, so you hear music coming from the left and right speaker, but only the right channel."

If I parse this correctly,you can use that same little drop-down menu to take your single, right channel track and make it mono, hence it comes out both speakers. Either delete or mute the left channel.

Just to clarify, when i say it's labelled left right or mono i'm talking about the little dialogue just under the name of the track, not the panning dial - that will stay central despite the track only playing out of the right speaker, in a spectacular feat of logic.

I'm kinda confused as to why both are coming out as 'right channel' when you make the split, though - are you panning the Stereo track to the hard right before splitting? It should become two tracks, one marked 'left' and the other 'right'....
I can see in the drop down menu an option to make the track mono, but for some reason it is not highlighted, so clicking it does nothing. There is also an option to "split stereo track to mono".

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: