gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681026 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 07:29:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rhapsody in Blue & Heroes & Villains connection??  (Read 1738 times)
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:31:30 PM »

Morning all, I was listening to both of these over the past few days and it made me wonder if it's possible musically speaking, To edit the two great song pieces together using some of the many sections of H&V dropped into Rhapsody In Blue. I loved it when in the Beautiful Dreamer DVD Brian was playing Rhapsody In Blue then dropped into the playing Heroes & Villains!!!.
Maybe I may try to play around with the two songs myself but whenever I set about some time to music or video edit "Real life" takes me away boo hoo, So does anyone else wanna try this??.
Any themes or parts from Rhapsody in Blue within any Beach Boys songs??.
Just how important is Rhapsody in Blue to Brian apart from him hearing it at a very young age?.
Any links or connections with Brian Wilson's life and George Gershwin??.
Hope some of you know some answers many thanks.
To anyone living in London or the surrounding area enjoy this rare bit of Sun this weekend Grin.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:11:58 PM »

I've always thought the horn lines to the Heroes and Villains verses (and the trombone intro) have a very Gershwin-y feel to them, if not necessarily a direct quote of any of his melodic ideas.

This essay-interview with Peter Reum is a great read if you want an idea of Rhapsody in Blue's importance to Brian, as well as how Smile is inspired by it.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »

I just now realised as I was reading this how much portions of "the pretty part"* of Rhapsody in Blue sound like the Bicycle Rider theme. Or possibly the other way around.  Grin

*Gotta love those Brianism's.  Wink

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »

Thanks Guys for the info. Anymore answers please from anyone??. It's such an important piece for Brian and the music of the Beach Boys it needs more answers and digging around Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:56:17 AM »

I just now realised as I was reading this how much portions of "the pretty part"* of Rhapsody in Blue sound like the Bicycle Rider theme. Or possibly the other way around.  Grin

*Gotta love those Brianism's.  Wink

Wow, I never heard that before. That's also really weird, because they don't 'move' the same harmonically, it's all about the feel. That damn Wilson....

I always used to refer to it as 'the pretty part' before i heard Brian say it!  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:34:26 AM »

Sorry to ask this if you think I'm silly but what "Pretty parts" do you guys mean??? If you could write down the "Pretty parts" in words the best you can I would be most grateful cheers Smiley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:44:39 AM »

Sorry to ask this if you think I'm silly but what "Pretty parts" do you guys mean??? If you could write down the "Pretty parts" in words the best you can I would be most grateful cheers Smiley

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »

It's the bit Brian covers in the 'Intro/Reprise' parts of his Gershwin record. Y'know, the 'pretty' part of Rhapsody In Blue!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »

My youtube videos have been taken down and it was the "Do you like worms" by Ant Bee that did it it was taken down by brother records!!! My last two videos has been taken down by Ricky Gervais!!! Damn I was expecting this to happen but it still hurts Sad
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 09:17:05 AM »

Here today gone tomorrow and what the hell? Life's a beach lol Smiley
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »

if life gives you crackers, make cracker jacks.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx