gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:40:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Mystery  (Read 73210 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »

I mean, what's next to Pet Sounds ? "Tracks" ?  Come ONGrin

I think "Tracks" is supposed to be "Stack o' Tracks".

What if "Robert Rolle" is meant to be a joke name playing on the words "Rock and Roll"?

The only thing is I can't come up with anything that sounds like "Paul Bramsem"!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »

Maybe Paul Bramsem is an anagram for the REAL killer  Shocked

http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Paul+Bramsem&t=1000&a=n

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »

This is definitely a fascinating mystery.  The shelving support boards look like 4 x 4's and 2 x 4’s, which have actual dimensions of of 3.5 x 3.5 inches, and 1.5 x 3.5 inches.  Measuring those boards in the photo and extrapolating, the tape boxes in question are the size used for 10.5 x 0.5 inch reel to reel tape.  Consumer grade reel to reel tape was only 0.25 inches wide, on either a 7 inch or 10.5 inch reel, with 7 inch being far more common.

Half inch wide tape on a 10.5 inch reel, as we appear to have here, (assuming there are, in fact, reel of tape inside the boxes), could be recorded with up to 8 or 16 tracks.

As bgas pointed out earlier, the tapes on the far left appear to be commercial releases in 7 inch boxes.  On the far right we see a small bottle that may be tape head cleaner.  This definitely doesn’t look like an official archive vault, and it contains (or is made to look like it contains) stuff from both the Capitol and Brother/Reprise eras.  

I do find it interesting that while we see tape boxes labeled “Vegetables” and “Brian – Dumb Angel”, there is nothing labeled “Smile”.  Seems like a fan making a recreation would want to have at least one box labeled with that legendary title, but since Smile never saw release, perhaps they decided to go with the reels labeled “Vegetables”, “Brian”, and “Brain – Dumb Angel”.

EDIT - On closer inspection, I see that most of the tape boxes, especially on the top shelf, are thinner boxes which would have been used for quarter inch reels, while others, especially on the second shelf, are wider and would have been used for half inch reels.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:28:34 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »

^ LOL I love how that went nowhere, just like this thread.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »

Maybe Paul Bramsem is an anagram for the REAL killer  Shocked

http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Paul+Bramsem&t=1000&a=n

There's just TOO many possibilities here.  
I didn't check them all, tho I think  " A Marble Sump" is probably the best explanation
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:00:38 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »

This search should be taken to social media really.
I'd recommend putting up ads on the LA craigslist asking for information. Maybe you'll stumble upon some guy who had a friend of a friend who used to brag about having stolen tapes or something.
It seems like the best option.
I did a search on Facebook.  Grin I found SEVERAL people by the name of Robert Rolle.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »

There's a Paul Bramsen Sr. on Facebook who hails from St. Paul Minnesota. I'm putting the money on him. Who's gonna have the sack to Friend him?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:45:35 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »

There's a Paul Bramsen Sr. on Facebook who hails from St. Paul Minnesota. I'm putting the money on him. Who's gonna have the sack to Friend him?
I decided to take a chance.  Grin This is what I sent to Paul Bramsen Sr. from Minnesota:

Mr Bramsen,
                   I know that this is going to seem very strange to you, but bare with me for a moment. My question to you is, having you ever had any kind of music background?
                  Thank you for your time,
                      Jason

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »

I decided to take a chance.  Grin This is what I sent to Paul Bramsen Sr. from Minnesota:

Mr Bramsen,
                   I know that this is going to seem very strange to you, but bare with me for a moment. My question to you is, having you ever had any kind of music background?
                  Thank you for your time,
                      Jason

Gee I hope he doesn't think you're some kind of pervert that wants to get naked( bare) with him. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »

Hey Ed
When/how did this polaroid come into your possession?
Thankee!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »

Just my personal opinions...

1. I don't think it's a fan faked picture.  The simple mistakes prevent that.  They wouldn't 'not' put a SMiLE album, and they wouldn't have written just "tracks" instead of "Stack of tracks" or whatever, it'd be more nerdy.  This is too sloppy. 

2. I think the St. Paul thing is the key, there's nobody alive that would track down a recording of specifically St. Paul if they didn't live there.  Sorry to Minnsota, but it's true.

Since it thanks Brian specifically, I'll bet he could figure it out if he could be bothered to think about it for more than 10 seconds.  Hell for all we know it could be some crazy ass story where he let some guy make a bunch of copies of the tapes to play at his skating rink or something. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »

I need to clarify - the picture's not faked... but what's in the picture almost certainly - 99.99% in my mind - is.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »

I think that "Dumb Angel" might be a clue. From what I've read, this was a working title for a very short period. Did any studio sessions actually take place when it was still called "Dumb Angel"? Were any studio tape boxes ever labled as "Dumb Angel"?

XY
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »

Perhaps some of the live tapes are from the Beachago tours?
Did Guercio play St. Paul with the BB in 1974?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »

I think that "Dumb Angel" might be a clue. From what I've read, this was a working title for a very short period. Did any studio sessions actually take place when it was still called "Dumb Angel"? Were any studio tape boxes ever labled as "Dumb Angel"?

No, and no... but then, none of the individual tracks was ever labelled Smile either: that's why I'm leery - all the hallmarks of an inside joke.

As to why do it, well, back in the last century, a couple of European fans made a scale model of the Bellagio house and incorporated a Smile shop into the back: compared to the work that went into something like that, bolting a few shelves together and mocking up some edge strips on tape boxes would be simplicity itself.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2011, 11:45:11 PM »

Perhaps some of the live tapes are from the Beachago tours?
Did Guercio play St. Paul with the BB in 1974?

Beachago tour was 1975.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 12:03:06 AM »

I think the solution is simple: inter-dimensional beings are among us. They took a picture of the tape vaults of their dimension's Beach Boys, a group which kept their vaults well organized, realeased an album called "Add Some Music", had their leader Brian release a solo called "Dumb Angel", and put out a much loved live album culled from recordings made in St. Paul Minnesota (whose baseball team The Twins have won the World Series a record 43 times).

Robert Rolle and Paul Bramsem are also solely responsible for the Sea of Tunes boots.  Cool Guy
While I think the parallel universe theory is the most likely one Roll Eyes, I tend to agree that this might be a bootleggers' "vault" containing copied tapes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:14:31 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 12:30:18 AM »

I think the solution is simple: inter-dimensional beings are among us. They took a picture of the tape vaults of their dimension's Beach Boys, a group which kept their vaults well organized, realeased an album called "Add Some Music", had their leader Brian release a solo called "Dumb Angel", and put out a much loved live album culled from recordings made in St. Paul Minnesota (whose baseball team The Twins have won the World Series a record 43 times).

Robert Rolle and Paul Bramsem are also solely responsible for the Sea of Tunes boots.  Cool Guy
While I think the parallel universe theory is the most likely one Roll Eyes, I tend to agree that this might be a bootleggers' "vault" containing copied tapes.

Bootleggers who had access to not only the Capitol vault but also the Brother facility, not to mention the relevant equipment to play and copy the tapes.  Someone said to me that this might be the SOT vault, but several factors rule that out, notably the presence of post 20/20 material and the very fact that these are boxes for 'normal' tape reels (the SOT material was on something else entirely)

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2011, 01:39:47 AM »

A few points regarding Ed's photo.

Sunflower and beyond tell me these are not the SOT tapes. Besides one reel at 15 inches per second is about 30 minutes long and the SOT boots are much longer in length. So much for that notion. If it was a shot of the SOT tapes, Sacramento is not present, yet, St. Paul is, which is not a SOT boot. Still at 7 1/2 IPS, each reel would still only be less than 60 minutes.

I'm also thinking the photo itself is not of 1970's vintage.
Polaroids of that era have a tendency to fade, they are also not terribly sharp and this Polaroid has all kinds of detail.
Just some food for thought.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:29 AM »

Bootleggers who had access to not only the Capitol vault but also the Brother facility, not to mention the relevant equipment to play and copy the tapes.  Someone said to me that this might be the SOT vault, but several factors rule that out, notably the presence of post 20/20 material and the very fact that these are boxes for 'normal' tape reels (the SOT material was on something else entirely)

I recall that the SOT stuff was on high quality video tape.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2011, 02:39:54 AM »

Hi, I've been following this forum for a while and I thought I'd bring my 2c

I messed about with the picture a little in a photo editing program.

To my eyes, the top plaque (is it a plaque ? the metal thing anyway) reads:

Sound System
Robert P. Rolle

I don't know if that's worth mentioning but I thought I'd bring it up
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2011, 03:22:58 AM »

Anyone else  beginning to think Robert Rolle and Paul Bramsen are buried underneath that shelving? This is getting creepy, these obsessive fans - sheesh!

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2011, 04:00:36 AM »

Anyone else  beginning to think Robert Rolle and Paul Bramsen are buried underneath that shelving? This is getting creepy, these obsessive fans - sheesh!

LOL

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2011, 04:32:59 AM »

Bootleggers who had access to not only the Capitol vault but also the Brother facility, not to mention the relevant equipment to play and copy the tapes.  Someone said to me that this might be the SOT vault, but several factors rule that out, notably the presence of post 20/20 material and the very fact that these are boxes for 'normal' tape reels (the SOT material was on something else entirely)

I recall that the SOT stuff was on high quality video tape.

In court, they'd call that "guilty knowledge".   Wink

BTW, for those saying maybe the Dumb Angel box contains the 1972 comp tapes... Steve Desper says this is a fake: that's the Steve Desper responsible for those comp tapes.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:35:16 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 06:35:34 AM »

Presence of thermometer (fringing R) seems to suggest that it's either a temp-controlled storage facility or masquerading as one.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx