gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:49:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Mystery  (Read 73248 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 11, 2011, 03:44:13 AM »

Just used a brilliant application called TinEye to search the entire interweb for Ed's image.

This software compares images on billions of pages to the image you've asked it to look for, and reports it to you. Photographers use it to check for copyright infringements.

It occurred to me that if someone had rigged this as a fake, then it might have been posted on a blog or another website somewhere, that might give us a clue.

www.tineye.com

It didn't find the image though.  And when you think about it, as Ed's had the original for many years, it'll predate digital scanning so there's no way it could be anywhere else online.

I'll go back to work now, as I have the feeling you're all going "phoooeee" and turning away from the screen.

Worth using again though occasionally as the results won't necessarily be the same again.  Especially as it didn't even manage to find the image(s) in this thread.  Yet.

What might be out there could be another similar-but-not-precisely-the-same image taken at the same time -  the slight differences would prevent TinyEye from finding it.

I'll leave it to AGD to spell out the moral of this tale.  Which is something like "don't go on the hill without a proper map and compass -  don't rely on GPS and other forms of technology to get you home."

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: April 11, 2011, 03:57:48 AM »

Just used a brilliant application called TinEye to search the entire interweb for Ed's image.

This software compares images on billions of pages to the image you've asked it to look for, and reports it to you. Photographers use it to check for copyright infringements.

It occurred to me that if someone had rigged this as a fake, then it might have been posted on a blog or another website somewhere, that might give us a clue.

www.tineye.com

It didn't find the image though.  And when you think about it, as Ed's had the original for many years, it'll predate digital scanning so there's no way it could be anywhere else online.

I'll go back to work now, as I have the feeling you're all going "phoooeee" and turning away from the screen.

Worth using again though occasionally as the results won't necessarily be the same again.  Especially as it didn't even manage to find the image(s) in this thread.  Yet.

What might be out there could be another similar-but-not-precisely-the-same image taken at the same time -  the slight differences would prevent TinyEye from finding it.

I'll leave it to AGD to spell out the moral of this tale.  Which is something like "don't go on the hill without a proper map and compass -  don't rely on GPS and other forms of technology to get you home."

Personally, I use a very big ball of string, one end tied to my front door handle.

That was an excellent idea. It just didn't work... but in the future, it may,

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 11, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »

Andrew you have such a strange view on this.  I don't know why you won't even allow for the possibility that these are anything but empty boxes, lol.  It's amazing.

Earlier in the thread, you said one gentleman probably thinks the moon landings were faked.  All we have to prove the moon landings weren't faked are videotapes.  Why do you believe that, but don't believe this?  It's kind of strange that you're so hard core against this being anything interesting at all.

Andrew; have you forgotten how to dream?  Smiley

I have to take serious objection to this allegation. The evidence for Apollo is the most documented project in history. The documentation began with the formation of NACA and follows through to this day.

The evidence for the moon landings is so great that I have staked my entire professional career on it. Have you done the same?

The sad _fact_ is that the ravings of some intentionally and unintentionally deluded folk has permeated enough into pop culture that such musing are becoming the "norm".

I haver researched more about Apollo than you probably ever wikll in your entire life. I have spoken in-person with not only the Apollo astronauts, but with tracking station personel and third party enthusiasts who tracked the missions as well.

Imagine you have just spent 5 years writing about about a particular topoic. Now imagine you hear someone say that all you have written is bunk and then use a false argument to make that statement. Do you smile and say, wow that is some jolly wit, or do you argue your point?

Sorry to derail. Steerin g back on track, no cassette tape taken on the lunar missions ever had any BB material on it.

With all due respect, maybe you ought to calm the f*** down a little bit. 
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »

I think you should re-read the post and show some respect.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »

The more I think about, the more I remember seeing this picture on the internet many years ago(1998-ish), and also remember reading that there was definite proof that the picture was an elaborate hoax. Do I remember what the proof was? No. Do I remember the name of the website, or the URL of the website? Sadly, the answer again is no. It seems to me that it may  have been a website that hasn't survived the test of time. Back to square one, I guess. Sorry guys.  Undecided

You're just a big tease, ain'tcha ?  Razz
I learn from the best.  Razz

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »

The more I think about, the more I remember seeing this picture on the internet many years ago(1998-ish), and also remember reading that there was definite proof that the picture was an elaborate hoax. Do I remember what the proof was? No. Do I remember the name of the website, or the URL of the website? Sadly, the answer again is no. It seems to me that it may  have been a website that hasn't survived the test of time. Back to square one, I guess. Sorry guys.  Undecided

You're just a big tease, ain'tcha ?  Razz
I learn from the best.  Razz

Touché.  Grin

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »

Andrew you have such a strange view on this.  I don't know why you won't even allow for the possibility that these are anything but empty boxes, lol.  It's amazing.

Earlier in the thread, you said one gentleman probably thinks the moon landings were faked.  All we have to prove the moon landings weren't faked are videotapes.  Why do you believe that, but don't believe this?  It's kind of strange that you're so hard core against this being anything interesting at all.

Andrew; have you forgotten how to dream?  Smiley

Not going to happen.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2011, 03:45:52 AM »

Word back from Dan. Same as David. Oh well, we tried...

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:54 PM »

Exclusive photo of the real 'Smile' tapes

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2011, 04:20:05 PM »

Is it from the same boxes as this?

http://www.bradcoweb.com/smile/musical.htm
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »

Looks like a car tire.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »

I believe it was used as a spare on Dennyʻs Go-Cart

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2011, 07:41:22 PM »

I don't think it could have been a go-cart tire, don't ypou see how bad it's shredding? 
It's much more likely to have seen drag strip use, possibly on the Beach Boys/ Smothers brothers car...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 14, 2011, 01:07:06 AM »

I don't think it could have been a go-cart tire, don't ypou see how bad it's shredding? 
It's much more likely to have seen drag strip use, possibly on the Beach Boys/ Smothers brothers car...

More like what the tapes looks liked after Jack Rieley monkey'd with Smile.

Or, yeah, a drag strip.  Roll Eyes

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 14, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »

Looks like a car tire.  Grin

I hope nobody minds but I've emailed the pic to "Positraction" Pete, who worked in a number of LA repair shops in the early to mid 1960s. There's just a chance that he worked on one of Denny's recreational vehicular transportation modules and might remember fitting this tyre.

That, or the box, which doesn't quite strike me as a standard tyre box from that era.

Judging by the other tyre boxes in the background, I'm beginning to wonder if someone might have rigged up a mock garage store room to fake a photograph that would throw us Tread Heads into spasms of incredulity.

Edit: Oooops, almost forgot:   Grin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:18:22 AM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: April 14, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »

Exclusive photo of the real 'Smile' tapes

Scotch 201

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »

Side question: in that photo (not this photo, or that other photo) of the spines of the tape boxes, what's 'Endless Sleep'?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2011, 07:32:40 AM »

Side question: in that photo (not this photo, or that other photo) of the spines of the tape boxes, what's 'Endless Sleep'?

A track Brian produced for Larry Denton, 2/18/64 at Gold Star. Why is it in the middle of a row of Smile tapes ?  The answer is as odd as it is unlikely: said tape boxes were at Mark's studio during the prep for the 1993 box set, and someone had the bright idea of taking a photo of a bunch of Smile tapes for the booklet, so they scooped the boxes from the floor. Unfortunately, a couple of earlier boxes got included, hence the presence of "Endless Sleep" and that well-known Smile outtake, "Sacremento Remote".  Smiley

Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »

Grazie mille, Andreo. You da uomo.

Given the stack of unlikelies that domino to explain that pic, how improbable might the similar conditions be for the subject of this thread? Anything up to and including 'the shelves evolved the tapes naturally through the action of the rain and the wind' might seem plausible.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »

What is the origin of this image?  Legit?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:25:39 PM by AvanTodd » Logged
Jason
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

It looks like a legitimate "Image Hosted by Tripod" image.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »

Hmm, it was working before.  Fixed it anyway.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »

30 Yrs Good Vibrations box booklet.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »

[Sigh]

That's the photo we were just discussing.  Huh

?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »

[Sigh]

That's the photo we were just discussing.  Huh

Yeah, that makes sense now. Thud

Never seen the box set booklet.  I only own the the cd with the Smile tracks.  Thanks guys.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx