gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:28:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Boxset - Hidden tracks?  (Read 10481 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »

Hello everyone. I am a long time SMilE lover and sometime browser of this board. The excited news has prompted many a first time poster I would imagine.

Anyhow - From the 93 boxset through to each new compilation, we have got used to the hidden tracks at the end of the disks. I wonder what surprises we have coming on the new boxset. What do people hope will be there?

Personally I would love to hear the Truck Driving Man vocal isolated. Maybe it's been on a boot, but I've never heard it. Maybe it doesn't even exist as a multitrack, but I'm really hoping it's there (Mark- if you're reading!)

Take care folks
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »

Personally I would love to hear the Truck Driving Man vocal isolated.

That would be a great hidden track!

I'd like to see an a cappella version of 'Wonderful' outro one of the discs.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »

Personally I would love to hear the Truck Driving Man vocal isolated.

That would be a great hidden track!

Indeed !

The Hawthorne-set had a acapella Boys-Girls-part from Heroes & Villains as a hidden track. whic was very beautiful.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »

I'd second that re: the "Truck Driving Man" vocals.   As well I'd love to have a good selection of 'studio chat' bits (maybe that would be included with the sessions).   Things like the Smog Rant and the Vegetables Arguments and all the weird little chants Brian did with his friends - an edited version of the Smile Era Party might be cool too.   It'd be nice to have the Smile promo too.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »

Indeed !

The Hawthorne-set had a acapella Boys-Girls-part from Heroes & Villains as a hidden track. whic was very beautiful.

My current ringtone. :D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 06:24:12 PM »

Indeed !

My current ringtone. :D

Do you know what track that it is on? (I want to download it) Thanks!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »

The very last track of disc 2. But buy the set, man! It's out of print, still worth the cash. A wonderful comp.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »

The very last track of disc 2. But buy the set, man! It's out of print, still worth the cash. A wonderful comp.

haha I know I should! Money is tight, and any money spent on the Beach Boys will be for the box set. Damn you Capitalism!! *shaking fist at the air* LOL

Thanks for the info, btw!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 03:05:34 AM »

Hello everyone. I am a long time SMilE lover and sometime browser of this board. The excited news has prompted many a first time poster I would imagine.

Anyhow - From the 93 boxset through to each new compilation, we have got used to the hidden tracks at the end of the disks. I wonder what surprises we have coming on the new boxset. What do people hope will be there?

Personally I would love to hear the Truck Driving Man vocal isolated. Maybe it's been on a boot, but I've never heard it. Maybe it doesn't even exist as a multitrack, but I'm really hoping it's there (Mark- if you're reading!)

Take care folks

Can anyone tell me just what Dennis is singing there? I have listened to that section over and over again on earphones trying to pick it out but to no avail.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 06:05:43 AM »

Can anyone tell me just what Dennis is singing there? I have listened to that section over and over again on earphones trying to pick it out but to no avail.

www.surfermoon.com (lyrics-section)

Truck driving man do what you can
High-tail your load off the road
Out of night-life-it's a gas man
I don't believe I gotta grieve
In and out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
In the vast past, the last gasp
In the land, in the dust, trust that you must
Catch as catch can

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »

I think a vocal only of Dennis on You Are My Sunshine would be a breathtaking hidden track....if only it were possible.  I understand the only mix with his vocal was found on an acetate, right?
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »

I think a vocal only of Dennis on You Are My Sunshine would be a breathtaking hidden track....if only it were possible.  I understand the only mix with his vocal was found on an acetate, right?

I hadn't realized that those vocals were only on an acetate, but oddly enough, knowing it gives me a lot of hope for un-booted stuff, because there you have a real life example of a missing lead vocal sourced only from an acetate.  In what universe would it make sense to delete that vocal off the multi-track?  But if that acetate had remained in the hands of, say, Bruce or Al or Van Dyke Park's ex wife, all we'd have now would be a sort of incomplete sounding instrumental take and a vague rumor that maybe Dennis was supposed to sing it...  It's a weirdly optimistic moment for me!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »

This is more accurate:

Out of night-life-I'm a gas man
I'm out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
Ride (Write?) in the dust, trust what you must
Catch as catch can

Please Mention if you need a better listen to this part.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »

And the award goes to..... Todd.

*applause*

Grin
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »

This is more accurate:

I'm out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
Catch as catch can

Perhaps maybe I could use a better listen to the section in question...

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »

I hadn't realized that those vocals were only on an acetate, but oddly enough, knowing it gives me a lot of hope for un-booted stuff, because there you have a real life example of a missing lead vocal sourced only from an acetate.  In what universe would it make sense to delete that vocal off the multi-track?  But if that acetate had remained in the hands of, say, Bruce or Al or Van Dyke Park's ex wife, all we'd have now would be a sort of incomplete sounding instrumental take and a vague rumor that maybe Dennis was supposed to sing it...  It's a weirdly optimistic moment for me!

This is why so many of us are excited -- the acetates represent a possible cache of unheard SMiLE goodies like that.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »

This is more accurate:

I'm out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
Catch as catch can

Perhaps maybe I could use a better listen to the section in question...
Pardon me, but you've piqued my interest as well.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:18:31 PM »

While we're on the subject of the "Truck Drivin' Man" lyrics. And maybe this belongs on one of the other Smile-o-Phile threads here, but does anybody know if that Dennis part was mixed down or was it more up front in the vocals in the original version of Cabinessence intended for Smile? Or was that section later buried down behind "Who Ran The Iron Horse" in the middle of the song for inclusion on 20/20? I probably read about this somewhere before Priore LLVS?) but I forgot how the truck drivin' man lyrics were orginally suppose to fit into the song. Maybe it was intended to be mixed down deep! I always thought it was a shame that it was buried on the released version of the song.

And yes, this would be a great hidden track!  Or they could add "Denny, got any hash joints?" just before the run-out groove. Or the water chant in the middle of "Cool Cool Water". Or a 15 Khz high frequency tone at the end...........wait, no, that's been done.

I'm sure it's a given that my favorite "Three Score and Five", "Cantina", and "Cornicopia" lyrics will be included in all their glory!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »

This is more accurate:

I'm out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
Catch as catch can

Out of night life it's a gas man
In and out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
In the land, in the dust, trust that you must
Catch as catch can

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »

Revised slightly...  Nothing better to do tonight than listen to the isolated vocal. LOL

I'll concede "Land" is in there, but it's definitely "I'm a gas man" and "I'm out of luck"!

I'm out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
Land in the dust, trust what you must
Catch as catch can

How is it that we have the "reconnected telephone" lyrics but not this part that was actually recorded?  Where did the telephone lyrics originate from, Frank Holmes?

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 06:40:46 AM »

I remember an old article in ICE (remember that magazine/newsletter?) where Mark Linnett was interviewed about the GV box set Smile stuff and said that they had found a better quality tape of Old Master Painter/Sunshine.  Hopefully this will be on the new release! 
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 05:42:56 PM »

I remember an old article in ICE (remember that magazine/newsletter?) where Mark Linnett was interviewed about the GV box set Smile stuff and said that they had found a better quality tape of Old Master Painter/Sunshine.  Hopefully this will be on the new release! 

If that means complete with vocal, that in itself will be worth the price of admission!  Happy Dance
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 06:47:23 AM »

Revised slightly...  Nothing better to do tonight than listen to the isolated vocal. LOL

I'll concede "Land" is in there, but it's definitely "I'm a gas man" and "I'm out of luck"!

I'm out of luck
With a buck and a booth
Catchin' on to the truth
Land in the dust, trust what you must
Catch as catch can

How is it that we have the "reconnected telephone" lyrics but not this part that was actually recorded?  Where did the telephone lyrics originate from, Frank Holmes?

Who says it wasn't recorded ?  Granted we don't have a copy of it... but to my sure knowledge, no-one in the collector's world has a copy of "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" - but it exists. Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »

Getting off the "Truck Driving Man" topic for a minute.  Does anyone think the "Vosse Posse" segments have a place on this boxset?  I obviously don't expect them to include full length segments of these recordings but short excerpts here and there could add to the overall quality of this release.  Sort of like how they've included some radio promos on other box sets?

Thoughts?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »

Getting off the "Truck Driving Man" topic for a minute.  Does anyone think the "Vosse Posse" segments have a place on this boxset?  I obviously don't expect them to include full length segments of these recordings but short excerpts here and there could add to the overall quality of this release.  Sort of like how they've included some radio promos on other box sets?

Thoughts?

I don't think I have heard of the Vosse Posse segments. What are they?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx