gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:37:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 366 367 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 375 376 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728654 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9250 on: November 16, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »

I've always heard this lyric as:

"she'll SMILE and thank God for one, one, one, wonderful"

That IS the lyric in SOME versions, but if you hear it in ALL versions, then you're hearing things.

Off the top of my head...

Smile version: "sigh"
Smiley Smile version: "smile"
Wonderbill version: "sigh"
IJWMFTT soundtrack version: "smile"
BWPS version: "sigh"

By the way, the IJWMFTT version introduces yet another lyrical variation: "she'll return in love with THE MYSTERY" instead of the "... with her liberty."

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:57:38 AM by juggler » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9251 on: November 16, 2011, 01:52:02 AM »

Sorry John - In a bit of a rush, but: If you're on a mac try Itunes > Preferences. Under the General tab, there is an Import Settings button at the bottom that might have the settings you need (although can't find gap options on mine). Alternatively, try the Playback tab, and check your crossfade settings aren't messed up (should be on 0). Otherwise I don't know but it sounds like a setting in Itunes causing the problem.

Many thanks Buddhahat, I had a good rummage last night and went through those hoops but to no avail. Haven't burned a CD from the rip yet so don't know if it's something that will crossover to a fresh CD.

Have solved the gap problem though, by "Joining" the three tracks – they all now play seamlessly together and sounds wonderful. 

The "Join" function (in the "Advanced" menu) appears to be something that must be done while the CD's in the drive, before you import the tracks on to the Mac.

I can see this function possibly being of some potential use to "roll your owners", once they've decided on their tracklisting.

Glad you sorted it. That join function sounds interesting - wasn't aware of that, thanks.

Incidentally, just found the gap options: If you highlight a track and hold cmd I (might be cntrl I on PC?) you get the info screen up for a particular track (or multiple tracks if several are selected). Hit the Options tab, and there's a checkbox for 'Part of A gapless album'. You might want to highlight all the tracks from the album and try this to make them all gapless. However, this box isn't checked on mine and there is no problem, so this might not solve the issue with you, but might be worth a try nontheless.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9252 on: November 16, 2011, 05:16:39 AM »

The momentary gaps between Great Shape and Barnyard, then Barnyard and My Only Sunshine really grate – it's like someone burned the discs in iTunes and thought there ought to be a brief pause between songs, not realising they were meant for smooth transitions.  I hope this gets fixed.

There is a slight pause between "Shape" and "Barnyard" (although not much of one), but there is no pause between "Barnyard" and "Sunshine" - it has the same seamless blend as BWPS. You are referring to the CD versions, right? My discs don't have this problem.

Yeah - almost sounds like you've ripped this to a cd without setting the preferences to 'no gaps' in Itunes. There certainly shouldn't be a gap between Barnyard/OMP - it's one of my favourite transitions of the disc 1 sequence.

I suspect you might be right – though I can't for the life of me find the setting in preferences for getting rid of that import option.  At the moment I'm getting the same gaps in both the ripped-from-CD versions and the iTunes download, which is even more annoying now I find that it's something I could undo easily!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Sorry John - In a bit of a rush, but: If you're on a mac try Itunes > Preferences. Under the General tab, there is an Import Settings button at the bottom that might have the settings you need (although can't find gap options on mine). Alternatively, try the Playback tab, and check your crossfade settings aren't messed up (should be on 0). Otherwise I don't know but it sounds like a setting in Itunes causing the problem.

If you ripped to mp3 then there will always be a very small gap at the beginning of each song as the mp3 format has this built in. Don't ask me why, but is a feature of that format.

Import as aac or apple lossles by going edit>preferences>general>import settings>import using...

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9253 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »

There is Gapless information stored in the file Header. If your music player can read it (most, but not all do) you will get gapless playback with MP3 files.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
PhilCohen
« Reply #9254 on: November 16, 2011, 12:55:29 PM »

By the way, though I haven't visited the forum for some time, I now have something to bring to your attention. Apparently, somewhere in the world, there is a (legitimate) 96Khz/24-bit "Smile Sessions" compilation, though whether it is a disc or a download is unknown. It came to me(from a friend in Asia)who burnt to DVD. The collection consists of the "Smile" album re-creation("Our Prayer" through "Good Vibrations") plus the stereo material that appears on "Side Four" of the vinyl .
                            This means that, now, the alternate "Vegetables" is the only recently released Capitol track that is still exclusive to vinyl. Obviously, hearing the "Side Four" material at 96Khz/24-bit sounds better than hearing it from vinyl. As for the mono "Smile" album assembly, it isn't dramatically different in quality versus hearing it from CD.
                            I wish that I had more info about this 96Khz/24-bit collection, but the info I'm bringing you here is better than nothing.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9255 on: November 16, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »

It's a needledrop of the 2 LP set.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: November 16, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »

Yeah it is out there

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
PhilCohen
« Reply #9257 on: November 16, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »

If so, it's been de-clicked. There is no audible vinyl noise.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: November 16, 2011, 02:09:25 PM »

I've heard it, and I'm not surprised about that - it's really clean well pressed vinyl, and must have been needledropped after only a couple of plays, seeing as it was up nearly instantly.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: November 16, 2011, 02:19:37 PM »

If so, it's been de-clicked. There is no audible vinyl noise.

The vinyl is fantastically quiet and pop-and-click free, so removing the tiny bit of noise wouldn't be a challenge. There is no legal digital download of the vinyl side four tracks.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: November 16, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »

I really enjoy this set (the full box). There are som gems and of course the
sound is superb!!!!

One thing is the closeness or nearness (what's the expression?), especially
on Cool cool water part 1, starting at around 1 minute. It's as if you are standing
in the middle and the boys are singing right into your ear! The same with
H&V: Cantina (2-17)! Smiley Fantastic!!!
How do you achieve that, technically??

Funny guys:
One count-in goes "One, two, one two nice" and another one goes "One, two, here we go"!!! :D

Tried mixing in the Vegetables fade section (4-1) right after the Chorus 1 track (3-24), works
quite well...

"Ulla" (Veg., 2nd chorus) is a Swedish girl name - wonder if Mike has something to do with that... Grin

Cheers

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »

http://www.undertheradar.co.nz/utr/review/CID/610/N/The-SMiLE-Sessions.utr

A review

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: November 22, 2011, 07:22:23 PM »

and so continues the continuing saga of "The LA Times are a bunch of frelling morons" I submitted the review to Metacritic. Hopefully it'll up it to 99/100. They have yet to include Mojo's 5 stars (100) and Q's 3 stars (70)
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: November 25, 2011, 02:55:55 AM »

1: Great microphones 2: High recording level 3: No reverb
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: November 25, 2011, 04:50:30 AM »

1: Great microphones 2: High recording level 3: No reverb

Yup, might add that compression can make the effect more audible too.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:52:59 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: November 25, 2011, 01:24:42 PM »

I received my box set the other day.  I was a bit surprised to find two LPs and two 45s in the set, and that the CDs didn't come in plastic boxes.  Didn't need the LPs.  What are the musical highlights besides side 1?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: November 26, 2011, 07:28:53 AM »

None. You've wasted your money. It's all the group dicking about and recording pointless sections over and over again with no clear end in sight.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: November 29, 2011, 04:26:57 PM »

Since the box has been out for almost a month now, we should all reminisce about the longest thread in smiley smile board history. Can't believe the wild ride happened after this thread was started way back in March...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:29:15 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9268 on: November 29, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »

It's been an incredible time since this boxset was announced.

- I loved (and still do) Bill Tobelman's insights on the whole album (also love the backlash about his ideas lol).
- The spats with Phil Cohen are very memorable.
- It's funny to think about how antsy many of us were during the weeks preceding the release!
- I was pissed about the publicity, but it turns out the box still sold well regardless of how bad some of us thought the marketing campaign was.
- It was great to treat myself to tidbits of spoiler information before the set was released. I read a few lines of the 'Layla' revelation and then decided to close out...save the surprise for my ears.

Also I was incredibly pissed when those of you across the pond got the boxset before us Americans....then I was pissed at the Americans that selected 2 day shipping from Amazon....for I had to wait days to hear the set because I am cheap and selected 'free super saver shipping' LOL

It's been quite a ride and I can't wait for the next batch of releases!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9269 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »

I wonder what Bill and Phil are up too??
Phil SMiLE came out!
Bill it is what it is!!

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #9270 on: November 29, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »

I enjoyed Fishmonk interpretations/hallucinations...  Wink
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: November 30, 2011, 01:36:23 AM »

I just find it funny how, within days of the box being released, this thread basically came to a standstill!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: November 30, 2011, 06:21:12 AM »

I just find it funny how, within days of the box being released, this thread basically came to a standstill!

That's because everyone's listening to the box!  Wink

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: November 30, 2011, 06:22:48 AM »

Since the box has been out for almost a month now, we should all reminisce about the longest thread in smiley smile board history. Can't believe the wild ride happened after this thread was started way back in March...

Dammit, SMiLE Brian, I was all hoping my dismissive post would be the perfect finale to this thread, and then you come along  LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »

Dammit, SMiLE Brian, I was all hoping my dismissive post would be the perfect finale to this thread, and then you come along  LOL
Well i was getting nostalgic about this thread when it had characters like "Andrew G. Foe" vs. AGD. The August waiting period was epic in the stuff that went down between posters. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 368 369 370 [371] 372 373 374 375 376 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx