gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:36:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 358 359 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 367 368 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737842 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: November 03, 2011, 04:27:59 PM »

Nice! Thanks Juggler. Gonna get me one of those.  Smokin
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: November 03, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »

Those single cd issues look pretty solid.  I guess I might as well admit to being somewhat obsessive compulsive being that I'm considering buying a one disc version just for some different wording on the spine.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:03:04 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: November 03, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »

Anyone else wish they had included a "backing track only" version of "Teeter Totter Love"??

I love this song!!!!
______

Also, with a subwoofer the first disc is incredible. The bass in 'I'm In Great Shape' just juts out of the speakers - and they mixed Brian's voice perfectly with the instrumental - sounds exactly like JMZ's mix.

The more I listen to this album the more I love it. I'm really glad they didn't do a Purple-Chick style copy of BWPS. This version is its own thing, and it's absolutely great.

Also, the end of "Vegetables: Ballad Insert" is just the most beautiful bit on here....and it's for a song about vegetables LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
PhilCohen
« Reply #9053 on: November 03, 2011, 07:37:15 PM »

Anyone else wish they had included a "backing track only" version of "Teeter Totter Love"??

How could they? All multitracks & mixdown masters for the Jasper Dailey sessions have been lost. All that exists is an acetate of the one song.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: November 03, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »

How could they? All multitracks & mixdown masters for the Jasper Dailey sessions have been lost. All that exists is an acetate of the one song.

Ah that would explain that. Grin thanks!

Still, I wish we could hear it!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:49:18 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: November 03, 2011, 09:46:20 PM »

My copy has a goshdarn digital glitch halfway through "Tones".

SIGH.

But I do love "Teeter Totter Love", and for some odd reason, keep playing it. :-P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:47:53 PM by TheLazenby » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:34 PM »

SIGH.

Same, parts of some Phil Collins song pops up a couple times in there.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: November 03, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »

What?  Really?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: November 03, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »

I have the Record Store Day 78 but need a Mojo 45.   Would someone consider parting with one for sale/trade?

Mikie, someone on eBay are:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mojo-60s-Beach-Boys-Smile-mint-7-yellow-vinyl-/260882919784?pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item3cbdd57168#ht_500wt_1413

Wow, in the U.K they don't seem to be fetching much, but that could be because it was only released here!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEACH-BOYS-Cabin-Essence-Rare-UK-Promo-7-Inch-/370553124532?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5646aff6b4

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: November 04, 2011, 03:13:54 AM »

SIGH.

My mind boggles at the very thought of what a Mrs. O'Leary's Cow/In The Air Tonight mashup would sound like.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9060 on: November 04, 2011, 04:32:26 AM »

My 'official' box just arrived, five minutes, having been shipped at 6.23pm on 10/31.

So ?

So, I live in southern England. The box came from Kentucky.  Grin

And now, I'm going to go and cuddle it for a while.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: November 04, 2011, 04:41:00 AM »

My 'official' box just arrived, five minutes, having been shipped at 6.23pm on 10/31.

So ?

Yup… wish I'd stuck with my $110 amzn.com order… NHDL courier wasn't the best way mine could have arrived.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Radiant Radish
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: November 04, 2011, 04:44:45 AM »

Got the set through on Monday and boy was my mind blown! The sessions themselves sound amazing as the quality is spot on … oh and gorgeous stereo too.

So now I can finally make the basic compilations that I've always wanted to do. With consistent high fidelity sound. First up was a fully sequenced instrumental version of the disc 1 track list using all the stereo master takes (apart from the verse of Heroes and Barnyard which is in mono) - THIS JUST SOUNDS SO BRAND NEW AND STUNNING I RECOMMEND THAT YOU TRY IT!

I've never dug the overly ambitious fan mixes and the too much shoe-horning of material when faced with the possibilities of CD. They always come off sounding a little crappy to me, so I pieced together a rather sober but very satisfying (for my tastes that is) 12 tracker as if on two sides of vinyl. There is one instrumental per side (Pet Sounds style) and it more importantly ends with Surf's Up. It's great and makes the whole album run as a more completed unit.

That brings me to the left overs - the Frankenstein Great Shape and Barnyard, plus I Wanna Be Around, Fire and Da Da - all of which have always seemed to me to be the tracks that in the cold light of day could have been given the elbow from the album proper. So I have created an imaginary mini EP (a bit like a sort of Magical Mystery Tour relation to Pepper's) The SMiLE Mini Suite that runs with the left overs as two sides of a 10 incher. Again a complete flight of fancy on my behalf.

I've made some nice artwork for them based on the Record Store Day sleeve and I'm calling them "The Roll Your Own Series". I'm very happy, now back to work.
The Radiant Radish
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: November 04, 2011, 04:53:58 AM »

Got the set through on Monday and boy was my mind blown! The sessions themselves sound amazing as the quality is spot on … oh and gorgeous stereo too.

So now I can finally make the basic compilations that I've always wanted to do. With consistent high fidelity sound. First up was a fully sequenced instrumental version of the disc 1 track list using all the stereo master takes (apart from the verse of Heroes and Barnyard which is in mono) - THIS JUST SOUNDS SO BRAND NEW AND STUNNING I RECOMMEND THAT YOU TRY IT!

I've never dug the overly ambitious fan mixes and the too much shoe-horning of material when faced with the possibilities of CD. They always come off sounding a little crappy to me, so I pieced together a rather sober but very satisfying (for my tastes that is) 12 tracker as if on two sides of vinyl. There is one instrumental per side (Pet Sounds style) and it more importantly ends with Surf's Up. It's great and makes the whole album run as a more completed unit.

That brings me to the left overs - the Frankenstein Great Shape and Barnyard, plus I Wanna Be Around, Fire and Da Da - all of which have always seemed to me to be the tracks that in the cold light of day could have been given the elbow from the album proper. So I have created an imaginary mini EP (a bit like a sort of Magical Mystery Tour relation to Pepper's) The SMiLE Mini Suite that runs with the left overs as two sides of a 10 incher. Again a complete flight of fancy on my behalf.

I've made some nice artwork for them based on the Record Store Day sleeve and I'm calling them "The Roll Your Own Series". I'm very happy, now back to work.

Oh and here's the artwork:

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: November 04, 2011, 06:29:59 AM »

So ?

you'r lucky. i live in kentucky (since the fire), my orders shipped from kentucky and i still don't have them yet.  Shocked

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: November 04, 2011, 06:36:15 AM »

SIGH.

My mind boggles at the very thought of what a Mrs. O'Leary's Cow/In The Air Tonight mashup would sound like.

hopefully not as bad as this one  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q68MMpDpALU&feature=related

i just came back from the malt shop cruise. chubby checker was one of the artists. saw 2 of his concerts. they were great. he still has it. met him many times while walking around and eating on the boat. very nice guy. but single lady sung over  the twist..well that just ain't right. chubby has tons more class.     of course...jmho

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:54 AM »

The Dada tracks are blowing my mind.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: November 04, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »

So ?

Jeesh. Mine shipped from Kentucky on the 31st too. And it arrived yesterday....My state borders Kentucky Thud

But I'm just glad mine got here!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: November 04, 2011, 06:47:19 AM »

I can't stop listening to the dada "taped piano strings" piece....it sounds like a pair of scissors is doing percussion there!

Dada is becoming one of my favorite SMiLE songs.....it's sounds like such an evolutionary step forward in exotica music.

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: November 04, 2011, 06:49:59 AM »

SIGH.

hopefully not as bad as this one  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q68MMpDpALU&feature=related

i just came back from the malt shop cruise. chubby checker was one of the artists. saw 2 of his concerts. they were great. he still has it. met him many times while walking around and eating on the boat. very nice guy. but single lady sung over  the twist..well that just ain't right. chubby has tons more class.     of course...jmho

Chubby was seen eating many times... and has "tons" of class.   Who'd have thunk it?  LOL
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: November 04, 2011, 06:50:56 AM »

I can't stop listening to the dada "taped piano strings" piece....it sounds like a pair of scissors is doing percussion there!

Dada is becoming one of my favorite SMiLE songs.....it's sounds like such an evolutionary step forward in exotica music.

It is an incredible piece of music - the beauty of the chords he was pulling out at that point. And that All Day track with the weird minor key descending bit in the middle - how cool is that?!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: November 04, 2011, 06:54:15 AM »

Even cooler is the Cool Cool Water bit, where it turns into Child.... Then turns into Surf's Up! And then back to CCW/Dada.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: November 04, 2011, 06:56:09 AM »

I am agreeing with someone else above who spotted this playing through the session discs... It is an eerie revelation:  Smile is turning into Smiley Smile before your ears as the sessions advance!  Lots of unusual instrument groupings begin to appear, in small combos but usually not a whole lot, i.e., Vegetables, Wind Chimes.  More and more Brian abandons the "rock band "sound as he goes on.  It rarely gets as slapdash as Smiley Smile though.  But when it does sometimes go bonkers then it's  God's Honest Proof, kids, you should stay off drugs and stay in school.  I am thinking of the  Vegetables demo with the wacky rhythm and fragmented vox (disc 1 tr.23), the You're Welcome march;  or the Teeter Totter Song on disc 4 - I can see where people might think this was all seriously disturbed.  I could see where Mike Love is legitimately going: what is this sh*t?  Who is this turd singing about a teeter totter?  Personally I find it all fantastic, but I am channeling the mindset of  likely first-time listeners in 1966.

I am now really paying attention (on Grado headphones!) to the "audio glitches" and clicks complained about elsewhere - these all sound like tape artifacts to me.  Some of them are caused by oversaturation of the original tape.  Monicker might be right that some or all of those could be snipped out, but there comes a point at which too much of that creates its own artifact, as you have to "draw" an approximation of the wave-form where the click had been, or you will hear a skip or a drop-out.   This is the problem archivists have with cleaning up records made originally on metal stampers - take out enough noise, and it becomes dull and airless.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:00:56 AM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: November 04, 2011, 06:59:35 AM »

It is an incredible piece of music - the beauty of the chords he was pulling out at that point. And that All Day track with the weird minor key descending bit in the middle - how cool is that?!

Shocked Friggin' great that they put stuff like that in here. I was expecting another 'Heroes and Villain's' riff, then Dada comes on!...you can hear bits of 'Wind Chimes' at the 1:15 mark....that descending bit kinda sounds like it could be a part of wind-chimes - and it also sounds like it could be a part of vega-tables.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: November 04, 2011, 07:03:52 AM »

So, since I got the set on Monday, I've had Discs 1-4 on rotation NON-STOP. Once Disc 4 ends, back to Disc 1. I finally decided to throw in Disc 5 yesterday as a novelty, and as nice it is (and heard some new things) its back off the rotation. I like Good Vibes, don't get me wrong, but I am still a bit peeved a whole disc was dedicated to it. I wouldve preferred if they made Disc 5 a few GV tracks but also included more SMiLE related stuff, maybe even some SS if they had it...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 360 361 362 [363] 364 365 366 367 368 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx