gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:29:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728563 times)
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6750 on: September 16, 2011, 01:22:23 AM »

never heard those versions of h&v of surfs up before

They are the Purple Chick versions, or a very similiar other fan mix.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: September 16, 2011, 01:48:32 AM »

They are the Purple Chick versions

*sigh*

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: September 16, 2011, 02:01:12 AM »

purple chick doesnt have that h&v!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @_@
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:25 AM »

That version of Surf's Up still has the demo piano overlaid on  the Smile backing track.  I doubt whether it's from the official release.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: September 16, 2011, 03:18:12 AM »

Maybe the vinyl "bonus" version of Surf's Up? Maybe not...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:42:56 AM by rattfink » Logged
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: September 16, 2011, 03:27:46 AM »

when did the three score and five version of heroes and villains ever get made in stereo
Paul2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:01 AM »

The mixes of HAV and SU sound a bit like Mok's version to me.
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: September 16, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »

Too bad they aren't having a tie-in game with the release of the box set...

Saw this today about a new Beatles board game:
http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1046603&c=1

There are 5 golden tickets which will enable winners the opportunity for a once-in-a-lifetime guided visit through Abbey Road Studios.   They could have easily done this for Smile, with the winner getting to visit Brian's various studios!

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:41 AM »

when did the three score and five version of heroes and villains ever get made in stereo

I didn't know it was. Have you heard a stereo version? If so, where? Correct me if I'm wrong, but other than bootleg, the only 'legit' version was released on the Smiley/Wild Honey 2-fer and it was mono, right?

Looking forward to hopefully hearing a 'cleaner' version of it on the new set.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: September 16, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but other than bootleg, the only 'legit' version was released on the Smiley/Wild Honey 2-fer and it was mono, right?

I believe that you are correct. That is my preferred version and am not aware of any other.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: September 16, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »

If Van Dyke Parks got more street cred from working with Smile it should have been duly balanced with scorn for abandoning the project like a stuck up college intellectual dork at the playful ribbing of class clown Mike Love. If V Dyke was just like Har har Mike whatever you say pal...   HISTORY MIGHT BE VERY DIFFERENT. Of course if we're going to break down the net of causes we could say well if Mike didn't give V Dyke a hard time... etc. But, VDP did walk out. I think he's had his tail between his legs till 2004 over it and he still knows all too well that Smile never got to be what it was meant to be [a phrase VDP would enjoy saying] even though Brian's Smile did come out in 2004. He said it seemed much "bigger" back then - that's the ambition, the shared vision to complete the project in the unified vision of it. Once Van Dyke Parks left, it became a Brian Wilson project and lost the sober direction VDP could bring to matters. Endless takes of what... Dada?

So once again we get the "Van Dyke should be demonized and flogged for abandoning SMiLE just when it needed him the most".  AGAIN, Brian Wilson and Mike Love were arguably the most successful rock and roll songwriting team in America!  If Brian couldn't convince Mike Love of the importance of the lyrics, then who was Van Dyke to say, "Hey, my lyrics are better than yours Mike?"  Mike's lyrics had sold millions of records, Van Dyke's lyrics had not.  Who was he to drive a wedge between two of the most powerful men in the industry?  Who was he to drive a wedge between two cousins in a family run business?  And besides, what good would have come of explaining the lyrics to Mike?  It's 40 years later and he still doesn't understand them.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: September 16, 2011, 12:47:37 PM »

If Van Dyke Parks got more street cred from working with Smile it should have been duly balanced with scorn for abandoning the project like a stuck up college intellectual dork at the playful ribbing of class clown Mike Love. If V Dyke was just like Har har Mike whatever you say pal...   HISTORY MIGHT BE VERY DIFFERENT. Of course if we're going to break down the net of causes we could say well if Mike didn't give V Dyke a hard time... etc. But, VDP did walk out. I think he's had his tail between his legs till 2004 over it and he still knows all too well that Smile never got to be what it was meant to be [a phrase VDP would enjoy saying] even though Brian's Smile did come out in 2004. He said it seemed much "bigger" back then - that's the ambition, the shared vision to complete the project in the unified vision of it. Once Van Dyke Parks left, it became a Brian Wilson project and lost the sober direction VDP could bring to matters. Endless takes of what... Dada?

So once again we get the "Van Dyke should be demonized and flogged for abandoning SMiLE just when it needed him the most".  AGAIN, Brian Wilson and Mike Love were arguably the most successful rock and roll songwriting team in America!  If Brian couldn't convince Mike Love of the importance of the lyrics, then who was Van Dyke to say, "Hey, my lyrics are better than yours Mike?"  Mike's lyrics had sold millions of records, Van Dyke's lyrics had not.  Who was he to drive a wedge between two of the most powerful men in the industry?  Who was he to drive a wedge between two cousins in a family run business?  And besides, what good would have come of explaining the lyrics to Mike?  It's 40 years later and he still doesn't understand them.

'

For VDP to do or say anything would have been to barf into the wind.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: September 16, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »

Have you heard a stereo version? If so, where?
http://www.scpr.org/programs/offramp/2011/09/10/20637/van-dyke-parks-talks-beach-boys-smile
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »

If Van Dyke Parks got more street cred from working with Smile it should have been duly balanced with scorn for abandoning the project like a stuck up college intellectual dork at the playful ribbing of class clown Mike Love. If V Dyke was just like Har har Mike whatever you say pal...   HISTORY MIGHT BE VERY DIFFERENT. Of course if we're going to break down the net of causes we could say well if Mike didn't give V Dyke a hard time... etc. But, VDP did walk out. I think he's had his tail between his legs till 2004 over it and he still knows all too well that Smile never got to be what it was meant to be [a phrase VDP would enjoy saying] even though Brian's Smile did come out in 2004. He said it seemed much "bigger" back then - that's the ambition, the shared vision to complete the project in the unified vision of it. Once Van Dyke Parks left, it became a Brian Wilson project and lost the sober direction VDP could bring to matters. Endless takes of what... Dada?

True, but had Van Dyke explained the lyric, then Mike would have had 40 years to come to terms with them. Leaving a guy to hang dry for 40 years just ain't right. Van Dyke could have at least tried to explain them to him during the SIP sessions. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
ghost
« Reply #6764 on: September 16, 2011, 01:24:47 PM »

Love and merci, Dan Lega -

Real life is not a TV sitcom where things just leave off, enter a time vacuum, and emerge years later with nothing inbetween. Van Dyke Parks didn't just humbly back down from asserting his confidence in his lyrics to Mike Love, he left in a prissy huff and left the entire project soon thereafter right? What's that all about? All that work and creative drive with Brian just... thrown away over an argument with goofball Mike Love? Come on. VDP is a butthole, like Brian Wilson said.

He left it all to Brian to finish or not finish. After he left Brian seems to have lost the plot with Smile. I think Van Dyke was a great stabilizing presence for Brian, someone intelligent enough to fully understand him yet not spaced out in a damaged way himself, still grounded in the mundane world so well that he can give a sense of direction to the proceedings. Brian has said sometimes in the studio you get so close to it you don't know where it's at. With Van Dyke making regular visits he would've had a trusted source of judgment, not some guy in the street hearing a Heroes mix and not liking it so it gets junked.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:27:57 PM by ghost » Logged
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6765 on: September 16, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

What about Van Dyke simply seeing the writing on the wall that Brian had lost interest in finishing SMiLE as an album? When Brian was spending all his session time trying to work out one song ("Heroes & Villains") that Van Dyke had already contributed a full set of lyrics for, I can easily see Parks drifting away to work on a solo album deal that would have been a dream project for him at the time.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: September 16, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »

I think I may have missed something. I didn't hear anything about the "three score and five" lyrics in that interview.....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: September 16, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »

I think I may have missed something. I didn't hear anything about the "three score and five" lyrics in that interview.....

The lead sounds like the version that's on the GV box set. Hence the speculation.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6768 on: September 17, 2011, 05:41:32 AM »

and so it continues! Amazon.com's price lowered to $142.33

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6769 on: September 17, 2011, 06:32:14 AM »

and so it continues! Amazon.com's price lowered to $142.33

Nice! Hopefully Amazon makes the price adjustment on my order soon  Tongue
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6770 on: September 17, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »

How long does it generally take Amazon to update the pricing on your account after a price decrease?  This is my fist time ordering with them.  I realize that it's not even been a full day, but my price is still showing the $146 + shipping. 

I hope the price keeps trending downward!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: September 17, 2011, 09:46:20 AM »

Nice,  $142.33 is just right..

Leave it at that Capitol

110 was better though  Smokin Wink

Edit:

The price goes down 40 bucks and the box set jumps 100 spots  LOL
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:48:16 AM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: September 17, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »

I haven't posted here in 100 years..  But I've been following this.  I'm on the Hoffman forum and got mine for $110.

Can't wait! 

45 days to go.
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: September 17, 2011, 10:51:48 AM »

How long does it generally take Amazon to update the pricing on your account after a price decrease?  This is my fist time ordering with them.  I realize that it's not even been a full day, but my price is still showing the $146 + shipping.  

I hope the price keeps trending downward!

Sometimes you get a notice of the price drop really quickly, and sometimes it takes awhile -- but Amazon always follows through. I've gotten emails from them after an item has been DELIVERED, telling me that the price went down by a PENNY and my order had been adjusted accordingly. If they're holding off the notifications now, it may be because the price will drop even further. Why send every customer 20 emails between now and 11/1 when they can send just ONE the day it ships?

Whatever you do, DON'T panic and cancel your order and then re-order at the lower price. If you've been pre-ordered for awhile, you want to keep your place "in line" and not miss out if supplies are limited. If they only get (for example) 5,000 of the box, and you're one of those right now, you wouldn't want to create a whole new order, which might put you at 5,100 or something. Trust Amazon -- even if for some reason they don't lower your price, you can just go back and show them their mistake, and they'll fix it. They're good like that!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:53:26 AM by seanmurd » Logged

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: September 17, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »

I haven't posted here in 100 years..  But I've been following this.  I'm on the Hoffman forum and got mine for $110.

Can't wait! 

45 days to go.

45 days, man, I hope Capitol are aware of this and get that promo ball rolling soon

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 268 269 270 [271] 272 273 274 275 276 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx