gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:07:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1747984 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6700 on: September 14, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »

Given that Desper is generally a more reliable source, and his version of the story differs significantly from Rieley's, I consider his suggestion duly nullified.  

And what exactly is Desper's story about Surf's Up? I don't have his book nor means to get it.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: September 15, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »

Again, I don't! It's just funny that some people can get so fanatical about it!  Yeah, it's the SMiLE relic. The holy grail of Beach Boys records. Arguably* the most popular unreleased album of all time. But much of it, maybe most of it, is out there already in some capacity! If fans are so hyped up and jonesing about it EVERY DAY like you are, I recommend listening to your bootlegs to hold you over until it's legitimately released in November!  It's almost like..........you're just so horny you can't wait for the wife or girlfriend to get home so you can have sex with her! Or a heroin addict who can't wait for his next fix! It's almost hilarious to read!

Whenever something brings in a hoard of new fans and the board landscape shifts a little there's always a sourpuss like you griping about it and pushing newbies around. Don't like the Smile discussion? Find another board because it clearly dominates smiley.net at the moment. Don't pretend this is your favourite thread - it's clearly driving you nuts and the most hilarious thing about it is it's only going to get worse! I swear Mikie, I will happily risk the banhammer telling you just how idiotic your argument is every time you puff your chest out at the likes of Shady.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: September 15, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »

No matter what is being discussed there is always someone in here bitching about how they don't find it interesting. Too much smile, not enough smile, blah blah blah.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6703 on: September 15, 2011, 12:55:57 AM »

"We had lots of musicians in to redo parts of the track that had been played badly. Recording went on for several weeks, with
Brian very involved but Carl heading the effort."

Again, this is all most questionable.

I thought it was said that a proper re-recording of "Surf's Up" was done or at least attempted in 71, but they opted to use the Smile sessions/Brian demo with overdubs instead? Could he be referring to that? Was there no attempts at re-recording the song properly?

The legend of a complete 1971 "SU" re-recording stems from the 1972 Grand Gala du Disque tape, one copy of which was so clean it did sound, to the untutored ear, like a studio recording. There's no documentary or anecdotal evidence for a complete makeover. SWD makes no reference to it at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: September 15, 2011, 12:57:54 AM »

"What makes you laugh?"

“What makes me laugh? Arguments. Whenever I hear an argument, I laugh.”
Brian Wilson LOL
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:00:36 AM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: September 15, 2011, 01:03:29 AM »

"We had lots of musicians in to redo parts of the track that had been played badly. Recording went on for several weeks, with
Brian very involved but Carl heading the effort."

Again, this is all most questionable.

I thought it was said that a proper re-recording of "Surf's Up" was done or at least attempted in 71, but they opted to use the Smile sessions/Brian demo with overdubs instead? Could he be referring to that? Was there no attempts at re-recording the song properly?

The legend of a complete 1971 "SU" re-recording stems from the 1972 Grand Gala du Disque tape, one copy of which was so clean it did sound, to the untutored ear, like a studio recording. There's no documentary or anecdotal evidence for a complete makeover. SWD makes no reference to it at all.

Cool Smiley thanks for the info.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #6706 on: September 15, 2011, 01:06:25 AM »

What's the best way to listen to The Smile Sessions you think?
Headphones or the stereo?

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: September 15, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »

It's clearly driving you nuts and the most hilarious thing about it is it's only going to get worse! I swear Mikie, I will happily risk the banhammer telling you just how idiotic your argument is every time you puff your chest out at the likes of Shady.

Buddhahate:

This thread isn't driving me nuts at all. Far from it. And I'm unaware of who the 'newbies' are here. Don't bother trying to intimidate me by being a hard ass; you're wasting your time. I suggest you either hit the ignore button or just plain skip over my posts. I've already said that I'd be more positive and contribute to this thread, and I meant it. If you don't want to take my word for it, that's your problem. Got a problem with me? PM me - it's as simple as that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: September 15, 2011, 01:23:13 AM »

Whew, we're gonna be at 300 pages in no time!   Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6709 on: September 15, 2011, 01:28:49 AM »

Ears.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6710 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:08 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37:29 AM »

Ears.

Ears - Check
Stereo - Check
Headphones - Check
Special Sauce - Check
TSS - .......crap

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6712 on: September 15, 2011, 01:39:33 AM »

Ears.

Ears - Check
Stereo - Check
Headphones - Check
Special Sauce - Check
TSS - .......crap

If the 67 Surf's Up is as awesome as I have a feeling it will be...

Special Sauce - Check

-_-

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: September 15, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »

Ears.

Ears - Check
Stereo - Check
Headphones - Check
Special Sauce - Check
TSS - .......crap

Special Sauce - Check

-_-

Diapers – Check

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6714 on: September 15, 2011, 03:40:33 AM »

Given that Desper is generally a more reliable source, and his version of the story differs significantly from Rieley's, I consider his suggestion duly nullified.  

And what exactly is Desper's story about Surf's Up? I don't have his book nor means to get it.

It's in the book, but also hear on the Desper thread.

He said (if memory serves) that the SU 2nd section tape was damaged in storage and consequently Brian's voice dropped in and out, so Carl doubled the bits of Brian's overdub that had been damaged. What you hear on the record is mostly Brian with bits of Carl.

And he said Carl produced the group vocal outro, not Brian, who was upstairs being paranoid.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: September 15, 2011, 03:50:10 AM »

Somewhere -  I think "The Beach Boys – In Their Own Words" – there's a lengthy dissection of how SU was assembled for 71. I think it's by Bruce.   I know the book is in my loft being eaten by mice right now otherwise I'd dig it out.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: September 15, 2011, 04:24:59 AM »

Somewhere -  I think "The Beach Boys – In Their Own Words" – there's a lengthy dissection of how SU was assembled for 71. I think it's by Bruce.   I know the book is in my loft being eaten by mice right now otherwise I'd dig it out.

Since digesting "The Beach Boys – In Their Own Words", Manning's mice began lurking at the smiley board ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: September 15, 2011, 04:29:44 AM »

Since digesting "The Beach Boys – In Their Own Words", Manning's mice began lurking at the smiley board ...

LOL -  woe betide anyone who takes The Beach Boys at their word!

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6718 on: September 15, 2011, 06:02:08 AM »

Ears.

Ears - Check
Stereo - Check
Headphones - Check
Special Sauce - Check
TSS - .......crap

Special Sauce - Check

-_-

Hopefully TSS will help produce some special sauce.. Now where's the emoticon for that Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: September 15, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »

Tansen I believe it's this:
 Ahhh!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6720 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:53 AM »

He said (if memory serves) that the SU 2nd section tape was damaged in storage and consequently Brian's voice dropped in and out, so Carl doubled the bits of Brian's overdub that had been damaged. What you hear on the record is mostly Brian with bits of Carl.

And he said Carl produced the group vocal outro, not Brian, who was upstairs being paranoid.

Exactly.  The point I was making was that Brian refused to help at all with the Surf's Up recording (I'm not sure where the reports that Brian tried, and failed, to sing lead came from) until they were working on the tag, when he burst downstairs from his bedroom and told them that there was a lyric that belonged in the tag that they didn't know ("a children's song").  Check out the Desper thread, he obviously tells it much better than I can.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6721 on: September 15, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

That's fine, but...considering there are two conflicting stories, how do we know which one is closer to the truth??

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »

Exactly.  The point I was making was that Brian refused to help at all with the Surf's Up recording (I'm not sure where the reports that Brian tried, and failed, to sing lead came from) until they were working on the tag, when he burst downstairs from his bedroom and told them that there was a lyric that belonged in the tag that they didn't know ("a children's song").  Check out the Desper thread, he obviously tells it much better than I can.

Isn't that in the Ames Carlin book as well? IIRC it's the source where I got it from. Fascinating anecdote anyway.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: September 15, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »

not sure if this has been posted earlier but amazon lowered the price $4.
at least this is a turn in the right direction.....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: September 15, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »

Anyone know if there is any significance to the 1/11/11 release date?, to me it gives the feeling of the clock being reset, kind of a way of saying "it's out now, this is the final word on the matter, now to move on". Am I the only one who gets that feeling?

Of course it could also be that it was a nice neat number (see 9/9/09 for the Beatles re-masters, although that had the Revolution 9 reference.), or just a coincidence. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 266 267 268 [269] 270 271 272 273 274 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx