gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:02:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1735073 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: September 12, 2011, 08:37:28 PM »

I still don't have the Pet Sounds box set. I just haven't ever really found a good excuse to blow the $60.00 on it. But I just blew $170 on the five disc SMiLE set, so figure that one out.  Grin

The Pet Sounds boxset is the best musical purchase I have ever made. I'll probably even enjoy it over the SMiLE set (however, I do prefer PS over SMiLE). Anywho, I suggest you buy it used from Amazon. I scored mine for $30 in brand new condition...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: September 12, 2011, 08:43:55 PM »

Thanks for sharing that, Mikie...yep, that is one weird story.  Now I'm especially curious to hear his thoughts about it (or maybe he hasn't listened to it yet).

Les, I remembered that immediately after reading the article where Al said he felt humiliated crawling on the floor making animal noises. It kinda makes sense in that maybe at that point Al didn't have good memories of the Smile/Smiley Smile era and just chose not to listen to the album. It didn't make it any easier for him to get into those sessions if he wasn't stoned like everybody else! You don't hear Bruce talk much about it either - he wasn't there.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: September 12, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »

October 31st.

Wake from a SMiLE induced dream at 8am sharp
Log onto smiley smile and post I'm about to leave to pick up the 2CD version
Board the bus (Don't have a car, college student woes)
Arrive at City Centre
Walk to Tower while listening to Purple Chick
Build tension while having a cig outside the building
Walk into Tower hopefully observing a SMiLE section packed with CD's, Box Sets, the works
Pay with a massive SMiLE
Walk out
Board the bus home
Walk in the door, rip CD to itunes, put on ipod
Lay back and cry tears of Joy.
Impatiently anticipate box set, Vinyl to arrive from Amazon
Party hard for Halloween
More SMiLE

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »

I still don't have the Pet Sounds box set.

That's sad, Jay.  

Even if you've downloaded it or copied the CD's already, the books in there are great reading.  The whole set, with the green box and all, is essential listening and reading about Pet Sounds. And it looks good and takes a lotta space in the collection right along with the other box sets and future SMilE set(s).

I've seen it go for even less than 60 bucks.  Grab it off off Ebay for around 5 bills shipped!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:55 PM »

I still don't have the Pet Sounds box set. I just haven't ever really found a good excuse to blow the $60.00 on it. But I just blew $170 on the five disc SMiLE set, so figure that one out.  Grin

The Pet Sounds boxset is the best musical purchase I have ever made. I'll probably even enjoy it over the SMiLE set (however, I do prefer PS over SMiLE). Anywho, I suggest you buy it used from Amazon. I scored mine for $30 in brand new condition...

60 is a pretty rational price tag for something like this. Releasing the "complete" box set as being limited edition, with two vinyls (or vinyl, whatever) of material you have elsewhere while still having a tiny bit of exclusive content along with the two 45s, was a total dick move.

And yes, I'd be saying the same if I suddenly was a billionaire tomorrow.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: September 12, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »

Looks like Shady's back and needs attention again......  

Shady, when's Smile coming out, buddy?  Grin

Hey, how many here can afford the Smile set(s) and how many can't afford it?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:56:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: September 12, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »

Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...

A variation of that is what I say about women:  Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em!!   Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »

I still don't have the Pet Sounds box set.

That's sad, Jay.  

Even if you've downloaded it or copied the CD's already, the books in there are great reading.  The whole set, with the green box and all, is essential listening and reading about Pet Sounds. And it looks good and takes a lotta space in the collection right along with the other box sets and future SMilE set(s).

I've seen it go for even less than 60 bucks.  Grab it off off Ebay for around 5 bills shipped!
Alright, I'm going to make a point of getting it sometime next year. After I've recovered from the SMiLE set, the Hendrix Winterland set, and the 6 disc Pink Floyd "Dark Side..." set. If I ever recover.  Thud

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »

I plan to:

1. Put the entire 5 discs on my mp3 player.

2. Go into my room at night.

3. Shut the door and turn off the lights.

4. Listen to the entire 5 discs on high quality headphones.

5. Set volume to 11. I want the group singing Our Prayer directly into my brain.

6. Give the music my full attention and not even glance at the booklet.

I used to do that with so many albums and I haven't done it years.  I always got more into the music that way too.  This would be a perfect time to do that - thanks! Cheesy
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: September 12, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »

The 6 disc Pink Floyd "Dark Side..." set. If I ever recover.  Thud

Yeah, I might grab that "Immersion Edition" box before the SMiLE sets.......looks real good.

sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: September 12, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »

I requested the day off. So I will be doing the following.

1. Waking up and immediately tracking the package

2. Wait for the package to arrive

3. Meet the delivery person at the door and get my package

4. walk upstairs to my apartment

5. open the package

6. Grab a spatula from the kitchen

7. Put on the vinyl and listen

8. Use the spatula to scraped my jaw off the ground

9. From there who knows
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: September 13, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »

Guess what, though -- we're all Wikipedia editors. If you think it's wrong, fix it. That's how it works.

... and if someone doesn't like it, or has an axe to grind, your revision will be reversed in minutes. I had to wave an AFM sheet at some guy to stop him from keeping changing my amendments on a certain page.  Grin
well, that's how anything works. you could write in brian's bio that he once put a dildo in his pants to impress a masseuse, but i don't think anybody would pay mind to such a story unless you back it up with a reliable source.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: September 13, 2011, 12:44:06 AM »

Looks like Shady's back and needs attention again......  

Shady, when's Smile coming out, buddy?  Grin

Hey, how many here can afford the Smile set(s) and how many can't afford it?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'd rather read Shady's upbeat posts than your mean-spirited reactions to them. It's the Smile Sessions thread. If you don't want to read excited, anticipatory posts about its release, there are plenty of other threads here where you can spend your time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:36:02 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: September 13, 2011, 12:45:58 AM »

60 is a pretty rational price tag for something like this. Releasing the "complete" box set as being limited edition, with two vinyls (or vinyl, whatever) of material you have elsewhere while still having a tiny bit of exclusive content along with the two 45s, was a total dick move.

You (and anyone who is interested only in the CD contents of the box, myself included) can simply buy the digital version of the box, which is the most reasonable purchase IMO.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: September 13, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »

I'd rather read Shady's upbeat posts than your mean-spirited reactions to them. It's the Smile Sessions thread. If you don't want to read exited, anticipatory posts about it's release, there are plenty of other threads here where you can spend your time.

Well, if you'll notice Buddharat, I do just that.  The other threads are much more exciting than this one these days!

Now lessee............how am I going to afford all three SMiLE sets?  Should I get all of them at once or just settle for the box set at first, then buy the other two later?  I don't know if there's going to be enough month at the end of my money in November!

Only 49 more days and counting!  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: September 13, 2011, 01:03:37 AM »

I'm wondering why there's no single SMiLE Sessions disc at Amazon.com, like there is at Amazon.uk and many others.

Might it be that there'll be an "Amazon exclusive" with a track or two extra, yet top be announced, like David Beard reports elsewhere there might be for In the Key of Disney?

And if on Amazon.com, where else?   I'm hoping not but…

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6566 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:21 AM »

Guess what, though -- we're all Wikipedia editors. If you think it's wrong, fix it. That's how it works.

... and if someone doesn't like it, or has an axe to grind, your revision will be reversed in minutes. I had to wave an AFM sheet at some guy to stop him from keeping changing my amendments on a certain page.  Grin

For some reason I'm curious to know what info was changed constantly. What did the guy write, and what was actually the case?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: September 13, 2011, 02:04:26 AM »

You (and anyone who is interested only in the CD contents of the box, myself included) can simply buy the digital version of the box, which is the most reasonable purchase IMO.

Should you now change you monicker to Barnshine?Huh

Cheers

Richard
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: September 13, 2011, 02:43:57 AM »

I've been waiting for years for good quality photos from the booklet.

Even better, excellent quality copies of all of the original Frank Holmes artwork have been available. Frank Holmes even signed the prints hisself!

And wonderful items they are indeed. The best BB-related purchases I made in 1997. Also had the privelidge of speaking to Frank on the phone to convey my thanks; wonderful fellow.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: September 13, 2011, 03:19:37 AM »

I'd rather read Shady's upbeat posts than your mean-spirited reactions to them. It's the Smile Sessions thread. If you don't want to read exited, anticipatory posts about it's release, there are plenty of other threads here where you can spend your time.

Well, if you'll notice Buddharat, I do just that.  The other threads are much more exciting than this one these days!

Well Mookie, I hadn't noticed as you seem to spend as much time in this thread as anyone else. Trust me, Shady's 'waiting for santa' attitude adds far more value to the thread than your consistent ridiculing of his posts.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: September 13, 2011, 03:44:54 AM »

Lessee, my box is scheduled to arrive November 1st from Amazon (Rough Trade have it listed for £175! I'd rather wait a day than spend £45 more). So....

• Don't log in here on October 31st - don't want to be spoiled wrt the contents in anyway whatsoever
  • On the morning of November 1st, wake up at half 8 usual time
  • Potter round the house doing usual business, with added caveat that I'll be a gibbering wreck
  • Drink coffee until the postman arrives (which is usually 11-12ish)
  • When postman arrives, hug him
  • Laugh maniacally at sight of box. Will possibly babble incoherently at any flatmates who are present
  • Pour glass of wine [Optional]
  • Stick Record one, Side one on turntable
  • Grin like idiot for rest of the day as booklet is pored over, sessions absorbed, arguments start here, etc

I'M GETTING REALLY EXCITED BTW

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: September 13, 2011, 04:30:44 AM »

Lessee, my box is scheduled to arrive November 1st from Amazon (Rough Trade have it listed for £175! I'd rather wait a day than spend £45 more). So....

• Don't log in here on October 31st - don't want to be spoiled wrt the contents in anyway whatsoever
  • On the morning of November 1st, wake up at half 8 usual time
  • Potter round the house doing usual business, with added caveat that I'll be a gibbering wreck
  • Drink coffee until the postman arrives (which is usually 11-12ish)
  • When postman arrives, hug him
  • Laugh maniacally at sight of box. Will possibly babble incoherently at any flatmates who are present
  • Pour glass of wine [Optional]
  • Stick Record one, Side one on turntable
  • Grin like idiot for rest of the day as booklet is pored over, sessions absorbed, arguments start here, etc

I'M GETTING REALLY EXCITED BTW

Sounds like a plan!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6572 on: September 13, 2011, 05:00:30 AM »

For some reason I'm curious to know what info was changed constantly. What did the guy write, and what was actually the case?

Carol's claim to have played on "Surf City" and "Little Old Lady...": if she did play on those, she used someone else's name and SS number.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: September 13, 2011, 05:24:24 AM »

November 1: postman comes and goes without package. I sit around hopeful it will arrive the next day.
November 2: still no boxset. I pace around the house anxiously getting fairly angry.
November 3: still no boxset. I pace around really pissed that I selected 'standard shipping'.
November 4: finally arrives.

- place CD into stereo system.
- sit in a relaxed position.
- press 'play'
- spend the next 12-24 hours listening to the incredible sonic architecture of Brian Wilson's genius compositions.

I can't wait!!!!!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: September 13, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »

November 1: postman comes and goes without package. I sit around hopeful it will arrive the next day.
November 2: still no boxset. I pace around the house anxiously getting fairly angry.
November 3: still no boxset. I pace around really pissed that I selected 'standard shipping'.
November 4: finally arrives.

- place CD into stereo system.
- sit in a relaxed position.
- press 'play'
- spend the next 12-24 hours listening to the incredible sonic architecture of Brian Wilson's genius compositions.

I can't wait!!!!!

In Norway the date is supposedly 28/10. I can dig that.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 267 268 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx