gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:29:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1735257 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6400 on: September 08, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »

Come on Capitol, were getting bored  Evil

Hush child, we're nearly there - only another 53 days.

7.57 weeks.

1,272 hours.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: September 08, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »

where is the proof that 'Tones' was written and produced by Carl and Carl alone?

the chord progression has clear ties to "Little Pad"... I would have loved to see "Hawaiian Song" and "Little Pad" included on TSS. even though they are from the Smiley sessions, Brian did include the Hawaiian theme in BWPS. he did not include "Cool Cool Water" which has been included in TSS.

"Do It Again" has clear ties with "Underwater", but Brian didn't write that any more than he wrote "Sweet Little Sixteen".  Grin

Actually, to me "Tones" always sounded a lot like "Mona-Kani".

Underwater by the Frogmen ? you know that song really ? wow
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6402 on: September 08, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »

There's an acetate of Child Is Father Of The Man from late '66 that runs about 1:45 that's been on boots for years. If this is the same version on the box set, I don't know. It doesn't have any lead vocals but it does have fuller vocals on the chorus fade.

That is the version (or variation thereof) I am expecting.  Verse lyrics are just too much to hope for.

My head says that you're probably right, but my heart says that maybe you're not right.   We've heard some hints that there will be a few blockbusters (i.e., things that will "blow us away").  Obviously, the 1967 Surf's Up is a shoo-in for the blockbuster category.   So far, that's pretty much it, though, right?   And if that IS it, well, so be it.   It'll still be a great set.  

On the other hand, I ask myself, "What sort of discoveries would those in-the-know consider mind-blowing for the hardcore fans?"  Something that would certainly qualify: surprise verse vocals for at least one of the following: Worms, Child, Great Shape, Barnyard, I Wanna Be Around or Da Da.    

Here's hoping that our minds are blown.

"Teeter-Totter Love" will blow you away. But not because it's any good...

I detect a "for completists only" tone...  I'm also guessing "Three Blind Mice" must be a prototype of "TTL", otherwise why have a 1965 track on a box of Smile-related songs?

Nooooooooooooooooo ! "T-TL" is to "TBM" as "Wrinkles" is to "God Only Knows".  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6403 on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:40 AM »

Here is something that I'm not sure has been brought up before:

Any guesses as to the obligatory hidden tracks on "The SMiLE Sessions"? (This band seems to love to bury stuff in the "run off grooves")

I can think of one very obvious one.  Grin

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »

Here's a subject that I don't think has been discussed yet...  What photo do you all think will be on the back of the LP jacket?  The standard picture of the Brian-less group (in better quality, obviously) from the mock-up back cover?  Something different?  I've always thought it was rather odd that they were using a group photo that didn't include the undisputed leader of the group and architect of the album.   I always suspected it might have been a mistake on the part of someone at Capitol who didn't know who was who in the group.

Brian wasn't in the pic because he wasn't on tour.  Grin

Brian's absence from the touring group didn't keep him off the front and back covers of Pet Sounds and Summer Days.   I just think that it's a weird choice.  I'm sure that Capitol easily could have found a photo from a different shoot that did include him.  The member of the group most responsible for the album doesn't make the back cover photo?   And Bruce does? Brow
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:39:19 AM by juggler » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6405 on: September 09, 2011, 01:35:15 AM »

Here's a subject that I don't think has been discussed yet...  What photo do you all think will be on the back of the LP jacket?  The standard picture of the Brian-less group (in better quality, obviously) from the mock-up back cover?  Something different?  I've always thought it was rather odd that they were using a group photo that didn't include the undisputed leader of the group and architect of the album.   I always suspected it might have been a mistake on the part of someone at Capitol who didn't know who was who in the group.

Brian's absence from the touring group didn't keep him off the front and back covers of Pet Sounds and Summer Days.   I just think that it's a weird choice.  I'm sure that Capitol easily could have found a photo from a different shoot that did include him.  The member of the group most responsible for the album doesn't make the back cover photo?   And Bruce does? Brow

Maybe Brian wanted it that way ?

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: September 09, 2011, 01:54:35 AM »

Perhaps so.  And maybe his absence in the photo is meant to symbolize his ego death. 

Paging the Tim Leary fans...  Wink
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: September 09, 2011, 03:02:40 AM »

Any guesses as to the obligatory hidden tracks on "The SMiLE Sessions"? (This band seems to love to bury stuff in the "run off grooves")

A radio spot for the Remember The Zoo box set coming out in 2012?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6408 on: September 09, 2011, 03:07:00 AM »

A radio spot for the Remember The Zoo box set coming out in 2012?

That too.  LOL

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: September 09, 2011, 03:10:32 AM »

Finally bit the bullet, cancelled my 2 CD set on Amazon and got the one with the shirt on thebeachboys.com

The "only 300 made" did it for me lol.

I'd to that if the shirt wasn't so ugly  Grin

I think it's pretty nice, but no XXL available. Very upsetting!

I'm with you there; not providing an XXL is tantamount to lardism and we shouldn't stand for it.

“We live in divisive times.”
ghost
« Reply #6410 on: September 09, 2011, 03:39:28 AM »

Here's a subject that I don't think has been discussed yet...  What photo do you all think will be on the back of the LP jacket?  The standard picture of the Brian-less group (in better quality, obviously) from the mock-up back cover?  Something different?  I've always thought it was rather odd that they were using a group photo that didn't include the undisputed leader of the group and architect of the album.   I always suspected it might have been a mistake on the part of someone at Capitol who didn't know who was who in the group.

Brian's not in the pic because his absence in the picture functions as the perfect symbolism for Brian's ego-death LSD experience. Grin
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6411 on: September 09, 2011, 05:54:18 AM »

Maybe he didn't mind?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: September 09, 2011, 06:18:03 AM »

Maybe he didn't mind?
Maybe he wanted to give the others their due from touring all the time and spreading the music to audiences worldwide.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: September 09, 2011, 08:56:45 AM »

Is that really a Beach Boys thing per se or a Linnett thing? I gather it's the latter. Anyway, some of the "hidden" tracks are already listed on the tracklist. PsYchO-deLik sOundZ.

Yeah but these aren't exactly hidden if they are listed on the boxset.  Usually they like to bury stuff in the run out.  There is a bit of "Here Today" I believe on PSS, "Kiss Me Baby" on EH and H&V on HAWTHORNE.  I'm wondering if we'll get some of the same on this upcoming boxset?
Don't forget the hidden "Happy Birthday" track on the 1st disc of GV box set....and the live announcement on the first disc of Hawthorne CA

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: September 09, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »

Finally bit the bullet, cancelled my 2 CD set on Amazon and got the one with the shirt on thebeachboys.com

The "only 300 made" did it for me lol.

I'd to that if the shirt wasn't so ugly  Grin

I think it's pretty nice, but no XXL available. Very upsetting!

I'm with you there; not providing an XXL is tantamount to lardism and we shouldn't stand for it.

Yeah, if Brian couldn't fit it in, I'm not wearing it!
Winston Wrong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: September 09, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »

So does anyone think we will finally hear the "Telephone direct dialing" verse in Cabin, "Do a lot" with the tooth brushing sound effects, or the track featuring "jungle noises"??

If not, and these DO exist, and are in the hands of "collectors" ie thieves, it will be a tragedy..
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: September 09, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »

What on earth are the "jungle noises"??

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: September 09, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »

What on earth are the "jungle noises"??

al shouting "ooga booga booga booga caveman day" over "wonderful", and early instance of rap music.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: September 09, 2011, 11:56:43 AM »

Oh, look, humor. Good.

Jason
« Reply #6419 on: September 09, 2011, 12:08:39 PM »

So does anyone think we will finally hear the "Telephone direct dialing" verse in Cabin, "Do a lot" with the tooth brushing sound effects, or the track featuring "jungle noises"??

If not, and these DO exist, and are in the hands of "collectors" ie thieves, it will be a tragedy..

Be careful who you call out as thieves.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6420 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »

Telephone lyrics - no evidence they were ever recorded...

Toothbrush do-a-lot - only source is word of one shadowy collector...

jungle noises - Swedish frog, anyone ?

Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »

Telephone lyrics - no evidence they were ever recorded...
Toothbrush do-a-lot - only source is word of one shadowy collector...

I too doubt the telephone lyrics were ever recorded. And in any event, I am skeptical we'll get anything "new" on TSS regarding Cabin Essence, seeing as how the "missing" October 11 session does not appear to be referenced anywhere in the track listing. A small disappointment, that. (But not one that in any way overshadows my unimpeded ecstacy!)

Another small disappointment with "Do A Lot." I was hoping beyond hope we'd see the October 17 vocal session for I'm In Great Shape (and was thinking, as others have, that maybe it had something to do with "Do A Lot"), but alas, the tracklisting indicates otherwise.

Also a comment on another topic a few posts up: I too have been wondering what the back cover of the LP will look like. Will be very interesting to see. My hope is that they use the original design (yes, including the photo) as closely as possible. The only differences would be the tracklisting, and maybe a few of the logos (based on current business requirements), and instead of the vintage 1966 fan club address, maybe they could put the ESQ address? Smiley

What about the gatefold? What might they put there??? Lyrics perhaps? Other photos?

God, i can't wait for this beast.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: September 09, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »

I thought it was odd that Al didn't make the photo shoot for the cover of Summer Days due to "illness".

For godsakes man, it's a photo shoot for a FREAKING Beach Boys album.  Unless you are dead, get your sorry a$$ out of bed, show up and try to SMiLE!!!

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: September 09, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »

I wish they'd just call it swedish frog

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: September 09, 2011, 01:11:41 PM »

I've always wondered--is it ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that "swedish frog" is what's being said in that section? And if so, why swedish frog? What is the significance of that?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 261 262 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx