gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 08:59:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 260 261 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1753523 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6375 on: September 08, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »

I'll sell "SMiLE Shop" Shirts later on, for 5 Bucks USD, such a better deal... haha JK

dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: September 08, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »

Finally bit the bullet, cancelled my 2 CD set on Amazon and got the one with the shirt on thebeachboys.com

The "only 300 made" did it for me lol.

I hear the shirts are going to be available at night markets in Bangkok for 300 baht a pop! Grin

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:35 PM »

Finally bit the bullet, cancelled my 2 CD set on Amazon and got the one with the shirt on thebeachboys.com

I just don't like the shirt.  Why not use the cover art?

I really don't mind plus it does say design subject to change.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: September 08, 2011, 06:39:44 PM »

I think that the blue t-shirt looks pretty nice.  I'd be tempted to buy it too, but my plan has been to pick up the double disc at Best Buy or similar store on release day.  I'm paying $110 for the box on Amazon with free (slow) shipping, so my box will probably arrive a few days after November 1.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: September 08, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »

I think that the blue t-shirt looks pretty nice.  I'd be tempted to buy it too, but my plan has been to pick up the double disc at Best Buy or similar store on release day.  I'm paying $110 for the box on Amazon with free (slow) shipping, so my box will probably arrive a few days after November 1.

My 5 CD set and Vinyl (which I'm keeping sealed as a collectible) are coming to me 11/1 thanks to Amazon prime (no relation to Optimus  Grin)

Got it for free last year and renewed recently. It's already nearly paid itself.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: September 08, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »

There's an acetate of Child Is Father Of The Man from late '66 that runs about 1:45 that's been on boots for years. If this is the same version on the box set, I don't know. It doesn't have any lead vocals but it does have fuller vocals on the chorus fade.

That is the version (or variation thereof) I am expecting.  Verse lyrics are just too much to hope for.

My head says that you're probably right, but my heart says that maybe you're not right.   We've heard some hints that there will be a few blockbusters (i.e., things that will "blow us away").  Obviously, the 1967 Surf's Up is a shoo-in for the blockbuster category.   So far, that's pretty much it, though, right?   And if that IS it, well, so be it.   It'll still be a great set.  

On the other hand, I ask myself, "What sort of discoveries would those in-the-know consider mind-blowing for the hardcore fans?"  Something that would certainly qualify: surprise verse vocals for at least one of the following: Worms, Child, Great Shape, Barnyard, I Wanna Be Around or Da Da.    

Here's hoping that our minds are blown.

"Teeter-Totter Love" will blow you away. But not because it's any good...

I detect a "for completists only" tone...  I'm also guessing "Three Blind Mice" must be a prototype of "TTL", otherwise why have a 1965 track on a box of Smile-related songs?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: September 08, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »

i'd also really enjoy it if vega-tables had "round round round dig a hole in the ground" back in it
What's this? I can't remember ever hearing about it or reading a reference to it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: September 08, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »

will this thread reach 500 rpelies before the smile sessions leaks?
theCOD
« Reply #6383 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »

i'd also really enjoy it if vega-tables had "round round round dig a hole in the ground" back in it
What's this? I can't remember ever hearing about it or reading a reference to it.

I've read it's mentioned in the Holmes booklet, and in the Cornucopia version of Vega-tables but I've never been able to hear it.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »

I've read it's mentioned in the Holmes booklet, and in the Cornucopia version of Vega-tables but I've never been able to hear it.

It isn't audible in every version...  Listen to the stereo mixes on Secret Smile at about :30 and you'll hear it clearly.
theCOD
« Reply #6385 on: September 08, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »

It isn't audible in every version...  Listen to the stereo mixes on Secret Smile at about :30 and you'll hear it clearly.

Ahh, thank you! Smiley
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: September 08, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »

It isn't audible in every version...  Listen to the stereo mixes on Secret Smile at about :30 and you'll hear it clearly.

This is why i love this site. I'm always learning something new....no matter how small and unimportant it may seem to those on the outside.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:29:35 PM by BiNNS » Logged
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:06 PM »

It isn't audible in every version...  Listen to the stereo mixes on Secret Smile at about :30 and you'll hear it clearly.

This is why i love this site. I'm always learning something new.

Yes very true, I never heard of this Secret Smile till now. I'll be giving Google a good  Air Quotes workout Air Quotes today!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:23:30 PM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"The ocean scares me."
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »

This is why i love this site. I'm always learning something new....no matter how small and unimportant it may seem to those on the outside.

Yeah, I'd never heard that part before, only the backing vocals in the second verse (at 0:59 on the stereo mix) - what are they saying there?  All I can make out is "body shook" and I'm not even sure that's right.
theCOD
« Reply #6389 on: September 08, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »

Yeah, I'd never heard that part before, only the backing vocals in the second verse (at 0:59 on the stereo mix) - what are they saying there?  All I can make out is "body shook" and I'm not even sure that's right.

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt?
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6390 on: September 08, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »

Pop those buttons right off of my shirt?

Just heard the fast version of With Me Tonight and the bass line is similar to Barbara Anne.

"The ocean scares me."
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: September 08, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »

Here is something that I'm not sure has been brought up before:

Any guesses as to the obligatory hidden tracks on "The SMiLE Sessions"? (This band seems to love to bury stuff in the "run off grooves")

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: September 08, 2011, 09:20:54 PM »

Any guesses as to the obligatory hidden tracks on "The SMiLE Sessions"? (This band seems to love to bury stuff in the "run off grooves")

Is that really a Beach Boys thing per se or a Linnett thing? I gather it's the latter. Anyway, some of the "hidden" tracks are already listed on the tracklist. PsYchO-deLik sOundZ.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: September 08, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »

Is that really a Beach Boys thing per se or a Linnett thing? I gather it's the latter. Anyway, some of the "hidden" tracks are already listed on the tracklist. PsYchO-deLik sOundZ.

Yeah but these aren't exactly hidden if they are listed on the boxset.  Usually they like to bury stuff in the run out.  There is a bit of "Here Today" I believe on PSS, "Kiss Me Baby" on EH and H&V on HAWTHORNE.  I'm wondering if we'll get some of the same on this upcoming boxset?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »

Come on Capitol, were getting bored  Evil

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: September 08, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »

where is the proof that 'Tones' was written and produced by Carl and Carl alone?

the chord progression has clear ties to "Little Pad"... I would have loved to see "Hawaiian Song" and "Little Pad" included on TSS. even though they are from the Smiley sessions, Brian did include the Hawaiian theme in BWPS. he did not include "Cool Cool Water" which has been included in TSS.

"Clear ties" is misleading. It sounds more like "Wake The World" than anything else, to me. It's coincidental, as is any supposed connections to "Little Pad". Also, I was hoping TSS would lead to a stereo Smiley Smile with outtakes, but ;(

here's a mix of the two songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJGjjt1qeY

I performed some slight manipulation and "Tones" sounds pretty muddy since it was dropped to a lower key... but i'd say there's clear ties.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: September 08, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »

EVERYBODY should get their ears on "alternatebrianwilson presents smile" and listen to how "round round dig a hole in the ground" is used in vege-tables.  i guess i can assume this is the same way it's used elsewhere but it kinda makes the tune for me.  i LOVE it.  and everyone should hear that mix anyway, and hope it doesn't spoil TSS for you.  the seg into surf's up is just all kinds of good.  i hope they do it on TSS like in ABWPS
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: September 08, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »

Here's a subject that I don't think has been discussed yet...  What photo do you all think will be on the back of the LP jacket?  The standard picture of the Brian-less group (in better quality, obviously) from the mock-up back cover?  Something different?  I've always thought it was rather odd that they were using a group photo that didn't include the undisputed leader of the group and architect of the album.   I always suspected it might have been a mistake on the part of someone at Capitol who didn't know who was who in the group.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6398 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »

Here's a subject that I don't think has been discussed yet...  What photo do you all think will be on the back of the LP jacket?  The standard picture of the Brian-less group (in better quality, obviously) from the mock-up back cover?  Something different?  I've always thought it was rather odd that they were using a group photo that didn't include the undisputed leader of the group and architect of the album.   I always suspected it might have been a mistake on the part of someone at Capitol who didn't know who was who in the group.

Brian wasn't in the pic because he wasn't on tour.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: September 08, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »

I'd to that if the shirt wasn't so ugly  Grin

I think it's pretty nice, but no XXL available. Very upsetting!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 260 261 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx