gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:11:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728691 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: September 05, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »

Can't we put 'Beatles' under the filter? So that it will become:

Pooples

Bleatles

Clueles

or something?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: September 05, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »

Can't we put 'Beatles' under the filter? So that it will become:

Pooples

Bleatles

Clueles

or something?
Bring back the Rutles filter.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: September 05, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »

I think if Beach Boys had broken up after Surf's UP their legacy might rival the Beatles. But 40 years of Full House episodes have taken their toll.

Kokomo didn't help either! Roll Eyes

Damn catchy tune though Wink

Good tune but i always felt Kokomo was a fluke,a bit like Pee Wee Hermen knocking out Mike Tyson.
Gotta give credit where credits due though. Grin

Now the ORIGINAL version w/John Phillips is something completely different!
Simply great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CAIGNgEA8

/b

I actually think The Boys' version is better. Guess it has to do with being used to that one.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: September 05, 2011, 08:35:43 AM »

I'm not much for the idea of Beatles vs. Beach Boys. Or Sgt. Pepper vs. SMiLE. I don't see a need for the antagonistic word "versus" to be in there at all.

I love both, and I'm happy to have both...it's all fantastic. And I'd rather have more fantastic than have to choose and leave some out.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:13 AM »

I think if Beach Boys had broken up after Surf's UP their legacy might rival the Beatles. But 40 years of Full House episodes have taken their toll.

Kokomo didn't help either! Roll Eyes

Damn catchy tune though Wink

Good tune but i always felt Kokomo was a fluke,a bit like Pee Wee Hermen knocking out Mike Tyson.
Gotta give credit where credits due though. Grin

Now the ORIGINAL version w/John Phillips is something completely different!
Simply great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CAIGNgEA8

/b

I actually think The Boys' version is better. Guess it has to do with being used to that one.

The Beach Boys version is better.  Certainly more commercial, and that is due to Mike's chorus hook, and Carl's vocal.  Did you notice that Phillps' original version of Somewhere Near Japan is on that YouTube page, as well?  That's not as good as the Beach Boys' version, either, but I like it better than Phillips' original Kokomo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRR9Za258Bw&feature=related

Sorry for going off topic.  As you were.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: September 05, 2011, 08:59:20 AM »

Ignore.  Previous post was incorrect.  I was on Amazon.com.  Sorry...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:14:48 AM by Rich Panteluk » Logged
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: September 05, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:16:56 AM by Tune X » Logged
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: September 05, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:17:13 AM by Tune X » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6133 on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »

Still unavailable from any of the major French retailers. Outrageous, but I'm not surprised.  Undecided

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: September 05, 2011, 10:05:57 AM »

I'm not much for the idea of Beatles vs. Beach Boys. Or Sgt. Pepper vs. SMiLE. I don't see a need for the antagonistic word "versus" to be in there at all.

I love both, and I'm happy to have both...it's all fantastic. And I'd rather have more fantastic than have to choose and leave some out.

I agree with this completely.  We don't have to rank one over the other.  It is apples to oranges, really.  And.....whoa, I just realized the symbolism in what I just typed.  Apples=Beatles and Oranges=BBs (ya know, orange groves, California, etc.)

My point is, it's ok to personally prefer one over the other (I'm an orange sorta person), but it's all good.  Personally, I am closer to Beach Boys music because it actually transports me to sunny California.  They created a culture (some call it a myth, of course) with their music.  Even after they moved on from the surfing and cars, they still had (or have) that California thing going.  Beatles music is great, but it never took me to England.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6135 on: September 05, 2011, 10:10:26 AM »

Still unavailable from any of the major French retailers. Outrageous, but I'm not surprised.  Undecided

Sacre bleu, zut alors and similar Gallic clichés !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: September 05, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »

Merde!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6137 on: September 05, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »

I agree with this completely.  We don't have to rank one over the other.  It is apples to oranges, really.  And.....whoa, I just realized the symbolism in what I just typed.  Apples=Beatles and Oranges=BBs (ya know, orange groves, California, etc.)

My point is, it's ok to personally prefer one over the other (I'm an orange sorta person), but it's all good.  Personally, I am closer to Beach Boys music because it actually transports me to sunny California.  They created a culture (some call it a myth, of course) with their music.  Even after they moved on from the surfing and cars, they still had (or have) that California thing going.  Beatles music is great, but it never took me to England.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwwwkTiF2Tc

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: September 05, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »

Penny Lane?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: September 05, 2011, 11:29:05 AM »

The Beatles goal was not to take someone to a real place in England, but to transport an idea of love and, later on, intelectualism to people. They did a fine job of doing so.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #6140 on: September 05, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »

Penny Lane?

Did you know there is quite a big lobby in play to change the name of Penny Lane because it was named after a slave trader?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-394808/Bid-wipe-Penny-Lane-map.html

It's political correctness gone mad. I myself own several slaves. I treat them very well and even let them indulge in a bit of Hitler head paste-over-ing of an evening whilst singing the Horst Wessel SS song.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6141 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:26 AM »

Merde!

Pretty much  LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
ghost
« Reply #6142 on: September 05, 2011, 12:13:05 PM »

I think the VERSUS argument is as appropriate as any other topic here. Brian certainly felt a VERSUS feeling back then and I'm sure the rest of the band felt similarly. Arguing what's better, of course, tends not to go anywhere but in circles. What is better? What is worse? These are ultimately just opinions each reflecting more of the opiner than the opined thing. But isn't it entertaining?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: September 05, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »

The Beatles goal was not to take someone to a real place in England, but to transport an idea of love and, later on, intelectualism to people. They did a fine job of doing so.

True. The Beatles did not actively engage as much in the kind of locale myth-making that the Beach Boys engaged in. That being said, they (along with other major UK acts) couldn't help but do something like that even if it wasn't their intention. I think a lot of songs though from the mid-60s era gave an impression of what it was like in swinging London (Day Tripper, Paperback Writer, Penny Lane, Satisfaction, Dedicated Follower of Fashion, My Generation, The Kids Are Alright).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 01:32:36 PM by rockandroll » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: September 05, 2011, 01:08:03 PM »

True. The Beatles did not actively engage as much in the kind of locale myth-making that the Beach Boys engaged in. That being said, they (along with other major UK couldn't help but do something like that even if it wasn't their intention. I think a lot of songs though from the mid-60s era gave an impression of what it was like in swinging London (Day Tripper, Paperback Writer, Penny Lane, Satisfaction, Dedicated Follower of Fashion, My Generation, The Kids Are Alright).

Don't forget the ENTIRE Quadraphenia Album!

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: September 05, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »

True. The Beatles did not actively engage as much in the kind of locale myth-making that the Beach Boys engaged in. That being said, they (along with other major UK couldn't help but do something like that even if it wasn't their intention. I think a lot of songs though from the mid-60s era gave an impression of what it was like in swinging London (Day Tripper, Paperback Writer, Penny Lane, Satisfaction, Dedicated Follower of Fashion, My Generation, The Kids Are Alright).

Don't forget the ENTIRE Quadraphenia Album!

Yes. Though that's a case of kind of engineering a mythology in retrospect rather than actively creating it in the midst of things. But it's successful at what it does nevertheless.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: September 05, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »

Anyone else here with a music collection where, out of all the '60s pop/rock giants, Beach Boys are the only one?   

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: September 05, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »

Anyone else here with a music collection where, out of all the '60s pop/rock giants, Beach Boys are the only one?   

Quite the opposite for me, actually. I'm kind of an obsessive collector of music from that era. In fact, I think it considerably helps in understanding the Beach Boys phenomenon to immerse yourself in what was happening culturally in that decade.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:59:06 PM by rockandroll » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: September 05, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »

I love 60's music, Beach Boys, Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Kinks, Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Small Faces, Led Zeppelin, Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Young, not forgetting older artists such as Elvis, Sinatra, Ray Charles etc.  Grin
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: September 05, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »

There aren't really too many Beatles songs I like. I used to absolutely hate them and every song they ever did. But in the last couple of years some things have grown on me. I'm Only Sleeping is probably my favorite. But to be honest I find them hard to listen to, I really hate their "sound", production and mixing wise. They've always sounded really compressed to me, metallic, cold, I don't really know how to describe it.
Sgt. Peppers may have been the first album I ever bought, and I hated it when I first heard it. I remember being pretty annoyed that I had spent what little money I had, from a relative as a birthday gift or something, on Sgt. Peppers. Still to this day I can't say I enjoy one song on that album. The only one I can really even listen to is Day In The Life, but it's never really blown my mind. I guess it makes more sense if your British, but I don't get all that music hall stuff so the whole album is just lost on me. I still like it a million times more than s/t though, which I think is just awful.
I usually stick with Magical Mystery Tour or Revolver when I want to listen to some Beatles. But man, I just don't get what the big fuss is.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx