gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 10:10:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 218 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1735424 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: August 29, 2011, 06:48:05 PM »

BTW -

has there been any word about why VDP is not to be seen (as a commentator) in the box paraphernalia? I could think up several valid reasons myself why not. The man perhaps thought: now, I have a career of my own, do quite a bit of shows, just started a new label and do releases on that... and I did my fair share with BWPS already, and did not back down from interviews elsewhere, in which SMiLE was mentioned. I am fully entitled to return to my own work, instead of going through it all again.

Another: I have nothing to add of much news value any more. Everything's been said, I think.

Another: this is the shelved version of the project after all, and I wasn't treated that well at the time.

All fair, IMHO.

I was under the impression that Brian and Van Dyke weren't completely on the best of terms.  Can't remember why, or if anybody said why.  So that could have something to do with it. 

I still think that VDP's comments will be in there, and you guys are jumping to conclusions on minimal evidence.  However, suppose that you're right and VDP declined to supply any comments for the book/liner notes/whatever.  Will that reduce my enjoyment of my Smile box and 2CD set in any significant way?  Frankly, no.   Though his perspective would have been interesting, it's not as if we haven't heard him say anything about Smile before.  He's been interviewed many times both in print and on film.   In fact, some of those interviews were just a couple months ago when he was on tour.  He didn't seem at all upset about any aspect of the Smile box (in fact, he talked about having an appointment to preview the tracks and he compared the packaging to a Faberge egg).  Let's not forget that the dude will get songwriting royalties on most of the tracks in this release.  He might be just about to receive some of the biggest royalty checks of his life.

VDP will be heavily quoted on "The Making of the Smile Sessions" CD & DVD.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »

CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT

I've been thinking the Box set picture was never meant to get out when it did so out of panic Capitol gave the go ahead to Amazon to put up the pre orders.

I find it crazy that the box set would be up on amazon with no comment from anyone..

Capitol probably had a plan for all of this but it's started a little early for them

Honestly, I think that this is true, BUT I also believe that capitol knows thousands of people would preorder the set and have been watching its progress (Maybe even here!)

rogerlancelot
« Reply #5302 on: August 29, 2011, 07:37:47 PM »

So is this thing still coming out?

Anybody know what's going to be on it?

Does it come with a button?

Van Dyke who?

Grin
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: August 29, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »

I blame the whole thing on Al.  Razz I mean, can you imagine going to a cd store one day and finding the box set on a shelf, with no forwarning whatsoever?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: August 29, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »

So is this thing still coming out?

Anybody know what's going to be on it?

Does it come with a button?

Van Dyke who?

Grin
You missed the initial report when the tracklist for the box set was put up on Amazon. Andrew G Doe has been posting emoticons galore. When he does that, you know he's a happy camper. Grin

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: August 29, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »

9. Heroes And Villains: Mission Pak [Heroes And Villains Session: 1/3/67]

It does tie in to other Smile themes considering the Mission Pak sales pitch involved 'sending California to the rest of the country'. Or it could tie in that Mission Pak did most of their business at Christmas, with people sending Mission Pak gift boxes of fresh fruit as Christmas gifts. Or maybe the clue is in finding a Mission Pak jingle of some kind, or tying that into the Christmas season somehow.

Probably the most intriguing song title on that list so far...

I wondered about this track earlier, (post #5171 of this thread) but the thread is moving so fast I don't think many people saw it AND I meant to reply to your post to begin with!

Could Mission Pak be the vocal track we now know as "Soul Made Beautiful"?

On the Heroes And Villains Sessions Parts 1 & 2 CD (Wilson Records 1001), when they are rehearsing this, at about the 4:00 mark, Brian says (I think) "Come on you guys, pull through! Happy Happy Happy Mission Pak singing sound!

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: August 29, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »

I just plunked down 178 digital dollars for 11-1 estimated delivery.  I trust it will have EVERYTHING!!!!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: August 29, 2011, 07:55:40 PM »

Should I break down and pre-order it? I just don't want to spend $150, and then find one for $70 or under.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »

Should I break down and pre-order it? I just don't want to spend $150, and then find one for $70 or under.

Nowhere will have it cheaper than amazon IMO..

And, it's been said a million times on here but it deserves to be said again. If the price drops they will refund you the difference

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: August 29, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

I just went on Amazon to check the prices. It looks like the price has gone up by $20. On an unrelated note, I just read the track listing for the 6 cd Pink Floyd Dark Side of The Moon set. Oh. My. God.  Thud Ahhh!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: August 29, 2011, 08:06:27 PM »

What if... VDP made some select comments about a certain follically challenged Beach Boy, whose lawyers felt it not too proper, and threw out the Van Dyke with the bathwater?

Not that straightforward.

How about this? Van Dyke's interview/comments included some sniping. MEL objected, and after some back-and-forth Van Dyke refused to participate if his criticisms were going to be edited.

I believe it. Although those who believe that Mike offered heartfelt support from the beginning for Brian's efforts may not.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: August 29, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »

I hope the box doesn't go above 200$
I got the 2CD set for only 25$ great deal...

ghost
« Reply #5312 on: August 29, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »

Smile was actually Mike's idea. True story. One day Mike was in his Arabian tent smoking reefer when he said to his cousin Brian, "hey man, we should like, make an album that's, a teenage symphony to GOD. you dig it man? it'll be like a zen koan of sound!" At first cousin Brian was skeptical being mostly a corporate lackey caring for nothing but fashion funds but soon realized that millions of stoners across the U$A would buy the album and make him even richer.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5313 on: August 29, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »

It was a regular canvas tent, and he was smoking Newports.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »

I hope the box doesn't go above 200$
I got the 2CD set for only 25$ great deal...
If you wait long enough you could find a used copy on e-bay for under $10. That's another reason why I'm torn between pre ordering and just being patient and waiting to find a cheaper copy.

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: August 29, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »

You know, people (that is, the less obsessed and knowledgeable) will hear the sessions when this thing comes out, and they will hear just how many vocals were actually recorded for the unfinished/abandoned album that allegedly had a lot of dissent from within, and they might just start to see the story differently.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
ghost
« Reply #5316 on: August 29, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »

i've heard some unofficial material but really not too much stuff besides the tracking sessions for the music. but if al jardine is anything like he was at the Ego sessions "folky shitty" were his words to describe the song. although he was an obedient elf at least and performed his part admirably - one wonders though, was Murry right all along? i must think that if Al is singing it while thinking it sucks then we're not getting Full Jardine. it's a fake plastic Alan that performs a vocal duty like a vacuum cleaner whirs once you turn it on. brian's voice was legit he got into the spaces he sang about. that's what makes brian on the level of lennon & mccartney while aljardine and mike love OF THEMSELVES certainly are not. although take paul off that list - he sounds vapid half the time too.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: August 29, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »

So how many people are going to take a voluntary absence from the board between 11/1 and whenever they get the set--which for many people will be a day or several days later?

How many will want to listen if it's leaked before 11/1?  How about the Amazon sound clips?

A lot of tough decisions to make.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: August 29, 2011, 08:43:45 PM »

I won't listen to the sound clips and I the first time I hear it will be on the vinyl, with headphones, having sent the wife and kids away, totally alone.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: August 29, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »

When Al says "folky shitty," he's describing the song? I was under the impression he was using the term to ask Brian if his vocal delivery was too folky shitty, not that he thought the actual song was. And, to me at least, he seems to really want to do a good job.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
ghost
« Reply #5320 on: August 29, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »

So how many people are going to take a voluntary absence from the board between 11/1 and whenever they get the set--which for many people will be a day or several days later?

How many will want to listen if it's leaked before 11/1?  How about the Amazon sound clips?

A lot of tough decisions to make.

i recommend not listening to amazon sound clips. obviously if it was an album you were testing before buying do so but not with this. you should make it special for yourself since it obviously means so much to you. don't cheapen it for yourself. make it good. do what iron horse-apples is doing and order some of your favorite stuff to enjoy with it. have a good time, it's ok to have a good time.
ghost
« Reply #5321 on: August 29, 2011, 08:46:57 PM »

When Al says "folky sh*tty," he's describing the song? I was under the impression he was using the term to ask Brian if his vocal delivery was too folky sh*tty, not that he thought the actual song was. And, to me at least, he seems to really want to do a good job.

I thought it meant at least the lyrics, he is protesting and Brian has to reassure him dismissingly/lightly saying something like "it will be great you'll see " paraphrased from memory. i took it as a comment on the lyrics he was singing and that this new sound would be their sound and HIS sound - al jardine had an ego too we forget due to his potted plant edginess.
ghost
« Reply #5322 on: August 29, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »

i actually reckon that none of the beach boys besides brian really even GOT pet sounds. my feeling is that if those guys really liked it they would find some way to play it live and groove on those songs nightly but never have that's not me, don't talk, ego, here today, just wasn't, pet sounds, let's go been played by the beach boys in any worthwhile listenable formation. i know there's an answer could've been a cool song live. bruce on keyboards-done deal. al on guitar and vocals- d0ne deal. carl on guitar and backups, mike on vocals and tambourines maybe he could learn bass harmonica. dennis drums. would';ve been great. I KNOW THERE'S AN ANSWER UHH UHHH
 I KNOW NOW   BUT   I     HAVE TO FIND IT   BY MYSELF be doobie do wey do
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: August 29, 2011, 09:08:44 PM »

What if... VDP made some select comments about a certain follically challenged Beach Boy, whose lawyers felt it not too proper, and threw out the Van Dyke with the bathwater?

Not that straightforward.

How about this? Van Dyke's interview/comments included some sniping. MEL objected, and after some back-and-forth Van Dyke refused to participate if his criticisms were going to be edited.

I believe it. Although those who believe that Mike offered heartfelt support from the beginning for Brian's efforts may not.

I think VDP wrote liner notes, then Mike confronted him and asked him to explain them.  VDP says "I have no excuse, sir," turns on his heel and walks off.  And the project comes full circle.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: August 29, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

I keep finding something new that blows my mind every time I read the box-set track listing..

From a fans point of view it quite literally is the holy grail, a dream we've all had come to life

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 210 211 212 [213] 214 215 216 217 218 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx