gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681311 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 09:01:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1748804 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »

I'm going to be naughty and dl that sonbitch when it leaks  Grin

Will buy the box, obviously, but i'm really bad with restraint.

sh*t you & me too although I'd love to hold out and hear this thing for the fist time on my cd player. Ain't going to happen alas.

If I wasn't a regular here, waiting for the official release might be feasible but to keep it as a surprise would also mean abstaining from smileysmile.net for the month or so between leak and official release which would call for superhuman levels of self restraint.

Ed!t: Hell, I'm going to do it. I think the moment the leak posts begin I will step away and wait for the official release. I blew so many christmas and birthday surprises from rooting through my parents' wardrobe, I owe it to myself! Also weeks of downer posts about Mark mismatching the speed or pitch on song x before the Smile Sessions even hit the shelves will depress the hell out of me.

If you're able to pull this off, I salute you SIR!!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: July 22, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »

I'm going to be naughty and dl that sonbitch when it leaks  Grin

sh*t you & me too although I'd love to hold out and hear this thing for the fist time on my cd player. Ain't going to happen alas.

If I wasn't a regular here, waiting for the official release might be feasible but to keep it as a surprise would also mean abstaining from smileysmile.net for the month or so between leak and official release which would call for superhuman levels of self restraint.

Ed!t: Hell, I'm going to do it. I think the moment the leak posts begin I will step away and wait for the official release. I blew so many christmas and birthday surprises from rooting through my parents' wardrobe, I owe it to myself! Also weeks of downer posts about Mark mismatching the speed or pitch on song x before the Smile Sessions even hit the shelves will depress the hell out of me.

I can honestly say i will be the first one on the leak links  Wink

But I agree with you on one thing, I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable critical posts about  the box set  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: July 23, 2011, 12:09:52 AM »

I'm going to be naughty and dl that sonbitch when it leaks  Grin

If you're able to pull this off, I salute you SIR!!

Ha ha! I'm back tracking already because another idea that occurred to me was that if/when TSS leak we start a spoiler free thread where those that don't want to listen can still discuss all the pre release hype etc. Might just find I'm the only one in that thread though!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: July 23, 2011, 01:05:50 AM »

No way in hell should any of us here be DLing this set, especially this set.

Even if we'll be buying the set in all its multi-formats anyway, it's firstly an insult to ML and AB, our fellow board members who've put this package  together.

More coldly, it sends the wrong message to Capitol EMI, that even the hardcore fans are  scheming to make their investment in archive releases worthless.

Many of us here have waited decades for this set, the Holy Grail in many eyes. if you can't afford to buy, get a paper round, quit drinking for a month or something, quick, before it comes out... That's why they're holding it back, to give you time to save up.

Aye, we all download home recorded gigs, the odd track we would never see released, and we trade stuff under the cover of PMs.

But download TSS and talk openly about downloading TSS and I suspect we'll never see another archive Beach Boys release.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2554 on: July 23, 2011, 02:07:43 AM »

Many of us here have waited decades for this set, the Holy Grail in many eyes. if you can't afford to buy, get a paper round, quit drinking for a month or something, quick, before it comes out...

I have to take considerable exception, most respectfully, with that statement: I've been out of work since March last year, have been applying for jobs continually and in all that time had precisely four interviews. I don't drink or smoke, I don't run a car. To buy the box would cost roughly two, three weeks state benefits, which right now are my only income and more important to pay for utilities, housing, food and phone (you try job-hunting offline). Unless something happens between now and late September, I certainly won't be able to afford the box and probably not the 2CD set either. Smile is hugely important to me, but not more so than a warm house and food on the table.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:09:16 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: July 23, 2011, 02:49:57 AM »

Many of us here have waited decades for this set, the Holy Grail in many eyes. if you can't afford to buy, get a paper round, quit drinking for a month or something, quick, before it comes out...

I have to take considerable exception, most respectfully, with that statement: I've been out of work since March last year, have been applying for jobs continually and in all that time had precisely four interviews. I don't drink or smoke, I don't run a car. To buy the box would cost roughly two, three weeks state benefits, which right now are my only income and more important to pay for utilities, housing, food and phone (you try job-hunting offline). Unless something happens between now and late September, I certainly won't be able to afford the box and probably not the 2CD set either. Smile is hugely important to me, but not more so than a warm house and food on the table.

No intention to offend Andrew, and apologies for any unintentional hurt caused. The comment wasn't aimed at you – you haven't been threatening on the forum to download Mark and Alan's hard work.

And I didn't mean to come across like Norman Tebbit!

I have been there, thankfully many years ago, and know where you're coming from. I wish you every success in your search –  a talented guy with integrity such as yourself should be being snapped up by an appreciative employer.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 02:51:06 AM by John Manning » Logged

over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: July 23, 2011, 04:06:58 AM »

I can honestly say i will be the first one on the leak links  Wink

But I agree with you on one thing, I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable critical posts about  the box set  Undecided

You guys are right. There's a storm of criticism coming and it won't be pretty.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2557 on: July 23, 2011, 04:20:04 AM »

I can honestly say i will be the first one on the leak links  Wink

But I agree with you on one thing, I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable critical posts about  the box set  Undecided

You guys are right. There's a storm of criticism coming and it won't be pretty.

Of course - someone, somewhere will be sure to bitch that their personal favourite five seconds hasn't been included because without it, the whole box is pointless... others will make a fuss about the liners and Dom's article, or the photos/sessions/whatever. The sequence of Disc 1 will be torn apart... the stereo/mono mixes will be dismissed as nothing like they should be. The packaging itself will be pulled apart.

Frankly, were I Capitol and Mark & Alan my impulse would be to say "f*ck it, we'll please ourselves because whatever we do, some asshat will complain about it".

In my opinion - which, as we all know, is not only informed but also the only one that counts in these here parts* - the only valid cause for complaint would be the use of non-Smile era material (i.e. anything recorded pre-8/3/66 post-5/19/67, although I'll grant Carl's 1968 vocal on "Cabin Essence"  and all of "GV" a hall pass) and the construction of out-fakes a la Anthology 2 unless there was credible supporting evidence.

[* for them as has either an SOH bypass or plain don't like me, this is what we humans call 'a self-deprecatory joke': I'm not being serious.]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:21:14 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: July 23, 2011, 04:40:16 AM »

I have hopes and aspirations for the box obviously – I hope they don't go overboard representing GVs as we have had plenty of that already; I hope they don't omit the stuff that might have been omitted back in 66/67, such as You're Welcome (actually Mark's already said it'll be represented in the Sessions section of the box) and He Gives Speeches; I hope we get a trunk-load of H&V sections, With Me Tonights, Cabin Essence, and more – but frankly I won't object whatever has been done to it or the way in which it is presented. I might make comment on the way favourite and none-fave stuff has been treated, but just having this stuff in the real world will be cause for ecstasy.

I've said it before, too, that although these sets are likely to be the most luxurious representation of SMiLE to come our way EVER, I don't think we'll have heard the last of it. I'm sure some new snippet or acetate will surface post-release, and that as long we behave ourself and don't nix its commercial viability by downloading sub-standard MP3s and such (or even by talk of downloading sub-standard MP3s and such), they'll be the jewel in the crown of future BBs compilations and the like.

Incidentally, there's not been much talk of the inclusion of a DVD in the set mentioned in the Spin CD ad in the new Mojo (which might be an assumption on Spin's part, admittedly) or the single disc version that was on the recent Italian EMI release schedule.

Not getting a lot of work done today…

FUNł
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: July 23, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »

when the tracklist drops im planning to deluge the p2ps & trackers with mistagged transcodes of post-1980 bb material.  Banana
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2560 on: July 23, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »

when the tracklist drops im planning to deluge the p2ps & trackers with mistagged transcodes of post-1980 bb material.  Banana

I will do my part by uploading thunderous farts to the binary newsgroups with matching titles per the boxed set.  Evil
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: July 23, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »

I guess talking openly about illegally downloading this box is unwise and I didn't mean to stir trouble. I have every intention of buying the deluxe set but was merely debating whether I downloaded the leak (if there is one) first. Morally I can square that with myself as I'll be buying it anyway. Probably won't dl though as I think this beaut needs to be experienced in its full, physical, tangible, lenticular (if the rumours are to be believed) glory!!  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:04:17 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 23, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »

Every time somebody illegally downloads a leak (when it happens) a Capitol lawyer kills a kitten.

No mas, por favor.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: July 23, 2011, 05:08:37 PM »

I guess talking openly about illegally downloading this box is unwise and I didn't mean to stir trouble. I have every intention of buying the deluxe set but was merely debating whether I downloaded the leak (if there is one) first. Morally I can square that with myself as I'll be buying it anyway. Probably won't dl though as I think this beaut needs to be experienced in its full, physical, tangible, lenticular (if the rumours are to be believed) glory!!  

Well as I brought it up, I guess I should be apologising! I am only greedy and want the music as soon as i possibly can, but the boxset will stick with me for life. I know that.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: July 23, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »

As soon as it appears on torrent I'm downloading that  mother! (Of course I'll buy the set when it comes out officially)
Ain't technology a GREAT thing?!

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2565 on: July 23, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »

No WAY am I downloading this thing if/when it leaks early.

I'd rather wait the week or two and rip open the plastic-wrap and smell the vinyl and ink in the booklets and slip out the CD and play that mother on my beautiful stereo system. THAT will be a great day.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 23, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »

No WAY am I downloading this thing if/when it leaks early.

I'd rather wait the week or two and rip open the plastic-wrap and smell the vinyl and ink in the booklets and slip out the CD and play that mother on my beautiful stereo system. THAT will be a great day.
YEAH!!  ME too.  all except that part about ripping it open. I'm leaving mine sealed, cuz it'll be worth more in the collection that way

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: July 23, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »

Screw keeping it wrapped! I`m going to play the hell out of my Smile discs.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: July 23, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »

It's gotten to be the point that I think I might drop dead with excitement when I get the box set in my hands..

It just seems so surreal

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bsten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: July 24, 2011, 12:53:33 AM »

What - TSS leak links?? Do we really need that??

Hasn't TSS ("The Smile Stuff") been leaking for years..??  Cool Guy

dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: July 24, 2011, 01:25:15 AM »

Hasn't TSS ("The Smile Stuff") been leaking for years..??  Cool Guy

Yes it has ,that's why I'm not as excited about the release as some of the others on this forum.
 If you haven't heard any of the bootlegs before, I'd say it WOULD be worth the wait. However, unless there's some new stuff that's been locked in the vaults that no one has heard before, I wont be holding my breath.
I hope I'm wrong though.  Undecided

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2571 on: July 24, 2011, 01:54:09 AM »

Hasn't TSS ("The Smile Stuff") been leaking for years..??  Cool Guy

Yes it has ,that's why I'm not as excited about the release as some of the others on this forum.
 If you haven't heard any of the bootlegs before, I'd say it WOULD be worth the wait. However, unless there's some new stuff that's been locked in the vaults that no one has heard before, I wont be holding my breath.
I hope I'm wrong though.  Undecided

New songs - something we've never heard or even heard of before ?  About as likely as being hit by a UFO piloted by Elvis while waterskiing behind the Loch Ness Monster.

New session tapes - I'd be hugely surprised if there wasn't.

dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: July 24, 2011, 02:22:59 AM »

Hasn't TSS ("The Smile Stuff") been leaking for years..??  Cool Guy

I hope I'm wrong though.  Undecided

New songs - something we've never heard or even heard of before ?  About as likely as being hit by a UFO piloted by Elvis while waterskiing behind the Loch Ness Monster.

New session tapes - I'd be hugely surprised if there wasn't.

I said new STUFF Andrew-IE stuff that hasn't been released. In other words a version of a song or take which the general public hasn't heard.

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: July 24, 2011, 02:25:30 AM »

Get out- I just recorded that same scenario on video while visiting the UK last month...unfortunatley the TSA confiscated my tape upon arrival in America...
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: July 24, 2011, 06:07:55 AM »

How cool would it be if they found the full vocal to "Barnyard"!?  Grin

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx