gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:22:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 375 376 [377] 378 379 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1737622 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9400 on: December 13, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »

I have a question for you guys. Seems like most of the Smile-o-Philes have gone home after the new SMiLE release.

What's the general consenus of the new Smile release? I don't have time to read all of the board and I just wonder what the experts think. Do you think it was somewhat of a "fan mix" by Linett? Are there things missing or edited in the wrong places or were there edits not so great or could have been done better? Or is this new release considered an excellent job without many detractors. I saw one post where the guy listed a whole bunch of stuff that was on boots that he thought should have made the release. I know everyone has their preferences and you KNEW everyone wasn't going to be happy, but are there a lot of unhappy people or are there more happy than not? If nothing else, the sound quality of the tracks is superb.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9401 on: December 13, 2011, 08:38:49 AM »

I'm happy to see prices going down. Maybe it will encourage more people to buy it over the holidays?
Can't wait to open my box on Dec. 25.....

Sure that it doesn't contain merely some tiny confetti cannon?  Evil
Hope not.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9402 on: December 13, 2011, 09:30:39 AM »

Well, "monicker" is displeased with some of the engineering/mixing/editing choices on Disc 1 and some folks agree with him. I hear these issues as well, but am not troubled by them very much (some of it simply comes down to the quality of the existing session tapes). Almost everyone seems to dislike the manipulation of "whispering winds" on the outro to "Holidays; a few have taken issue with some of the other fly-ins. I would have preferred a more elegant approach to the "I'm In Great Shape" and "Barnyard" fly-ins (along with the "whispering winds" part), but find everything else to be very appealing.

I think the re-arrangement of all of the songs themselves (especially "Vega-Tables") is fantastic; only "The Child Is Father Of The Man" seems a bit off to me (don't care for the moody piano part placed near the beginning). The sequencing now seems perfect to me (with "I'm In Great Shape" leading into "Barnyard" followed by the two-part "My Only Sunshine"). "Heroes & Villains Part 2" strikes me as just right. I have no complaint whatsoever with how the session discs are presented - just the right amount of material representing each session. I especially like the rough "Heroes & Villains" mixes and the "Good Vibrations" master sessions assembly which are very enjoyable to listen to as their own tracks.

The packaging is the best I have ever seen and goes way beyond what I expected to see.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9403 on: December 13, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »

Excellent detailed synopsis, Roger.  Agree with you on the great accompanying documentation, especially in the box set.

Who agrees with Roger?  Anybody else with their own feel for the CD/vinyl tracks? Did the new Smile '67 blow you away, or being picky, do you think it was slowed down a little bit? 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9404 on: December 13, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »

I think Roger's done a good job of summing up the general consensus on this.  More casual enthusiasts have generally been quite favorable while some diehards have been more critical:  The fly-ins have been a source of controversy (most notably in Look, Holidays and Dada), while others object to the use of the BWPS template (as opposed to the traditional back cover 12 track listing).  I think that the 'approximation' piece was bound to be controversial, but I've heard less complaints about the raw sessions (the Dada/CCW material and the Wonderful takes were particular highlights).  

I also concur with RR about the new assemblages, particularly V-T and that great rough version of H&V that they tucked away at the end of disc 4.  The new Child edit felt choppy to me as well.  I thought the '67 Surf's Up was interesting, but it certainly didn't supplant the original.  Most folks love the vocal montage, myself included.

So on the whole, given the level of expectation here, I think the new set has fared pretty well, though some longtime fans have dissented.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9405 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »

Good analysis & summary so far, I agree with Roger & Tristero.

To add a few tidbits: there was a hoo-ha about the absence of backing vocals on the instrumental/animal noise-only BY, but that's been explained on Linnet & Boyd's Icon Fetch internet radio interview. Apparently it bears more relation to a recently-discovered acetate mix, so that's why they decided on that mix (rather than the one with vocals which showed up on the review stream). An odd decision to all but a producer, but at least one that's based on a plausible rationale.

Just to say a bit more about the sessions discs. I don't think enough has been said about just how incredible it is to hear everything in a basically-linear, song-by-song survey of almost every key session you'd want to have, all in (generally) excellent audio quality.  It's brought a level of cohesion to the Smile experience that I never thought even remotely possible. C-man deserves major credit for the sessionography. The art and photography are outta this world (strange omission = no input from VDP - apparently for a good, though at present, unknown-to-all-but-hallowed-insiders reasons).

Also, the vinyl experience is amazing. Side 4 is almost like a snap-shot of the whole set - it's probably my single most treasured piece of the whole package (apart from 67 SU and CIFOTM in good quality). The stereo mixes of Veggies & WC are mind-blowing.

So, yeah, there are going to be quibbles (mine are basically the same as those already listed, and I'd add that I still prefer the Annie Wallace fan mix of SU - good thing the '67 version is so sublime). But as a set, it's an incredible experience.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9406 on: December 13, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »

I would like to have heard some of the instrumental overdubs isolated, such as the flutes on the Holidays verses.

I know it was a space issue though, but I could have lost one of the sessions for those flutes.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: December 13, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »

Good analysis & summary so far, I agree with Roger & Tristero.

And I'd add UK Surf.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't include the "Truck Drivin' Man" section isolated. I know it was added in '68, but still, they could have explained why they included it in the book. At least they included the "Three Score and Five" lyrics to Heroes, but that was on the 2-fer previously and was pretty much a no-brainer.....

earcandy
Smiley Smile Associate

"Humor, too, is one of His creations."

View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: December 13, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »

Of course there is the album that came between Smile and Wild Honey...the Holy Grail of Beach Boys-dom: Remember The Zen?

Slated to appear as Capitol DT 2581, the album was withdrawn because of Mike Love's veto.

It was to be Brian's "Teenage Zen-phony To God"...

AGD: "For foder's sake don't encourage him !"
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: December 13, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »

...I was a little disappointed that they didn't include the "Truck Drivin' Man" section isolated. I know it was added in '68, but still, they could have explained why they included it in the book...

I'm pretty sure the "Truck Driving Man" vocal only exists on the '68 "Cabinessence" master (like Carl's lead) and can only be electronically isolated, something the set producers probably didn't think was acceptable even as a hidden track.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:23:20 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: December 13, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure the "Truck Driving Man" vocal only exists on the '68 "Cabinessence" master (like Carl's lead) and can only be electronically isolated

Well, somebody (fan?) isolated it already and did a great job! That's why I don't see why Linett couldn't have done it.

But they probably didn't want to go to the '68 masters - it would almost be sacrilege and not true to the '66/'67 recordings.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: December 13, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »

My only complaints are with Disc 1. I still don't understand that if they stuck that closely with BWPS, then why did they change Look and Child...? Movement 2 of BWPS is the most satisfying piece of music that I have ever heard. The 4 songs just fit together seamlessly. Has Mark or Alan ever explained why this was done?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: December 13, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

From what I understand, BWPS was used as a template only where existing evidence wouldn't step in - Moving Great Shape, for instance, reinstating the Barnshine fade.

Also, some of the reasons that piece of music fits together so seamlessly is that they've changed it in 2004! The end of Look, Child, and Wonderful would have had to have altered either with quick edits, or pitch-shifting.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9413 on: December 13, 2011, 02:06:59 PM »

My only musical problem with the finished album is the whispering winds vocals, I got used to all the other fly-ins pretty quickly. and I guess there is this lingering uncomfortableness in the back of my mind that all those tracks would've never fit on a single LP in 66/67.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »

I think the 'whispering winds' vocals on Holidays are AWESOME!

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: December 13, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »

My only complaints are with Disc 1. I still don't understand that if they stuck that closely with BWPS, then why did they change Look and Child...? Movement 2 of BWPS is the most satisfying piece of music that I have ever heard. The 4 songs just fit together seamlessly. Has Mark or Alan ever explained why this was done?
Of course, they did take some liberties with the BWPS format, most notably with the 'Barnyard Suite' (to good effect, IMO--so glad they got Barnshine back in there!).  Vega-Tables was also significantly different from BWPS and all the better for it.  I don't think there was any way that they were going to be able to replicate the beauty and flow of the second movement of BWPS, given how unfinished Look and Child remain from the original sessions.  Interestingly, that was my favorite part of BWPS and my least favorite piece of the approximation, while the third movement was my least favorite before and now I like it best on disc 1.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: December 13, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »

Of course, they did take some liberties with the BWPS format, most notably with the 'Barnyard Suite' (to good effect, IMO--so glad they got Barnshine back in there!).  Vega-Tables was also significantly different from BWPS and all the better for it.  I don't think there was any way that they were going to be able to replicate the beauty and flow of the second movement of BWPS, given how unfinished Look and Child remain from the original sessions.  Interestingly, that was my favorite part of BWPS and my least favorite piece of the approximation, while the third movement was my least favorite before and now I like it best on disc 1.
I agree, I love side 3 of TSS. Much better than BWPS. Been listening to JMZ's stereo Smile and he nailed Movement 2. It's amazing that now TSS is released, I wind up listening to the fan mixes created near or since it's release.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: December 13, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »

I agree, I love side 3 of TSS. Much better than BWPS. Been listening to JMZ's stereo Smile and he nailed Movement 2. It's amazing that now TSS is released, I wind up listening to the fan mixes created near or since it's release.
I still haven't heard the much lauded JMZ mix.  I guess I'm waiting to hear more of the new fan mixes that emerge in the wake of this new set.  We've already gotten some good stuff and I'm sure there's more in the pipeline.

And yes, I'm one of the few who prefers the fly-in on Holidays to some of the others like Look and Dada.  Maybe I like the idea more than the execution there, but still, I think it was more effective than those distracting "Child" bits on Look.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: December 13, 2011, 03:29:40 PM »

I think it was more effective than those distracting "Child" bits on Look.

I don't care for that at all. I thought it was really unnecessary.

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9419 on: December 13, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »

Andrew G. Doe said:

"A mind-blowing unified concept album"

Unified ? It's all over the place - American history, nature/elements, humour, human life. It's also not unified in the most important regard: never finished.

Everything I listed in the list you are trying to discount via this argument has to do with the spiritual experience. It can all be related to the spiritual experience. The only claim to SMiLE that Brian ever made back in the day was that it was spiritual...that was the entire focus of the direction.

I have to point out a tendency of yours at this point Andrew. When you explain other people's thought processes & actions you tend to side with the simple. You default to the dumb. You think other people naturally think in a simplistic way.

Try it the other way around for a change.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9420 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »

I have to point out a tendency of yours at this point Andrew. When you explain other people's thought processes & actions you tend to side with the simple. You default to the dumb. You think other people naturally think in a simplistic way.

That's because I am dumb - you told me so and by crackey, it's true. Life has become soooooooooooooooooooooo much easier, better, less taxing, since I realised that any advanced thought, appreciation and criticism I attempted in the past 40-odd years was doomed to fail because of my innate stupidity. I cannot thank you enough.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: December 13, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »

That's because I am dumb - you told me so and by crackey, it's true. Life has become soooooooooooooooooooooo much easier, better, less taxing, since I realised that any advanced thought, appreciation and criticism I attempted in the past 40-odd years was doomed to fail because of my innate stupidity. I cannot thank you enough.

So if you don't like it when it's done to you, why do you do it to brian wilson

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: December 13, 2011, 10:28:32 PM »

Do we really have to go down this path again?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: December 13, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »

Is there some universally agreed-upon definition of what a "spiritual experience" is?  When people talk about music in "spiritual" terms, I gather that they tend to be talking more about emotional experiences rather than mystical or esoteric ones.  I'm guessing out of any number of people who'd say they found music "spiritual" you'd find very few who claimed to have actually seen god.

Brian saying the album was supposed to be a "spiritual experience" is like him saying it would contribute to world peace, or something - a nice enough thought, but also toothless and benign.  It's entirely too vague a sentiment from which to derive any kind of ironclad intent.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9424 on: December 13, 2011, 10:51:42 PM »

The omission of any winking/grinning smileys was deliberate. Bill amuses me, endlessly, as only a bigot can.  As for Brian... sorry, don't see the point or the relevance.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 375 376 [377] 378 379 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx