gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:31:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728493 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: November 30, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »

and don't forget ghost.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:53 AM »

Oh ghost, that boardwide phenomenon. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: November 30, 2011, 07:01:59 AM »

Since the box has been out for almost a month now, we should all reminisce about the longest thread in smiley smile board history. Can't believe the wild ride happened after this thread was started way back in March...

Dammit, SMiLE Brian, I was all hoping my dismissive post would be the perfect finale to this thread, and then you come along  LOL
Well i was getting nostalgic about this thread when it had characters like "Andrew G. Foe" vs. AGD. The August waiting period was epic in the stuff that went down between posters. LOL

Time seems to run twice as fast since Nov 1, doesn't it?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: November 30, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »

Since the box has been out for almost a month now, we should all reminisce about the longest thread in smiley smile board history. Can't believe the wild ride happened after this thread was started way back in March...

Dammit, SMiLE Brian, I was all hoping my dismissive post would be the perfect finale to this thread, and then you come along  LOL
Well i was getting nostalgic about this thread when it had characters like "Andrew G. Foe" vs. AGD. The August waiting period was epic in the stuff that went down between posters. LOL

Time seems to run twice as fast since Nov 1, doesn't it?
We are all living in heaven these days with SMiLE out.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: November 30, 2011, 07:33:40 AM »

That'd work fantastically in this essay:

'... the post war malaise that affected the writers of early 20th century manifested itself in beautiful, and often difficult literature, but would have been avoided if they had only bought the Smile Sessions"

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: November 30, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »

I wonder what Bill and Phil are up too??
Phil SMiLE came out!
Bill it is what it is!!

What is Andrew's Fern doing?

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: November 30, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »

Phil SMiLE came out!
Bill it is what it is!!

We need an honour role!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Andrews Fern
Smiley Smile Associate

"Water me", I begged.

View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: November 30, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »

Phil SMiLE came out!
Bill it is what it is!!

So nice of you to ask! After weeks of banishment in Andrew's basement (for "insolence" he claimed), I was finally rescued by someone who values good foliage. I've been given a sunny spot near a window, and near enough to the music room to enjoy whatever sounds are playing. No Smile box set, oddly enough, but my new owner has been more than kind. Some chap named Phil...

"I am not a potted plant". (Brendan Sullivan)
"I am". (Andrew's Fern)
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: December 01, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »

PopMatters has listed SMiLE Sessions as #1 of the 25 best "reissues" of all time!
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/151768-the-25-best-re-issues-of-2011/

I agree.
Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 01, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »

PopMatters has listed SMiLE Sessions as #1 of the 25 best "reissues" of all time!

I agree.
Sorry, that list is just 2011, but it's still nice to see it on top.  I kept waiting for PopMatters to give TSS a proper review.  They had plenty of room for Achtung Baby!
WaxOn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9285 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:55 PM »

I agree.
Sorry, that list is just 2011, but it's still nice to see it on top.  I kept waiting for PopMatters to give TSS a proper review.  They had plenty of room for Achtung Baby!

Whoops yes - this year.
I'm thinking we won't see PM do a review as it's really getting to be a bit late.
A U2 review pretty much says it all.
2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: December 02, 2011, 05:50:12 AM »

well CDWOW have finally managed to deliver my 2CD set, ordered in September. It's a good job I didn't die last month or I would have been really pissed off
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: December 02, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »

well CDWOW have finally managed to deliver my 2CD set, ordered in September. It's a good job I didn't die last month or I would have been really pissed off

The sound you hear inside is the button.

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: December 02, 2011, 08:05:27 AM »

You know, it's amazing that this went off relatively hitchlessly. No year long delays, no Brian balking at the last moment, no braindeaded decisions we've come to expect from Capitol and the Beach Boys (like, say, not including Frank Holmes' artwork, or using anything but the SMiLE shop cover). That, in itself is a minor miracle. If a 50th anniversary boxset actually comes out next year with goodies like Wouldn't it Be Nice (To Live Again) and California Feelin' 74, then these two years have got to be some of the best ever for a Beach Boys fan since, say, the '60s.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »

You know, it's amazing that this went off relatively hitchlessly. No year long delays, no Brian balking at the last moment, no braindeaded decisions we've come to expect from Capitol and the Beach Boys (like, say, not including Frank Holmes' artwork, or using anything but the SMiLE shop cover). That, in itself is a minor miracle. If a 50th anniversary boxset actually comes out next year with goodies like Wouldn't it Be Nice (To Live Again) and California Feelin' 74, then these two years have got to be some of the best ever for a Beach Boys fan since, say, the '60s.

...true dat. Excellent observations. And the box doesn't feature 'Powered By Pepsodent' on the outside either. We are so blessed...

2 and a half
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: December 02, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »

Thought so - I was going to check but I had a glass of wine in my hand... Smiley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: December 03, 2011, 03:00:34 AM »

Thought so - I was going to check but I had a glass of wine in my hand... Smiley

LOL LOL LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9292 on: December 03, 2011, 03:23:18 AM »

Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: December 04, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »

What happened to the "special goodie" that people were supposed to get from Brian's site in November  Huh
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: December 04, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »

I have it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: December 05, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »

I have it.

Congratulations...

Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9296 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »

18th Of May said:
Bill it is what it is!!

This is what I've been telling YOU for a freakin' decade at least!!!

To be totally honest....TODAY (it took a dunce like me that long to figure this one) I realized that the answer is that SMiLE is just too far-out for most folks to grasp.

You can't clap with one hand....that's a stupid question for most people.

The "who ran the iron horse" music couldn't be related to "Heroes And Villains (intro)" because they have different titles. I get it folks...rules are rules.

A record album cannot give people a spiritual experience. That's just too far-out. I get it (maybe Brian Wilson had more faith in you folks than I suddenly do).

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9297 on: December 05, 2011, 10:21:55 PM »

To be totally honest....TODAY (it took a dunce like me that long to figure this one) I realized that the answer is that SMiLE is just too far-out for most folks to grasp.

But you have been blessed with this revelation, being far more intelligent than the rest of us combined. Way to make friends...  Also, what you've been telling us for a decade or so is not what Smile is or may be, but rather what you think it is, and what you think we should all think it is.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:27:07 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: December 05, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »

But you have been blessed with this revelation, being far more intelligent than the rest of us combined. Way to make friends...  Also, what you've been telling us for a decade or so is not what Smile is or may be, but rather what you think it is, and what you think we should all think it is.

Don't take everything so personally, it's not becoming.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9299 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »

Don't take everything so personally, it's not becoming.

True, true. One person's obsession with an exceedingly shaky premise shouldn't concern me to that extent.  Cool

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 376 377 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx