gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:25:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 362 363 364 365 366 [367] 368 369 370 371 372 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1728605 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9150 on: November 07, 2011, 12:36:07 AM »

It also seems like the evolution to smiley smile began during the smile sessions.

Fishmonk, this has been one of my real revelations too!

I said somewhere else -- not sure what thread -- that maybe our vocabulary about Smile has been incorrect. We use words -- heck, Brian uses words -- like "collapse," "abandon," "shelve." But really the end of the project just seems like a shift and an evolution. Brian keeps working on the same songs. He remakes some of them, sure, but he'd been recutting tracks throughout the Smile sessions. He already had shifted to exceptionally simple backing tracks before the SS sessions -- listen to some of the sparse Vega-Tables tracks, for instance.

I had always thought of Smiley Smile as being incredibly separate -- the "bunt" and all that. But it really seems as though it's actually the finished album! Or at least, that Brian at the time considered it so. At the very least, it seems part of the same continuum of work that continued, in some form, at least through the Friends album.

When I first listened to actual SMiLE tracks on the GV box set I thought they sounded much more like Friends than - as I had expected - like Pet Sounds.

On TSS the tracks sound much better than on the GV box.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: November 07, 2011, 02:25:44 AM »

Still unanswered is this question: does Mark Linett's reassembling of "Heroes & Villains Part 2"(heard in the 2-CD set and on a 7" vinyl single) have a factual basis, or is it a product of Mr.Linett's creativity?

Someone around these parts, or the Hoffman board, who interviewed D. Priore recently said that Priore said those were based on Brian's "notes" for a double-sided "Heroes" 45.

The 'notes' are written on the tape box, and are not in any way as detailed as has been assumed or stated.

So do you know what those notes say???

Cheers

Richard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9152 on: November 07, 2011, 03:38:15 AM »

Still unanswered is this question: does Mark Linett's reassembling of "Heroes & Villains Part 2"(heard in the 2-CD set and on a 7" vinyl single) have a factual basis, or is it a product of Mr.Linett's creativity?

Someone around these parts, or the Hoffman board, who interviewed D. Priore recently said that Priore said those were based on Brian's "notes" for a double-sided "Heroes" 45.

The 'notes' are written on the tape box, and are not in any way as detailed as has been assumed or stated.

Nope. But I know a man who does. When people read "detailed notes" they assumed a sheet or two of paper with Brian's directions, whereas it's more a series of scribbles on a tape box.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: November 07, 2011, 03:58:08 AM »

Nope. But I know a man who does. When people read "detailed notes" they assumed a sheet or two of paper with Brian's directions, whereas it's more a series of scribbles on a tape box.

Ahh - Ok thanks

Cheers

Richard
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9154 on: November 07, 2011, 04:37:50 AM »

Well it looks like I'm actually going to own 2 boxes - not through choice though. Amazon Canada clocked up my order so it quite literally is a buy one get one free scenario - the joys of international ordering...   Grin

I've also got the 2CD set on the way but from UK's Amazon. I get to enjoy opening Smile another 2 times yet ha ha   Cool Guy

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: November 07, 2011, 05:28:53 AM »

Well it looks like I'm actually going to own 2 boxes - not through choice though. Amazon Canada clocked up my order so it quite literally is a buy one get one free scenario - the joys of international ordering...   Grin

I've also got the 2CD set on the way but from UK's Amazon. I get to enjoy opening Smile another 2 times yet ha ha   Cool Guy

wow, so lucky

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9156 on: November 07, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »

As per AGD, the '68 vocal tapes are missing, and thus there would have been no way to present isolated "Truck Drivin' Man" vocals, which is too bad, because that would have been amazing to hear.

Even then, who says Dennis had his own track anyway?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
PhilCohen
« Reply #9157 on: November 07, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »

As per AGD, the '68 vocal tapes are missing, and thus there would have been no way to present isolated "Truck Drivin' Man" vocals, which is too bad, because that would have been amazing to hear.

Even then, who says Dennis had his own track anyway?

The new "Smile Sessions" products answer many questions and bring forth many new questions. That's the way it is destined to be. My quest for "Smile" material(which began with an early to mid 1980's bootleg vinyl release on a fake "Brother Records" label) has(barring the discovery of further material in the hands of private collections and/or bootleggers) come to an end. I'm enjoying "The Smile Sessions". If there are any further Beach Boys archival Beach Boys CD's(from other periods of the group's career), I'm receptive. I'll buy 'em.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9158 on: November 07, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »

Got my box today

What a beautiful thing, and I wasn't prepared for how big and heavy it is.

My box came from  the US to the UK

I would like to believe it set sail from Plymouth Rock, back to Southhampton
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: November 07, 2011, 01:52:38 PM »

Smile couldn't have been released in the 1990's because Brian was not mentally ready to consider the project. It couldn't come out without some involvement on his part.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9160 on: November 07, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »

(trying.....VERY HARD....to not throw a TWSS joke at Iron!)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jason
« Reply #9161 on: November 07, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »

Got my box today

You couldn't give Yanks enough money to sail back there!  LOL
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9162 on: November 07, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »

Got my box today

You couldn't give Yanks enough money to sail back there!  LOL

You'll come back to the fold one day. When Charles becomes King I fully expect him to officially unrecognise the Declaration Of Treason Independance.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: November 07, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »

There is actually some debate about whether the Declaration is legal....   Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9164 on: November 07, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »

There is actually some debate about whether the Declaration is legal....   Grin

Hell, I don't even recognise the Norman Invasion in 1066. Bring back King Eghead

(I'll stop derailing the king of SMiLE threads now)
Jason
« Reply #9165 on: November 07, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

Can we have an American/Brit flame war in the Sandbox? This'll be fun. Smiley
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #9166 on: November 07, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »

For example, why do the British misspell words such as color and realize?

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9167 on: November 07, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »

But we've got the unfair advantage of having had 1500 years to master the English language. Our barbed insults would leave you in tatters like the french at Agincourt.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9168 on: November 07, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »

Norman bastards

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9169 on: November 07, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »

Yeah, well, I don't see Van Dyke and Brian Wilson deciding to write an album about Britains problems.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9170 on: November 07, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »

Yeah, well, I don't see Van Dyke and Brian Wilson deciding to write an album about Britains problems.
Looter-essence "over and over, the looters light up the city" Thats a start for Brian and Van dyke. Smiley
The United States is having similar unrest right now with "occupy wallstreet" protests all over the nation.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:29:11 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #9171 on: November 07, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »

But we've got the unfair advantage of having had 1500 years to master the English language. Our barbed insults would leave you in tatters like the french at Agincourt.

We've got the Beach Boys and our friends got the Stones. Smiley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #9172 on: November 07, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9173 on: November 07, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »

Absolutely champion  LOL

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9174 on: November 07, 2011, 04:18:47 PM »

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 05:40:42 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 364 365 366 [367] 368 369 370 371 372 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx