gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 05:19:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 358 359 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1742776 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »

Wow, I'm not even kidding, within 10 minutes of my post here
On smiley I just received a job offer that is far
Better than my previous job!  This album is magical in more ways than one, just now starting my second listening, & I can assure you that the tears will come out this time!  This is one of the greatest days of my life, thank you for those who left the nice comments as well. 

Enjoy this great day of great music everyone!

Wow...that is truly fantastic!  Congrats!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: November 01, 2011, 02:16:19 PM »

Hi, very longtime lurker on these boards (actually back to last winter), but just joined today (I Am posting on a portable Device so hopefully not to many mistakes!) . I haven't decided to post prior due to myself being a "truefan" only since last fall.  I began purchasing a few albums on vinyl last summer including Sunflower, Wild honey, & Pet Sounds along w/ owning a few CDs also (today/summer days, Friends/20/20, Best of..).  Since I've purchased nearly every Beach boys album on CD/Vinyl and am now quite obsessed (not as much as many of u folks however).

I was laid off from my job almost 2 months ago, & became quite paranoid I wouldn't be able to purchase the smile sessions for quite some time. (yes I shouldve pre-ordered when I still held my job).   I've been going through quite a horrible time in my life looking for a new job.  I  stressed over trying to get he box or even the 2cd version he last few weeks as I desperately hoped to find a job.  Today came as I read all the wonderful stories about others receiving their box.  I went back & forth w/ myself about trying to get one of the versions.  After long debate I decided it necessary to at least sell a few items to purchase the 2cd version.

Wow, glad I did, I have not heard all of the bootlegs of these ( not even close).  So I am that person that many are referring to when they mention "uninformed audience".  I just finished my first listen to disc 1 and I admit to tearing up a few times throughout.  I can't wait for a 2nd listen, which will begin after this post & probably w/ headphones as my roomate doesn't care for the boys (believe me, I've tried, maybe this would change his mind of he took the time to listen fully).

Anyways, I want to thank you all so much for advancing my love of this great group finally, & more importantly show my love for this album, as it has definitely brightened up a period of my life I'd soon like to forget, but now won't as it is the first time I feel I've truly heard this perfect album from start to finish.

Enjoy your listening experiences ( and I will mine again in a few minutes, plus long for that moment when I get to hear the boxset version).

Beautiful first post - hope things turn around for you, buddy Smiley

EDIT: Oh, and i read it just did - congratulations! :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:18:15 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: November 01, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

Better than my previous job!  This album is magical in more ways than one, just now starting my second listening, & I can assure you that the tears will come out this time!  This is one of the greatest days of my life, thank you for those who left the nice comments as well.  

Amazing, best of luck!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8828 on: November 01, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »

DontHate, that's probably the most anybody could ask for for their second post! Congratulations!! What a day!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
DontHateTheLove
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: November 01, 2011, 02:29:41 PM »

DontHate, that's probably the most anybody could ask for for their second post! Congratulations!! What a day!

You are correct.  And now I get to purchase the box set much sooner than expected!  Even better! 
Van Dark Pykes
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: November 01, 2011, 02:32:13 PM »

did anyone order the 2CD set with the T-shirt from Merch Direct?

wondering what the shirt actually looks like.

I ordered the 2 disc set w/ the shirt. I haven't received it yet; it just shipped out today Angry

I assume the shirt is going to look the same as it does in the picture:
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: November 01, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »

Mike really stole the show in the "Back Vocals Montage"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: November 01, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »

I don't have that part, because I have the 2cd set (unless it's on the second cd, which I haven't heard yet).  I will tell you one thing, though.  As I was listening to the 'finished' album, I was thinking "Needs more Mike Love" and also thinking that I'd pay damn good money to see Mike walk onstage somewhere and sing the Crow vocals with Brian's band.  That would be EPIC... in many ways.  First he's the only one who sounds like that, so it'd be authentic, but second it would be good to see him be 'alright' with those lyrics again (even though he hated them, hell he recorded them the first time, he'd do it again if given the opportunity).  I think that may be the last great thing I can hope for out of this band, since they released the album finally. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: November 01, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »

I'm a high school teacher.  I very rarely go near a computer during class, unless it's related to a lesson or I have to look up something for a student, and I never take my phone out of my pocket.  Today was an exception, because I had to check Amazon every 25 seconds for delivery status.  Just before the end of period 3, the status changed to "Delivered".  I don't know how, but I kept my cool.  
As soon as the bell rang, I darted down the main hall to the rear of the building, and pounded on the door of the engineering wing (the loading dock is back there).  Normally, I would have waited for one of the guys to bring the package to the main office with the rest of the day's shipments, but nothing about Smile constitutes "normally".  One of the guys let me in and I ran to claim my prize.  
Now it's next to me on the floor in the teacher's room.  I'm not opening it until I get home, which won't be until after a meeting after school that I can't get out of (grrrrr).  If the meeting isn't over by 4:00, I'm going to excuse myself by saying that I have to pick up my kid....even though everyone here knows that I don't have children.  I can't be bothered with factual details today.  

How HUGE that this day is just three days shy of the 14th anniversary of another great day in BB/BW fandom...the Pet Sounds box set was released 11/4/1997.

Calm down sparky, don't want to see you get fired on the best day in the history of days.  That would suck!
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: November 01, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »

Better than my previous job!  This album is magical in more ways than one, just now starting my second listening, & I can assure you that the tears will come out this time!  This is one of the greatest days of my life, thank you for those who left the nice comments as well.  

That is great news! You got your Smile and your job! Congrats and good luck to you
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8835 on: November 01, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »

the book in my box set came with a torn page.

i chatted with amazon for a few minutes and they're sending me a new box that will be here tomorrow.

i am to then send back the box set with the damaged book.

i love Amazon.

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: November 01, 2011, 03:06:58 PM »

Man they lost their ass on that one, lol. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: November 01, 2011, 03:09:58 PM »

4 pm and still no sign of my book. Based upon past experience with On Trac, this is not a good sign.  Angry
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: November 01, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »

Man they lost their ass on that one, lol. 

lolololololol

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: November 01, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »

Ordered mine from Amazon. Probably will be a few days when I get it. Still waiting on the damn Disney album from them.

Where are you based? I've had both the UK and the US versions of Disney delivered already, in the UK… suspect your order might have gone astray there.

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: November 01, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »

Instead of The Smile Sessions, I think it should have been called One More, Please.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: November 01, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »

Better than my previous job!  This album is magical in more ways than one, just now starting my second listening, & I can assure you that the tears will come out this time!  This is one of the greatest days of my life, thank you for those who left the nice comments as well. 

What a cool day!  :D

“We live in divisive times.”
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: November 01, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »

My 2CD arrived today, i've only listened to disk 2, I'm gonna jump into some comfortable clothes and make a HUGE thing of hot chocolate, grab some cookies, sit back, and plug my iPod (With the Cd's on it of course!) into my 5.1 system and prepare for the awesome.

I can't wait!

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: November 01, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »

Somebody will interupt you.  The question is, will you be alright with it?

I mean if you've decided how you're going to listen to Smile, complete with Hot Chocolate and pajamas, and your brother calls and wants you to come pick him up from jail... that would piss you off.

... but if some chick comes over, will you stop listening to the album?  What exactly will it take to get you to NOT make that hot chocolate? 

lol
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: November 01, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »

haha, my dad is gonna sit by the phone just in case :D

Also, about the girls, that's saved for Friday night Wink

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: November 01, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »

I've had my box set for an hour. It didn't arrive until 5:55pm, just before I arrived home. I saw the UPS truck up the street as I turned on to my street. I almost jumped outta my skin. This set is absolutely beautiful. I've been admiring everything for the last 45 minutes and can't wait to dive into the book and get the discs in the player. Off to dinner with a SMiLE.  Grin

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: November 01, 2011, 04:13:55 PM »

f*** f*** f***! ARGH! GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I waited all fucking day for the ups to come, the package status said "out for delivery" since this morning. Then after hours of waiting, I saw the ups truck drive past my house!!!!!!!!!! I even got in my car and tried to follow it, but I lost him. When I got back home the tracking had updated to "Exception: Incorrect Address". I double checked my amazon order, it had the right address, my house is right on the corner, and has a big red address post. It wasn't even dark out. The dude just missed my fucking house, and didn't even bother to check what was up.
So I call in to amazon, and they transfer me to ups, and they transfer me to my local distribution center, which is like 45 minutes away. The lady said I can come and pick up the package tonight, in about 2 hours, once the truck gets back. I have to wait for her to call me, and then drive out there. I am absolutely crossing my fingers that I can pull this off, It's not so bad driving out there, but I am really anxious. If I can't get it today I will be so heartbroken.

GUYS. I am so upset right now.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #8847 on: November 01, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

frig frig frig! ARGH! GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I waited all friging day for the ups to come, the package status said "out for delivery" since this morning. Then after hours of waiting, I saw the ups truck drive past my house!!!!!!!!!! I even got in my car and tried to follow it, but I lost him. When I got back home the tracking had updated to "Exception: Incorrect Address". I double checked my amazon order, it had the right address, my house is right on the corner, and has a big red address post. It wasn't even dark out. The dude just missed my friging house, and didn't even bother to check what was up.
So I call in to amazon, and they transfer me to ups, and they transfer me to my local distribution center, which is like 45 minutes away. The lady said I can come and pick up the package tonight, in about 2 hours, once the truck gets back. I have to wait for her to call me, and then drive out there. I am absolutely crossing my fingers that I can pull this off, It's not so bad driving out there, but I am really anxious. If I can't get it today I will be so heartbroken.

GUYS. I am so upset right now.

Hands up who visualised Bruce Willis tearing after the UPS truck with no shoes on?

Don't worry Fishmonk. It will make the moment you get it so much better. This is a test of your SMiLE faith, nothing more.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8848 on: November 01, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »

Currently ripping the 2CD with EAC/importing into iTunes.   Grin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: November 01, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »

4 pm and still no sign of my book. Based upon past experience with On Trac, this is not a good sign.  Angry

Mine just walked in the door. Woohoo!!!

(day off tomorrow)  3D
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 351 352 353 [354] 355 356 357 358 359 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx