gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681342 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 01:51:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1749055 times)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »

Does anybody know if any new tapes have been found/recovered? What are the odds that the group has access to the Durrie Parks acetates?

These threads really cycle through the same information again and again really fast.

We have no idea. No idea if any of the rumored acetates even exist. Whether they are Durrie Parks, Bruce Johnston or whoever. All we have to go on is Mark's comments. He said they had indeed found things that "the bootleggers missed" and he made it clear that they want to take this chance to include everything that exists that is not in possession of the band. If these many phantom acetates actually exist, and if there's any chance that they can be acquired, they will end up on this release. 

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »

I hope there's a purely instrumental version of CIFTTM, the up-tempo section or 'chorus' is just the most electric arrangement. And I wonder how much of the endlessly repetitive 'Bicycle Rider/H&V Theme' will be included. It seems a bit mean, but listening to That Riff on the harpsichord over and over and over becomes a drag quite quickly.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:53:54 PM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2011, 10:43:55 PM »

This is the best news ever. Amazing.
 Imagine making your own version of SMiLE now!!!   3D
Crisp, clean, fresh officially released tracks. High Five
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2011, 11:41:57 PM »

Does anybody know if any new tapes have been found/recovered? What are the odds that the group has access to the Durrie Parks acetates?

These threads really cycle through the same information again and again really fast.

We have no idea. No idea if any of the rumored acetates even exist. Whether they are Durrie Parks, Bruce Johnston or whoever. All we have to go on is Mark's comments. He said they had indeed found things that "the bootleggers missed" and he made it clear that they want to take this chance to include everything that exists that is not in possession of the band. If these many phantom acetates actually exist, and if there's any chance that they can be acquired, they will end up on this release. 

I think it goes without saying that it's pretty much now or never for any acetates that people may have been holding onto.  This is their chance to cash in.  I doubt the powers that be will ever be willing to offer more than they are now.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »

I think it goes without saying that it's pretty much now or never for any acetates that people may have been holding onto.  This is their chance to cash in.  I doubt the powers that be will ever be willing to offer more than they are now.

Hmm... you might be right, but if this sets sells by the bucket they'll try to find ways of releasing more SMiLE material. Profit is a great motivator!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2011, 12:55:05 AM »

The book is a wonderful add-on...and I hope that Priore interviews as many people as possible to get the most honest and comprehensive look at SMiLE...from the eyes of the people who were there - especially the wrecking crew. The interview booklet that came with The Pet Sounds Sessions is one of my favorite parts about that set. I've spent hours upon hours reading that tiny booklet. I hope they also add something like that to this set.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Dom's new essay (as described in the original release) but I don't think it occupies the whole 60 pages, unless it's very big print. I'm thinking credits/session info/AFM repros and lotsa photos.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 13, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »

Hmm... you might be right, but if this sets sells by the bucket they'll try to find ways of releasing more SMiLE material. Profit is a great motivator!

Sometimes.  The POB Legacy set did rather well I thought and we still haven't seen any sign of more Dennis stuff surfacing since then.  I think this set will do well, probably somewhere between what BWPS did and what his more recent solo albums have done, but I think for the most part this is the end of the journey.  I just can't see Capitol/BRI or whoever paying any more at a later date than they would now for what would essentially amount to a bonus track or two at best on a future reissue, with much less fanfare behind it.  But who knows?  We're getting an official Smile.  I suppose anything is possible.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 13, 2011, 01:56:38 AM »

Sometimes.  The POB Legacy set did rather well I thought and we still haven't seen any sign of more Dennis stuff surfacing since then.  I think this set will do well, probably somewhere between what BWPS did and what his more recent solo albums have done, but I think for the most part this is the end of the journey.  I just can't see Capitol/BRI or whoever paying any more at a later date than they would now for what would essentially amount to a bonus track or two at best on a future reissue, with much less fanfare behind it.  But who knows?  We're getting an official Smile.  I suppose anything is possible.

I predict we'll see more Dennis audio product coming our way (we already know about the revised book). Just a hunch.  Maybe Jon can add more?

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2011, 06:07:35 AM »

I wonder what the sound will be like?

Maybe there will be a "Brickwalled Box" and a "Sixties Sound Box" offered.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2011, 07:42:09 AM »

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Dom's new essay (as described in the original release) but I don't think it occupies the whole 60 pages, unless it's very big print. I'm thinking credits/session info/AFM repros and lotsa photos.

Ah, I guess I didn't read that very carefully. That sounds like a plan to me.

Hopefully some of our other founding nerds will also get their due somehow. Peter, Andrew, Rev Bob, Derek, , Mike, Marty, Don, Lee, Brad, Jeff, Eva, David, etc..

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2011, 08:09:21 AM »

About the price: if I remember correctly, the price of the "US Singles Box Set" (you know, that "retro-styled box" with 16 CDs, containing music that could have fit on 3 or 4) was $90 on Amazon.

With a thick booklet, vinyl LPs and 4 (probably full) CDs, I can't see this one being sold for less than $150/175. But I'd love to be wrong  Grin

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:14 AM »

Hopefully some of our other founding nerds will also get their due somehow. Peter, Andrew, Rev Bob, Derek, , Mike, Marty, Don, Lee, Brad, Jeff, Eva, David, etc..

I'm sure there'll be a mention of Coach Hanes. Brad... I very much doubt.  Not entirely sure who ", ," is but I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »

",," is the name of the person who has all of the missing acetates. His name is lost to history, as he had his name legally changed to ",," shortly after Prince changed his name to a symbol...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »

",," is the name of the person who has all of the missing acetates. His name is lost to history, as he had his name legally changed to ",," shortly after Prince changed his name to a symbol...

For my money, that ",, " guy is a piece of "        ,,      " who can "      ,,    " and "        ,,      ".  I don't care if he gets a " ,, " up his " ,," .  Just hand over the acetates buddy.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »

For my money, that ",, " guy is a piece of "        ,,      " who can "      ,,    " and "        ,,      ".  I don't care if he gets a " ,, " up his " ,," .  Just hand over the acetates buddy.

Thems pretty strong spaces pardner!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2011, 09:23:55 AM »

Ever wished you'd never started something ?  Grin

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »

even after a few days of knowing without a doubt SMiLE's finally coming out this year.. it's still somewhat unreal. anyway:  Happy Dance

i'm already pondering what incarnation of 2011 SMiLE to buy. i've sworn off CDs and totally focused on vinyl in the past few years. thing is: it seems 2011 SMiLE will only be available on vinyl in that 'mega box', right? no 'simple' 2-LP set à la POB?

oh by the way: this is my debut post. glad to be here amongst other crazies.  Hello
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »

Ever wished you'd never started something ?  Grin

Yeah, like that time when I recorded this album and than abandoned it and....uh.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »

even after a few days of knowing without a doubt SMiLE's finally coming out this year.. it's still somewhat unreal. anyway:  Happy Dance

i'm already pondering what incarnation of 2011 SMiLE to buy. i've sworn off CDs and totally focused on vinyl in the past few years. thing is: it seems 2011 SMiLE will only be available on vinyl in that 'mega box', right? no 'simple' 2-LP set à la POB?

oh by the way: this is my debut post. glad to be here amongst other crazies.  Hello

I've seen nothing on a vinyl-only version, other than the two 78prm singles coming out on Record Store Day; if I wasn't desperate to have the whole package I'd suggest we buddy-up, buy one package and I take the CDs while you have the wax!

Many of us crazies here will, I have little doubt, buy every version going just in case a stray fart appears on one version and not another; and we'll no doubt buy many copies, in case that stray fart shows up on a later pressing of the same product.

Welcome to the Madhouse, Lowbacca – You'll Never Leave*.

* With apologies to the Royston Vasey Trade & Tourism Guild

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »

I'm sure there'll be a mention of Coach Hanes. Brad... I very much doubt.  Not entirely sure who ", ," is but I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

", , " is he who shall not be named.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

I'm really worried the box will be like 300 bucks..

Not sure I can afford that. I may have to drop out of college  Undecided Cry Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2011, 11:03:59 AM »

We have to wait and see what is offered....but if the vinyl really is only available as part of an expensive mega box I shall quite possibly not be purchasing any of it. But we wait and see.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »

Not sure I can afford that. I may have to drop out of college  Undecided Cry Grin

The SMiLe box set as an alternate form of education. Yes, that has possibilities

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »

PhilCohen-
thanks so much for posting the SMiLE music recently. it's a great-sounding collection with a near-perfect running order.

I still prefer my own running order(s)... i believe i'm down to 3.   Cool

but I'm quite confident that Linnett & Boyd (and let's not forget Wilson) will indeed give us something better.

how many people heard the Humble Harv demo before 'Endless Harmony'? when/where did that turn up?

when did sessions for 'Can't Wait Too Long' begin? what about the CWTL tag? is it SMiLE music?
how about 'With Me Tonight'?

You've got to be careful with that download.  As I remember it, Phil made several very definitive pronouncements about it being the real and actual Smile, but in reality the list is based on discredited Priore theories.

Remember, my last revision to that compilation was done in 2003 when Priore's running order seemed quite feasable and credible, given the need to have a "Side One" & "Side Two"(each about 18 minutes) back in the 1960's days of vinyl. Whatever you think about that running order, I do provide the best sounding "Holidays", "Heroes & Villains Part 2"(with 6 of the 8 segements in stereo) & "Fire"(complete and in stereo, patterned after the mono edit on the Japanese "T-2580" disc.)("Fire" was recorded in two sections that must be edited together to get the complete recording)

Understood.  I'm just saying that you can unintentionally deceive people when you claim that the tracklisting and running order are what was definitely intended.  No one can claim that, because, among other reasons, it wasn't finished.

Having said that, it sounds like you've put a ton of work into your mixes, and I bet they sound great.  It will be interesting to hear what you and others come up with in the months following the release.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »

I've seen nothing on a vinyl-only version, other than the two 78prm singles coming out on Record Store Day; if I wasn't desperate to have the whole package I'd suggest we buddy-up, buy one package and I take the CDs while you have the wax!

Many of us crazies here will, I have little doubt, buy every version going just in case a stray fart appears on one version and not another; and we'll no doubt buy many copies, in case that stray fart shows up on a later pressing of the same product.

Welcome to the Madhouse, Lowbacca – You'll Never Leave*.

* With apologies to the Royston Vasey Trade & Tourism Guild
I thank you Sir for the warm welcome. I'm already feeling at home.  Cool Guy

Quote from: Shady

Not sure I can afford that. I may have to drop out of college
I'm totally preparing for that... SMiLE (and its history) teaches a young man everything there is to know.  Cheesy

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx