gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 02:21:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: any new info on another new BB album?  (Read 13675 times)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »

Was just wondering if anyone could confirm what we know to do date about any plan, if any any at all, for a new BB studio album?

And what is the general sense about where the BB's are headed in the next year or so? in October, will everything go back to the way it was a year ago? Was it just a one year celebration that we should all be grateful for, and that's it?

I know there's tons of info about these questions on different threads, but instead of wading through it all, I thought I'd just ask it straight up.

Thanks!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:26:22 PM »

Material exists. Brian seemed interested a month or two ago.

Mike and Bruce will be touring this fall on their own.

Next year, we'll see.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »

Good thing to bug them about at the Q and A next month. "Isn't it time for the rock n' roll album? Call it Pleasure Island and put a bunch of surfboards on the cover or whatever. Whaddya say?"
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »

Oh yeah, I'd love any concrete info on any further new Beach Boys music, be it a NEXT album or any new material that may be coming on the boxed set.

However, I doubt even the Boys know much at this stage. I guess Mike and Bruce will be keen to carry on touring, while Brian, Al and Dave will be able to rest up after the tour for at least a few months and recharge the batteries after this pretty busy year. I guess (with absolutely no inside knowledge) that they'll probably have some kind of band meeting late this year/ early next and see how they all feel about carrying on/ recording/ touring more and in what form at that point.

Personally, I'm not expecting any concrete info on any possible new album (or not) until early next year. Let's let the guys have a rest and let them sit in the sun awhile. They deserve it after this year imo  Smiley .
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »

Thats how I see it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »

There was a David track recorded during the TWGMTR session that we know will be released "on a future Beach Boys project". There's also the remainder of the Brian suite which needs finishing and is partially recorded, and we know Brian spoke of initially seeing "Summer's Gone" as the final song on the final Beach Boys album but no longer feels that way. Al has spoken about wanting to do a new album several times.

So yeah - nothing concrete, but I'd say the chances are good but not a sure thing quite yet.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »

According to my conversation with Al Jardine, they are recording new/recycled material, like "Waves of Love", redoing some TWGMTR songs slowed down, for the box set.  Of course, he also said that the box set was called "50 Big Ones".   Right title for the wrong set.

I don't expect another new BB album but I've learned to say "Never say Never".  They may have enough material left over from TWGMTR, plus these new recordings, to put out one more album.
Maybe Brian wants to finish the whole Song Suite that was parred down for TWGMTR.

Maybe this is the last tour but Brian makes BB albums from now on. Maybe he retires.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:31:09 PM »

As much as I've loved Brian's solo albums, if he never put out another one again and focused solely on new Beach Boys records, that'd be just fine with me. That's true for all members of the band, really. That's Why God Made The Radio far exceeded my expectations, I don't doubt that the group could continue to put out quality albums for the remainder of their career.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »

Mike has a bunch of stuff in the can from "Mike Love Not War" from which "Daybreak" came from.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »

If they can't top TWGMTR then they shouldn't do it imo

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »

Yeah, that's why I think these new tracks will be on the box set. End of story (till Mike keels over at age 80 doing the Mike and Bruce show)

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

TWGMTR was such an unexpectedly good album, though. I mean I wasn't expecting something bad, but it far exceeded my expectations. The idear that if you can't top your previous album then you shouldn't bother at all would've screwed us out of a world of great material over the years, y'know? That applies to the Beach Boys and basically any other band. To me, the only time someone should not bother putting out material is if they don't want to or don't enjoy it anymore and their motivation lies solely in making a quick buck and nothing more.

I don't think they can top TWGMTR. It had basically been in the works for nearly 15 years and they had a much larger song pool to choose from. I'm willing to bet whatever they do next could be on par with or at least nearly on par with That's Why God, though, and that's good enough for me. And stuff like "You're Still A Mystery" needs a bit of reworking and a slot on an album, damn it >: (

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 04:28:05 PM »

Disagree. There's something to enjoy in every album. Besides, as long as they're in this world and willing, I say let them record and release as much as possible. History will put things in their place eventually anyway.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 04:33:28 PM »

I have heard that a lot of the stuff that was left out was terrible!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

lawl, who said this? I'll grant you that "Waves Of Love" wouldn't have been a standout on the album, as would a stripped down and improved upon "She Believes In Love Again", but I can't imagine either version is legitimately terrible. Otherwise, sans the short clip of one of the suite songs, do we have any idear what else was recorded but didn't make it?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »

lawl, who said this? I'll grant you that "Waves Of Love" wouldn't have been a standout on the album, as would a stripped down and improved upon "She Believes In Love Again", but I can't imagine either version is legitimately terrible. Otherwise, sans the short clip of one of the suite songs, do we have any idear what else was recorded but didn't make it?

Aside from those, "Stowaway", a Dave Marks composition.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »

If they do dip into the can and recover the leftovers from the last sessions, would Brian continue working with Joe Thomas as a collaborator or would he look to someone else to collaborate with?  Brian seems to enjoy working with someone new for each new project.  Would be interesting to see if he works on the unfinished stuff...I know that little snippet we heard on the PBS special was intriguing....
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »

Seeing Brian work with a bunch of his past collaborators (including Mike and the rest of the band, of course) and maybe a new one or two for an album would be awesome. Can't really say there are any of his past collaborators I wouldn't be interested in seeing the results from.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »

As much as I've loved Brian's solo albums, if he never put out another one again and focused solely on new Beach Boys records, that'd be just fine with me. That's true for all members of the band, really. That's Why God Made The Radio far exceeded my expectations, I don't doubt that the group could continue to put out quality albums for the remainder of their career.

Totally with you. If Brian wants to work with the guys on new material, then that's what he should do, instead of doing solo albums. Not gonna lie, I thought the last album was better than all of Brian's solo albums except for his debut. Having Mike, Bruce, and Al sing on his stuff just adds the certain something special that was missing, no matter how nice or how cool Darian, Scott, etc are.

And even if they do new albums and they stink, so what. They've put out shitty albums before, and they've survived. Plus, there's usually something good on every Beach Boys album, except for Summer In Paradise maybe. So if they wanna work together and put it out, I'll sure listen intently.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »

Totally with you. If Brian wants to work with the guys on new material, then that's what he should do, instead of doing solo albums. Not gonna lie, I thought the last album was better than all of Brian's solo albums except for his debut. Having Mike, Bruce, and Al sing on his stuff just adds the certain something special that was missing, no matter how nice or how cool Darian, Scott, etc are.

And even if they do new albums and they stink, so what. They've put out sh*tty albums before, and they've survived. Plus, there's usually something good on every Beach Boys album, except for Summer In Paradise maybe. So if they wanna work together and put it out, I'll sure listen intently.

I think a more organic approach to recording would go a long way.  I like the songs and performances on the new album, dislike the production, especially the impulse to tune and compress every little element.  I would find a less polished, more "analog sounding" record even with less standout songs a more listenable record, myself.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 06:40:10 PM »

I would love as many new albums as possible!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »

Seeing Brian work with a bunch of his past collaborators (including Mike and the rest of the band, of course) and maybe a new one or two for an album would be awesome. Can't really say there are any of his past collaborators I wouldn't be interested in seeing the results from.

I actually think I'd go the complete opposite and say I'd really like to see a Brian solo album instead of a BB album. There must be another albums' worth of tunes (rather, ideas for tunes), left on Joe Thomas' 80 hours worth of tape. The BB harmonies I would miss for sure, and especially the alotted Al lead vocal or two, but all of my very favorite tunes on the latest album are ones that Brian sings lead on and I would love to see a whole album in the direction of the suite.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 03:55:13 AM »

TWGMTR was such an unexpectedly good album, though. I mean I wasn't expecting something bad, but it far exceeded my expectations. The idear that if you can't top your previous album then you shouldn't bother at all would've screwed us out of a world of great material over the years, y'know?

No question about that. My point is just that the next one might very well be the last album and I don't want them to go off on a so-so album. TWGMTR would be a nice last one

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 04:58:02 AM »

Aside from those, "Stowaway", a Dave Marks composition.

Wasn't there another song that Dave and Mike worked on together?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 05:18:39 AM »

And even if they do new albums and they stink, so what. They've put out sh*tty albums before, and they've survived. Plus, there's usually something good on every Beach Boys album, except for Summer In Paradise maybe. So if they wanna work together and put it out, I'll sure listen intently.

I think a more organic approach to recording would go a long way.  I like the songs and performances on the new album, dislike the production, especially the impulse to tune and compress every little element.  I would find a less polished, more "analog sounding" record even with less standout songs a more listenable record, myself.
+1.  I think the songs, vibes and energies on TWGMTR are great, but think it would have benefited from a production similar to Brian's That Lucky Old Sun, which had ok songs but it's great natural sounding vox inspire repeat listenings; and would love to see that kind of approach on further BB ventures.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:33:08 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx