gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:42:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: any new info on another new BB album?  (Read 13567 times)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

I thought Mike's lyrics on Daybreak and Beaches in Mind were duds, I expected more out of him for a 50th anniversary album.  So for a new project, I would hope someone else, like Scott Bennett would be drafted to write the words.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »

I thought Mike's lyrics on Daybreak and Beaches in Mind were duds, I expected more out of him for a 50th anniversary album.  So for a new project, I would hope someone else, like Scott Bennett would be drafted to write the words.

Hell, why not get Van Dyke Parks in to do it?  Just to see what happens.
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »

That ended great for everyone last time  Roll Eyes
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »

What about Tony Asher?
mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »

Who wrote the lyrics to From There to Back Again?  I thought they were very Asher-esque
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 01:46:17 PM »

What about Tony Asher?

You know, If Pet Sounds is a teenage album, I can see them writing one hell of a "Life Passing" album.

mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

What about Tony Asher?

You know, If Pet Sounds is a teenage album, I can see them writing one hell of a "Life Passing" album.

Isn't that what TWGMTR is?  At least the closing suite.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »

True, but I mean a whole album.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

Who wrote the lyrics to From There to Back Again?  I thought they were very Asher-esque

I don't have the booklet here but I guess it was Joe Thomas (probably with input by Brian). He co-wrote every song on the album except "Daybreak..." iirc.

I thought Mike's lyrics on Daybreak and Beaches in Mind were duds, I expected more out of him for a 50th anniversary album.

Really? I thought the lyrics to "Daybreak..." are good. Not mind-blowing but good and honset/not trying to write those stupid "Beach boy"-lyrics.
But in terms of "Spring vacation" and "Beaches in mind" I also expected better from him. Especially after he said in an interview that he takes time to really work on the lyrics. What we got sounds too many times like something that was written while he was sitting on the toilett.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »

He co-wrote every song on the album except "Daybreak..." iirc.

He's credited as co-writing every song on the album except Daybreak. Not the same thing as actually doing so.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »

He's credited as co-writing every song on the album except Daybreak. Not the same thing as actually doing so.

Ok, that's true. But my guess is still that it's a colloboration between Joe and Brian.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »

I think having a good last album like TWGMTR is great, but I think the fact that it should've been an amazing Brian suite that the band declined perfectly ends the saga.

Pet Sounds = Begrudgingly
SMiLE = Declined
Til' I Die = Originally Declined
Mt Vernon and Fairway = Originally Declined
Beach Boys Love You = Apparently, "Doesn't Exist"
Adult/Child = Declined
The Fabled "Pet Sounds 2" project = ignored
My Life Suite = Declined

SO Typical.

The suite wasn't declined - it's not even finished (yet)!

And honestly, if the suite was fully developed and finished, and lets say it ran the length of a full album, I'm sure the label would have had less of a problem with it than Mike Love.

What is the fabled Pet Sounds 2 project?

Anyone know about this?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »

Ok, that's true. But my guess is still that it's a colloboration between Joe and Brian.

On that song, definitely. On a couple of other songs on the album -- Strange World, for instance -- I wonder what, exactly, Joe contributed.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »

It's just a gut feeling, speculation of course, but I think Joe Thomas' contributions to TWGMTR, the album - producing, song writing, lyric writing - is much greater than he will ever get credit for.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »

teh hell does this mean? Are you accusing Joe "Dave" Thomas "deceased owner of Wendy's" of Landy-like "I was in the room breathing when Brian did his vocal, I get a co-write credit"?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »

It's just a gut feeling, speculation of course, but I think Joe Thomas' contributions to TWGMTR, the album - producing, song writing, lyric writing - is much greater than he will ever get credit for.

It seems difficult for Joe to be credited any more for song writing than he already is on the album.

Production wise, there is indeed an argument.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

Brian has almost always worked with an outside collaborator for each album, though, especially recently. Why is it hard to believe Mr.Thomas helped with arrangements, lyrics, whatever for the majority of the album?

I don't think in the world of "BRIAN IS IMPORTANT AND DOES EVERYTHING ALWAYS HE STILL OPERATES LIKE HE'S 22 NO REALLY YOU GUYS" that they'd just freely hand out songwriting credits.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:20:40 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »

Brian has almost always worked with an outside collaborator for each album, though, especially recently. Why is it hard to believe Mr.Thomas helped with arrangements, lyrics, whatever for the majority of the album?

I don't think it's hard to believe, but I can see the scepticism. Prolly 'cuz he seems like a business man type more than a creative, quirky wordsmith. I mean, it does look a little odd when the guy's name is plastered all over the album - but then again, people could have said the same thing about Asher or Parks. I wasn't so sure myself until I read the pre-album interview that was posted here with Joe, he seems like he really does look out for Brian's best interests and that they are friends who collaborate.

The same could be said in the affirmative too (i.e - that Brian's name is all over the credits but he didn't do as much as he's credited for etc), but I think that's something no one really wants to think about.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:49 PM »

I don't think in the world of "BRIAN IS IMPORTANT AND DOES EVERYTHING ALWAYS HE STILL OPERATES LIKE HE'S 22 NO REALLY YOU GUYS" that they'd just freely hand out songwriting credits.

Indeed, and remember that Thomas wrote the tag of "Sunshine" (the Imagination song, not the Keepin' The Summer Alive one) that is the most Brian Wilson-sounding part of the song.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »

I think having a good last album like TWGMTR is great, but I think the fact that it should've been an amazing Brian suite that the band declined perfectly ends the saga.

Pet Sounds = Begrudgingly
SMiLE = Declined
Til' I Die = Originally Declined
Mt Vernon and Fairway = Originally Declined
Beach Boys Love You = Apparently, "Doesn't Exist"
Adult/Child = Declined
The Fabled "Pet Sounds 2" project = ignored
My Life Suite = Declined

SO Typical.

The suite wasn't declined - it's not even finished (yet)!

And honestly, if the suite was fully developed and finished, and lets say it ran the length of a full album, I'm sure the label would have had less of a problem with it than Mike Love.

What is the fabled Pet Sounds 2 project?

Anyone know about this?

I'm having trouble finding the quote, in the "50 Sides..." book, but apparently in the IJMFTT era, Don Was helped to set up an environment where Brian could record all the Tracks, and the boys could come in and do vocals to record a sort of follow up to Pet Sounds These sessions resulted in "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery"

Carl's Death apparently hauled the progress, and then the guys decided not to go through with it, after they'd wanted to do it.  This is all known stuff, however its the first time I've seen the sessions presented as a "Follow Up To Pet Sounds"

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2012, 05:06:09 PM »

Joe did explain tho that he did the piano on Think About The Days and Brian came up with all the harmonies on it.

So not impossible that he came up with other ideas, like chords or some lyrics for some other song on the album.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »

Joe did explain tho that he did the piano on Think About The Days and Brian came up with all the harmonies on it.

So not impossible that he came up with other ideas, like chords or some lyrics for some other song on the album.

I remember in an interview Joe stated that he supplied some of the lyrics for Shelter and The Private Life of Bill and Sue after Brian came up with the idea/concept for both songs.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »

Brian relied heavily on the studio musicians input for his instrumental arrangements. He dries his collaborators up. He makes them work for him. Nothing wrong with it. Gee, look at JT's output without Brian. Or Scott's. Or the Wondermints. Or Tony Asher, for that matter. It's the Wilson in the Wilson-Thomas what makes the difference.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »

Umm. He pretty much hates Brian's cousin. He's pretty obsessive about it. Don't see it happening.

As for bringing Asher back... nothing really special happened when Asher and Wilson got together in '96. Let us be realistic.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2012, 06:44:23 PM »

The fact is that joe Thomas is the best collaborator/lyricist to work with Brian since Asher and Parks - and in the final suite he is every bit the equal of Asher or Parks, as the final three songs are every bit as good as anything on Pet Sounds or Smile.  Why are people reluctant to give the man credit?  The proof's in the product.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx