gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 09:19:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 213999 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #550 on: June 17, 2015, 08:05:59 AM »

Safari and USA, high res downloads as per the Kevin Grey reissues online now

Check 'em out! here:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys&categoryID=382

or

http://www.hdtracks.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?Bit_Rate=Bit-Rate%3A96-24&ea_a=&ea_bc=-beach-boys%2FBit-Rate%3A192-24&ea_c=&ea_path=&q=beach+boys  (except PS, couldn't filter it out of my search without making an effort).

There are a variety of formats at HD tracks, to placate the FLAC challenged amongst us.

BTW, the HD tracks D/L's have region restrictions, perhaps there are ways to overcome such geographic tyranny, perhaps there are not, either way, I know not.

I do not know if Acoustic Sounds has similar territorial limitations.

Cover art and liner notes not included, although there were no liners with the SACDs.

Go get 'em!

Damn, I feared this might happen. Gonna stick with physical product. Not paying yet again (though I've said that before…)

SACD vs. 24-bit audio.  Apples and oranges?  Not sure which version would come out on top.  This field of audio is so subjective; many folks can't even differentiate between these formats and standard audio. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 17, 2015, 09:24:33 AM »

It's kind of appealing to have this option, especially without an SACD player.  All I have listened to so far are the redbook CD layers which sound splendid.

I think I'll wait on these though, once the rest of the physical CDs are out and I have them on my shelf, then maybe I'll double back and think about getting the hi-res versions if I have extra money burning a hole in my pocket.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »

It's kind of appealing to have this option, especially without an SACD player.  All I have listened to so far are the redbook CD layers which sound splendid.

I think I'll wait on these though, once the rest of the physical CDs are out and I have them on my shelf, then maybe I'll double back and think about getting the hi-res versions if I have extra money burning a hole in my pocket.
Sometimes I think we all get caught up in the wordy technology. I listen to the CD's that sound best to my ear.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 17, 2015, 03:05:02 PM »

Safari and USA, high res downloads as per the Kevin Grey reissues online now

Check 'em out! here:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=beach%2Cboys&categoryID=382

or

http://www.hdtracks.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?Bit_Rate=Bit-Rate%3A96-24&ea_a=&ea_bc=-beach-boys%2FBit-Rate%3A192-24&ea_c=&ea_path=&q=beach+boys  (except PS, couldn't filter it out of my search without making an effort).

There are a variety of formats at HD tracks, to placate the FLAC challenged amongst us.

BTW, the HD tracks D/L's have region restrictions, perhaps there are ways to overcome such geographic tyranny, perhaps there are not, either way, I know not.

I do not know if Acoustic Sounds has similar territorial limitations.

Cover art and liner notes not included, although there were no liners with the SACDs.

Go get 'em!

Damn, I feared this might happen. Gonna stick with physical product. Not paying yet again (though I've said that before…)
I'm sticking with SACDs for now.  They suit my lifestyle.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 19, 2015, 09:29:46 AM »

We need an international collectors convention one of these days! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 19, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »

We need an international collectors convention one of these days! Cool

I'll be travelling there by email - gonna be too broke for airfares!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 19, 2015, 08:47:49 AM »

Bump…

Anyone know the release dates for the remaining titles, please? I've a pal in the US right now who'd be able to bring them home and save me massive shipping and import costs, if only they're in time!  :D

“We live in divisive times.”
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 19, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »

I wish I did.  I called Acoustic Sounds about a week ago to inquire about when the next batch would be released.  "Soon" was really all they said, sorry to say.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 19, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »

It's worth noting all the albums up to Summer Days are now up in HiRes - though no word on the mastering - I assume it's the Kevin Gray releases still. If anyone was interested. I'm waiting for the SACDs.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
GetHappy!!
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 19, 2015, 05:42:56 PM »

According to this post on the Hoffman forums, referring to a Pono Community conversation, the new hi-res releases are the Kevin Gray masters:

"
[​IMG]FROM THE VAULTS — Rob Jacobs (PonoMusic)
Aloha! Here are the New Reissues for the week. Light on quantity, but again, some very cool titles.

Sly & The Family Stone - Live at the Fillmore East October 4th & 5th 1968 (OK, this is not a reissue, it's actually a new release from a classic artist. I can't wait to check it out!)
The Beach Boys - Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (Mono)
The Beach Boys - Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (Stereo)
The Beach Boys - Summer Days (And Summer Nights) (Mono & Stereo)
Michael Jackson - Got To Be There (mastered by Kevin Reeves at 4th Floor Studios)
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown - Alright Again!

The Beach Boys title Summer Days (and Summer Nights), similar To The Beach Boys Today, is another great pre-Pet Sounds album that features both the upbeat gems like 'California Girls' and lesser-known tracks like the gorgeous a-cappella track 'And Your Dream Comes True.' Mmmmm!

Michael Gearhart (Member)
@Rob Jacobs (PonoMusic) Please let me know if the Beach Boys Summer Days album Mono and Stereo are the Kevin Gray mastered editions.
[​IMG][​IMG]
Rob Jacobs (PonoMusic)
Summer Days mono and stereo are in fact Kevin Gray mastered editions.

Michael Gearhart (Member)
Thanks @Rob Jacobs (PonoMusic), I appreciate it. Great news that these are the Kevin Gray masters.

"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 29, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »

Has anyone purchased Today! and/or Summer Days... from HDTracks? How do they sound? Do the stereo mixes sound better than the 2012 offerings? Was Kevin Gray able to work his magic on these two releases?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: July 30, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »

I bought the European pressing of "No Pier Pressure" last weekend (0602537918959  - came out late May I think). Seems to suffer from the same noise issues at the beginning of "Last Song" as mentioned on this thread earlier.

Shut Down Volume 2 (besides SIP) is the only original Beach Boys album on vinyl I don't own and I keep picking up the mono acoustic sounds reissue and considering buying it at my local store but its €37!!! which is a lot of money for a what..maybe 25 minutes of music? I'll probably crack soon and buy it  Grin

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »

It would be nice if anyone on this board who has contact with Brian Wilson's camp could let them know that there is an issue with NPP on vinyl so it could be fixed. The noise during Last Song is clearly a pressing issue since everyone who has bought the album on vinyl and listened to it has the same problem. It seems like something someone would want fixed.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 30, 2015, 03:04:32 PM »

It would be nice if anyone on this board who has contact with Brian Wilson's camp could let them know that there is an issue with NPP on vinyl so it could be fixed. The noise during Last Song is clearly a pressing issue since everyone who has bought the album on vinyl and listened to it has the same problem. It seems like something someone would want fixed.

And the reason I haven't bought it yet and I buy everything (several times over!)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 30, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »

I bought the European pressing of "No Pier Pressure" last weekend (0602537918959  - came out late May I think). Seems to suffer from the same noise issues at the beginning of "Last Song" as mentioned on this thread earlier.

Shut Down Volume 2 (besides SIP) is the only original Beach Boys album on vinyl I don't own and I keep picking up the mono acoustic sounds reissue and considering buying it at my local store but its €37!!! which is a lot of money for a what..maybe 25 minutes of music? I'll probably crack soon and buy it  Grin
25 minutes x the number of times you'll play it Smiley.  I think/hope you'll go back to this well after playing!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Bill Ed
« Reply #565 on: July 30, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »

25 minutes x the number of times you'll play it Smiley.  I think/hope you'll go back to this well after playing!

I've been spoiled by the remixes of material from Shut Down Volume II which appear on Keep an Eye on Summer, and I don't listen to the new SACD very often. I wish they had included the better mixes, but I understand why they didn't. Still, if the idea was to get the best sounding representation of this album out there, they missed the boat.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »

I've been spoiled by the remixes of material from Shut Down Volume II which appear on Keep an Eye on Summer, and I don't listen to the new SACD very often. I wish they had included the better mixes, but I understand why they didn't. Still, if the idea was to get the best sounding representation of this album out there, they missed the boat.
Actually, it was the best sounding original mixes, which is what they are. Now, can they make the best sounding, new stereo mixes with albums like Today & Summer Days.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bill Ed
« Reply #567 on: July 30, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »

Actually, it was the best sounding original mixes, which is what they are. Now, can they make the best sounding, new stereo mixes with albums like Today & Summer Days.

Oh, I don't disagree at all. As I said, I think its clear why they used original sources. But even a high-resolution format can't do much for the original stereo mix of Don't Worry Baby, for example. As the original stereo mixes weren't Brian's anyway, I wouldn't have objected to newer versions being used. That's all I'm saying.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 30, 2015, 06:18:39 PM »

I wrote Acoustic Sounds at the first of the week about when the next batch of titles would be out. No reply.  Shrug

Surely they won't choose to drop the remaining 9 titles in November, all at once, right?  Wink

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 01, 2015, 12:44:40 AM »

I wrote Acoustic Sounds at the first of the week about when the next batch of titles would be out. No reply.  Shrug

Surely they won't choose to drop the remaining 9 titles in November, all at once, right?  Wink
Thanks for doin' that JCM (the writing to AS thing), much appreciated.

Grin re November! Well, my loan-shark would like that! I'm predicting/totally guessing everything up to P/S will come November, with the big Green held off 'til next year.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 11, 2015, 09:07:54 AM »

Just a head's up, HDTracks has released Pet Sounds (M&S) & Holland (S) today. Though these are not mastered by Kevin Gray, Holland is sporting We Got Love as the last track. Also, there is a 15% off code out there; it is HDSEPT11. This code may only be today only, not sure, though. Both albums are in 24/192 and 24/96.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 11, 2015, 10:41:06 AM »

Just a head's up, HDTracks has released Pet Sounds (M&S) & Holland (S) today. Though these are not mastered by Kevin Gray, Holland is sporting We Got Love as the last track. Also, there is a 15% off code out there; it is HDSEPT11. This code may only be today only, not sure, though. Both albums are in 24/192 and 24/96.

If only they had put WGL at the end of side 1 where it belongs, it would have made this worth purchasing

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 11, 2015, 11:21:25 AM »

If only they had put WGL at the end of side 1 where it belongs, it would have made this worth purchasing
Yep, but you'd still have SOS leading off where it doesn't belong, per the original tracking.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 11, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »

Yep, but you'd still have SOS leading off where it doesn't belong, per the original tracking.

That could have gone on Side 2, since it wasn't an original track

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 11, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »

Please excuse my ignorance but does this mean the vinyl mono and stereo Pet Sounds (when/if they finally materialise) will not be mastered by Kevin Gray either, or are the HD tracks a separate thing?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx