gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680819 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:08:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 14 Beach Boys albums coming to vinyl/SACD  (Read 213244 times)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 09, 2015, 04:48:54 AM »

The track 7 'Why do fools fall in love' on stereo section of Shut down part2 AP SACD is alternate mono mix?
To my ears, the handclap of the track 7 is clearer and bigger than WDFFIL(track 19) on mono section.(especoally from 1:25)
WDFFIL on the original stereo LP was defferent mix from the original mono LP? Though I thought the two were same mix.

I listened Shut down part2 2000 remaster too.
But the mix of WDFFIL seems like same as track 19 on AP SACD........

And there is a noise on the track 7 WDFFIL around 1:12~13. Is this mastering error?
How about your Shut down part2 AP SACD?

I mainly noted the longer fade out in the "mono" version, but it wouldn't surprise me if other things slipped through. Indeed, any perculiar defects etc would be inherent in the master - to remove them would detract from the athenticity of these reissues.

Freddie French-Pounce. Thank you for your comment.

yes.I understand these reissues was mastered with a view to produce the best sound.(most based on original master)
so,I guess WDFFIL(track19) in the mono version is same mix as original mono LP mix.
But the 'louder handclaps' mono mix of WDFFIL(track7)  is new to me.
Have you ever  listened the mix before? Is it same as the one on the original stereo SDP2 LP?
Of course, I checked AGD'S web site. but no any information about WDFFIL on SDP2 stereo LP.
I can't confirm it because I don't have the LP....

If those were same mix, it would mean Chuk Britz (or Brian) mixed again  WDFFIL's mono mix for stereo LP?

and How about the noise on track 7 at 1:12~13?
there is on your copy too?

I have a pristine UK re-pressing of this album from the 80s I believe at home, I'll pick it up later, and do a rip of the track to compare. I'll also give my SACD another listen to and let you know.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2015, 05:48:41 AM »

The track 7 'Why do fools fall in love' on stereo section of Shut down part2 AP SACD is alternate mono mix?
To my ears, the handclap of the track 7 is clearer and bigger than WDFFIL(track 19) on mono section.(especoally from 1:25)
WDFFIL on the original stereo LP was defferent mix from the original mono LP? Though I thought the two were same mix.

And there is a noise on the track 7 WDFFIL around 1:12~13. Is this mastering error?

I mainly noted the longer fade out in the "mono" version, but it wouldn't surprise me if other things slipped through. Indeed, any perculiar defects etc would be inherent in the master - to remove them would detract from the athenticity of these reissues.

yes.I understand these reissues was mastered with a view to produce the best sound.(most based on original master)
so,I guess WDFFIL(track19) in the mono version is same mix as original mono LP mix.
Have you ever  listened the mix before? Is it same as the one on the original stereo SDP2 LP?
Of course, I checked AGD'S web site. but no any information about WDFFIL on SDP2 stereo LP.

If those were same mix, it would mean Chuk Britz (or Brian) mixed again  WDFFIL's mono mix for stereo LP?

I have a pristine UK re-pressing of this album from the 80s I believe at home, I'll pick it up later, and do a rip of the track to compare. I'll also give my SACD another listen to and let you know.

Freddie French-Pounce
Thank you for taking your time.

All I said is about the CD layer, not the SACD layer.(I haven't listened the SACD layer yet.)
When listening to the noise, listening by headphone would be easy to find it out.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:18:37 AM by sangheon » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 09, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »

Man, I am having a hard time taking the plunge and getting Surfin' Safari. Is it really worth the $26. I feel cheap, but after buying the other 4 with both mono and stereo, spending that much on just the mono, I just can't reason it in my head. HELP! Wink

Oh man... Surfin' Safari is a big favorite.  It's before they had any pressure to record hits -- no pressure to "formulize" anything, since the formula was still baking.  I've never understood the dislike of this album -- it's so innocent and devoid of pretension, pressure  (peer or otherwise) it's Smiley Smile before they tried to get weird.  It's just naturally weird!

One of their best album titles and covers too.  Surfin' Safari is Beach Boys gospel to me.  It's what the whole journey is about.  It's what makes Today and Pet Sounds so special.

Does that help?
I like the album fine. It was just the price for mono only vs. mono/stereo for the others. It came in the mail today. It sounds great.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 10, 2015, 05:01:45 PM »

Freddie French-Pounce

All I said is about the CD layer, not the SACD layer.(I haven't listened the SACD layer yet.)
When listening to the noise, listening by headphone would be easy to find it out.

The louder handclaps are indeed on my Stereo LP - I forgot how good this LP sounded actually!

Also, is the "noise" you're hearing under the "Why do fooools fallll innnn looooove" bit, with some distorted echo in the right channel? That's what I timed and heard on my LP, still yet to check the SACD.

My LP is a 1989 stereo UK pressing by "C5 Records", very clean etc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:06:12 PM by Freddie French-Pounce » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 11, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »

Freddie French-Pounce

The louder handclaps are indeed on my Stereo LP - I forgot how good this LP sounded actually!

Also, is the "noise" you're hearing under the "Why do fooools fallll innnn looooove" bit, with some distorted echo in the right channel? That's what I timed and heard on my LP, still yet to check the SACD.

My LP is a 1989 stereo UK pressing by "C5 Records", very clean etc

Freddie French-Pounce
Thank you so much for confirming it!
I wuold like to hear the Stereo LP!

Shut Dwon vol.2 Stereo LP WDFFIL mono mix is different from Mono LP mix, although I have thought the two was same until now. So, Chuck Britz or Brian might have mixed WDFFIL again for the Stereo LP. Smiley

Yes,The "noise" is on the A cappella section. I listened it again, it's difficult to describe it.
Here is similar sound on Leon Russell's A Song For You at 3:41-42.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvazuyF6eXw
The similar noise is on WDFFIL. just like "Why do foools falllllliiiii"the noise"n looove!"

I tried upload WDFFIL track 7 on soundcloud. But ripped the CD to mp3 or WAV, the noise turned to a little click sound.....
So, It may not as bad as A Song For You's one.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:50:02 PM by sangheon » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 11, 2015, 05:40:54 PM »

-snip-

Freddie French-Pounce

Shut Dwon vol.2 Stereo LP WDFFIL mono mix is different from Mono LP mix, although I have thought the two was same until now. So, Chuck Britz or Brian might have mixed WDFFIL again for the Stereo LP. Smiley

Yes,The "noise" is on the A cappella section. I listened it again, it's difficult to describe it.
The similar noise is on WDFFIL. just like "Why do foools falllllliiiii"the noise"n looove!"

I tried upload WDFFIL track 7 on soundcloud. But ripped the CD to mp3 or WAV, the noise turned to a little click sound.....

[/quote]

Listening to Leon, that is indeed the same thing I hear on my LP.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 11, 2015, 06:46:30 PM »

I like the album fine. It was just the price for mono only vs. mono/stereo for the others. It came in the mail today. It sounds great.
Ah yes, quite true.  Glad to hear it sounds good.  I have yet to take the plunge and get any of these.  Waiting for Amazon to get them and my funds to accumulate.

Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:44 AM »

-snip-

Freddie French-Pounce

[/quote]

Really? Shocked
So, The noise also might have been on the original stereo LP master....
Now, I understood there are the two WDFFIL mono mixes (on stereo LP and on mono LP) and also the 2000 stereo remaster CD's WDFFIL mix is actually the mono LP mix.

Thank you so much for taking your time!

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 12, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »

-snip-

Freddie French-Pounce

Really? Shocked
Now, I understood there are the two WDFFIL mono mixes (on stereo LP and on mono LP) and also the 2000 stereo remaster CD's WDFFIL mix is actually the mono LP mix.

[/quote]

No problem, I find this fascinating too!

My one weird question here is - if it's a different mix, WHY did they not make it even partially stereo?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 12, 2015, 10:50:40 AM »

So can we take inventory here? Who has the mono/stereo SACD of what albums?

I think I might buy a new SACD player (Oppo BDP-103D) to play the stereo versions if reviews are favorable.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 12, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »

I think I might buy a new SACD player (Oppo BDP-103D) to play the stereo versions if reviews are favorable.

I have all 5 released so far

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 12, 2015, 04:02:47 PM »

Do you play them with a SACD player or a CD player? Have you played them with both formats? If so, do you notice much of a difference?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 12, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »

Do you play them with a SACD player or a CD player? Have you played them with both formats? If so, do you notice much of a difference?

Still lacking SACD support sadly

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 12, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »

Mikie, I have all 5 as well. They sound really good and the closest to the original albums. It was surely a different experience than the 2001 and 2012 remasters. I happen to like 2001 issues hearing the vocals so clean, but these SACD's give you that more authentic feel.

EDIT: Only played the CD Layer. No SACD player at the moment. Unless the price comes down on them, my discs will only ever be heard on the CD layer. Wink
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:11:21 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 12, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »

I have 2-5, with SS on order. My SACD player is due to arrive today (speakers not too far behind… just got to choose some!). What I've heard on the CDs I love though due to kids' story times etc I still haven't had hangs to directly compare with previous releases (sorry, Alan!).

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 13, 2015, 01:45:48 AM »

Mikie - my inventory is 1 SACD Player, 0 Analogue Production BB SACDs  Grin

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 13, 2015, 03:41:07 AM »

The only SACD I've grabbed so far is Shut Down Volume 2. I've had a Sony SACD player for years and I find the SACD layer sounds fantastic. I have not played the CD layer in my system, though I've ripped it for portable use.

I've bought all five mono LPs. The pressing and sound quality of all is top-notch. I look forward to the additional releases throughout the year.
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 13, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »

-snip-

Freddie French-Pounce

Really? Shocked

No problem, I find this fascinating too!

My one weird question here is - if it's a different mix, WHY did they not make it even partially stereo?
[/quote]

I can't understand why only WDFFIL is mono mix except Denny's Drums on stereo LP too.
The reason why they didn't make it might be the final multitrack tape.
The WDFFIL's final multitrack master tape is 3 track tape.
If it's like this Track 1: instrumental track, Track 2: lead vo, Track 3: bg vo, I think they could make a stereo mix like Don't Worry Baby. (lead vo on one side, bg vo on other side, and the track on center)
But they didn't. So, The multitrack tape might contain only two tracks. (for example 1:inst track, 2: all vo)
I don't know...but I suppose Alan Boyd know the reason and what is on the multitrack tape.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:17:47 AM by sangheon » Logged
Sangheon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 13, 2015, 07:13:11 AM »

I have all 5 SACDs too. but I don' have a SACD player.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 13, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »

Mikie,  I don't have any of the SACD Beach Boys, but have many Hybrid SACD discs (Stones, Dylan ect.) - the SACD layer does indeed sound better.  When I do buy one it will be Pet Sounds, then decide where to go from there.  Last I looked that was coming in August.

What I really want to add is about the Oppo players.  I've bought three of them, currently have two hooked up:  BDP-93, to a Denon AVR-2309CI.  And the one you are looking at, BDR-103 to a Denon AVR-3312CI.

I bought the 103 when it first came out in late 2012, and have had zero problems.  For the extra $100 you can get the Darbee chip on the newer models, but the player is the same 103.  The Darbee chip gets mixed reviews, and will only help on the video end.  I'm not sure how much more depth you can get.  When I play something as high quality as the Lord of the Rings Blu-ray set, the image is fantastic - I can't imagine how much better the Darbee chip could make it look, it's 3D quality depth.  I have a 3D Panasonic Viera, but don't use it as such...it does make me feel dizzy LOL.  Maybe the monitor helps to get that depth, don't know.  My computer is also 3D capable, but I feel I got too wrapped up with the 3D craze back in 2012 when I was upgrading everything.  Anyway, since the 103 is the same with or without the Darbee chip, I'd just go with the regular 103 - unless you want to spend the extra $100.

With the new Beach Boys titles, I'm just not sure yet.  I bought most of the 2012 Cd releases, and I'm happy with the original vinyl - 180 gram is a myth.  I'd be jumping quicker for Blu-ray, that matters big time.  So far that's only Pet Sounds, right?  

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: May 13, 2015, 08:43:21 AM »

Just a little tidbit - if any of you own a Sony DVD or Blu-Ray player, more than likely you can play SACD's.  Pretty much all of Sony's gear is decodes SACD. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 13, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »

Just a little tidbit - if any of you own a Sony DVD or Blu-Ray player, more than likely you can play SACD's.  Pretty much all of Sony's gear is decodes SACD. 

Nah, I have a Sony Blu-Ray player and it doesn't play SACD's.  I also have a 2012 model Panasonic Blu-Ray/3D player that doesn't play SACD's.

While the Oppo is a little more expensive, it plays pretty much everything you throw at it.

Thanks for the feedback, boys.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 13, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »

Definitely get a SACD player, if you can afford it.  We're not talking night and day -- but it's just a bit more real.  The music sounds a bit deeper and relaxed.

I think I got my Oppo for the Analogue Productions CCR Sacds -- and have since bought a crapload of Sacds.  Miles Davis, The Band.  It's a bigger sound.  But you can't always point to it, like you can with Standard Def TVs vs HDTVs.  It's on a more sub-atomic (?) level.

Bottom line. Don't think about it.  You're buying these Beach Boys SACDs for the what, third, fifth, sixth time?  What's an Oppo cost in relation to all that?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:57:13 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 14, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »

Just bought all available titles in mono and stereo (where applicable) on vinyl!!!!  Smiley

I am not a Beach Boys archivist/historian so when I post my review I will be unable to do a 5 version deep comparison as Custom Machine has graciously and informatively done.

I will approach my future review as a diehard fan for the past six years who has heard these songs many times, mostly digitally, in mono, stereo, and various remixed/remastered forms.  I also have Little Deuce Coupe in original mono LP but it is in pretty bad shape so I don't think it's really worth comparing it to this new one.

Anyways, I'm glad to have the definitive versions of these albums for once and for all.  I think I'm going to be spoiled after hearing these...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:49:37 PM by dcowboys107 » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 14, 2015, 02:35:09 PM »

I've got the first five and they sound wonderful, but I haven't yet bothered to listen to the SACD layer, just the traditional CD layer. 

If you're in the market for a Blu-ray/SACD player, you definitely can't go wrong with an Oppo. 

As for me, I have four Sony Blu-ray players that play SACDs.  Two are hooked up to home theater systems, but my main listening room and ancillary listening rooms, as opposed to primarily video watching rooms, don't have the ability to play the SACD layer.  Personally, as long as we're talking about the exact same recording and mastering job, as is the case with these tracks, I've found any benefit to be heard from the SACD layer falls into the psychic gratification category more so than an discernible difference in sound quality compared to a standard res CD.  The result is that I don't go out of my way to purchase SACDs and any SACDs I own are hybrid CD/SACDs, which do give you the opportunity to compare both layers, and better yet, have someone play the various layers without advising you which one you're listening to as you attempt to identify which layer is playing.  (Ideally, such a listening session would be double blind, to remove any verbal bias, either intentional or unintentional, which might be imparted from the person in charge of playing the various layers.  And then you have to do it a ton of times to make it statistically significant.  Or you could just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music, which is going to sound great coming from either layer, and may well seem to sound better to you if you know it's coming from the high res SACD layer.)

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx